Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Dec 9, 2018, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
After years of avoiding this hotel since its Grand Opening where I experienced one of the most disappointing Hyatt stays of my lifetime in any brand luxury property I returned back in late November some weeks ago
In the hopes to see if I could make it my go to hotel when in New York City as i had hoped to do after the original opening
At that time they had no interest in Globalists today things are indeed looking up from my recent experience^
After a great stay at Park Hyatt Chicago recently where I had an excellent complimentary Globalist breakfast and upgraded accommodations I was inspired to return

Unlike my first deeply flawed stay@ PH NYC I am pleased to say I had a great stay
Management has vastly improved and been replaced by a new GM which the hotel so desperately needed from the start
Its obvious the new GM understands the luxury expectation and it showed in every detail for the most part with everything other than F&B
Was upgraded to a lovely suite without so much as requesting an upgrade in the comments section of my booking
They did it proactively on their own. Perhaps I got lucky but the experience was 100% better from my first stay Being this was a one night stay perhaps I wouldnt have fared as well if it was multiple nights tough to say

Received a beautiful handwritten note elegantly presented, a welcome amenity of two large Voss waters sparkling & still, a fruit plate )though the fruit was apples and overripe grapes)
Sorry to sound ungrateful but that's always an early sign of potential weakness in the kitchen (lack of attention to detail and not turning over produce)
My request for a newspaper was acted on unlike past requests which were ignored The front desk was welcoming as was most of the door staff & quite helpful

Now for the bad news the breakfast is simply average and very mediocre but only because of its 5 star pricing plus when the expectations soar for great execution and product delivery

Breakfast Service
I was greeted by an uninspired team member host who sat me down at a high table that was awkward and uncomfortable to sit at.
Requested to be moved and was sat at a more appropriate table wedged between two tables both having loud business conversations with the manager fawning over one of those tables in particular
If you have great service which they clearly don't all you need is a competent server at your table.
I felt like the team was operational professional enough but uninspired
Not thoughtful in any way and unable to make even basic conversation with guests other than taking an order
My apologies but Continental breakfasts costing 100 dollars and up per person without pastry muffins etc should be exceptional in all regards
Ive had better at the Grand Hyatt DFW or Hyatt Regency Orange County where my breakfast and service was vastly superior and complexity complimentary for a Globalist as it should be
If I have to pay the difference which I am willing to do which pays for the entire breakfast cost I expect the best of what Hyatt can do

My continental breakfast was just under 100 dollars and sadly I tipped on top of that as I didnt check the bill and added another 20% not realizing they add an automatic gratuity
Wouldn't it be nice to be informed when receiving the check or at time of seating ? (Sigh) Yes I know too much to ask a 5 Star Hotel.One small orange Juice was 11 dollars
I thought of the carrot juice for 12 or 13 dollars a glass but took the discount OJ
It was satisfactory but not as good as Whole Foods or Zabars the Ritz Carlton or the Mandarin Oriental. Acceptable I guess but a fail as I wouldnt order again
Fruit Plate was 18 dollars Ive had far better from my local supermarkets Nothing wrong with the presentation but over ripe blueberries and spoiled pineapple and out of season honeydew,watermelon and cantaloupe
Having come form the Mandarin Oriental just a week prior where I was mesmerized by my breakfast it was a sad showing and the Mandarin was less in cost and generous with portions and outstanding friendly heartfelt service
All of which the Park Hyatt NYC breakfast lounge gets a resounding Zero

