FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Gold Passport survey--Diamond status w/50K spend? (Chase Credit Card) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1652528-gold-passport-survey-diamond-status-w-50k-spend-chase-credit-card.html)

wilma Feb 5, 2015 2:11 pm

Gold Passport survey--Diamond status w/50K spend? (Chase Credit Card)

I just received an email from Hyatt asking to do a survey. They laid out some possible new features of the Hyatt credit card and asked several questions. One of the new features was diamond status after spending $50,000 on the CC! :confused:

hailstorm Feb 5, 2015 2:33 pm

Here's what I saw proposed:

http://www.tokyohyattfan.com/newcard.png

Jerryf08 Feb 5, 2015 2:52 pm

I haven't gotten this email yet but overall I think it's a pretty good change. Especially the 1:1 point transfer for airline miles. It'll be a lot easier to get companion pass with WN. I don't think the $2000 spend will be a that big of a problem for new cardmembers. The $50000 a year spend will be attainable by some, I would like if they still kept the stay/night bonuses but at a lower spend. $10 bump in annual fee is not a big change but not a favorable one.

Jimgotkp Feb 5, 2015 2:56 pm

Almost $4K a month in MS, which shouldn't be hard for many, especially when buying gift cards for utility/rent/etc. I don't think people would be pleased since there's a big difference in benefits between HGP Plat and Diamond compared to HH Gold and Diamond (the other top-tier status you can earn from CC spend).

JAFU007 Feb 5, 2015 3:01 pm

Just got and completed the same survey. Looks like more and more loyally are moving to spend on our credit card. Based on this you could be diamond and never have a paid stay.

iherebyresign Feb 5, 2015 3:14 pm

Don't like this idea - it would probably lead to overpopulation in the Diamond pool, and thus a reduction in benefits.

austin_modern Feb 5, 2015 3:41 pm

"oh no, change!!!!1!!1one!one!!" - chicken little running for the hills.

hailstorm Feb 5, 2015 3:45 pm

Another option being considered: replacing the two free nights at any Hyatt spend reward with 30000 points.

airbornedaddy Feb 5, 2015 4:05 pm

I'll reserve judgement until I get the email too... but at first blush, it looks like a terrible slippery slope.

-AD

hailstorm Feb 5, 2015 4:12 pm

I like how this survey had zero places for entry of free text.

Hyatt values our opinion, they just don't want to hear what we have to say.

jayer Feb 5, 2015 6:05 pm

The current slight boost for credit card spending is one thing amd does impart an incentive. But full Diamond status for credit card spend only? What is the point of a loyalty program anyway. Here's an idea: fixed criteria for Diamond based on stays, or nights, or a blend. Really should add a way for the less-frequent but high rollers to qualify for spend at Hyatt. They have a point. After that no specials. No quick qualifies. No reindeer games.

hailstorm Feb 5, 2015 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by jayer (Post 24299527)
What is the point of a loyalty program anyway.

Obviously the point is to increase revenue for the company. Which credit card spending on a co-branded card must do fairly well for them to be considering this.

iherebyresign Feb 5, 2015 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm (Post 24299934)
Obviously the point is to increase revenue for the company. Which credit card spending on a co-branded card must do fairly well for them to be considering this.

I've always wondered - What kind of revenue stream is created for Hyatt (or United, Marriott, AA, etc) from co-branded credit cards? Does anyone have the insider info?

antonius66 Feb 5, 2015 8:29 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0; SM-G900V Build/LRX21T) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.89 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I absolutely detest the idea of giving Diamond status away with cc spend.

craigthemif Feb 5, 2015 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by antonius66 (Post 24300090)
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; Android 5.0; SM-G900V Build/LRX21T) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/40.0.2214.89 Mobile Safari/537.36)

I absolutely detest the idea of giving Diamond status away with cc spend.

+1.

That said, it's a whole lot better than giving Diamond status away to HHonors credit card holders through a Diamond Trial. (now gone of course...)