Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Apr 18, 17, 10:20 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

And the " club" is in the lobby of the un-remodeled South tower...so the rooms in that building are considered older, dated, and less desirable.
Old Apr 20, 17, 12:27 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Originally Posted by david55 View Post
And the " club" is in the lobby of the un-remodeled South tower...so the rooms in that building are considered older, dated, and less desirable.
Sent an email to [email protected] a few days ago. No reply still. Is this still the right email to reach out through?
Old Apr 24, 17, 2:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Elite
Hello *AmerKop45*, thank you for choosing us for your next vacation. The cost to up-grade to the Plunge pool Suite is $400.00 USD per night. Which you can pay here upon arrival, just let us know your decision in order to make the necessary changes onour system.
We look forward to hear from you.

Best regards

LOL!! No thanks.
Old Sep 28, 17, 9:54 am

Free nights for parents question

I am considering making a reservations for my parents using my Hyatt two free nights, adding one of them to the reservations as my "travel companion", but am concerned that I might actually have to physically be there at check in. Does the Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta verify the free night awardee, and /or scan passports upon check in?
Old Sep 28, 17, 10:13 am

Originally Posted by the5reeds View Post
I am considering making a reservations for my parents using my Hyatt two free nights, adding one of them to the reservations as my "travel companion", but am concerned that I might actually have to physically be there at check in. Does the Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta verify the free night awardee, and /or scan passports upon check in?
They do ask for passports....at least they did with me and the two other couples we were traveling with.

Not knowing your parents and their tastes. I would never send my parents here. The crowd is young, loud, and the place is geared more to 20-30 somethings and families with young kids.
Old Sep 28, 17, 10:29 am

most hotels will ask foreign travelers for their passports. usually the government asks for them. in some countries they will even ask to hold their guests passports while they stay there.
i went here when hyatt just took it over and it was very nice and tranquil but david55 might have a more recent experience. i went to hyatt ziva los cabos last year and it was a zoo. a bunch of college kids from texas spilling cheap margaritas in the pool. loud bad music.
Old Sep 28, 17, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by nsfw View Post
i went here when hyatt just took it over and it was very nice and tranquil but david55 might have a more recent experience. i went to hyatt ziva los cabos last year and it was a zoo. a bunch of college kids from texas spilling cheap margaritas in the pool. loud bad music.
We went2 years ago around early November. I wrote an extensive review. The property was not for us but what made our 6 day stay difficult was really really bad food.
Old Dec 28, 17, 11:59 am

Programs: AA (850k miles), SPG Platinum
It looks like this property has a promotion on its website where kids can stay free. The promo code is 95798 and can be seen here: https://puertovallarta.ziva.hyatt.co...60948024&code=

The terms say: Offer valid for bookings made December 20, 2017 through February 7, 2018 for stays from April 12, 2018 through December 20, 2018 at Hyatt Ziva Puerto Vallarta. Blackout dates: May 1 May 31 and July 22 August 16, 2018. A 3-night minimum stay is required. A limited number of rooms are allocated to this offer; reservations subject to availability. Offer not valid with groups, conventions, other promotional offers, tour packages or special rate programs. Additional charges may apply for additional guests or room type upgrades.

However, I've search for many dates and it looks like there are never any rooms available with this promotion.

Is there any way to search on Hyatt for flexible dates to see when they have any dates with this promo?
Old Dec 29, 17, 4:55 pm

Programs: UA GS MM, DL Plat, Mariott LT Plat/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
I am currently staying here and I'm not sure how people like it. Everything is pretty run down (lots of construction). I booked a Plunge Pool Suite. Checked in and was downgraded to a Hot Tub Room (not sure what it was called). Room with toilet had water flowing through the wall from the shower. Sink had brown water flowing out of it. They initially tried to charge me the same rate! He was so rude and told me that Hyatt overbooked, that Globalist means nothing (mind you this was a paid suite and not an upgrade), and that Hyatt's alliance program (I think he means WOH) was terrible and bad for the hotel. Manager apologized and comped last night.

The food is meh. Nothing special and most is tasteless. Blaze was decent for lunch but nothing special. The dead (brown needles, fire hazard) Christmas tree in front of the restaurant is a nice touch.

Beach is great. Lots of open chairs. Not crowded at all even with hotel at max capacity. Cool wildlife. Saw tons of stingrays and bat rays.

Elevators in the Club Tower are broken. First, one was out of service. Then the other broke. Maintenance man fell out with his cart after it stopped and did not align with the floor - tools and screws everywhere. We finally were being moved to the suite we booked at 5 PM and had to carry our luggage down the stairs from floor 20.

We were not told about the Club check in (or much of anything for that matter). There is a lot of construction noise in the Club Tower. Holes in the walls, garbage in the halls, lights hanging out of the walls, etc.

