Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: AS: 75K; DL/NW: Plat; DL SC: Lifetime; Hyatt: Diamond; HH: Gold; SPG: Plat;
Does anybody have any experience with the Swim-Up rooms? I booked this room (it was actually the cheapest room category available on a competing site that I used a BRG for).

Not sure what to expect - somebody posted that these rooms don't get sun till late in the afternoon. Are the pools in front of these rooms 'private' (for the swim up rooms only), or are the part of the public pools, where others may be be hanging out in front of your room?

Thanks,
Bostonbali
Old Feb 2, 2015, 7:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
I would like to know in which building the Junior Suites are located. Do they all have balconies? Have any of you stayed in one? I have a stay coming up in March.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 10:38 am

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by nethead25
- beach service leaves a lot to be desired. Aside from the constant heckling from vendors on a private beach, clearly abandoned towels are left all day on the beach, so that by the end of the day, there are no lounge chairs available while they are perhaps 5-10% occupied. With waiters canvassing the area, there should be a 1-2 hour lounge saving rule. Speaking of the waiters... drink service averaged 20-30 minutes or so... we eventually resorted to getting drinks at the bar.
There is no such thing as a private beach in Mexico. The law states there must be public access.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 3:19 pm

I didn't find the "heckling" to be constant... and actually this beach is private since it's a cove .. you need to enter the property via car (or walk) thru gated guarded entry. The driveway goes under the main street so there isn't any public access. When driving in they for name, room number, and look on a list. The vendors are "approved" by Ziva... probably have to pay $$ for their Ziva badge. There was on person with jewelry (find the same stuff for less in town). somebody with women's clothing etc and one other that had things sort of like rugs. But this was a month ago and perhaps they are allowing a few more thru. All I needed to say was "i don't have any $$ on me" or "thanks I'm not interested" and they would walk away... Maybe you were staying closer to where the entrance to beach (far area where you sign out boogie boards, kayaks). Think this is also where they enter the property.
Carolyn
Old Feb 3, 2015, 3:34 pm

I just used my DSU on my reservation.
However, the room description on the reservation change email and the room description on my reservation from Hyatt.com are different.

From the reservation change email:
Room(s) Booked: CLUB O V DDBL
Room Description: Spacious balcony with hot tub: Ocean view: 2 Double Beds: Luxury spa-like bathroom

From the reservation from Hyatt.com
Room Description:
Indulge in this peaceful room featuring two double-sized beds and a bathroom that feels...

It looks like in the email I was upgraded to Club Tower Ocean Double as others said, but still have regular Ocean View description on my reservation detail from Hyatt.com.

Is this usual? I'm asking since when I used DSU other times, I could actually see the upgraded room description even from Hyatt.com

Thanks!
Old Feb 4, 2015, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
I just got back from a 2 night stay at this property. Overall, we had a nice stay. A few details:

Service
Service was excellent overall. We had a room in the club tower and our concierge who checked us in was Beatriz. She was very friendly and it was a pleasure seeing her every day as we walked by her desk.

There was a sign for an ice machine on our floor but there was no actual ice machine in there. I made a call and they brought up a bucket of ice within a few minutes.

Everyone was friendly and helpful. Service was top notch.

Room
The room was nice. I have not stayed in the other tower so from reading here we got one of the rooms that are not yet renovated. It wasn't modern and new but it was really big with a nice sitting area in addition to the 2 double beds. The bathroom was a nice size with a full sized tub, large shower (with rainfall head + removable head), double sink, etc. The balcony was also big with 2 chairs and half of the balcony still empty. The ceiling was a dome so that was also a nice touch.

Our room had a nice tv and dvd player although we didn't use the dvd player.

Resort
The resort is very nice and upscale. The pools are small but nice infinity pools. One of the hot tubs is warm water while the other is cold. We didn't have an issue with getting chairs at the pools or the beaches so it was nice.

