Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:50 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by stargold
I see this sometimes on Marriott too - I just disregard it, assuming it to be a mistake. The only thing I pay particular attention to is the cancellation policy.
I was thinking that too and at a lower rate I wouldn't care but at over $1100 a night that would be a hefty deposit to pay now for a reservation at the end of 2019.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Is it during a high demand period? That's when you usually see this sort of thing.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by Kacee
Is it during a high demand period? That's when you usually see this sort of thing.
I guess the first week in December 2019 would likely be considered a high demand period.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj
I guess the first week in December 2019 would likely be considered a high demand period.
It doesn't matter, the benefit is not subject to availability. Just inform them that late checkout is a benefit of globalist and you'll be checking out at 4pm. It's not a request.

Unless, of course, it's designated as a resort (it's not, is it?). If it's a resort, it is subject to availability.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
They're not talking about late checkout.
sapguy likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
They're not talking about late checkout.
Wow...

A bunch of posts (basically everything between yesterday morning and the last posts from today) that I did not see before somehow popped up in the middle of what I was reading before. Either I missed them (not sure how?) or there was some strange display error?

Sorry, my mistake.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 8:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Originally Posted by sapguy

Yes, we ordered it, and it was truly awful - see my ‘whining’ posts on this matter

As a regular poster on the Hyatt Japanese properties threads, I would be curious of your opinion should you stay at the PH NYC and order the Japanese breakfast. Ahh, the breakfast at those Hyatt properties in Tokyo and Kyoto are something that I look forward to each morning!
the joke is on you for expecting a NY hotel to treat you the way Japan hotels treat you. Those are 2 different worlds
dpb132 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by bknets88

the joke is on you for expecting a NY hotel to treat you the way Japan hotels treat you. Those are 2 different worlds
Totally agree. Different parts of the world have different service standards. By NYC standards the PHNY has been very good to me. Now is it the same as what you see in parts of Asia or Europe (or even Mexico or other parts of the US, for that matter?) Definitely not. But those cities/countries operate under different standards and norms than NYC. It's called culture. I know there are some true standouts for service in NYC but it's not the baseline or norm there, and those properties by-and-large do not offer FREE rooms via easily attainable points....
dpb132 likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

To be fair, the OP was asking me about the quality of the Japanese breakfast at PHNY vs. Japanese Hyatts. Not about the service levels.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 9:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Totally agree. Different parts of the world have different service standards. By NYC standards the PHNY has been very good to me. Now is it the same as what you see in parts of Asia or Europe (or even Mexico or other parts of the US, for that matter?) Definitely not. But those cities/countries operate under different standards and norms than NYC. It's called culture. I know there are some true standouts for service in NYC but it's not the baseline or norm there, and those properties by-and-large do not offer FREE rooms via easily attainable points....
The idea that Hyatt points are "easily attainable" to the point that people should feel grateful just to be able to spend 30,000 points per night at PHNY is fairly ludicrous. It's even more ludicrous that persistent service failures to top-tier Hyatt elites at Hyatt's flagship property should be hand-waved because of "NYC culture."
sapguy likes this.
Old Jan 3, 2019, 10:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
There are NYC hotels with fabulous service. PHNYC is not one of them.
sapguy and scented like this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:40 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Actually, the joke is on Hyatt to have this pathetic hotel be the ‘flagship luxury property’ of the HYATT WORLD! There is only ONE such Hyatt world

You clearly missed the point as staying at a Park Hyatt anywhere in the world should be a POSITIVE memorable experience! My stay at the PH NYC was memorable, but in a NEGATIVE way.

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The idea that Hyatt points are "easily attainable" to the point that people should feel grateful just to be able to spend 30,000 points per night at PHNY is fairly ludicrous. It's even more ludicrous that persistent service failures to top-tier Hyatt elites at Hyatt's flagship property should be hand-waved because of "NYC culture."
It’s not ‘fairly ludicrous’, it’s totally ludicrous! And 30,000 points is NOT FREE!

Completely agree with you that service failure at a hotel like the PH NYC, no matter how small, should not be tolerated!

Originally Posted by Kacee
There are NYC hotels with fabulous service. PHNYC is not one of them.
Hmmm, let’s see: the Andaz 5th Avenue, the Waldorf=Astoria, the St Regis, I have stayed at those and they are FAR BETTER than the pathetic PH NYC. Somehow, the ‘New York culture’ is different at these hotels

I can only imagine what the experience would be like at the Four Seasons, the Peninsula, or the Ritz-Carlton, hotels which the PH NYC hope to compete against.

Originally Posted by Aventine
To be fair, the OP was asking me about the quality of the Japanese breakfast at PHNY vs. Japanese Hyatts. Not about the service levels.
Thanks, as I did invite you to possibly offer your opinion in comparing the Japanese breakfasts.

But this entire ‘debate’ is about my stay at the PH NYC, which was not that good!

I am a huge fan of Hyatt, and the chain has treated me very well all over the world including in NYC like at the Andaz 5th Avenue. My recent experiences with Hyatt in Japan, Hong Kong, and Vietnam could have been influencing factors as they were so amazingly positive ones.

And I very rarely post negative reviews or complaints on FT on any brand. But the PH NYC missed the mark and should be called out - in fact, I cannot wait for the Hyatt satisfactions survey with its link to Trip Advisor.

Last edited by Markie; Dec 15, 2019 at 8:21 pm
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
I am sorry that you feel you had a bad stay at the PH NYC. From your previous post it sounds like you have a valid complaint in that they didn't honor your guaranteed 4PM checkout, which they should have. I've stayed at both the PH NYC and the Andaz 5th Ave many times including back to back stays over New Year's. Both are fine properties, but the PH NYC is now truly a flagship property with some of the nicest rooms in the Hyatt system along with great service. It seems most of your other complaints are regarding housekeeping. I've not experienced missing items on previous stays, and you are correct that details like this should not be missed at a Park Hyatt.

Things were a little less polished right after the property opened, especially at the front desk/bellhop. But the experience is now on par with (or similar to) other top Park Hyatt's such as Paris or Sydney. Definitely a notch or two above Chicago and DC and significantly better than Carlsbad based on my previous stays at those properties.

It's regrettable that the hotel doesn't have a fine dining restaurant. That is about my only complaint these days. So I definitely think you should consider giving PH NYC another chance during a future trip.

Finally, agree with you on the Japanese breakfast. It's a nice new option, but not authentic at all.

Thanks, as I did invite you to possibly offer your opinion in comparing the Japanese breakfasts.

But this entire ‘debate’ is about my stay at the PH NYC, which was not that good!

I am a huge fan of Hyatt, and the chain has treated me very well all over the world including in NYC like at the Andaz 5th Avenue. My recent experiences with Hyatt in Japan, Hong Kong, and Vietnam could have been influencing factors as they were so amazingly positive ones.

And I very rarely post negative reviews or complaints on FT on any brand. But the PH NYC missed the mark and should be called out - in fact, I cannot wait for the Hyatt satisfactions survey with its link to Trip Advisor.
lighthouse206 likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by sensei
I am sorry that you feel you had a bad stay at the PH NYC. From your previous post it sounds like you have a valid complaint in that they didn't honor your guaranteed 4PM checkout, which they should have. I've stayed at both the PH NYC and the Andaz 5th Ave many times including back to back stays over New Year's. Both are fine properties, but the PH NYC is now truly a flagship property with some of the nicest rooms in the Hyatt system along with great service. It seems most of your other complaints are regarding housekeeping. I've not experienced missing items on previous stays, and you are correct that details like this should not be missed at a Park Hyatt.

Things were a little less polished right after the property opened, especially at the front desk/bellhop. But the experience is now on par with (or similar to) other top Park Hyatt's such as Paris or Sydney. Definitely a notch or two above Chicago and DC and significantly better than Carlsbad based on my previous stays at those properties.

It's regrettable that the hotel doesn't have a fine dining restaurant. That is about my only complaint these days. So I definitely think you should consider giving PH NYC another chance during a future trip.

Finally, agree with you on the Japanese breakfast. It's a nice new option, but not authentic at all.
Thank you sensei, for your excellent and respectful post which shows that you have a better understanding of what happened.