This is just not a good hotel in my opinion. I'm thrilled to be leaving. We stayed at the Zilara in Cancun and it was 100X better.
Old Dec 29, 17, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by EWRFlyerAL View Post
I am currently staying here and I'm not sure how people like it. Everything is pretty run down (lots of construction). I booked a Plunge Pool Suite. Checked in and was downgraded to a Hot Tub Room (not sure what it was called). Room with toilet had water flowing through the wall from the shower. Sink had brown water flowing out of it. They initially tried to charge me the same rate! He was so rude and told me that Hyatt overbooked, that Globalist means nothing (mind you this was a paid suite and not an upgrade), and that Hyatt's alliance program (I think he means WOH) was terrible and bad for the hotel. Manager apologized and comped last night.

The food is meh. Nothing special and most is tasteless. Blaze was decent for lunch but nothing special. The dead (brown needles, fire hazard) Christmas tree in front of the restaurant is a nice touch.

Beach is great. Lots of open chairs. Not crowded at all even with hotel at max capacity. Cool wildlife. Saw tons of stingrays and bat rays.

Elevators in the Club Tower are broken. First, one was out of service. Then the other broke. Maintenance man fell out with his cart after it stopped and did not align with the floor - tools and screws everywhere. We finally were being moved to the suite we booked at 5 PM and had to carry our luggage down the stairs from floor 20.

We were not told about the Club check in (or much of anything for that matter). There is a lot of construction noise in the Club Tower. Holes in the walls, garbage in the halls, lights hanging out of the walls, etc.

This is just not a good hotel in my opinion. I'm thrilled to be leaving. We stayed at the Zilara in Cancun and it was 100X better.

Glad to see nothing has changed in two years, The elevators are still broken and the food is some of the worst. This was our first AI experience, and despite a GREAT two story room with a huge pool on the roof....we would not return. We were with guests who left three days early. We left 2 days early on a one week stay. Not our thing.....but the food really ruined it.

Last edited by david55; Dec 30, 17 at 7:14 am
Old Dec 30, 17, 7:12 am

Programs: UA GS MM, DL Plat, Mariott LT Plat/Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, National Executive
Glad to see nothing has changed in two years, The elevators are still broken and the food is some of the worst. This was our first AI experience, and despite a GREAT two story room with a huge pool on the roof....we would not return. We had quests who left three days early. we left 2 days early. Not our thing,,,,,but the food really ruined it.
I was only there two nights and that was two nights too long. Horrible property. Caters to the crowd that thinks Bubba Gump is fine dining.
Old Dec 31, 17, 3:31 pm

Here is the full review I wrote for TripAdvisor:
Horrible hotelA change in travel plans had me looking for a getaway for a few days. I found a Plunge Pool Suite at the Hyatt Ziva in Puerto Vallarta available and quickly booked it for a few nights. Reviews seemed good and I had previously enjoyed two stays at the Hyatt Zilara in Cancun.

Prior to arriving at the hotel, I emailed the concierge to arrange transportation. She told me that she could not help and that I could book a taxi. This should have been a red flag but I thought I'd let it pass as maybe the hotel was busy and/or pre-arranged transport was booked.

Our flight was delayed and we arrived at the hotel a little after midnight. You go through a gate where they check your name both in and out of the resort. Why they do? I don't know. No one was ready when we got to the hotel. It seemed like we were interrupting the nap of "night manager," Ruben Garcia, and the other check in agent (who was not wearing a uniform but instead an Old Navy sweatshirt). Nothing makes you want to hand your credit card and passport over to a stranger than them wearing a hoodie.

Nothing seemed out of the ordinary about check in until I noticed a paper next to the agent with my name and "Club Ocean Front Hot Tub King." He was copying my passport and pre-authorizing my card for the same rate as the suite I had booked and was not planning on telling me about the downgrade. I caught on and he looked like a deer in headlights.

Ruben, the manager, then approached in an aggressive manner and told me to either take the room or get out of the hotel. I told him that I was a Globalist and wanted the room that I booked. He then went on to tell me that 1. Globalist status means nothing at the hotel 2. Hyatt is a problem and they overbook the hotel 3. Hyatt and its "alliance" (I think he meant World of Hyatt but it was lost in translation) are trouble and that he wished it was not part of what he had to deal with.

I was not asking for an upgrade. I was not asking for anything out of the ordinary. The hotel is undergoing major construction projects (more on that later) and some of the rooms/suites seem unavailable even though they are bookable.

I told Ruben that this was unacceptable. He shrugged and walked away (I guess he wanted to get back to his nap). We did not have any benefits explained, we did not get anything that I have seen described in other reviews. No welcome. And, basically they tried to pull a fast one and charge me a suite rate for a run-down room.

Club Ocean Front Hot Tub King

The room was dated and had several cosmetic defects (chipped paint, scuffed furniture, etc.). It has a hot tub (picture in this review) on the balcony but you have to fill it yourself and it looked so dirty that I would never get in it. Brown water flowed from the faucet on multiple occasions and every time we showered, water flowed through the wall into a separate room with a toilet.

