Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Zilara / Ziva Rose Hall (Jamaica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Zilara / Ziva Rose Hall (Jamaica) REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: DL GM US silver AA GM Jet Blue True Blue
It’s disappointing to hear about the decline and in standards at the Rose Hall property! My wife a I are scheduled for our fourth visit to the Zilara later this week, and are looking for any advice on how to make the best of it.

In the past, it was possible to get top shelf liquor at the lobby bars of both hotels. Is that no longer the case? Any advice on where the best liquor can be found? What can I expect on that fronts? Single malt? Aged rum? Cognac?

in terms of dining, The decline of the jerk shack is most disappointing because it was our go to lunch spot. What do people think is the best lunch option? Is there any opportunity to get fresh seafood or non-frozen options?

for dinner, how is the quality of the French and Italian options? Are there any spots that have survived better than others?

in short, I’d be grateful for any advice on how we can make the best of our trip and enjoy a few kid free days.

We will report back on our experience.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: TK E/*G, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Platinum
Thanks in advance for reporting back NE flier. I've also read recently that the shuttle from and to the airport is no longer complimentary? If so, could you confirm what the price is now per person. Thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2018, 6:42 pm

Programs: AS 75K, Delta Plat, AA 1MM, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by NE flier
It’s disappointing to hear about the decline and in standards at the Rose Hall property! My wife a I are scheduled for our fourth visit to the Zilara later this week, and are looking for any advice on how to make the best of it.

In the past, it was possible to get top shelf liquor at the lobby bars of both hotels. Is that no longer the case? Any advice on where the best liquor can be found? What can I expect on that fronts? Single malt? Aged rum? Cognac?

in terms of dining, The decline of the jerk shack is most disappointing because it was our go to lunch spot. What do people think is the best lunch option? Is there any opportunity to get fresh seafood or non-frozen options?

for dinner, how is the quality of the French and Italian options? Are there any spots that have survived better than others?

in short, I’d be grateful for any advice on how we can make the best of our trip and enjoy a few kid free days.

was there in December. Free shuttle was still there. The French and Italian are the best bets. I'm Globalist and never heard of any lounge. For booze you're best bet is the lobby bar in the Ziva for most top shelf. Not great. Jack daniels. Bombay. Etc. but that even randomly rotated some days. The "sports bar" at the Zilara wasn't bad. At least good bartenders. Booze by pool was disappointing. Best of luck
Old Jan 23, 2018, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by Lancer99

was there in December. Free shuttle was still there. The French and Italian are the best bets. I'm Globalist and never heard of any lounge. For booze you're best bet is the lobby bar in the Ziva for most top shelf. Not great. Jack daniels. Bombay. Etc. but that even randomly rotated some days. The "sports bar" at the Zilara wasn't bad. At least good bartenders. Booze by pool was disappointing. Best of luck

I was also there in December. I had two rooms. One room booked in October and the other end of November. I guess there was a specific date in Nov in which all reservations booked thereafter would require a fee for transport. I don't recall the exact date though.

Last edited by mstrbldr; Jan 24, 2018 at 9:27 pm Reason: clarifying
Old Jan 25, 2018, 11:58 am

Programs: AA (PLATINUM), HHonors (DIAMOND)
Originally Posted by NE flier

The standard Vodka now is Stoli or Sky. On occasion you can find Tito's in the the lobby bar in the former Ritz Carlton bar. All the other booze is bottom shelf. They used to serve Grey Goose nearly everywhere.

Non of the fish or seafood is fresh, its all comes frozen.

French is adult only. Italian used to be great (rack of lamb, osuboco, veal, etc) now its very basic and the pizza dough comes frozen.

For someone like yourself who will now be going for the 4th time, I would set your expectations accordingly. This resort is sadly no longer the same.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 12:01 pm

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Sinter
Thanks in advance for reporting back NE flier. I've also read recently that the shuttle from and to the airport is no longer complimentary? If so, could you confirm what the price is now per person. Thanks.
My understanding is that the shuttle is no longer complimentary for all reservations booked after November 1st, 2017. For NEW reservations booked after November 1st, there is a fee now.
Sinter likes this.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyer121
My understanding is that the shuttle is no longer complimentary for all reservations booked after November 1st, 2017. For NEW reservations booked after November 1st, there is a fee now.
Thanks for the clarification, booked late October. Wonder if I can find this anywhere in writing, to avoid any issues when I land. A bit sad to hear there seems to be a fair amount of nickel and diming going on at the property. Guess I'll go into this with expectations adjusted down a bit.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Sinter
Thanks for the clarification, booked late October. Wonder if I can find this anywhere in writing, to avoid any issues when I land. A bit sad to hear there seems to be a fair amount of nickel and diming going on at the property. Guess I'll go into this with expectations adjusted down a bit.
"fair amount" is an understatement
Old Jan 28, 2018, 1:53 pm

This is disappointing to hear about the MB property. My wife and I spent many times there early on and despite some minor issues, the property was always fantastic. Now that we have a kid, we were looking to taking a family vacation there, but I don't think so after reading the latest reviews. The jerk chicken shack was a fav of ours...sad to hear of the decline in food offerings.
Old Feb 21, 2018, 8:47 am