This is my first time staying at an all-inclusive resort so I didn't really know what to expect. It's nice just walking to any of the restaurants or buffet and just eating and drinking whatever. I believe there are a few things that might not be included though. When we had dinner in the mexican restaurant, we got a wine list with a bunch of prices for bottles of wine. The bottles weren't expensive (usually under 400 pesos) but I believe this is an extra charge. The spa was open although we didn't go there. I am guessing that spa treatments are also not free but I didn't ask.

I don't know what kind of activities are available for free. My guess is stuff that they have on-site but I didn't actually see anything on the beach (no surfboards, snorkels, kayaks, etc.) so I don't know. I'm guessing stuff like zip lining, scuba diving, etc. are not included as they are probably through a 3rd party (probably vallarta adventures).

The beach is pretty private since it is not accessible easily by the main road. It's also pretty big so I liked it.

I think there is a decent chance that I will be back. I usually stay at a nice property and like to experience some of the local scene such as restaurants and such and since this is all-inclusive it is hard to do that. We spent a couple of days at another hotel prior to this one so we did get to explore downtown and old town a bit and eat locally so it was nice too.

As far as I can tell, the property is pretty much done with renovations. It rained heavily for one of the days and there were leaks here and there but the staff was quick to address those areas with buckets, makeshift water diverters, etc.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:42 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Rock72: Thanks for the report.

How was the food? Any favorite on-site restaurant or dish(es)?

Originally Posted by Rock72
I just got back from a 2 night stay at this property. Overall, we had a nice stay. A few details:

Service
Service was excellent overall. We had a room in the club tower and our concierge who checked us in was Beatriz. She was very friendly and it was a pleasure seeing her every day as we walked by her desk.

There was a sign for an ice machine on our floor but there was no actual ice machine in there. I made a call and they brought up a bucket of ice within a few minutes.

Everyone was friendly and helpful. Service was top notch.

Room
The room was nice. I have not stayed in the other tower so from reading here we got one of the rooms that are not yet renovated. It wasn't modern and new but it was really big with a nice sitting area in addition to the 2 double beds. The bathroom was a nice size with a full sized tub, large shower (with rainfall head + removable head), double sink, etc. The balcony was also big with 2 chairs and half of the balcony still empty. The ceiling was a dome so that was also a nice touch.

Our room had a nice tv and dvd player although we didn't use the dvd player.

Resort
The resort is very nice and upscale. The pools are small but nice infinity pools. One of the hot tubs is warm water while the other is cold. We didn't have an issue with getting chairs at the pools or the beaches so it was nice.

This is my first time staying at an all-inclusive resort so I didn't really know what to expect. It's nice just walking to any of the restaurants or buffet and just eating and drinking whatever. I believe there are a few things that might not be included though. When we had dinner in the mexican restaurant, we got a wine list with a bunch of prices for bottles of wine. The bottles weren't expensive (usually under 400 pesos) but I believe this is an extra charge. The spa was open although we didn't go there. I am guessing that spa treatments are also not free but I didn't ask.

I don't know what kind of activities are available for free. My guess is stuff that they have on-site but I didn't actually see anything on the beach (no surfboards, snorkels, kayaks, etc.) so I don't know. I'm guessing stuff like zip lining, scuba diving, etc. are not included as they are probably through a 3rd party (probably vallarta adventures).

The beach is pretty private since it is not accessible easily by the main road. It's also pretty big so I liked it.

I think there is a decent chance that I will be back. I usually stay at a nice property and like to experience some of the local scene such as restaurants and such and since this is all-inclusive it is hard to do that. We spent a couple of days at another hotel prior to this one so we did get to explore downtown and old town a bit and eat locally so it was nice too.

As far as I can tell, the property is pretty much done with renovations. It rained heavily for one of the days and there were leaks here and there but the staff was quick to address those areas with buckets, makeshift water diverters, etc.
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:52 pm

No Ice Still???