Club Tower

This tower is being renovated. You will hear hammers, saws, and more all day long. You can't hear the ocean over the blaring noise of construction. I attached several photos of the way the hotel is maintained during this time. There is no mention on the site and it is a constant annoyance. The elevators are also dangerous. One was broken the entire time we were there and the second broke in front of us. We were moving to our suite (finally) and the elevator opened. It did not align with the floor (it was about a foot off the ground). A maintenance man was in the elevator with a service cart. He did not realize that the elevator was not on the floor and he fell out of it. His cart slammed to the ground and tools, screws, nails, and more spilled all over the floor. At that point, both elevators were broken so we had to carry our luggage down the stairs from the 20th floor.

Can we get what we booked?

The next morning I went to the front desk to try to talk to a real manager. I met Alejandro. After standing at the desk for 30 minutes while he was in a meeting, he finally appeared. He tried really hard to apologize but there was no recovery. The treatment at check in was so abusive that I would have left if other hotels had had availability. He told me that he would comp the first night's room and that if I waited until 5 pm that he could amazingly get me into the suite I booked. I agreed and checked out the rest of the facilities.

The Beach

The beach is great and felt pretty empty even though the hotel was booked to capacity. There are plenty of chairs and you can see some cool wildlife. The only downside is that the hotel allows random men to walk the beach selling blankets, bracelets, and primarily drugs. We were asked repeatedly all day long if we wanted to buy ecstasy or cocaine. This happened on a rotating basis about once every fifteen minutes. There are lots of families on the beach and it should not be a place to openly buy drugs.

The Spa

We did not get to use the spa because there were no appointments available during our stay.

VivaZ Buffet

The buffet is tired with poor quality food. It is always crowded and the staff seems overwhelmed. It takes a long time to get anything made to order (crepes, waffles, etc.) and when you do get them, everything is of the cheapest quality imaginable. It's as if the food service company for a prison caters here.

Blaze

Blaze is an a la carte Mexican and seafood restaurant on the beach. It's meh. If you have been to Chili's than you have had a better meal than what you will find here. As you enter the restaurant, you're greeted by a dead Christmas tree. This is both a fire hazard and an eye sore. Way to make the season bright.

PureZa

This restaurant says that it's Asian but that is an insult to every Asian restaurant in the world. The Pad Thai is noodles doused in catsup with some peanuts thrown on top, the fried rice has zero flavor and looks like some soy sauce was just stirred into a bowl of rice, and the Korean Short Ribs are all fat and bone with a little sauce slopped on top. If you're not nauseous yet, try the Filipino Flan. It's almost rancid. I took a bite and spit it out.

Food Carts

The hotel touts its food carts. We did not see any. What we saw was a guy making guacamole on the counter next to the beach towels. It looked completely unsanitary but the ravenous guests quickly gobbled it down. The empty bowl and half bag of Tostitos (so authentic, Ziva) sat on the counter for hours after to attract bugs.

Wine/Liquor

Unlike at other all-inclusive resorts, the Ziva uses the worst quality swill. You'll find great wine choice like red, white, or sparkling. No one on staff knows what they are and there is no variety. You'll see some call liquor bottles but it does not seem they're pouring it.

Plunge Pool Suite

At 4:30 pm, we received a call that the suite was ready. It's a gorgeous space with plenty of room and a nice pool and deck. If you want to make this "resort" at all palatable, I suggest booking this room and not leaving it...at all...ever.

Overall

The Ziva might be nice once they renovate the hotel, fire the current management, fix the food, and kick the drug dealers off the beach but I don't see any of that happening.

I wish that we had never went to this "resort" as it was a disappointment from the moment we arrived to the moment we joyfully got in the taxi to depart.
Old Dec 31, 17, 5:41 pm

Oi.... While our stay was not as bad as yours....the quality of the food, as you so aptly describe, was wretched and pretty much ruined our stay. ( Having to leave the resort every time you want something edible to eat was a little tiresome.

I agree completely with this statement: At 4:30 pm, we received a call that the suite was ready. It's a gorgeous space with plenty of room and a nice pool and deck. If you want to make this "resort" at all palatable, I suggest booking this room and not leaving it...at all...ever. We too had a plunge pool suite...and found that to be a refuge in a otherwise "not our scene" resort.
Old Mar 27, 18, 9:54 am

I am going to PVR and staying at Ziva starting tomorrow .. all these reviews have me scared now

Wish I had seen these reviews before .. tripadvisor loves this resort.
Old Mar 27, 18, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by iridium View Post
I am going to PVR and staying at Ziva starting tomorrow .. all these reviews have me scared now

Wish I had seen these reviews before .. tripadvisor loves this resort.
There is a great website called Fakespot. You can put in the page for the hotel on tripadvisor and it analyzes the reviews and can tell you the credibility. The web page for the Hyatt Ziva PV was rated " D" last time I checked. Means the reviews are mostly fake. The other problem is that when the hotel became a Hyatt it absorbed all the reviews from when it was Dreams....further diluting the authenticity.

It will be a ZOO this week...mostly families.

Sorry.

Search this Thread