My 34 dollar smoked salmon plate which had a meager portion size for the price (it did come with some avocado at that price) or its only 28 if you get it without a slice of avocado
My hot tea with one tea bag for ten dollars didn't even come with a sliver of lemon Maybe if you spend 200 a person they will proactively bring lemon?
Server was nowhere to be found as they were understaffed and I would have had to stood to get a slice of lemon so I sucked it up and did without
The salmon was inferior to the Grand Hyatt New York who to their credit has excellent smoked salmon and Ill add properly trimmed without black or brown spots
The Park Hyatt NYC had poorly trimmed salmon with black and brown spot.
Ice cold scraps of onion & tomato which shouldnt even be refrigerated if you are a real first class chef
The preserves Stauds of Austria like they use in Grand Hyatt Berlin was the cheaper variety (less fruit) and they stopped the lovely variety they had when the Back Room first opened

When the hotel opened the one thing they nailed down right was the Back Room for breakfast it was outstanding as was the hospitable professional service
with some of Hyatts finest service professionals some from other Hyatt luxury properties
Today the amateur team and its F&B team have a long way to measure up to Hyatts 3 or 4 Star standards let alone 5 star I received an apology from the new GM by email
which I thought was a very nice gesture and when I asked to detail the experience further in the hopes of seeing a future improvement there was no response
My take is he wants nothing to do with the failure of the past or with the present restaurant and to his credit otherwise he is running the hotel very well in my perception
I'm going to assume Hyatt has allowed all of this to happen.Just look at Andaz Wall Street and Andaz 5th Avenue all of their restaurants have closed and reopened as something meager by comparison
Unfortunately I wont likely becoming back as with the massive amount of choices in NYC even the lesser hotels know how to make a solid first class breakfast

Final Assessment if you want a room your in great shape based on occupancy and elite status.
If you want a good true premium first class breakfast and not be price gouged with satisfactory to below quality standards look elsewhere.
The Park Hyatt New York has an inadequate space to serve breakfast with average or below average service and lacking high dining quality based on current execution & pricing
Hotel 4 stars plus breakfast 1 to 2 stars.Which was the exact reverse when the hotel first opened.
Sorry breakfast is still as bad as ever here.
Hyatt Herald Square does a wonderful breakfast. Plentiful, decent to good service and no overages. Sad that a new GM wants nothing to do with a glaring weakness in his property.
Old Dec 9, 2018, 11:25 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by Aventine
Sorry breakfast is still as bad as ever here.
Hyatt Herald Square does a wonderful breakfast. Plentiful, decent to good service and no overages. Sad that a new GM wants nothing to do with a glaring weakness in his property.
Do believe a GM should listen even if they don't react or do anything about it
I believe Hyatt has allowed for the serious downgrades to both Andaz properties,Grand Hyatt NY Club overcrowding under staffing removal of all bottled water from clubs etc
They have this mentality do whatever we wish that makes economic sense and they will likely come anyway.The destination fee is living proof of it

I was at Herald Square once and thought the breakfast was surprisingly good for such a small hotel.They did seem to care and while I wouldn't say 5 star by any stretch however they exceeded my expectation based on a small reasonably priced property
The rooms are quite tight to be polite but I booked a suite and it was lovely.I think it was the only one they had and I was told they won't upgrade Globalists due to limited inventory so I didn't go back

Though the Grand Hyatt New York was an absolute zoo(organized chaos) I had a reasonably good breakfast in the club (when you could get a seat )and the restaurant
They generously upgraded me into a great suite on the second day of my stay
I'm at the point where I am no longer thinking Hyatt in New York as much except on occasion and when cost effective but certainly most everywhere else outside of NYC def Hyatt
I doubt I will do 90 nights again next year as there are to many problems with quality control in NYC and with 75% bonus with the new Marriott Program VS 30% globalist
Hyatt is really going to have to improve breakfast and or reward more accordingly
Its finally dawned on me its not how many free nights you earn but the quality of the experience.Not sure why NYC where the greatest food on earth exists Hyatt is taking such chances
Think of it like this the former Park Hyatt NYC which is now a Hilton UN Plaza I paid 150 dollars to 200 dollars a night this year and the breakfast in the restaurant
was vastly superior to the Park Hyatt NYC and complimentary as a Diamond
Impressive.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Do believe a GM should listen even if they don't react or do anything about it
I believe Hyatt has allowed for the serious downgrades to both Andaz properties,Grand Hyatt NY Club overcrowding under staffing removal of all bottled water from clubs etc
They have this mentality do whatever we wish that makes economic sense and they will likely come anyway.The destination fee is living proof of it

