Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Ziva Puerto Vallarta REVIEW MASTER THREAD

Old Jun 16, 15, 11:49 am

Programs: DL Diamond, WN A-List, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by jraulbach View Post
Was just there. 2 ppl, 2 suitcases. Bought voucher from Authorized Taxi stand inside airport for $28 US for transport to hotel. $200 Pesos for return trip from hotel to airport.

P.S. Always, if you can, pay taxis in pesos. Their standard conversion rate is 10 : 1 (peso : dollar) -- RIPOFF
Thanks! We're heading there soon and this is helpful!
Old Jun 18, 15, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
What is the guest policy for this resort? Can visitors just come up to the room or is there some sort of sign in procedure?
Old Jun 24, 15, 1:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Wyndham Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Just applied a DSU to a Sept 1-6 booking. That bumped us from a basic room to a "Hyatt Ziva Club Ocean View Two Double Beds", described by diamond line as a 704 sq ft suite.

If I'm following this thread correctly, this will be in the Club/non-remodeled tower, correct?

I wonder if these rooms are split-level like the plunge-pool rooms...
Old Jun 24, 15, 3:11 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Only what my AmEx Plat offers me
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
Just applied a DSU to a Sept 1-6 booking. That bumped us from a basic room to a "Hyatt Ziva Club Ocean View Two Double Beds", described by diamond line as a 704 sq ft suite.

If I'm following this thread correctly, this will be in the Club/non-remodeled tower, correct?

I wonder if these rooms are split-level like the plunge-pool rooms...
Yes the non-remodeled tower. And no...only the plunge pool suites ( found on the top two floors) are two story. But...you are you are guaranteed a balcony being in that building as every room has one.
Old Jun 24, 15, 3:25 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
I'm here right now (having a drink on the beach while the wife naps). I booked a 6 night points stay and was given a base non-balcony room in the remodeled tower. Asked about an upgrade to the club tower and it was $79/night ($99/night but a 20% discount due to being a platinum) which we moved to after the first night.

The club tower is definetly not as nice as the non-club. The rooms are bigger and all have balconies with outdoor tubs, but the rooms are showing their age. The nice thing is the bed faces out toward the ocean, which makes for a nice way to wake up. The snacks and liquor offerings in the lounge are nice but are unnecessary at an all-inclusive. I'm making up the additional $80/night drinking the high end tequila.

If you have any questions, let me know.
Old Jun 24, 15, 3:40 pm

Originally Posted by skunker View Post
The club tower is definetly not as nice as the non-club. The rooms are bigger and all have balconies with outdoor tubs, but the rooms are showing their age.
Are you sure that all the rooms have tubs on the balcony? I thought only the top 4 or 5 floors have them. When it use to be Camino Real ages ago and we would go...it was always an "upgrade" to the upper floors with the tubs. The lower floors did not have them.

Last edited by david55; Jun 24, 15 at 5:10 pm
Old Jun 24, 15, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by david4455 View Post
Are you sure they all the rooms have tubs on the balcony? I thought only the top 4 or 5 floors have them. When it use to be Camino Real ages ago and we would go...it was always an "upgrade" to the upper floors with the tubs. The lower floors did not have them.
Maybe that was the tequila talking. Let me ask....

Ok, floors 11-15 (ground is 11) are adjoining suites. 16-20 have tubs on the balcony and the penthouse is the plunge pool suites.

Last edited by skunker; Jun 24, 15 at 5:24 pm
Old Jun 24, 15, 5:36 pm

Additional thoughts:

The bathrooms in the non-club tower are nicer. Smaller but nicer. No tub but a nicer design. In our room the shower is separated from the toilet by glass. In the non-club room the toilet and shower are separated by the vanity.

The minibars of each room are stocked with the same items: Coke, Sprite, still water, carbonated water, XX beer and Tecate light. Snacks are similar with chips and nuts.

The spa runs specials throughout the week. The daily flyer lists the special.

Food has been good and liquor has been better than expected. The nod goes toward Mexican food (obviously) and seafood at all venues.

The spa menu posted above has been repriced in USD. Since the hold on a credit card is in MXN it will be interesting to see how they covert during checkout.

More thoughts:
As mentioned below, the pools currently close before sunset. The adult pool passes out "champagne" for the sunset around 7, which is about 1.5 hours early.

You cannot order food for take away or at the beach and pool. No reason was given other than "no, sorry."

Last edited by skunker; Jun 24, 15 at 9:50 pm
Old Jun 24, 15, 5:50 pm

Skunker:

We are coming in November which will be our first time back to this property since it was the Camino Real. It will also be our first AI experience.

What is the noise like at the resort. Constant music at the pools? God forbid the beach? Late night fiestas?

