Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 11, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I'm with Kaycee on this one if we are discussing the Globalist breakfast benefit though I would say perhaps a bit greedy over cheating
After decades with Hyatt I can't think of any Hyatt hotel Park Hyatt or other that has asked me to pay additional for any reasonable breakfast ordered ala carte, buffet or Executive Lounge
It historically breaks Hyatt elite benefit precedent.When the hotel opened it was benefit as expected a complimentary breakfast and the breakfast then was truly fantastic with a heavenly pastry chef and inspired team on board
The only other hotel I've ever see do this in recent years use to be Andaz Maui who since dropped the up charges when they replaced it with a steep resort fee though not uncommon in true resort properties
Anyone else think of another Hyatt that up charges? Just curious now
WIth respect, one problem is when guests with 90's era expectations go in and charge up $100 for a "continental breakfast for one..." with any expectation whatsoever that it will be "covered" under WOH.

What you don't seem to realize is that market conditions have changed dramatically in the last 20 years. Consolidation has occurred. NO major chain offers the benefits that Hyatt now offers. The more money the breakfast benefit costs the properties (especially when it is used flagrantly) the more likely it is that Hyatt will match Marriott/Hilton and downgrade the benefit to match its closest peers. Yes, I know you will argue that "it's all built into the room rate" or "the small footprint requires Hyatt to offer these benefits" but the truth is that Hyatt is adding properties like crazy and will soon cross 1,000 properties which will put them at about the same size SPG was at merger, and remember that SPG got away with only offering a basic continental with up-charges for anything better....
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
How long have you held top tier Hyatt status, and how many stays? Because there are properties, this being one of them, that are well known for cheating on the breakfast benefit.
2.5 years, not that many stays (though, a lot this year)

"Cheating" is quite the accusation. I haven't read anything in this thread which suggests that. Perhaps there are people who order hundreds of dollars worth of food and would prefer that it be covered, but this would be going above and beyond what is required. Failing to provide it may be disappointing, and may cause you to have second thoughts about paying $900/night for a basic room, but it's not "cheating", by any stretch of the imagination.

There may be a difference between what you are entitled to, and what you hope to get. I have never had an issue getting what I was entitled to. Sometimes it's not as much as I hope to get.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 6:42 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
not that many stays
Yes, that shows.

I take it, for example, you've never experienced one of the properties that places a dollar cap that is insufficient to cover the stated breakfast benefit. Hyatt Union Square is a great example of this ($25 cap), and Andaz 5th has gone in and out of that category (they keep changing their rules). Many have experienced this at PHNY (including me) where "overage" is charged despite ordering no more than the rule allows (entree, juice, coffee, tax, gratuity).

You're not the first around here to assume that very limited experience is universal, and to denigrate the reports of those who describe contrary experiences.
Old Dec 11, 2018, 7:41 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
WIth respect, one problem is when guests with 90's era expectations go in and charge up $100 for a "continental breakfast for one..." with any expectation whatsoever that it will be "covered" under WOH.

What you don't seem to realize is that market conditions have changed dramatically in the last 20 years. Consolidation has occurred. NO major chain offers the benefits that Hyatt now offers. The more money the breakfast benefit costs the properties (especially when it is used flagrantly) the more likely it is that Hyatt will match Marriott/Hilton and downgrade the benefit to match its closest peers. Yes, I know you will argue that "it's all built into the room rate" or "the small footprint requires Hyatt to offer these benefits" but the truth is that Hyatt is adding properties like crazy and will soon cross 1,000 properties which will put them at about the same size SPG was at merger, and remember that SPG got away with only offering a basic continental with up-charges for anything better....
Oh boy I love a good debate and so I will chime in and say that no chain has ever offered what Hyatt has in over 30 years even before Hyatt offered breakfast to Diamonds/Globalist
And quite frankly I would say that Hyatt does offer everything and way more than it ever did in the 90s or 20 years later to present date for that matter
Park Hyatt NY being the glaring exception
But as others have said many times including our good friend Gary Leff it takes far more effort to stay loyal to Hyatt and I'll add frequently more revenue per night.