Programs: WoH Globalist, AA Plat, Amtrak S+, Hilton, Starbucks Gold
I just returned from 5 nights at Zilara Rose Hall, and was pleasantly surprised based on the feedback here. I thought the property was in great shape, staff was pleasant/helpful, and restaurant choices were of good quality. We stayed on the Zilara side (the adults only concept) and I don't believe we saw anyone under the age of 18 at all (we did venture to the family side for a few meals and of course saw tons of kids). The rooms look like they were recently redone and had no complaints whatsoever. The bathrooms are done in a modern all-tile motif and were large/roomy. My only complaint was hot water: a few afternoons lukewarm was the best the shower got....otherwise, we had to run the shower and tub on full hot for a while before the water got shower-temp. The grounds are kept up and has a great tropical feel to the place. The spa is kinda weird: they have two changing rooms to visit before a massage treatment; then you walk through a common area where a jacuzzi & plunge pool and sauna/steam room are also located -- these are coed, which, by US standards means you need your bathing suit on to enjoy. The relaxing room was off the beach and random folks from the beach would wander in to sit in the jacuzzi or use the rest room, not very relaxing if you ask me. The treatments were great though....the setup was just kind of unconventional. The pool area is large and enough room -- if you get down there and secure a lounge chair by 9:00am....every resort I've been to in the Caribbean has this phenomenon, so it was expected. The beach is sort of rocky and rough...I think this is a manmade beach area, but hey: waves, blue ocean, and sunshine....did the trick for me.

Now, I did notice that the Hyatt Board of Directors or Executive Leadership (or maybe both) were checking in to the property the day before we left: there was lots of painting touchups, new mulch, and general cleaning/tidying going on. I'm not sure how much attention the property gets the rest of the year, but they were definitely paying attention to the details while we were there.
Sinter likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 4:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

https://www.caribjournal.com/2018/02...ties-jamaica/#

I wonder if Playa will reflag some of those properties to Ziva/Zilara?
Old Mar 5, 2018, 1:29 pm

A quick update, just returned from my week at Zilara and has a similar reaction as IDontWearSocks. I was in building 4 and thankfully never had an issue with hot water and/or water pressure during my stay. I usually got down to the Zilara pool between 830-9am and never had a problem grabbing 2 lounge chairs next to each other under an umbrella. Also had no issues with towels at the pool and while they did run low a few points after noon, they were never completely out of fresh towels. Did not try the Zilara beach, but the Ziva beach was nice enough (and not overrun with children) the couple times we wanted to go into the ocean.

Staff was largely fantastic, with a handful being just average.No complaints there.

As far as food is concerned, it was overall good to very good, however, a few poor experiences stood out. The jerk chicken at the shack was nothing special at best (a couple friends we made there seemed to like it fwiw), and the Asian Fusion restaurant was definitely my least favorite (also probably the worst of the service, though we were able to flag down someone more helpful than our original waitress). Choicez buffett provided a terrible bloody mary (definitely a mix as someone else pointed out, but breakfast overall was above average), but I was able to find a waiter at Flavorz in the Zilara lobby for my bloody mary needs the rest of my stay (truly night and day type scenario). I didn't try the Brazilian Steakhouse after hearing a couple people say they were dissatisfied as well.

That said, the French and Italian restaurants were very good, so was Horizons and Flavorz as well as the nachos and burger station between the pool and Horizonz. Choicez and Calypso were solid for lunch, but didn't try either for dinner. Room service was also very solid and I was even able to order a late night snack a little bit before midnight once, which was delivered within an hour.

My only other nitpicky complaint was that the bed was a little too hard for my liking and the pillows a bit too flimsy. There were plenty though and I used two.

Overall a fantastic stay, I would definitely go back.

Last edited by Sinter; Mar 5, 2018 at 1:38 pm
Old Mar 7, 2018, 4:06 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Booked an oceanfront Butler suite as an explorist for 6 nights and got upgraded to the huge presidential suite on request. 2500 sft, 5 balcony’s. This was in July 2017.
here is video of the suite.
svo242 likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2018, 6:42 am

For those interested in how the transportation to the resort from the airport works, below is the email I received ...

We are delighted to be chosen as the preferred vacation destination and look forward in creating a wonderful experience with us at the resort.

The resort only offer transfers from MBJ Airport only. The cost to utilize our shared (economical) roundtrip transportation will be US$30 per adults and US$15.00 per child ages three to twelve (3yrs-12yrs).

Your flight departure details provided at check in will be used to organize your departure transportation to the airport, with the recommended time to leave the resort being Three (3) hours in advance of your flight time. Subsequent to clearing customs, please proceed to the left of the arrival hall to visit our Hyatt Lounge, our attentive Airport agents will assist you in boarding the first available shuttle (depending on your travel needs, economical, Luxury or non-luxury) to the resort. Final confirmations are made at the Hyatt Lounge and you will be presented with your return voucher. Payment is made directly with the Hotel Front desk via cash or credit card at check-in.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:58 am

Just got back from a quick visit. I have stayed previously and was caught off guard by the need to pay for the hotel transfer. My Explorist status was never brought up although during my last visit mid-tier was enough to get bumped to a first floor room with a swim-up patio. If I go back, I'll be sure to ask about free premium internet as well as a room upgrade. I paid for the VIP Club Mobay arrival treatment at MBJ and thought it was probably worth the $50/person to skip the immigration line. Left on a Sunday and wasn't able to get into the Club Mobay departures lounge with Priority Pass.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.