Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old May 8, 2015, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: FlyMan
Opinion will vary but this was compiled by what was highlighted by most members:

All allow 2 adult with 2 kids
Print Wikipost

which Hyatt in Tokyo?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Plat Pro, Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic 3, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
Looking for some feedback from the community.

1) I will be there Jan 9-13 (4 nights)

2) Will book two rooms on points and have Globalist status.

3) Will likely upgrade one room into a suite using a DSU.

4) Arrival is 3pm @ NRT; departure is 5pm @ NRT. Will likely book the airport limo bus service.

My top priorities are:

1) Room comfort / don’t want dated rooms. Highly prefer a hotel that offers connecting room to their suites (I realize this is a ymmv).

2) Connivence to public transportation. We will be traveling with an elderly parent who cannot walk distances. But would like to show him the train once and so on. And will arrange some type of a guided tour in a car that’s convenient (any suggestions?)

Points are not an issue. Would greatly appreciate your thoughts as to which Hyatt may work best for us for usual touristy stuff (night life is not a factor for us.)

thanks all.
Confirming what others say, but GH is your best bet. The standard suite that a TSU gets you into is also pretty spectacular and modern. Club lounge breakfast and evening food/drinks is a nice benefit with an elderly parent.

Lots of cabs right there, easy to get in/out with a big circular driveway.

Has access to Roppongi station right there.

Lots to do in immediate area.

For tours, I highly recommend JapanWonderTravel.com. I have done their private tours when I was with my older parents and have done the group tours. All have been great. They have private sedan tours and I noticed they even have a 100% wheelchair accessible tour too.
Old Sep 16, 2019, 8:14 pm

I never see a room/suite in hotel Gajoen is available for points. Did you find any availability or just plan to? pay cash?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 10:32 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, MLife Gold, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, Caesars Diamond, Amex Plat
If concerned about easy transfer from airport to hotel: Last summer, we used tokyoairporter.com for transfer from HND to HR Shinjuku and it was about $90 for a limo style mini van. We were 5 people. Could’ve fit at least one more in there. Very efficient and easy protocol.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
1) GHT (no suites available but regency club will be a plus with family, so it's still in play.)

2) Hotel Gajeon (books into Japanese Modern which is quite large and kind of like a semi-suite, and breakfast is complimentary ... which covers the important criterias but sadly no airport limo to this hotel leaves taxi/Uber as the other viable alternative (unless there's another shuttle service to/from NRT that I'm unaware of...train will be too complex with Dad.)

3) PHT (two double beds vs twins is nice, fair Globalist treatment from what I've read and in-room breakfast option is a plus), and suites are available for confirmed upgrade.

... what would you guys do (I know, a loaded question!) ... Hotel Gajeon looks quite wonderful, the primary downside is no airport limo bus. Other than that, GHT doesn't seem to have ANY suites avail which means we will be in the base rooms which seem a little tight (maybe I'm incorrect). The standard rooms at PHT seem more spacious and can upgrade into a suite ahead of time.

I say go with GHT since it sounds like your family would make good use of the lounge. It's a comfortable space to relax (mitigating the lack of suite availability), and the F&B is excellent. The GHT lounge is probably one of the top 5 clubs in the Hyatt system.

Based on your original criteria, I couldn't recommend the PHT - the public areas are wonderful but the rooms are certainly dated. The PHT location is also the least convenient for public transportation.

Haven't been to Gajoen, but I will say the location (Meguro) is a little out of the way with not many top tourist sights in the area. Fortunately it is on the key Yamanote line, but travel times to major attractions in Tokyo will still be a little longer than from more central locations like Roppongi (on average).
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Of course, from a pure transportation standpoint, nothing beats Tokyo Station Hotel.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 6:53 am

Looking for some feedback from the community.

1) I will be there Jan 9-13 (4 nights)

2) Will book two rooms on points and have Globalist status.

3) Will likely upgrade one room into a suite using a DSU.
Are you going to TAS? I'll be there the same days.