Or is it somewhat tame and subdued?
Old Jun 24, 15, 9:46 pm

Originally Posted by david4455 View Post
Skunker:

We are coming in November which will be our first time back to this property since it was the Camino Real. It will also be our first AI experience.

What is the noise like at the resort. Constant music at the pools? God forbid the beach? Late night fiestas?

Or is it somewhat tame and subdued?
It varies. The first two days we laid on the beach near the non-club tower, which has the Playa Bar nearby. The bar played Mexican techno music fairly loud. Loud enough to be annoying.

Between the two towers are the main pools. During the day the hotel puts on various activities, many of which involve loud music (water aerobics, dance lessons, etc.) that due to the closeness of the beach can be quite loud at both the beach and pool.

In front of the club tower is the adult pool and the private beach cabanas. This area is much quieter, but with fewer lounges on the beach. The area in front of the non-club tower has the most palapas and the fewest people but was the loudest.

There is a secluded and shaded pool at the base of the non-club tower that was quiet, but it is where wedding receptions take place and the area is closed on those days. We didn't know it was there for the first two days.

At night the hotel puts on various shows or activities, some of which are on the beach in front of the main pool. The loudest is the fire show which includes techno music and fire dancers along with some fireworks. It starts at sunset and lasts about 30 minutes. After that it is pretty dead. Last night was a Disney movie on an inflatable screen. The only significant night noise came from the weddings, but that didn't last much past 10pm.

FYI: sunset is about 8:45pm right now and the pools close at 8:00pm.
Old Jun 24, 15, 10:11 pm

It varies. The first two days we laid on the beach near the non-club tower, which has the Playa Bar nearby. The bar played Mexican techno music fairly loud. Loud enough to be annoying.

Between the two towers are the main pools. During the day the hotel puts on various activities, many of which involve loud music (water aerobics, dance lessons, etc.) that due to the closeness of the beach can be quite loud at both the beach and pool.

In front of the club tower is the adult pool and the private beach cabanas. This area is much quieter, but with fewer lounges on the beach. The area in front of the non-club tower has the most palapas and the fewest people but was the loudest.

There is a secluded and shaded pool at the base of the non-club tower that was quiet, but it is where wedding receptions take place and the area is closed on those days. We didn't know it was there for the first two days.

At night the hotel puts on various shows or activities, some of which are on the beach in front of the main pool. The loudest is the fire show which includes techno music and fire dancers along with some fireworks. It starts at sunset and lasts about 30 minutes. After that it is pretty dead. Last night was a Disney movie on an inflatable screen. The only significant night noise came from the weddings, but that didn't last much past 10pm.

FYI: sunset is about 8:45pm right now and the pools close at 8:00pm.
Thank you very much for your response. It will help a lot to plan our time there.
Old Jun 25, 15, 11:29 pm

I'm here right now (having a drink on the beach while the wife naps). I booked a 6 night points stay and was given a base non-balcony room in the remodeled tower. Asked about an upgrade to the club tower and it was $79/night ($99/night but a 20% discount due to being a platinum) which we moved to after the first night.

The club tower is definetly not as nice as the non-club. The rooms are bigger and all have balconies with outdoor tubs, but the rooms are showing their age. The nice thing is the bed faces out toward the ocean, which makes for a nice way to wake up. The snacks and liquor offerings in the lounge are nice but are unnecessary at an all-inclusive. I'm making up the additional $80/night drinking the high end tequila.

If you have any questions, let me know.
upgrade not worth it? Transportation cost to/from airport?
Old Jun 25, 15, 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by fyugioh View Post
Don't pay for upgrade? Transportation cost to/from airport?
We just left this past Tuesday after a 3 night stay. Taxi from the airport is 286 pesos (~$18.50 US), flat rate set by the government. Taxi from Hyatt Ziva back in 200 pesos (~$12.90 US), again a flat rate set by the government. Takes 25-30 mins depending on traffic.
Old Jun 25, 15, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by jmgriffin View Post
We just left this past Tuesday after a 3 night stay. Taxi from the airport is 286 pesos (~$18.50 US), flat rate set by the government. Taxi from Hyatt Ziva back in 200 pesos (~$12.90 US), again a flat rate set by the government. Takes 25-30 mins depending on traffic.
I assume they don't take credit card and USD is accepted everywhere?
Thanks!
Old Jun 25, 15, 11:51 pm

Originally Posted by msfrugalista View Post
I assume they don't take credit card and USD is accepted everywhere?
Thanks!
Correct, the taxi stand at the airport (where you must prepay for the ride) didn't appear to take credit cards but they will accept USD. Others in the thread have reported that paying in USD will give you an exchange rate of 10 mxn to $1 USD, instead of 15 mxn to $1 USD. I suggest changing money in the airport or using an ATM before getting to the taxi stand so that your cab ride will cost just $18 US and not $28.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: