Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2019, 5:48 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
I guess they ran out of money.
LOL...those fancy latrines do appear as if they cost a pretty penny! Come to think of it, can't recall any PHs or even GHs/HRs I've stayed in Asia ex HK that didn't have one off these washlets. At the ICN KE lounge, since I can't read Korean, thankfully had a drawn sign above pointing to "flush," otherwise I would have spent a good amount of time pressing random buttons.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 6:46 am

I don’t see Gary as the DYKWIA sorta person. He’s just sharing his experience and he doesn’t seem shy about applying the age old ...’ask and ya shall...’ approach. I’ve also received better upgrades (including at PHNY) by asking.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by CodeAdam10
I don’t see Gary as the DYKWIA sorta person. He’s just sharing his experience and he doesn’t seem shy about applying the age old ...’ask and ya shall...’ approach. I’ve also received better upgrades (including at PHNY) by asking.
I’m sure it doesn’t hurt that he’s a fairly well known blogger, but my experiences have basically echoed his at PHNY. Even with some (minor) service issues, it’s my by-far favorite Hyatt in the U.S... love love love the rooms and the spa/pool area. Had extremely good breakfasts there too. But hey, just one opinion.
afmiami likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2019, 3:20 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
I’m sure it doesn’t hurt that he’s a fairly well known blogger, but my experiences have basically echoed his at PHNY. Even with some not so (minor) service issues, it’s my by-far favorite Hyatt in the U.S... love love love the rooms and the spa/pool area. Had extremely good breakfasts there too. But hey, just two one opinions.
As per my review, I am in your camp there so make it two!
afmiami likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:45 am
Suspended

My wife and I are staying 2 nights in October with points. I'm happy to spend cash to upgrade to a suite. How would we do this? Call Hyatt? Is there something specific I should be asking for?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by arjaok
My wife and I are staying 2 nights in October with points. I'm happy to spend cash to upgrade to a suite. How would we do this? Call Hyatt? Is there something specific I should be asking for?
If you have extra points you can call Hyatt and try to use those. Absent that, you’ll need to deal directly with the hotel (I’d suggest emailing them or wait and discuss at check in). Don’t expect a bargain. Go on Hyatt.com and calculate the cash difference between the room you got w/points and the suite you want... and yes expect $500+ per night for an upgrade.

BTW... the 1-bedroom suites (and higher) are really the only ones worth paying extra $ for... I suggest if you don’t have it already, get a Hyatt credit card and go in with Discoverist status (which might get you a small upgrade for free)... BUT don’t pay for an upgrade to a studio suite or similar as these are just slightly larger standard rooms (and the PHNY standard rooms are quite nice anyway).

Last edited by txhyattlvr; Aug 11, 2019 at 11:01 am
Old Aug 11, 2019, 11:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Have you stayed at PHNY before? Unless you're going to be mostly staying in the room, which is atypical for people vacationing in NYC, the standard rooms at PHNY are already much bigger than the average NYC hotel room, and the view doesn't change much, if at all, from upgrading.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:47 pm
Suspended

If you have extra points you can call Hyatt and try to use those. Absent that, you’ll need to deal directly with the hotel (I’d suggest emailing them or wait and discuss at check in). Don’t expect a bargain. Go on Hyatt.com and calculate the cash difference between the room you got w/points and the suite you want... and yes expect $500+ per night for an upgrade.

BTW... the 1-bedroom suites (and higher) are really the only ones worth paying extra $ for... I suggest if you don’t have it already, get a Hyatt credit card and go in with Discoverist status (which might get you a small upgrade for free)... BUT don’t pay for an upgrade to a studio suite or similar as these are just slightly larger standard rooms (and the PHNY standard rooms are quite nice anyway).

Sorry, I should have mentioned that we're Explorists, I've just never tried to upgrade a room in advance, but this one is a special occasion so it would be nice to get something extra special, even $500/night would be fine honestly.

ty for the advice about the rooms, it sounds like there are some "suites" that overuse the term a bit?
Old Aug 11, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
ty for the advice about the rooms, it sounds like there are some "suites" that overuse the term a bit?
Yes, the 1 King Bed "Suite" and the Studio "Suites" are all junior suites and not at all worth upgrading to. I would aim for at least the "1 Bedroom City View Suite" for your special occasion, although my best advice for any special occasion would be to book elsewhere.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 5:48 pm

Sorry, I should have mentioned that we're Explorists, I've just never tried to upgrade a room in advance, but this one is a special occasion so it would be nice to get something extra special, even $500/night would be fine honestly.

Yes and No. ALL rooms that’s I’ve seen at PHNY are gorgeous. There ARE known to be some not-so-great ones but you should avoid those by simply being an Explorist.

As you probably already know, not everyone thinks it’s a great hotel but I love it. Simply gorgeous facility, perfect location, and don’t miss the pool area!

Email them, tell them your situation, and see what they offer you for a 1 bedroom... otherwise make sure they note it’s a special occasion and I bet you wind up with a King Suite/Studio Suite gratis upon arrival (because your Explorist).
Old Aug 11, 2019, 6:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
...otherwise make sure they note it’s a special occasion and I bet you wind up with a King Suite/Studio Suite gratis upon arrival (because your Explorist)
Good luck with that. I'm now 0-for-4 on suite upgrades at PHNY as a Globalist.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:10 pm
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by joe_miami
Good luck with that. I'm now 0-for-4 on suite upgrades at PHNY as a Globalist.
Uh oh. Cracks in the ultimate supremacy and perfection of Globalist status cannot be tolerated.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 7:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by bhrubin

Uh oh. Cracks in the ultimate supremacy and perfection of Globalist status cannot be tolerated.
Don't worry, I'm at least 5/5 on suite upgrades, and all have been to the 1-bedroom suite (not the fake junior suite). I've never stayed in a regular room here, and have only ever stayed on points.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 11, 2019, 9:08 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
Don't worry, I'm at least 5/5 on suite upgrades, and all have been to the 1-bedroom suite (not the fake junior suite). I've never stayed in a regular room here, and have only ever stayed on points.
Same. 100% upgrade rate. Never had to ask, either.
Old Aug 13, 2019, 8:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, United Global Services/1MM

Same. 100% upgrade rate. Never had to ask, either.
Me too. 3/3 for free upgrades without asking over the past two years. My last trip in June, I tried to secure an upgrade with a TSU beforehand as it was a 4 night stay with 2 nights paid + 2 nights on points and they wouldn't allow the TSU to confirm, but when the phone agent called the hotel, they told her "don't worry, we will take care of him as a Globalist", and they did - again.

As for the breakfast, its good for a free breakfast for sure, but there is absolutely no way that I'd pay what they ask for it if I were paying. Lots of better places in NYC to get a great breakfast for a fraction of the price.

I've had nothing but great stays here so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.