I was at Herald Square once and thought the breakfast was surprisingly good for such a small hotel.They did seem to care and while I wouldn't say 5 star by any stretch however they exceeded my expectation based on a small reasonably priced property
The rooms are quite tight to be polite but I booked a suite and it was lovely.I think it was the only one they had and I was told they won't upgrade Globalists due to limited inventory so I didn't go back

Though the Grand Hyatt New York was an absolute zoo(organized chaos) I had a reasonably good breakfast in the club (when you could get a seat )and the restaurant
They generously upgraded me into a great suite on the second day of my stay
I'm at the point where I am no longer thinking Hyatt in New York as much except on occasion and when cost effective but certainly most everywhere else outside of NYC def Hyatt
I doubt I will do 90 nights again next year as there are to many problems with quality control in NYC and with 75% bonus with the new Marriott Program VS 30% globalist
Hyatt is really going to have to improve breakfast and or reward more accordingly
Its finally dawned on me its not how many free nights you earn but the quality of the experience.Not sure why NYC where the greatest food on earth exists Hyatt is taking such chances
Think of it like this the former Park Hyatt NYC which is now a Hilton UN Plaza I paid 150 dollars to 200 dollars a night this year and the breakfast in the restaurant
was vastly superior to the Park Hyatt NYC and complimentary as a Diamond
Impressive.
I've had the same non-reaction from a fellow flagship PH GM in APAC. Their PHs will continue to make money but, just, not from me ever again.

Herald Square is just basically just a room in Koreatown. No one will be putting it in the Luxury Forum but it's feasible for 1 night. The breakfast was a nice, pleasant surprise.

I've swung towards former SPG in the StR and Chatwal and hoping Marriott doesn't screw them up too badly. They were great earlier this Fall. Everything the NYC Hyatts aren't.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 2:05 am

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
I had a disastrous experience a couple months ago — the worst hotel stay in recent memory — that finally got escalated to the GM. In the end, he was very apologetic and did his best to make it right to me but I was very clear with him that I didn't want to be bought off with points or special treatment — he asked that I book my stays through him moving forward — if it didn't mean that they would improve treatment for ALL clientele.

PHNY is by no means a cheap hotel. It's absolutely tacky that they refuse upgrade Globalists and try to push $100 upgrades at check-in instead. And it's tacky that they "accidentally" leave random charges on your bill at check out.

While I like Hyatt in general, they really need to up their New York hotel game. The only Hyatt I enjoy staying at is the Andaz 5th (if in a library-facing room), but its public spaces are severely lacking. PHNY has good bones and potential, but the views (with a few exception) are rather depressing and the service more 4* than the price suggests.

With the NY Edition (and soon to open Times Square Edition), I think I'll be doing many more NYC nights with Marriott.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:13 am

Programs: SEN LH Hyatt Globalist AA EXP
Wow, those are disastrous experiences! I went there a dozen times over the years, as I like the location, the pool and the rooms, but I concur that breakfast is horrible: random service, outrageous prices, limit to Globalist credit. I actually often go for breakfast at Petrossian around the corner on 7th ave.
I will be at PHNY again this Friday, let's see how it goes.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 8:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Aventine
I've swung towards former SPG in the StR and Chatwal and hoping Marriott doesn't screw them up too badly. They were great earlier this Fall. Everything the NYC Hyatts aren't.
I've gone independent in NYC and just book through FHR. Though I do have St. Regis booked for 60k Marriott in February
Old Dec 10, 2018, 3:43 pm

Such strange reports as for me (twice in the past year) it's always been a wonderful experience, including the breakfast. I've had delicious meals and as a Globalist never been charged an overage despite going over. Nice upgrades without asking, wonderful hard product, and exceptionally clean. Service has been a bit "hit and miss," however.

