Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 2, 2019, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Happy to report a very positive two-night stay here over Christmas 2018 as a Globalist. Really enjoyed all aspects of the property, and found the service to be pleasant and, overall, quite good (minor hiccup with the bags at check in that was quickly rectified).

Booked two basic king rooms, both on points (one for me and one Guest of Honor). Was able to apply a TSU to my room in advance to what I believe they call a King Suite. Was further upgraded at check-in to a City View King Suite (view of Carnegie Hall and 57th St). The Guest of Honor room was upgraded at check-in to a City View King. I believe they were sold out of TSU-eligible suites as another Globalist checking in at the same time as me was turned down for an upgrade.

Interestingly, when we arrived about 2pm, I was told the suite would not be ready until 3pm. While this would have been perfectly fine, I was offered 4 drink vouchers ($80 value) for the delay, which I thought was a very nice and unnecessary gesture.

Was advised at check in that per person breakfast covered an entree, juice, and hot beverage, so consistent with WOH terms. In practice, my group of four went a bit over this both mornings with side dishes and such, to the tune of a bill of around $260 including 18% gratuity. The entire bill was wiped out (proactively for my room and at check out for my Guest of Honor room).

Valet parked a car, and never saw a charge for it.

Would absolutely stay here again.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
On the other hand, I am unhappy to report a rather lame stay at the Park Hyatt NYC, the so-called 'flagship property' - I don't think so.

First, the good:
  1. Was 'upgraded' upon check-in to a room with a view of Carnegie Hall, as no suite with 2 double beds was available - to be fair to them, I did require 2 double beds since my son was staying with me
  2. The room was quite spacious and has a 'nook' by the window with the view of Carnegie Hall, with a couch where I was able to host a little wine and cheese party before our dinner
  3. The bed linen and the bed were both top notch! Very much enjoyed this aspect of our stay
  4. The housekeeping turndown service was good but they missed a critical aspect - see the bad below
  5. The valet parking costing $75 was complimentary to me as a Globalist staying on points
  6. Was informed that the Globalist breakfast would consist of one entre, one juice, and a coffee or tea (no dollar amount limit was mentioned) and I could take it in the Living Room or as room service
  7. The complimentary Mercedes S-class car service was used and the driver was very nice as he dropped us off at a location slightly over 10 blocks - this was very much appreciated since it rained quite hard that day, and we tipped him well
Now, the bad:
  1. The 2 bottles of complimentary waters were in the closed beverage bar which was so hot that the water was warm! May be I'm overly picky here but I'm not into warm bottled water
  2. There was no lotion as they may have forgotten to put it in - I ran into a housekeeper in the hallway and to her credit, she proffered several bottles of Le Labo lotions as well as cold bottles of water upon hearing my complaint about the warm water. So this one is a wash
  3. There was no shoes shine bag - did not know until later that I had to request the shoes shine service via the iPad. This is unnecessarily complicated as shoes shining is handled with a bag in Paris, Carlsbad, Tokyo, Ho Chi Minh City, etc.
  4. There was no laundry bags either! I didn't need any laundry done but it appears to be sloppy housekeeping?
  5. While the room is spacious and 'nice', it is not really up to Park Hyatt standard if you compare it to Park Hyatt properties in Paris, Carlsbad, Tokyo, Ho Chi Minh City, etc. In fact, my son commented that the room looks like a run-of-the-mill Hyatt Regency, ouch!
  6. The housekeeping team delivered a nice turndown service but they failed to remove the tray of dirty dishes and glasses from our wine and cheese party, they failed to replace the coffee cups that we used to drink the Nespresso, and they failed to replace the spent wine glasses. This is NOT how Park Hyatt housekeeping should be like
  7. And now, the breakfast! To say that it's average would be generous as the Japanese breakfast that we ordered was bad! The fresh squeezed orange juice and the cappuccino were good but they could not make up for the disappointing entrée - I suppose we are so spoiled with the amazing Globalist breakfasts in Paris, Carlsbad, Tokyo, Ho Chi Minh City, etc. Good thing that the breakfast charges of $149 (!!!) were removed from the final bill
  8. Request for the Globalist late check-out was initially rebuffed but after I pressed, they gave me until 2:00PM
  9. No welcome gift (OK, may be the 2 apples were the welcome gift?) and welcome note from the GM or Guest Experience Manager. May be it's no longer policy but I have received these things at every Hyatt (except Place and House) that I have stayed at in the Americas, Europe, and Asia in 2018. So lame for a so-called flagship property!
OK, so the 30,000 points needed for this property is a 'good deal' especially considering that the cost of our room for that evening was $1,025 on the Hyatt website. But I will likely not return as I will spend my points stays at the Andaz Fifth Avenue where I have had far more enjoyable stays in the past.

Last edited by sapguy; Jan 2, 2019 at 9:02 pm
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:40 pm

Sapguy, I wonder if you were the one checking in next to me who didn’t get the upgrade?? j/k

On FlyerTalk we are all entitled to our perspectives of course. That being said, your list of negatives is a bit rich. Warm water in the room? Cool it down with the bucket of ice provided at turndown service. No laundry bag? Maybe it was tucked behind the complimentary PHNY garment bag in the closet. Your son thought it was more of an HR quality property? Well, you need to take him to the HR North Dallas sometime.

I encourage others to give this property a shot. It’s beautiful and provides fantastic value for Globalists.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by sapguy
8. Request for the Globalist late check-out was initially rebuffed but after I pressed, they gave me until 2:00PM
Boggles the mind how they keep getting away with this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
Boggles the mind how they keep getting away with this.
FWIW, I had no issue getting 4pm, for both of my rooms.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by dpb132
As have I on all my stays, but there are so many reports in this thread of 4pm late checkout being denied that it's clearly a problem at this property - and complete disregard for the program rules shouldn't be the case at any corporate-run property, much less a flagship luxury property. It's annoying because I depend on my 4pm checkout when I'm in NYC, so I don't want to run into this situation in the future.
Biggie Fries likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
[*]Request for the Globalist late check-out was initially rebuffed but after I pressed, they gave me until 2:00PM
LOL.

Truly shameless.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:00 pm

People love to moan and groan...warm water, seriously? And your staying there for....... FREE. Yes, it's free. I know you think you "earned" the points...

We've had two great stays there over the past year. Perfect? No. But fabulous for NYC? YES YES YES!
dpb132 likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Sapguy, I wonder if you were the one checking in next to me who didn’t get the upgrade?? j/k

On FlyerTalk we are all entitled to our perspectives of course. That being said, your list of negatives is a bit rich. Warm water in the room? Cool it down with the bucket of ice provided at turndown service. No laundry bag? Maybe it was tucked behind the complimentary PHNY garment bag in the closet. Your son thought it was more of an HR quality property? Well, you need to take him to the HR North Dallas sometime.

I encourage others to give this property a shot. It’s beautiful and provides fantastic value for Globalists.
And I encourage you to try other TRUE Park Hyatt properties to sample the real Park Hyatt experience! No need to even go outside of the US as the Park Hyatt Aviara in Carlsbad would be a good start.

The Park Hyatt NYC is a positively LAME property! If you like it, good, stay there then. I won’t.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:42 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
People love to moan and groan...warm water, seriously? And your staying there for....... FREE. Yes, it's free. I know you think you "earned" the points...

We've had two great stays there over the past year. Perfect? No. But fabulous for NYC? YES YES YES!
It’s NO, NO, NO, NO for me! To each it’s own.

And BTW, NOTHING IS FREE IN THIS WORLD! This stay at the very lame property, flagship luxury my arse, cost me 30,000 points!
Old Jan 2, 2019, 10:50 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
As have I on all my stays, but there are so many reports in this thread of 4pm late checkout being denied that it's clearly a problem at this property - and complete disregard for the program rules shouldn't be the case at any corporate-run property, much less a flagship luxury property. It's annoying because I depend on my 4pm checkout when I'm in NYC, so I don't want to run into this situation in the future.
To call the Park Hyatt NYC a ‘flagship luxury property’ is a JOKE, an affront to the brand.

A more relevant example would be the Park Hyatt Paris Vendome, where I am a regular. And let’s not even discuss Tokyo & Ho Chi Minh City. At these 3 Park Hyatt properties, they either do your check-in IN YOUR ROOM, or walk with you and your key to your room! Now that’s gracious luxury and amazing hospitality and not the fumbling and bumbling at the front desk like in NYC.

And anyone on this board who has had the breakfast at the PH NYC and also the breakfasts at the Park Hyatt in Paris, Tokyo, or Ho Chi Minh City, please do offer your perspective. The breakfast that we had at the PH NYC is a sad joke and a poor reflection on the brand.

The staff at the PH NYC needs to be sent to Paris, Tokyo, or Ho Chi Minh City to be retrained on providing the proper level of service for a Park Hyatt, including making sure that the bottled water is not warm

Last edited by sapguy; Jan 2, 2019 at 11:01 pm
Old Jan 2, 2019, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
There's a Japanese breakfast now?
Yes, we ordered it, and it was truly awful - see my ‘whining’ posts on this matter

As a regular poster on the Hyatt Japanese properties threads, I would be curious of your opinion should you stay at the PH NYC and order the Japanese breakfast. Ahh, the breakfast at those Hyatt properties in Tokyo and Kyoto are something that I look forward to each morning!
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Yes, we ordered it, and it was truly awful - see my ‘whining’ posts on this matter

As a regular poster on the Hyatt Japanese properties threads, I would be curious of your opinion should you stay at the PH NYC and order the Japanese breakfast. Ahh, the breakfast at those Hyatt properties in Tokyo and Kyoto are something that I look forward to each morning!
I would most likely skip it since I can usually get the real thing in Asia-Pacific. American local NY state produce breakfast dishes are another story!

Last edited by Aventine; Jan 3, 2019 at 6:58 am
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:24 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I must admit I haven't booked any award stays since WOH was introduced and I pretty much took my loyalty elsewhere but I just encountered something I don't remember being an issue on past award stays.

The Park Hyatt NYC is requiring a one nights deposit on a credit card for an AWARD reservation! Can this be correct? I know points are deducted when the reservation is made so how can they justify a deposit of one night for an award reservation? Rate for the room is over $1100. I've bolded and underlined the concerning language on the site below.
  • Redeem Points

from
    30,000 Points
Hide Rate Rules
Details
AGENT NOTES:
Deposit Policy
Deposit Required By January 4, 2019. Deposit By Credit Card Required. 1 Night(S) Deposit Will Be Charged To Credit Card.
Cancellation Policy
72hours Prior To Checkin To Avoid One Night Fee
1 King Bed
Unwind in a room that offers 500–625 square feet of space, with luxurious features including a rainfall shower, deep soaking marble bath, and floor-to-ceiling windows.
More Details
Points/Night
SELECT
Old Jan 3, 2019, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by christianj
I must admit I haven't booked any award stays since WOH was introduced and I pretty much took my loyalty elsewhere but I just encountered something I don't remember being an issue on past award stays.

The Park Hyatt NYC is requiring a one nights deposit on a credit card for an AWARD reservation! Can this be correct? I know points are deducted when the reservation is made so how can they justify a deposit of one night for an award reservation? Rate for the room is over $1100.
I see this sometimes on Marriott too - I just disregard it, assuming it to be a mistake. The only thing I pay particular attention to is the cancellation policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.