Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Complimentary Wi-Fi Launching for All Guests in February

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Complimentary Wi-Fi Launching for All Guests in February

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2014, 4:44 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
4 samples from hundreds of hotels worldwide does not a sample make.
Old Dec 26, 2014, 7:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by Freckles68
Wow. Really? I will say, for the THIRD time, SOME PROPERTIES DO NOT HAVE "PREMIUM" INTERNET. Is it that hard to comprehend that my question pertained to the properties that only have one internet tier? I understand the desire to want to oversimplify things with blanket generalizations, as conclusions are always easier to jump to and a case is more easily closed when you don't take details into account. But please, at least try to parse the nuances... it's not hard when they've been spelled out several times.
The 15% point bonus and the guaranteed 2 PM check-out, which was more important than free internet to some Plats, are enough of a difference for a requirement of 5 stays a year.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Dec 26, 2014 at 7:53 pm
Old Dec 27, 2014, 10:22 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by austin_modern
not to be rude, but a platinum member is a very casual traveler. (even more so when you can get it with a CC)
This comment really annoys me since I don't currently travel enough to earn diamond because it is all leisure but still I do stay 10-18 STAYS per year, every year. I do not have the credit card so I earn platinum from my stays and the benefits are positively abysmal. I was just feeling angry about it this past week with the lack of upgrades or anything. In fact, when Hyatt says thank you for being a platinum it makes my blood boil. Many years ago I remember Hilton Gold was so easy to earn and the benefits were far superior than what Hyatt platinum status gets. There was a time many years ago when I stayed at Hyatt 300 nights per year but now those same hotels ask me if it is my first time at the property.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:00 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by westcoastman
This comment really annoys me since I don't currently travel enough to earn diamond because it is all leisure but still I do stay 10-18 STAYS per year, every year. I do not have the credit card so I earn platinum from my stays and the benefits are positively abysmal. I was just feeling angry about it this past week with the lack of upgrades or anything. In fact, when Hyatt says thank you for being a platinum it makes my blood boil. Many years ago I remember Hilton Gold was so easy to earn and the benefits were far superior than what Hyatt platinum status gets. There was a time many years ago when I stayed at Hyatt 300 nights per year but now those same hotels ask me if it is my first time at the property.
Comparing Hilton Gold with Hyatt Plat makes no sense. Hilton Gold requires 20 stays/40 nights, while Hyatt Plat is 5/15; Hyatt Plat requirement is more similar to Hilton Silver (4/10).

I've always thought that Hyatt should have a tier between Plat and Dia to encourage leisure travellers to stay more.

As a Plat for many years, I never bothered with worrying about the benefits. We just stayed where we wanted. Although in general we like Hyatt more than other chains, in some cities we'd choose Hilton or Ritz Carlton even when there was a Hyatt nearby. And that is what I would recommend for most leisure travellers. It sure relieves the pressure of having to requalify. And even more important, choosing your hotel because it is the place you want to stay rather than the place where you get some perk can make travel much more enjoyable.

As others have said, free internet for all guests is the right way to go in this day and age; actually it is very late in coming. Charging for internet is like charging for television.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:20 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I do appreciate this change, broadly speaking. I know the concerns about properties with only a single tier of wifi (and hopefully Hyatt will start prodding them to improve their wifi), but this does stand as an improvement. I'll agree that this doesn't fully make up for the loss of MER, but it's not nothing and I appreciate it all the same.
Old Dec 27, 2014, 11:23 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I'll agree that this doesn't fully make up for the loss of MER, but it's not nothing and I appreciate it all the same.
It doesn't... Those that qualified for MER already had free internet. This is a benefit for non-status guests or those that have no GP membership.
Old Dec 28, 2014, 9:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Comparing Hilton Gold with Hyatt Plat makes no sense. Hilton Gold requires 20 stays/40 nights, while Hyatt Plat is 5/15; Hyatt Plat requirement is more similar to Hilton Silver (4/10).

I've always thought that Hyatt should have a tier between Plat and Dia to encourage leisure travellers to stay more.