That said, it's clear this property has issues and I think they are very likely economic at the core. They clearly can't make a normal restaurant work (because it's closed), and the constant upselling reported by others to me indicates the property isn't meeting its financial targets. My theory (and it's just a theory) is that the building itself (Hyatt Corporate owns this property) was VERY VERY expensive to build and revenues just aren't justifying the capital expense that went into this place....
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by lighthouse206
My theory (and it's just a theory) is that the building itself (Hyatt Corporate owns this property) was VERY VERY expensive to build and revenues just aren't justifying the capital expense that went into this place....
That's the developer's issue, not Hyatt's. But I think it's a pretty safe bet Hyatt is overpaying. It's a prime address, but the lower floors with minimal views are sub-optimal for a high-end hotel.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
There's not really need to speculate on whether the problem is economic. No luxury property with an already-low staff-to-guestroom ratio continues to cut staff unless there are serious financial concerns.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by UAflyer93
I had a disastrous experience a couple months ago — the worst hotel stay in recent memory — that finally got escalated to the GM. In the end, he was very apologetic and did his best to make it right to me but I was very clear with him that I didn't want to be bought off with points or special treatment — he asked that I book my stays through him moving forward — if it didn't mean that they would improve treatment for ALL clientele.

PHNY is by no means a cheap hotel. It's absolutely tacky that they refuse upgrade Globalists and try to push $100 upgrades at check-in instead. And it's tacky that they "accidentally" leave random charges on your bill at check out.

While I like Hyatt in general, they really need to up their New York hotel game. The only Hyatt I enjoy staying at is the Andaz 5th (if in a library-facing room), but its public spaces are severely lacking. PHNY has good bones and potential, but the views (with a few exception) are rather depressing and the service more 4* than the price suggests.

With the NY Edition (and soon to open Times Square Edition), I think I'll be doing many more NYC nights with Marriott.
Thank You so much for your helpful post.I'd be curious how long ago your failed stay took place?
I thankfully didn't experience the hard up sell at check in.
Though I previously received their insulting emails years ago saying they would upgrade me as a Diamond/ Globalist if I was willing to pay for an upgrade
After spending over half a million dollars with Hyatt before and after Gold Passports doors were opened when do you actually become eligible at all properties for an upgrade and no longer pay for your continental breakfast??
Even when a full breakfast is promised in the terms and conditions?Only when you get clipped by our 5 Star Property?

I too feel insulted when they tell me to book a reservation through a GMs office to insure a reasonably good stay.What are they saying>
We know we are bad at what we do so we will make sure you can receive a good stay if we actually know in advance not to mess up as we normally do?
What don't they get being a luxury hotel that caters to all elites and guests to a fair degree
Do they really need to be tipped off so one doesn't have a bad stay?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 6:57 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
That's the developer's issue, not Hyatt's. But I think it's a pretty safe bet Hyatt is overpaying. It's a prime address, but the lower floors with minimal views are sub-optimal for a high-end hotel.
According to the financials, Hyatt actually owns this property (as opposed to simply managing it). Doesnt that make them the developer?
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:03 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
I agree that the property should improve its breakfast (it's crazy there are 0 plans to open up an actual restaurant and the seating arrangements are terrible), but I thought the credit was reasonable and it was a nice touch that you are allowed to use it towards room service. I had a family of 4 and we went over $10-15/day, ordering a mix of the set breakfasts (57th St and Continental) and entrees. Our two children had the kids meals each morning. But overall, the breakfast prices are pretty comparable to other luxury hotels and I'm sure you would receive a similar bill with that order at the Ritz or Chatwal or St. Regis (I remember OJ being $15 on my last visit).