My stay was not 'bad' per se, but it certainly was disappointing ( or 'meh' if you will) especially since I had a certain level of expectation for a Park Hyatt - and I continue to maintain that this hotel should not, and does not deserve to be, a 'flagship luxury property' for Hyatt as there are far better properties which could carry that title!

No one is perfect, and the housekeeping team at the PH NYC did not distinguish itself, but I also didn't think that the décor was up to PH standard even though the room was spacious and quite nice, with that lovely nook facing Carnegie Hall and a decent bathroom. Time will tell if I will give this hotel another try or not.

Regarding the service, I would have to disagree with your point of "But the experience is now on par with (or similar to) other top Park Hyatt's such as Paris" as my experience at the PH NYC is significantly inferior to the PH Paris, and in fact, it's not even as good as the Andaz 5th Avenue. Of course, each of us have a difference perspective and experience, so I am glad that your experience at the PH NYC has been positive.

I just booked the Park Hyatt DC for March so we'll see how things go, but my feeling is that the Park Hyatt Aviara in Carlsbad delivers far superior service and the rooms are much more luxurious than the one that I had at the PH NYC.

In my global travel, I have had the good fortune of building very personal relationship with GMs of top Hyatt hotels, such as Claudio Ceccherelli of the PH Paris Vendome, or Frederic Boulin in HCM City, or Shane Nicolopoulos at the Andaz San Diego, or Kevin Kennedy of the Hyatt Regency Orlando, to name a few, and I have always marveled at the amount of efforts that they go through to 'sweat the details' and to make sure that their Globalists and good customers are satisfied ! I have been invited to drinks by several of these GMs and I asked them what do they worry about the most, and they all told me that they are most concerned about the little mistakes that their staff make which can ruin their hard earned reputation - the warm water bottle situation is one such mistake as funny enough, it was discussed during one of our conversations. The fact that the GM of the PH NYC did not even send me a welcome note does NOT bother me that much, but it shows how this hotel doesn't much care about its Globalists as customers.
asnovici likes this.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Thank you sensei, for your excellent and respectful post which shows that you have a better understanding of what happened.

My stay was not 'bad' per se, but it certainly was disappointing ( or 'meh' if you will) especially since I had a certain level of expectation for a Park Hyatt - and I continue to maintain that this hotel should not, and does not deserve to be, a 'flagship luxury property' for Hyatt as there are far better properties which could carry that title!

No one is perfect, and the housekeeping team at the PH NYC did not distinguish itself, but I also didn't think that the décor was up to PH standard even though the room was spacious and quite nice, with that lovely nook facing Carnegie Hall and a decent bathroom. Time will tell if I will give this hotel another try or not.

Regarding the service, I would have to disagree with your point of "But the experience is now on par with (or similar to) other top Park Hyatt's such as Paris" as my experience at the PH NYC is significantly inferior to the PH Paris, and in fact, it's not even as good as the Andaz 5th Avenue. Of course, each of us have a difference perspective and experience, so I am glad that your experience at the PH NYC has been positive.

I just booked the Park Hyatt DC for March so we'll see how things go, but my feeling is that the Park Hyatt Aviara in Carlsbad delivers far superior service and the rooms are much more luxurious than the one that I had at the PH NYC.

In my global travel, I have had the good fortune of building very personal relationship with GMs of top Hyatt hotels, such as Claudio Ceccherelli of the PH Paris Vendome, or Frederic Boulin in HCM City, or Shane Nicolopoulos at the Andaz San Diego, or Kevin Kennedy of the Hyatt Regency Orlando, to name a few, and I have always marveled at the amount of efforts that they go through to 'sweat the details' and to make sure that their Globalists and good customers are satisfied ! I have been invited to drinks by several of these GMs and I asked them what do they worry about the most, and they all told me that they are most concerned about the little mistakes that their staff make which can ruin their hard earned reputation - the warm water bottle situation is one such mistake as funny enough, it was discussed during one of our conversations. The fact that the GM of the PH NYC did not even send me a welcome note does NOT bother me that much, but it shows how this hotel doesn't much care about its Globalists as customers.
The former GM of this place never even had the decency to reply to an email of mine. That says everything when a GM doesn't take the time to address a Hyatt elite and passes it down to the front end manager.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.