Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt Auckland - Pre-Opening discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Park Hyatt Auckland - Pre-Opening discussion

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11, 2020, 7:09 pm

Programs: AS 100k, BA GGL, UA 1k, DL DM, AC SE, B6 Mosaic4, Hyatt/Hilton/Wyndham/IHG Diamond, Marriot Ti
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Dear Mr.777 Global Mile Hound

Greetings from Park Hyatt Auckland, I hope this email finds you well.

I am reaching out in relation to your upcoming reservation at Park Hyatt Auckland which we are currently holding in a non-smoking Park King Room.

I wanted to personally provide you with an update on the progress of the construction of the hotel and our anticipated opening date.

Unfortunately, over the past few months, the construction team have experienced delays which has raised concerns for us that we might be unable to meet our opening date of 1st March 2020.

I can assure you that all our efforts are focused on opening a property that represent the Park Hyatt brand and meet the expectations of our most valued Park Hyatt guests, however at this point we are not confident that our anticipated date will be met.

As March is high season for Auckland, we would like to provide you with as much time as possible to arrange alternative accommodation. Should you require assistance with this, or if you have any concierge requests, please let us know so we can ensure your time in Auckland is memorable.

Knowing that you are an esteemed Lifetime Globalist member we hope you can understand that as a Park Hyatt hotel, prior to opening our doors, everything must be immaculate so that we can continuously provide you with the experiences you have come accustomed to when visiting a member of the Hyatt family.

I understand that this update may be disappointing, we sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this may cause.

I am looking forward to hearing back from you.

Best Regards,

Director of Rooms

While I appreciate the well written message
I suppose I will have to suck up the loss of my non refundable tickets for the two of us to Auckland which was premature on my part as I really didn't have a need to go to Auckland
I'm not sure that I want to fly to Auckland to stay yet again at the Hilton (been there done that) the only choice really attached to a good program
I had no reason to go to Auckland
The reason to go was to make it the opening week and do a trip report
I may just eat the loss of the tickets and go elsewhere (sigh)
Just got the same email. Also have nonrefundable travel mostly to visit this property at opening. Disappointing.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 10:34 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by TalkingPoint
Just got the same email. Also have nonrefundable travel mostly to visit this property at opening. Disappointing.
Between the hotel not opening and smoke wafting into New Zealand from Australia I just paid some hefty cancellation fees and threw in the towel
Oh well its the first getting whacked with cancellation fees to this extent with a hotel not opening.Usually I just find another hotel
This happened to me once before years ago with an SPG property however they coordinated a hotel for me and even offered me points to make the up the difference in cost
which was a class act thing to do
I come to expect far less today overall from hotel companies and Hyatt is still one of the best out there even with some of the bumps in the road that occur
They have been pretty good to me I must say including Executive Plat with American this year
Old Jan 12, 2020, 1:55 pm

Location: LH SEN, SPG Gold(SCI Gold), Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold
Yes of you hold a confirmed reservation, ist should be their business to arrange a different one for you.
Old Jan 13, 2020, 4:12 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Latest Update

I would like to personally reach out to provide you with an update of our opening dates following my previous correspondence in December last year.

Since my last email, we have received confirmation from the construction company regarding the progress of the project and the scheduled opening date.

Unfortunately our opening has been delayed and we are only able to accept reservations from June 1, 2020 onwards.

I understand that you had already cancelled your reservation, however if you would like to rebook for a future date, please let me know and I would be pleased to assist.

Mr. 777 Global Mile Hound I assure you that myself and the team share your disappointment and frustration with this delay and I am very sorry for the inconvenience caused to you.