AGGHHH... I can't believe it...
(ok, end of rant)
We were there the first week, and off course there weren't any ice machines anywhere on property. Top that off without a phone in the room to call for the ice (for medical needs) and it was very problematic. When we finally got someone to deliver ice they had 3 glass full... then I had to search for a plastic bag etc to put it in (make shift Ice pack -- there was an ice bucket in room without liner -- looked for laundry bag -- at that time & room there was none.. and finally resorted to using the garbage can liner...
Glad you enjoyed your stay
Old Feb 4, 2015, 3:59 pm

Oh, at the far end beach (newer tower) there is the area to sign out boogie boards, kayaks and possibly snorkle stuff -- for free. Ziplining etc is off property and one that we highly recommend (kids did the outdoor adventure and had a blast -- best ever-- as well as other guest we had met during our stay). through Vallerta Adventures... go to their site on line before you leave or at least 3 days prior to doing their excursion -- and get some kind of discounts (varies based on time and probably demand). We paid straight list and did the tour that had the hotel pickup -- 7:30AM departure -- worked out well since we didn't rent a car -- and son said it was a great value too.
Carolyn
Old Feb 5, 2015, 6:17 pm

when they brought ice, it was in an ice bucket but i don't remember plastic lining.

the food overall was pretty good.

Vivaz buffet - this is the best place for breakfast because it's quick and the food is decent. there is an omelet bar, waffles, pancakes, bagels, toast, bacon, potatoes, salad, various juices, etc.

Casa Grande Mexican - we had dinner here. the decor is nice and the food was good. i had a shrimp appetizer that i enjoyed and my main dish was the sea bass. I also had a torte for dessert which was good.

Italian - we had lunch here. i had the fried calamari for my appetizer which was good. i also had the risotto with langostine as my main dish. the langostine was just 2 pieces on top of standard risotto (wasn't mixed in). the risotto was good but too much butter so i only ate about half of it.

The food overall was good. In general, the service as the sit down restaurants were pretty slow so lunch took about 1.5 hours and dinner took almost 2 hours. In many ways, it's easier just to go to the buffet so you can be in and out of there quickly.

I didn't know that they had boogie boards and such and it didn't look like other people at the beach were playing with stuff like that so oh well.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:16 pm

Rock72,,
Guess you misunderstood what I was meaning by "an ice bucket" was in the room... but there wasn't a plastic liner -- usually when you stay at a hotel that has an icebucket for the guests to fill on their own at the machine there usually is a plastic like bag lining it... I was going to use that bag for a makeshift icepack.
Enjoyed your review.
Old Feb 5, 2015, 9:20 pm

boogie boards were available at an area on the far side of the resort -- going toward where the Asian restaurant and kids club are. If you were staying in the club tower you might not be tempted to walk that far down. Know what you mean about slow service... especially for lunchtime.. when there might be things you'd like to be doing other than waiting for your food.
Carolyn
Old Feb 6, 2015, 5:48 pm

Programs: Delta diamond, SPG platinum, Hyatt diamond
Glad to see things are getting better! Will try to get back soon.
Old Feb 6, 2015, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by cmjaffe
Rock72,,
Guess you misunderstood what I was meaning by "an ice bucket" was in the room... but there wasn't a plastic liner -- usually when you stay at a hotel that has an icebucket for the guests to fill on their own at the machine there usually is a plastic like bag lining it... I was going to use that bag for a makeshift icepack.
Enjoyed your review.
yeah, i am aware of the ice bucket + plastic lining that is usually in hotel rooms. i usually take that bucket down the hall and put ice in it from an ice machine.

in this case, the room down the hall that said "ICE" didn't actually have an ice machine in there. in addition, my room didn't have an ice bucket (or the plastic liner for the bucket).

so i called downstairs and they brought an ice bucket filled with ice to my room. however, i don't recall if the ice bucket had a plastic liner or not (i think not).

i was using the ice for drinks so i didn't necessarily need the plastic liner to make an ice pack or anything like that but for someone in the future who does need to make an ice pack, you may need to bring your own plastic bag, zip lock bag, or ask for a laundry bag, etc.

RVD.

Last edited by Rock72; Dec 29, 2015 at 10:42 pm
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:24 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA EXP, National EE
Still looking for info on the Junior Suites - also is sunscreen provided at the resort?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.