The 57th St breakfast was $42 and the continental breakfast was $38, both of which are under the per person globalist credit and include coffee and juice. Ordering a la carte at any luxury hotel with a breakfast credit and no buffet is tough, especially if you want juice and coffee. The prices are on the menu and available online and the globalist credits have been discussed regularly, so I'm not sure it's reasonable to go in expecting to be able to spend $100/person to create your own continental breakfast and have it fully comp'd. I appreciated it when they took my overages off the final bill, but I went in fully expecting to have to pay them.
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:20 pm

Originally Posted by lighthouse206
Such strange reports as for me (twice in the past year) it's always been a wonderful experience, including the breakfast. I've had delicious meals and as a Globalist never been charged an overage despite going over. Nice upgrades without asking, wonderful hard product, and exceptionally clean. Service has been a bit "hit and miss," however.

That said, it's clear this property has issues and I think they are very likely economic at the core. They clearly can't make a normal restaurant work (because it's closed), and the constant upselling reported by others to me indicates the property isn't meeting its financial targets. My theory (and it's just a theory) is that the building itself (Hyatt Corporate owns this property) was VERY VERY expensive to build and revenues just aren't justifying the capital expense that went into this place....
I want to be clear I had a great stay despite the restaurant which really isn't a restaurant but a living room lounge
It was primarily set up for drinking and snacks sandwiches.Never meant for a formal breakfast or dinner.There are blind spots if one is seated facing a wall and diners are kind of cramped
They have had two failed restaurants now since opening in the original dining room previously called the Back Room I wish they would just take it back and try again with the same original commitment
Now not only where you sit will make a difference in experience but also as to who your server is.
I don't doubt that some may be satisfied based on what they order
On a global and domestic 5 star standard it simply misses the mark depending on what one orders and at a crazy high price point which should insure most everything is exceptional to a fair degree
I only have two breakfast meals there in 12 months which doesn't give the most plentiful data points on earth but still.........
The most recent was all cold food toast and fruit.How do you mess that up? Maybe if I had an omelette I would be golden?
The prior visit we had a lobster omelette which was was better but the experience too had problems.The breakfast bill was 260 dollars making it the most expensive breakfast of a lifetime
The server disappeared and went on their break and never returned.
When your order and pay for a ten or twelve dollar bottle of water and isn't poured and the server disappears what do you do pour it yourself ask for a refund on the way out? That's the short story .

I'm really not trying to beat up the hotel Ive grown to like it even with weak views but really do they keep apologizing for years or do they fix it?
I see nothing but cost cutting below average F&B lower management (perhaps its not even their fault) and no polished only adequate team members when on point
Experiences at the Ritz Mandarin Waldorf and a host of lesser caliber properties perform better
My breakfast at the Park Hyatt New York when it first opened was sensational it is now a shadow of its former glory
Even the baking is sub par witnessed last year by what the opening standards of the property was when it first opened.
All their A listers are gone Lucas Park Hyatt Sydney Stamos from Andaz 5th Avenue
Which asks the bigger question why did Hyatt give up to a fair degree with outstanding team members who were exceptional at their jobs and building guest relationships and a dedicated world class kitchen
We have seen a pattern in NYC from Andaz Wall Street the closing of the Shop Andaz 5th Avenue and now the Park Hyatt NYC

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Dec 10, 2018 at 7:30 pm
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Globalist
My continental breakfast was just under 100 dollars
As noted by others above, the continental breakfast is $38.

https://www.hyatt.com/content/dam/ho...akfastMenu.pdf
Old Dec 10, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
There's not really need to speculate on whether the problem is economic. No luxury property with an already-low staff-to-guestroom ratio continues to cut staff unless there are serious financial concerns.
I thought the team was reasonably strong and performed well I really want to go back
I saw the most concerns in the restaurant
Having said that I've seen a disturbing trend in a variety of Hyatt's NYC properties with offerings & cuts and declining room service menus
Sign of the times?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.