Kindly reach out to myself should you be planning another visit to Auckland in the future

I hope to be able to welcome you to Park Hyatt Auckland in the future once we have opened our doors.
Old Feb 18, 2020, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
It's been six years since I last visited New Zealand and I had hoped my next visit would allow me to stay with Hyatt. Now having to travel down for a funeral this weekend, I am disappointed to see the property is still not open. For those who have received correspondence from the property, are they still targeting a June opening date? I might try to swing by the site and take some photos if it is accessible.
Old Mar 31, 2020, 4:57 pm

Programs: Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Wild...

https://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/article.aspx?id=307774

"10 March 2020
It's been revealed five people on Auckland's Park Hyatt Construction site have been working there illegally.
A compliance visit last week saw one person detained for unlawfully being in the country, two people served Deportation Liability Notices and another two were found in breach of visa their conditions.
The 300-million-dollar waterfront hotel in Wynyard Quarter is still under construction - despite expectations it would be open for business at the beginning of the month.
But the hotel is confident it will have "no effect" on the final completion date.
It's now expected to open during the second quarter of this year."
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:10 pm

I've got a reservation for mid-June. It hasn't been canceled yet but this is what is posted on the property website:

"The safety of our guests and colleagues is always a top priority. In light of COVID-19 and for precautionary measures, the hotel’s availability will be closed until 31 August 2020."
Old Apr 1, 2020, 12:13 pm

Originally Posted by BigJC
I've got a reservation for mid-June. It hasn't been canceled yet but this is what is posted on the property website:

"The safety of our guests and colleagues is always a top priority. In light of COVID-19 and for precautionary measures, the hotel’s availability will be closed until 31 August 2020."
Damn! FIVE Months. Crazy times, regardless of the reason for delay in opening
Old May 12, 2020, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
If anyone has any further updates on this opening, please post them. Was hoping to stay there end of the year or early 2021. Thanks!
Old May 12, 2020, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
If anyone has any further updates on this opening, please post them. Was hoping to stay there end of the year or early 2021. Thanks!
My Concierge told me a week ago still forecast for Aug 2020. However...I personally would not set any plans in concrete until that's confirmed. Given history and all
Old May 12, 2020, 10:37 pm

Programs: SQ, LH, BA, IHG Diamond AMB, HH Gold, SLH Indulged, Accor Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I wouldn't set them in concrete until I see the first stay report from an FTer . YMMV.
Old May 13, 2020, 3:14 am

Whatever the plan was, it would be delayed by at least a month as the whole country shut down. Walking by the hotel though, looks like they doing the internal fit out now so maybe not that far away from finishing.

If you are not a New Zealand citizen and live outside New Zealand or Australia, good luck getting into New Zealand at any stage this year!
Old May 14, 2020, 6:30 am

Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion
If you are not a New Zealand citizen and live outside New Zealand or Australia, good luck getting into New Zealand at any stage this year!
And much of NZ's travel industry is unlikely to survive past that point.
Old May 14, 2020, 7:32 am

Originally Posted by KiwiMarmion
Walking by the hotel though, looks like they doing the internal fit out now so maybe not that far away from finishing.
Thanks for the local datapoint! I'm looking forward to buying some more possum fur sweaters/jackets as soon as the nice people will let me in to do so

On the off chance you might work across the street from the site, I would be super curious if the Chinese work crew has been replaced by a non-Chonese work crew. Might be indicative of change in ownership.

Originally Posted by JetAway
And much of NZ's travel industry is unlikely to survive past that point.
Yup. Agreed.
Old May 16, 2020, 12:48 am

Originally Posted by LoungeLizardHugo
Thanks for the local datapoint! I'm looking forward to buying some more possum fur sweaters/jackets as soon as the nice people will let me in to do so

On the off chance you might work across the street from the site, I would be super curious if the Chinese work crew has been replaced by a non-Chonese work crew. Might be indicative of change in ownership.

Yup. Agreed.
As far as I'm aware it is still the China Hawkins JV building the thing until it is finished. Usual mix of contractors, probably a lot of south east Asian.

Might struggle without some international travel being allowed since the room rate is astronomical for an Auckland hotel.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.