So why is it ok for any one hotel to change that precedent that is consistent system wide all over the word @ Hyatt Hotels? Market Conditions?
And who said anyone here self included is using the breakfast flagrantly? Because a hotel over prices basic costs on its menu twice as much as it may be worth?
I suppose guests could take advantage of Hyatt's superb benefit in hotels that do impose no limits.I don't.In fact I very much value my relationship with Hyatt
The hotels and agents have been fantastic to me even with the bumps in the road that do happen.

A salmon plate with a side of fruit is something reasonable and can be found in almost every Hyatt Club lounge.
Not long ago Hyatt offered up to 4 breakfasts for registered guests
Now they only have to offer two.The breakfast should increase in benefit for 100 night a year customers with the basic tea bottled water etc not decrease
No question breakfast is figured into the cost of the room as is the points earned in the program based on the amount of spending an elite member brings to their bottom line
Elites make up the lions share of Hyatt's most profitable guests.
Ask any CEO what is the most important aspect in a customer relationship and they should likely reply loyalty/retention of customers
Marketing 101 the cost to replace a customer 5x greater than penny pinching on 2 eggs and a muffin

Hyatt isn't generous because it wants to give everything away they are very clear on being focused on being as good or better
and still coming in on point with available budget
Its the occasional Hyatt hotel that strips quality trying to cut costs
The franchise owners may be in danger of losing its brand.While that is unlikely to happen at a corporate owned property
I am privy to a few privately owned Hyatt's where it could possibly happen.

Off topic without naming some other leading competing hotel companies as a consultant I have worked with over the past years
I can say that some of Hyatt's competitors are doing better job than Hyatt especially out of North America with generosity in their breakfast benefit
And yes its 100% unlimited.
Want 6 breakfasts (exaggeration but true) in full service properties lounge and restaurant ? Done its yours.Have it your way
The cost of eggs and toast /pastry at the end of the day are marginal when you have frequent stay high value guests
Some of our more experienced seasoned travelers here may no exactly what brands I am speaking of overseas
Brought this up in a conference call with Hyatt last month but have no affiliation with the company other than being a mostly highly satisfied guest

Should we wish to go way more off topic I am happy to oblige and share the facts with you so you may reconsider with due respect
your current partially incorrect perceptions of today's market conditions in hospitality
There has never been a better time to be an elite member of the major programs if top tier or the benefits richer.Need some examples?

2019 marks the most incredible equal opportunity of our lifetimes as the competition heats up.
Plan to fully leverage my position that in and out of Hyatt as appropriate with Hyatt remaining my long time primary travel partner
for which I hold decades of gratitude
Its been a brilliant and meaningful journey! ^Punctuation police please do not arrest
Cheers
Old Dec 11, 2018, 9:34 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes, that shows.

I take it, for example, you've never experienced one of the properties that places a dollar cap that is insufficient to cover the stated breakfast benefit. Hyatt Union Square is a great example of this ($25 cap), and Andaz 5th has gone in and out of that category (they keep changing their rules). Many have experienced this at PHNY (including me) where "overage" is charged despite ordering no more than the rule allows (entree, juice, coffee, tax, gratuity).

You're not the first around here to assume that very limited experience is universal, and to denigrate the reports of those who describe contrary experiences.
I forgot that this is really a New York City benefit issue with Hyatt thanks for the reminder
Stopped staying at Union Square after the the original restaurant closed (The 4th) it was really exceptional for breakfast lunch or dinner
Was quite wowed.Wonder how it is now?
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:04 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok - I really think weve debated the current breakfast policy enough so please return to reviews and questions on the property itself.

thank you.

peteropny - co-mod - Hyatt
Old Dec 12, 2018, 8:26 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold

What you don't seem to realize is that market conditions have changed dramatically in the last 20 years. Consolidation has occurred. NO major chain offers the benefits that Hyatt now offers. The more money the breakfast benefit costs the properties (especially when it is used flagrantly) the more likely it is that Hyatt will match Marriott/Hilton and downgrade the benefit to match its closest peers. ...
I dont disagree as a general matter, but PHNY arguably makes the least sense to invoke as an example. The standard breakfast at PHNY probably doesnt cost Hyatt one-tenth of what it charges. I get a lot more value out of some Hyatt Place breakfast buffets on ~$75 rates.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 6:56 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
So I had a real fun experience checking into PH NYC today. I go to check in and ask the agent if they have any globalist upgrades for a 1 night stay. She says yes I can upgrade you to a king studio suite. I say oh cool thanks! Im like so that is a junior suite? And she says no its a level below. We only give the junior suites when you use a TSU. So Im like ok but that is against the rules since Globalists are supposed to get the same suite upgrade as using a TSU if available at check in. And she says no thats not true but for $500 extra I can give you the junior suite. I didnt really need a better room and was not in the mood of arguing so I just moved on and kept my mouth shut.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by bknets88
So I had a real fun experience checking into PH NYC today. I go to check in and ask the agent if they have any globalist upgrades for a 1 night stay. She says yes I can upgrade you to a king studio suite. I say oh cool thanks! I’m like so that is a junior suite? And she says no it’s a level below. We only give the junior suites when you use a TSU. So I’m like ok but that is against the rules since Globalist’s are supposed to get the same suite upgrade as using a TSU if available at check in. And she says no that’s not true but for $500 extra I can give you the junior suite. I didn’t really need a better room and was not in the mood of arguing so I just moved on and kept my mouth shut.
Funny thing is, I don't there's much/any difference between "King Suite" and what most would consider a "Junior Suite." The real next step up here are the one bedroom suites, and I, for one, have been upgraded into them as a Globalist - without even asking... so the policy is definitely inconsistent at best.

Be sure to check out the awesome pool and enjoy the breakfast. I've had great experiences with both....
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:03 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG/Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, UA silver, Jetblue Mosaic
Funny thing is, I don't there's much/any difference between "King Suite" and what most would consider a "Junior Suite." The real next step up here are the one bedroom suites, and I, for one, have been upgraded into them as a Globalist - without even asking... so the policy is definitely inconsistent at best.

Be sure to check out the awesome pool and enjoy the breakfast. I've had great experiences with both....
Im pretty sure she was clueless about the room types too because it seems like my room is a junior suite but its amazing how they make rules up.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:18 pm

So I had a real fun experience checking into PH NYC today. I go to check in and ask the agent if they have any globalist upgrades for a 1 night stay. She says yes I can upgrade you to a king studio suite. I say oh cool thanks! Im like so that is a junior suite? And she says no its a level below. We only give the junior suites when you use a TSU. So Im like ok but that is against the rules since Globalists are supposed to get the same suite upgrade as using a TSU if available at check in. And she says no thats not true but for $500 extra I can give you the junior suite. I didnt really need a better room and was not in the mood of arguing so I just moved on and kept my mouth shut.
I had a much better experience with upgrading
I don't think being a Lifetime Glob had anything to do with it.I'm certainly not feeling confident though after your post
Old Dec 16, 2018, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
I had the same experience at check in. Agent wanted TSU for Junior suite. King Studio Suite was sold out and she was refusing globalist upgrade to junior suite without TSU or cash.

Pretty much every room category was available except for the one category that theyve carved out for Globalist upgrades.

I complained to my concierge but she has been quite useless, and said I would need to check with the front desk of the hotel.

All in all, this hotel just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. A couple of the women working at the front desk are real pieces of work, and should be reassigned to selling timeshares.
Old Dec 16, 2018, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Im pretty sure she was clueless about the room types too because it seems like my room is a junior suite but its amazing how they make rules up.
I don't think she knows what a true suite entails.
Old Dec 17, 2018, 1:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
All in all, this hotel just leaves a bad taste in my mouth. A couple of the women working at the front desk are real pieces of work, and should be reassigned to selling timeshares.
Imagine if PHNY wasnt Hyatts flagship property. Haha.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Based on the web site a king bed suite is an 825 sq ft standard junior suite.

A king bed studio suite is 700 sq ft premiumsuite costing $50 more on Jan 2. It looks like a junior suite in the picture.

From the description, harder to see why a 700sq ft junior suite is more expensive than the 825 sq ft.

But I assume the issue is who is designating things as standard suites; once labeled premium, I would expect no Globalist upgrade to that suite by a front line reception desk employee.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.