Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Singapore REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by BENLEE
2) So So internet speed
How fast was it?
Old Nov 20, 2017, 12:41 am

Currently in-house. Wifi speed is pretty disappointing at 9mbps (compared to that of Westin Spore at 26mbps).

Worse than wifi speed is the weak shower pressure. Housekeeping service is also puzzling - no toiletries replenished, bathrobes left in sofa -- even the bed is not made as nicely as typical Hyatt standard.

Not a fan of the rubber slippers, which are considered "outside" slippers for many Asians.

Last edited by broadwayboy; Nov 20, 2017 at 2:22 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by broadwayboy
Not a fan of the rubber slippers, which are considered "outside" slippers for many Asians.
That's pretty surprising, given how good the Andaz Tokyo slippers are.

Think I'll just stick with Marina Bay Sands.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:13 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Rubber slippers

Sounds like something to wear to go to the pool

There have also been some reports of service failures on TA.

And their website is in serious need of updating. No room photos, no mention of room service, and from about 10 days ago the description of one of the restaurants, the Green Oven, seems to have disappeared.

Sounds like the hotel is not quite ready for prime time.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:20 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Surely that's a mistake and the real slippers haven't been delivered yet?

Based on cash rates, this property is overpriced as a Cat 6.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:27 pm

Programs: Krisflyer PPS, SPG, Hyatt GoldPassport, Shangri-la Golden Circle, British Airways ExecClub
Currently in-house. Wifi speed is pretty disappointing at 9mbps (compared to that of Westin Spore at 26mbps).

Worse than wifi speed is the weak shower pressure. Housekeeping service is also puzzling - no toiletries replenished, bathrobes left in sofa -- even the bed is not made as nicely as typical Hyatt standard.

Agreed with the above. It's now 2017. 9mps simply doesn't cut it anymore. Hate those slippers. Just not comfortable.
I like their F&B but its quite expensive. No buffet option.
Also there is no turn down service but available on request. All in all, still much to improve.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:54 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by BENLEE
Agreed with the above. It's now 2017. 9mps simply doesn't cut it anymore. Hate those slippers. Just not comfortable.
I like their F&B but its quite expensive. No buffet option.
Also there is no turn down service but available on request. All in all, still much to improve.
Interesting. They actually provided a turn down service without a request when I stayed there! However, it was extremely limited and simply involved making the bed and refilling the water bottles/placing a cup next to the bed. The bathrobe that I had left on the rocking chair was untouched and our bathroom was not refreshed.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:55 pm

They're cute, but not comfortable...

We had two turn down service so far --- not much was done. Water was replenished, but not toiletries.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 5:57 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Gold | Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Gold
They're cute, but not comfortable...

We had two turn down service so far --- not much was done. Water was replenished, but not toiletries.
Wow, that's a change. There were normal white cloth disposable slippers in the room when we stayed there!
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:31 pm

Those flip-flops absolutely must be for going to the pool. The absence of standard room slippers is probably just another example of a housekeeping failure.

If they don't replace the towels at turndown, they will be getting a phone call from us each evening. While in many locations we only shower once a day depending on the season, in Singapore it is twice a day year round, and hotel towels simply do not dry quickly.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 7:48 pm

Few random thoughts...

We hang our towels after morning shower. They're left hanging by housekeeping (I assume for "green" reason). But the problem is when we shower again in the evening, they're not very dry.

Housekeeping needs major re-training. Our interaction with them has been comical. When we pass staff in the corridors, their reaction has been 1. Walking away quickly (seriously!) 2. Stare 3. Say Good Morning AFTER we greet them. The in-room housekeeping job is also quite sloppy.

Our living room AC does not work properly. For those who like their room cold, this is a major issue. We leave the doors to bedroom open and crank the bedroom AC to 17. It helps somewhat, but not enough if you like it cold.

Suites' toiletries is by Roberto Cavalli. The scent is nice and subtle - didn't even know that that brand made toiletries.

Evening reception serves mediocre wine (as expected).

HDMI connectivity to living room's TV is by the wooden box on the floor. The TV in the bedroom is connected through the HDMI panel in the living room! Imagine that!

The B3 access to Bugis is great, but brace yourself for the very strong construction smell. This will be a non-issue in a few weeks, but the odor is quite unpleasant right now.

Most Uber/Grab drivers don't know this hotel. The entrance is quite tricky as driver has to go up the ramp right after parking. Most drivers will just pass it by and get confused. We had this problem three times already. Not enough signage and hotel still too new.

F&B outlets are not designed distinctly enough to be different. They just look like a series of room serving different menus, but atmosphere feels generically the same.
Old Nov 20, 2017, 9:50 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Based on cash rates, this property is overpriced as a Cat 6.
But so is the GH at a Cat 5. We've never actually stayed there because we hate the Orchard Rd area, but I always book it as a backup and have never had rates (Senior) above 300 SGD, which would be very bad value for 20,000 pt redemption. For our dates in Feb, I have Senior rates of 288 SGD at GH and 333 SGD at Andaz, a difference that seems about right between Cat 5 and Cat 6, but neither is good value on all pt or P&C.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Nov 21, 2017 at 12:35 am
Old Nov 20, 2017, 10:01 pm

F&B outlets are not designed distinctly enough to be different. They just look like a series of room serving different menus, but atmosphere feels generically the same.
Yes, I've noticed from the photos that in spite of all the hype about the local culture and ethnicity, the design of the restaurants seem very generically bland. From the descriptions on the hotel's website I would have thought they would borrow a few ideas from Haj Lane, etc.

But I can do with bland. I sure hope they get the housekeeping up to par by the time we're there in Feb. 13 nights of housekeeping issues would make for a less than pleasant stay.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 12:25 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
But so is the GH at a Cat 5.
No argument there. They should each move down a category.
OsakaWino and solewalker like this.
Old Nov 21, 2017, 3:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I can't believe they put such a tacky message on their slippers!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.