Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Auckland - Pre-Opening discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Auckland - Pre-Opening discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 6:54 am

I'll be there in March & hopefully that's a sure bet for completion. Otherwise, it's the Hilton again.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 8:26 am

I'm in Auckland in early-Jan. Hope this hotel is open by then!
Gioventu likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 10:50 am

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
Just what I said- sometime before the end of July.
I’m aware of what you said, as I can read English and quoted you.

To avoid further confusion, I understand that in late July I can go to the Hyatt site and make a reservation. What I don’t know, and would be of interest to anyone reading this thread, is for what dates those reservations can be.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
Originally Posted by drewp123

I’m aware of what you said, as I can read English and quoted you.

To avoid further confusion, I understand that in late July I can go to the Hyatt site and make a reservation. What I don’t know, and would be of interest to anyone reading this thread, is for what dates those reservations can be.
OK got you loud and clear... thank you for the blunt clarification. Ever more the norm here on FT!

So, I exchanged emails with the GM about a month ago and he said that the hotel was to open in Q4 (see my previous posts). I told him I was looking to reserve for end of October/early November and he was non-committal (as to be expected).

Basically at this point I think a) reservations won't open before the end of the month and b) Q4 is questionable. These guys are a mess- way behind schedule.
katstarr and newfrequent like this.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by JetAway
Unbelievable how long it has taken to construct this relatively modest building.
I thought the same thing. It's not a big development or even a highly obscured area so not sure what their problem is.

The outside works could be completed fast, seems like it's mostly concrete pouring and some window settings. The real question is how does it look INSIDE? If there's nothing done yet then kiss the September date goodbye. There is no way they can get that up from scratch in a month or even two.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:05 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
September is gone...
Q4 is the latest update and when I asked I was told they couldn’t guarantee November 1st.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:14 am

I am going to Auckland next week. I wrote to the Park Hyatt General Manager, Brett Sweetman on LinkedIn and asked if it was possible to tour the site. He said: "Hi Kathy, I am unable to arrange a tour of our site as it is still a construction site during this fit out phase."

I'll still take some photos of what I can when I'm there next week.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 6:32 am

Please do! :-) thanks!
katstarr likes this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:13 am

Originally Posted by katstarr
I am going to Auckland next week. I wrote to the Park Hyatt General Manager, Brett Sweetman on LinkedIn and asked if it was possible to tour the site. He said: "Hi Kathy, I am unable to arrange a tour of our site as it is still a construction site during this fit out phase."

I'll still take some photos of what I can when I'm there next week.
Talk to some of the workers if you can do so easily (and safely) and see if you can get the straight scoop on what is really going on with this place and the long delay.
bostontraveler and katstarr like this.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 8:36 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Construction of any new build almost always takes longer than expected. It’s not exactly rocket science. That’s what’s going on.

I’m reminded of children in the back of the car repeatedly asking, “Are we there yet?”
Old Jul 30, 2019, 6:47 am

There’s quite a bit of that on FT these days...
that said, this project has been particularly laden with delays... If you’ve followed it closely, which many of us have, they have been incredibly disorganized.
katstarr likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist
I just found following construction update on the official "Wynyard Quarter" website from approx. one month ago:

Construction Updates for Park Hyatt

27 June 2019
Work on the Park Hyatt is in its final stages. The ground floor will feature retail outlets, a public plaza and a promenade. Mana Whenua artworks are to be installed in the form of 4 four cultural pou.

Completion is anticipated in August 2019. The Park Hyatt’s official opening is on 30 August 2019, but the completion and opening dates are currently being revised by developers.

Source

That doesn't sound too bad and generates a feeling of optimism for an opening still in 2019!
Old Aug 4, 2019, 8:15 pm

Programs: LX SEN & WoH Globalist
I just got an update directly from PH Auckland, they still plan to open at the end of this year and will definitely be open in January 2020. Their reservations system should be live and open for booking in the next few weeks. In addition, they still don't know their WoH category...

Frankly speaking that doesn't sound very specific and convincing but let's wait and see...
Old Aug 5, 2019, 8:00 am

I've booked my flights for Auckland during the second week of January, so it is good news to hear that the hotel will be open by then!
Old Aug 6, 2019, 4:19 pm

As promised I took these photos yesterday- yes, I’m posting a blog post- I don’t intend this as clickbait- it’s just the easiest way to share and to upload photos.

https://willrunformiles.boardingarea...-construction/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.