Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Want to have Diamond Status until 2017 Feb. When to Complete?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2015, 8:24 pm
Original Poster

In the past, when you did a Diamond challenge, you got Diamond until the following year if you completed it after May of that year.

Is it the same thing with regular diamond qualification?

For example, if I do 24 stays by May 31st 2015 and do the last one that will put me to Diamond on June 2015. Would I have diamond until 2017 Feb?

Or regardless of when I become Diamond in 2015, it's good until 2017 Feb?
Old Jan 12, 2015, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum
When you complete your 25 stays, you'll get diamond status for the remainder of the current year, and the entire next year. So it should be good until Feb 2017, regardless of when you get your 25 stays/50 nights.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 1:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nowstime
.....Or regardless of when I become Diamond in 2015, it's good until 2017 Feb?
This.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:02 am

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Hmmmmmm. Are you sure? I looked at the T & C's for getting and maintaining status, and here's what it says:

1. Hyatt Gold Passport Diamond membership will be given to Hyatt Gold Passport members who, in the course of one calendar year (January-December), record a minimum of twenty-five (25) Hyatt stays or fifty (50) Hyatt nights for which member pays an Eligible Rate and provides a valid Hyatt Gold Passport number at time of reservation or check-in. Members will not receive credit toward tier status or promotions for nights when Ineligible Rates are paid. Stays for which Travel Partner miles are chosen instead of Hyatt Gold Passport points will count toward Diamond membership qualification when member pays an Eligible Rate and provides a valid Hyatt Gold Passport number at time of reservation or check-in. Member must requalify each year for Diamond membership. Qualification is based on a calendar year, January through December.

The conditions for qualifying through the former Diamond challenge did indeed award Diamond for up to 1 & 1/2 years, but according to "regular" T & C's, you need to requalify every year to have status. If someone were to qualify the regular way this year, they would have to requalify next year to have status for the following year? Or, do the T & C's not apply for the first year someone qualifies for Diamond? I don't think the first year I got Diamond it lasted through the following 2 years, although it's been too long to be sure.

If someone got Diamond this year (2015), then it should only be good until February 2016? (Member must requalify each year for Diamond membership.)
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:08 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by nhwiki
If someone got Diamond this year (2015), then it should only be good until February 2016? (Member must requalify each year for Diamond membership.)
No.

If you qualify by the end of 2015, status will last through all of 2016 as previously mentioned.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:07 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Originally Posted by dtwdoc
No.

If you qualify by the end of 2015, status will last through all of 2016 as previously mentioned.
Correct plus the tag end until 2/17
Old Jan 13, 2015, 12:35 pm

Programs: SPG Plt, Hyatt Diamond, DL
Originally Posted by peteropny
Correct plus the tag end until 2/17
yes, exactly
Old Jan 13, 2015, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The rationale for having different lengths of status when acquired through a challenge is that this is oriented toward someone who is newly switching to Hyatt. If they do this late in the year, to give them the status for the rest of the calendar year but bounce them down at least one tier for the following year (when they didn't have enough time to reasonably hit 25 stays or 50 nights in the second half of the year) would be counterproductive to keeping them with Hyatt.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 4:29 pm

I just called in to Hyatt to inquire about the Diamond Challenge and was told it is now by hotel referral only. The front desk or the sales team at a hotel you are staying can refer you and you have to stay 12 nights in the next 90 days from when you are referred. I was always under the assumption from what all the main bloggers were writing that you could decide to participate and just had to complete 12 nights.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 5:53 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Exploralist, Marriot Silver
Originally Posted by sancann
I was always under the assumption from what all the main bloggers were writing that you could decide to participate and just had to complete 12 nights.
Since their inside information was in this case incorrect, therein lies the problem.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:39 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by nowstime
In the past, when you did a Diamond challenge, you got Diamond until the following year if you completed it after May of that year.

Is it the same thing with regular diamond qualification?

For example, if I do 24 stays by May 31st 2015 and do the last one that will put me to Diamond on June 2015. Would I have diamond until 2017 Feb?

Or regardless of when I become Diamond in 2015, it's good until 2017 Feb?
The last one. I posted my real world example below.

I was a Diamond until 3/1/2014. I regained Diamond status in April 2014 with 25 stays in 2014. My diamond status expires 3/1/2016.

I was also 4 DSUs for 2014 and will get 4 DSUs in 2015.

Bottom line: you get your 25stays/50nights in 2015 and you're Diamond until 3/1/2017.

Hope that helps.
Old Jan 13, 2015, 8:43 pm

Programs: Marriott LT Tit; Hyatt Explorist; Hilton CC Gold; IHG CC Plt; Hertz (MR) 5 star
Originally Posted by sancann
I just called in to Hyatt to inquire about the Diamond Challenge and was told it is now by hotel referral only. The front desk or the sales team at a hotel you are staying can refer you and you have to stay 12 nights in the next 90 days from when you are referred. I was always under the assumption from what all the main bloggers were writing that you could decide to participate and just had to complete 12 nights.
What you've read is how it used to work for Diamond Trials. I'm not familiar with the new process, but I'm glad that they've tightened it up. In the past, Diamond Trials were given out like candy. Make that given out like Marriott Gold status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.