As a Plat for many years, I never bothered with worrying about the benefits. We just stayed where we wanted. Although in general we like Hyatt more than other chains, in some cities we'd choose Hilton or Ritz Carlton even when there was a Hyatt nearby. And that is what I would recommend for most leisure travellers. It sure relieves the pressure of having to requalify. And even more important, choosing your hotel because it is the place you want to stay rather than the place where you get some perk can make travel much more enjoyable.

As others have said, free internet for all guests is the right way to go in this day and age; actually it is very late in coming. Charging for internet is like charging for television.
In practice, Hilton Gold has -- for years and still -- been had for 0-4 stays (even single night stays, if any stays were even required). I have so many family and friends with current Hilton Gold status despite them having no prior history of using the Hilton HHonors program.

I agree with your final paragraph.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond+, Alaska Airlines MVP, Priority Club Platinum
Originally Posted by GUWonder
In practice, Hilton Gold has -- for years and still -- been had for 0-4 stays (even single night stays, if any stays were even required). I have so many family and friends with current Hilton Gold status despite them having no prior history of using the Hilton HHonors program.

I agree with your final paragraph.
Back in the day I would get Hilton lounge access all over the world with gold status and free alcohol too but I realize things have changed at Hilton thanks to their credit card as well. It comes down to I have gone out of my way over the years to give so much committment to Hyatt and Hyatt has been so loyal to their elite guests but now that is slowly fading. In itself giving away wifi to everyone is not a huge deal and doesn't hurt me in any way but I find it harder and harder to blindly stick with Hyatt like I have in the past when better options exist. Today I made my first reservation with Sheraton for the first time in many years. For a few dollars more I will get club access too.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 5:03 pm

Programs: Lots of faux metal
Originally Posted by m0hamed
Actually it is a sample, but maybe not a representative sample.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Originally Posted by skunker
Actually it is a sample, but maybe not a representative sample.
True, skunker, thank you. And while it apparently meant nothing to mOhamed, the sample with N of 4 is relevant to me as the traveler trying to get work done while staying at a hotel

N of 4 represents 40% of the different Hyatt hotels I stayed at in 5 states and 4 countries during 2014.

The impact the slow wifi had on my >30 stays and >50 nights was significant enough to annoy me greatly - hence my previous post.

Again, YMMV. If you consistently get blazingly fast wifi during every single one of your stays, then you're a fortunate one ... and I'd like to know your secret.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:47 am

Programs: "But, I'm a GLOBALIST guest...."
Originally Posted by westcoastman
You're assuming a couple things:

1) That hyatt cares how you pay for your stays. Revenue is revenue no matter if its on your amex or your companies.

2) You're assuming that I (and others) don't make diamond with our leisure stays.

Finally, if you don't like it - switch providers... oh wait, all low/mid tier are roughly the same across all hotels, so you're really just upset at hyatt for what services you would more or less get at any hotel provider. To me, that doesn't make much sense.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 5:27 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by AKCuisine

Again, YMMV. If you consistently get blazingly fast wifi during every single one of your stays, then you're a fortunate one ... and I'd like to know your secret.
Stay at a Park Hyatt or any Hyatt in Australasia.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:28 pm

Programs: AS; Hyatt; Bonvoy
Stay at a Park Hyatt or any Hyatt in Australasia.
I have, and they do seem to be the exception.

During the past 14 months I've had the pleasure of staying at the PH Dubai, PH Sydney, and PH Melbourne, along with 3 other Hyatts in Australia & Asia. Excellent service and decent wireless speeds at all of those properties.

If only US properties stepped up their game ...
Old Dec 30, 2014, 7:30 pm
Four Seasons 5+ BadgeHyatt 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by AKCuisine
I have, and they do seem to be the exception.

During the past 14 months I've had the pleasure of staying at the PH Dubai, PH Sydney, and PH Melbourne, along with 3 other Hyatts in Australia & Asia. Excellent service and decent wireless speeds at all of those properties.

If only US properties stepped up their game ...
Any hotel in this region without fast internet would suffer as both corporate and leisure travellers demand it.

In Sydney alone, internet can cost up to $50/day so they can't get away with low bandwidth.
Old Jan 15, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Just got the email announcing this and want to compliment Hyatt for taking this step, which is long overdue in the premium chain hotel industry. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.