FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hyatt | World of Hyatt (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt-418/)
-   -   Best in the System: Cat. 4 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/hyatt-world-hyatt/1644537-best-system-cat-4-a.html)

pricesquire Jan 9, 2015 7:39 pm

Best in the System: Cat. 4

Hi all:

Didn't see a wiki/sticky, and a prelim search didn't come up with much. A few (very dated) blog posts here and there, but couldn't find something on FT. So, if this is a duplicate, I apologize. If it's not a duplicate, it's a much needed sticky.

So, the Mrs. and I both have a Cat. 4 cert from our Chase Hyatt card.

Trying to figure out the best value lux hotel in the system at this category. Worldwide.

Thoughts?

nineworldseries Jan 9, 2015 8:27 pm

Not qualified to speak on the rest of the world, but for the US I would go with the Mission Bay Spa and Marina, Escala Lodge, and Andaz Savannah.

iflyjetz Jan 9, 2015 8:29 pm

Rule out the following:
Both Mlife properties; not a good value.
Hyatt Regency Trinidad. Nice hotel, but not somewhere you want to go for a vacation; it is not safe where it's located.

Orlando: HR Orlando is nicer than the HR Orlando airport.

GH Beijing was nice.

I didn't think that HR Phuket was worth it. Strange layout and not a great beach location. Much better places in the world to go to.

I don't have any other inputs.

goldenargo85 Jan 9, 2015 8:35 pm

great 4 but soon to be 5 is Grand Hyatt Macau

MSPeconomist Jan 9, 2015 8:36 pm

I'm not sure about the exact current categories, but some mid-range Hyatt standouts in my mind would include Grand Hyatt Tampa Bay, Tamara (near ABQ), Scottsdale Gainey Ranch, Manchester Grand Hyatt in San Diego, and ICN Grand Hyatt. How about Bali if the location doesn't matter? At some of these properties, your experience will depend a lot on whether you're Diamond. Category 4 is unlikely to be true luxury in any sense outside of very cheap locations such as Thailand.

sam_goh Jan 9, 2015 8:59 pm

Grand Hyatt Kuala Lumpur is pretty nice.

oc2005 Jan 9, 2015 9:21 pm

My favorite "4's" are:

Andaz Papagayo (incredible value, especially in high season!!!)
Grand Hyatt Seattle
Hyatt Olive 8
Hyatt Regency San Francisco (great value midweek in particular given the crazy SF hotel prices)

farnorthtrader Jan 9, 2015 9:23 pm

For me, Andaz peninsula Papagayo is the best Hyatt we have stayed at and only cat 4.

jpdx Jan 9, 2015 9:44 pm

Imo, the nicest Cat 4s in Asia are the GHs in KUL and MFM, and in North America, GH and O8 Seattle. However, these aren't necessarily the most expensive, aka best bang for the free night cert.

Jay00848 Jan 9, 2015 9:52 pm

Agree Hyatt Papagayo!!!!

SFOPhD Jan 9, 2015 10:07 pm

Grand Hyatt Melbourne has my vote.

For a couple more weeks Park Hyatt Seoul too.

craigthemif Jan 9, 2015 11:25 pm

Andaz Papagayo for sure.

A couple of the 4s becoming 5s are surely on the list as well. GH Macau, PH Seoul.

GH Kuala Lumpur is probably one of the best uses of a DSU as well.

japaik Jan 9, 2015 11:57 pm

park hyatt siem reap, park hyatt saigon, park hyatt seoul

hailstorm Jan 10, 2015 5:58 am

Maybe not a "luxury" property, but Hyatt Regency Maui is a really nice resort, and only recently dropped from Cat 5 to Cat 4.

Stewie Mac Jan 10, 2015 7:15 am

The Kilimanjaro in Dar is probably the nicest city hotel in East Africa.... if you happen to be passing.

Otherwise, I have a soft spot for PH Hamburg (stayed there a lot a couple of years ago, although not for a while) and a friend had a great time at GH Berlin in November, although I've never warmed to it.

Can't help on Asia or Americas.