Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Regency - Chongming, China REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 1, 2014, 11:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond

I don't see an existing thread for this hotel so will start a new one.

I spent a night there from 9/29-9/30. It's the week-long national holidays in China, and I got an early start for a quick getaway from downtown Shanghai.

Before getting into the details though I have to say overall it's a negative experience due to a protest going on at the property. When we arrived there was a heavy-duty dump truck and van blocking the entrances to the hotel and banners hung up saying things like "Pay us our hard-earned money, Hyatt." It appeared to be migrant workers who did not get paid after working on the property. Later on I found out from some hotel employees that it was a dispute between workers and sub-contracted companies who worked on the construction. Apparently this had been going on for a few days.

My car was physically blocked by a person who refused to budge and just sat down in front of the car. Hotel staff said they were powerless to do anything. To me, they were trespassing on private property, but hey, in China who knows if there's even private property. My wife called the police. The police came and didn't do anything. At the beginning they weren't letting people out. Later, the police were at least able to persuade them to let people out, because if they didn't it would be a form of false imprisonment. Alas, I still couldn't get in. After waiting for 45 minutes I parked next door (at a Hyatt-related vacation villa compound). They had a golf cart to drive us around.

Anyways at check-in my wife mentioned our inconvenience. FD staff apologized but no offer of compensation (I'm Platinum and booked a My Elite Rate room). No official management explanation. I had to explain to my 3 year-old why people were protesting and blocking the entrance.

Onto the details:

Getting there: without traffic it takes about 1.5 hours from the middle of Puxi. From Pudong airport it's probably 1 hour. When traffic is bad though I can see it taking 2-3 hours.

Rooms: pretty nice, each with a balcony. The ones on the ground floor also had little yards. The hotel is dog-friendly. Minibar is free for the first round.

F&B: still some start-up hiccups. Staff was obviously still being trained (what spoons to use, etc.) We asked for a modification to a pasta dish and at first the head waiter wouldn't agree but we asked him to check with the chef - afterwards they said it was fine. The Chinese restaurant was quite nice. Unfortunately since it was before the real holidays started the Italian restaurant wasn't open.

Pool: nice indoor pool.

Children's play area: not open

Other activity: they had bikes for rent which was nice. However the price is high (RMB 100 for 2 hours, 2 hour minimum). Also the area around the hotel is really nothing to look at or ride.

There is also an area called "the Campus" which seemed nice with karaoke rooms, bars, and foosball and pool tables. Unfortunately this wasn't open either...

Overall, maybe I would go back once the service improves and they don't just shut down areas of the hotel. Hardware, like many hotels in China, is nice. The disruption from the protest was disturbing, but management didn't really handle it well in my opinion.

Today (2 days after checkout) I received a "Thank you for staying with us" email but without any links to a survey or ways to provide feedback, which is why I decided to post here.

Last edited by YariGuy; Oct 1, 2014 at 11:17 pm
Old Oct 2, 2014, 12:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Other activity: they had bikes for rent which was nice. However the price is high (RMB 100 for 2 hours, 2 hour minimum). Also the area around the hotel is really nothing to look at or ride.
I've never been to Chongming, but "nothing to look at" is pretty much how all of the Chongming taxi drivers I've met have described it.
Old Oct 2, 2014, 4:09 am

Do you care at all that migrant workers may have been robbed of their wages?

I'm you aren't as self-involved as your post makes you sound.
Old Oct 3, 2014, 2:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by camsean
Do you care at all that migrant workers may have been robbed of their wages?

I'm you aren't as self-involved as your post makes you sound.
I thought this was a forum to talk about hotels.

But since you ask, yes I do care, and I suggested to him that he more fully block the entrance (the van left a gap where cars can squeeze in if driving on the curb) and I mentioned to hotel personnel that they should really help take care of this even if they're not technically at fault.

But was I inconvenienced? Yes.

And I hope you aren't as high on your horse as your post makes you sound.
Old May 28, 2019, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anyone had recent stays?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.