Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Auckland - Pre-Opening discussion

Park Hyatt Auckland - Pre-Opening discussion

Old Nov 19, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist
Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Are you saying Hyatt bought out the Chinese group that owned and built it? If so, is there a public link to the transaction? I *hope* what you are saying is correct.

If that is not what you are saying, what exactly are you saying ("take over")?
That’s the information I got directly from the hotel last week regarding my potential stay in January (They still show some positive signs that they might open by beginning of January). What I think/thought they wanna say is that they gonna take over the turn-key property from the construction company in December and then finally start to run the hotel. However, based on today’s comments that seems very unlikely...
Old Nov 19, 2019, 5:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Gioventu
That’s the information I got directly from the hotel last week regarding my potential stay in January (They still show some positive signs that they might open by beginning of January). What I think/thought they wanna say is that they gonna take over the turn-key property from the construction company in December and then finally start to run the hotel. However, based on today’s comments that seems very unlikely...
Thanks for the follow-up. Hard to know from the "outside" just exactly what might be going on unless an insider leaks. I feel sorry for Hyatt and the very fine people of NZ and Auckland. China wants NZ as an annexed territory and had made moves to carry that out over the years. And for the Chinese money behind the project, it's simply a conduit the get their funds out of China. Hyatt and the New Zealanders got caught in the middle when CPC cracked down on escaping money a couple years ago.

I think the project is going to get tied up in litigation for years.

All my personal opinion, I hope I'm proven wrong.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 6:20 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond; HHonors Dia; Langham Voyager; Marriot & SPG Gold; UA Gold; AA Plat
Made reservation for mid-March 2020, when it was open for reservations beginning March 1st, 2020.

(I got in on the 10k AA LAX-AKL deal)

As of (a week?) ago, one can now only make reservations beginning April 1st or later.

Not exactly holding my breath that the hotel will be open for business in time for my stay.

With the repeated delays of the Great Scotland Yard, it's beginning to look like I'm 0-2 with brand-new properties :-(
Old Nov 30, 2019, 7:28 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by yoganeck
Made reservation for mid-March 2020, when it was open for reservations beginning March 1st, 2020.

As of (a week?) ago, one can now only make reservations beginning April 1st or later.

Not exactly holding my breath that the hotel will be open for business in time for my stay.

With the repeated delays of the Great Scotland Yard, it's beginning to look like I'm 0-2 with brand-new properties :-(
And this is why seasoned travellers don’t book properties within 6 months of a hotel’s proposed opening date.

Hotels almost never open on time or on budget.
Old Nov 30, 2019, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by yoganeck

I got an email from PH Auckland this week that their opening date is still 1st of March 2020. However, I am also not completely convinced that they can keep it... Good luck!
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:28 pm

Had a reservation for the second week of March, just got an email from the PH Auckland that the opening is Delayed and to start looking for other accommodations.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by JnTFlyer
Had a reservation for the second week of March, just got an email from the PH Auckland that the opening is Delayed and to start looking for other accommodations.
Did the hotel mention how long the delay would be?
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:09 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Dear Mr.777 Global Mile Hound

Greetings from Park Hyatt Auckland, I hope this email finds you well.

I am reaching out in relation to your upcoming reservation at Park Hyatt Auckland which we are currently holding in a non-smoking Park King Room.

I wanted to personally provide you with an update on the progress of the construction of the hotel and our anticipated opening date.

Unfortunately, over the past few months, the construction team have experienced delays which has raised concerns for us that we might be unable to meet our opening date of 1st March 2020.

I can assure you that all our efforts are focused on opening a property that represent the Park Hyatt brand and meet the expectations of our most valued Park Hyatt guests, however at this point we are not confident that our anticipated date will be met.

As March is high season for Auckland, we would like to provide you with as much time as possible to arrange alternative accommodation. Should you require assistance with this, or if you have any concierge requests, please let us know so we can ensure your time in Auckland is memorable.

Knowing that you are an esteemed Lifetime Globalist member we hope you can understand that as a Park Hyatt hotel, prior to opening our doors, everything must be immaculate so that we can continuously provide you with the experiences you have come accustomed to when visiting a member of the Hyatt family.

I understand that this update may be disappointing, we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this may cause.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best Regards,

Director of Rooms

While I appreciate the well written message
I suppose I will have to suck up the loss of my non refundable tickets for the two of us to Auckland which was premature on my part as I really didn't have a need to go to Auckland
I'm not sure that I want to fly to Auckland to stay yet again at the Hilton (been there done that) the only choice really attached to a good program
I had no reason to go to Auckland
The reason to go was to make it the opening week and do a trip report
I may just eat the loss of the tickets and go elsewhere (sigh)
Old Dec 30, 2019, 2:39 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
https://wolfstreet.com/2019/08/30/ch...o-11-year-low/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ulls-back-cash

Sorry to hear of your situation 777!
Old Dec 30, 2019, 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Appreciate the kind words small stuff in the big world I suppose.Ring in a good one!
Old Dec 31, 2019, 1:37 pm

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Appreciate the kind words small stuff in the big world I suppose.Ring in a good one!
Cordis? At least there are some benefits via Langham's scheme (both agent and traveller)
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:01 pm

This property is still far from opening. I am in Auckland right now and passed by yesterday. Quick photo update for all who are interested:

God knows what is happening here. Construction site was very empty and nothing is happening. Even if it was 1st of Jan yesterday other construction sites in the city center were more active... Compared to other photo updates before, there doesn’t seem to be a big progress. I assume Hyatt is facing other major problems than a normal construction delay here. Let’s see if this property really opens as a Park Hyatt eventually...
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Geesh, that looks almost identical to when I was there the last week in October. They’re taking bookings for May 1st... no more announcement as to when they are opening...
ryandc99 likes this.
Old Jan 1, 2020, 1:47 pm

Not looking good!Appreciate the update and photos ^
Then in May they can send out the same message due to our need to be perfect for our guests at our opening we suggest you look for another hotel for now
Old Jan 1, 2020, 3:51 pm

Likely Chinese money troubles.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.