I've stayed at the Centric, GH, and the Andaz. IMO, GH takes the cake with Globalist status + DSU.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:50 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by lamont2718
I couldn't recommend the PHT - the public areas are wonderful but the rooms are certainly dated.
With the exception of the bath, I find the rooms, particularly the furnishings, at the GHT much more dated than than those at the PHT. The room furniture at the GHT reminds me of visiting relatives back in the 1960's.

The almost windowless lounge (in the dining area) at the GHT is one about the least welcoming of any Hyatt lounge we've experienced in Asia. The food is certainly better and much more plentiful in the GHT lounge than the Twilight Tine at PHT that is comped for Diamonds, and the wines are significantly better at the GHT lounge, but the atmosphere is exponentially better at the PHT Twilight Time, where the cocktails are also pretty good.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 9:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
With the exception of the bath, I find the rooms, particularly the furnishings, at the GHT much more dated than than those at the PHT. The room furniture at the GHT reminds me of visiting relatives back in the 1960's.

The almost windowless lounge (in the dining area) at the GHT is one about the least welcoming of any Hyatt lounge we've experienced in Asia. The food is certainly better and much more plentiful in the GHT lounge than the Twilight Tine at PHT that is comped for Diamonds, and the wines are significantly better at the GHT lounge, but the atmosphere is exponentially better at the PHT Twilight Time, where the cocktails are also pretty good.
What wines do they offer in the GHT lounge?
Old Sep 17, 2019, 10:03 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
Yikes.

Surprisingly, the GHT opened in 2004 and completed a renovation in 2014--but it was more of a surface refresh and minor refurbishment. For you and many others, that soft retouch still shows and makes the hotel still seem dated.

Even more surprisingly, the PHT opened in 1994 and still hasn't been renovated. Resting on its laurels is an understatement. It is dated and tired, especially when compared with the multitude of luxury hotels that have opened since and/or been renovated to a much better standard than that of luxury in 1994.

So everyone is right when calling out both hotels for being dated.
drewp123 likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by bhrubin
Yikes.

Surprisingly, the GHT opened in 2004 and completed a renovation in 2014--but it was more of a surface refresh and minor refurbishment. For you and many others, that soft retouch still shows and makes the hotel still seem dated.

Even more surprisingly, the PHT opened in 1994 and still hasn't been renovated. Resting on its laurels is an understatement. It is dated and tired, especially when compared with the multitude of luxury hotels that have opened since and/or been renovated to a much better standard than that of luxury in 1994.

So everyone is right when calling out both hotels for being dated.
The GHT opened in April 2003, together with Roppongi Hills. I stayed there soon after the opening, it was very nice. Now not so much, but still OK. The PHT is probably going for the Okura "timeless" look, they only have another 25 years or so to go. And the Okura is so timeless that the brand-spanking new Okura replicates the original timeless lobby down to the tiniest detail. Thankfully the rooms don't. You could have started WW III with the instrument panel between the beds, which resembled some Russian Cold War nuclear warhead silo control center.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 3:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pickles
And the Okura is so timeless that the brand-spanking new Okura replicates the original timeless lobby down to the tiniest detail.
Except for the fact that it's about twice as big...
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Except for the fact that it's about twice as big...
And now twice as expensive, too.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 5:11 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What wines do they offer in the GHT lounge?
The last time we were there they had Au Bon Climate pinot and chard.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:45 pm

Location: The place where it gets so hot in the summer some planes can't take off.
Programs: Marriott LT Titanium, WoH Globalist, National EE, United Platinum
Lounge at HR was nothing to write home about but am I the only one that finds the HR in shinjuku a great location and with remodeled rooms, a decent hotel? Not sure why people think it’s isolated unless they don’t know how the train works or can’t walk.

no interest in the Andaz location, but maybe I’ll have to try the GH or Centric next time. For the points the HR was an incredible deal though.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 7:49 pm

Originally Posted by bigshooter
Lounge at HR was nothing to write home about but am I the only one that finds the HR in shinjuku a great location and with remodeled rooms, a decent hotel? Not sure why people think it’s isolated unless they don’t know how the train works or can’t walk.

no interest in the Andaz location, but maybe I’ll have to try the GH or Centric next time. For the points the HR was an incredible deal though.
Just to be clear, only rooms on club floor are remodeled, and they are very nice. The regular rooms are very dated and poor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.