Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23, 2018, 2:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by gengar
By "approved" I meant the same thing as "works". Just to be clear for OP's question, are you reporting you have had success doing this at this property?
Not specifically at PH NY, but certainly at others. I believe it’s a common technique for Andaz Maui, for example. I can’t imagine why it would be different here given that you’re dealing with Hyatt central reservations.
Old Feb 28, 2018, 6:59 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Random but does anyone notice their soap being different? It is still Le Labo Tuberuse 40 but the soap itself is a different quality (lighter in color as well) and I swear the smell is different than the usual Tuberuse 40 scent found in the bodywash and old soaps. Am I going crazy? This was my most favorite soap and spending a few nights at this hotel every year I always looked forward to the scent of these products.

Also looks like they got rid of one of the benches in the steam room at the pool which is a bummer and odd.

Poster above noted he was not given a check to sign w/room service - I'm also a glob and was definitely given a room service check and charged the overage ($24 in my case)
Old Feb 28, 2018, 8:13 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by callmedtop

Not specifically at PH NY, but certainly at others. I believe it’s a common technique for Andaz Maui, for example. I can’t imagine why it would be different here given that you’re dealing with Hyatt central reservations.
have no idea whether it will work, but I believe in one case , it’s only award stays and the other is all stays (except suites). So a minimum stay requirement on revenue and awards might make it a different case.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by maewest
Random but does anyone notice their soap being different? It is still Le Labo Tuberuse 40 but the soap itself is a different quality (lighter in color as well) and I swear the smell is different than the usual Tuberuse 40 scent found in the bodywash and old soaps. Am I going crazy? This was my most favorite soap and spending a few nights at this hotel every year I always looked forward to the scent of these products.

Also looks like they got rid of one of the benches in the steam room at the pool which is a bummer and odd.

Poster above noted he was not given a check to sign w/room service - I'm also a glob and was definitely given a room service check and charged the overage ($24 in my case)
We had a recent one night stay. Soap was Tubereuse 40 but there was also at least one Bergamote 22 - both were branded for PHNY on the back.

The stay was booked with a Globalist certificate otherwise expiring at the end of February and we were upgraded to a suite, without asking.

We stayed there with two children so the breakfast benefit was explained as being $41 for each adult and $25 for each child. I didn't intend in any way to test what overage might be covered and just ordered what I wanted for breakfast in the room. The overage was minimal (before service fee/taxes) and were charged that plus what I believe was the tax and service charge - fine by me for such a great breakfast.

I don't recall there being any check to sign for breakfast.

A word of caution if one is planning to use the valet service - we checked in early and picked up the car the following afternoon. The original bill showed nothing but a subsequent one had a charge for a second day of parking since the car was there over 24 hours. I probably should have thought about this in advance and confirmed the terms but since nothing was mentioned on arrival, I just figured it would be covered. It looks like that additional charge has subsequently been waived, but if you are planning on using the valet on an award night stay, please be mindful of the time your car may be there.

Interestingly, the Hyatt app showed a nightly rate of approximately $550, which seems high if that is the rate reimbursable to the property.

Last edited by speedytimmy; Mar 3, 2018 at 7:34 am
Old Mar 3, 2018, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by maewest

Like the other poster said, they are transitioning back and forth between Tubereuse and Bergamote. I've got both from 2 different stays this year. Are you sure you didn't get the Bergamote, because the Tubereuse smells the same as it always did IMO.
Old Mar 3, 2018, 7:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by speedytimmy
Interestingly, the Hyatt app showed a nightly rate of approximately $550, which seems high if that is the rate reimbursable to the property.
I believe Hyatt and "the property" are one and the same in this case.
Old Mar 9, 2018, 12:53 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond/ Hyatt top tier(lifetime)
Tubereuse is suppose to be in suites - bergamote should be standard.

Originally Posted by jdbcc
Like the other poster said, they are transitioning back and forth between Tubereuse and Bergamote. I've got both from 2 different stays this year. Are you sure you didn't get the Bergamote, because the Tubereuse smells the same as it always did IMO.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:11 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
This "flagship" property can pick up a valuable lesson from a Hyatt Place in Texas.

HP The Woodlands provides a nice amenity basket, along with a handwritten note: "Thank you for your loyalty to Hyatt. This is for you from your Hyatt Family. Warmest regards."

PHNY provides an unlabeled bowl with two strange fruits, NO cutlery of any kind, but they inform you at checkin that "tea, water and coffee are free. Everything else in the room is chargeable".

So, while the gesture (of providing two luxurious what-zits) might be nice, the execution can be improved. I didn't partake of the what-zits because:
  1. I had no idea what they were
  2. There was no indication that it was a gift
  3. I was sure that it was neither coffee nor tea nor water
  4. I was already warned that anything else (besides coffee or tea or water) would be charged
So, carry on all you like about how great this hotel is, etc. The truth is that they are extremely UN-friendly and snooty. I've stayed in 148 different Hyatt properties. This one is the snootiest of all. The usefulness of this hotel resides strictly in the fact that you can brag about how much expense account money you wasted by staying here (assuming we can accept the hypothesis that you're somehow a better person because you overpay for accommodation.)

Park Hyatt New York is a status symbol, period.
Old Mar 11, 2018, 9:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
I am not quite sure I follow. Is the complaint that the HP The Woodlands went above and beyond by providing a Diamond amenity of yore? And that the PH provided a fruit amenity but you weren’t able to tell what it was and were afraid you might get charged?

If you have a relationship with the hotel, they will provide a handwritten note from the GM and lovely amenity, including a full bottle of quality wine. Based on some of your other experiences maybe this hotel is just not a good fit for you. We have never had any real issues over many stays, though the front desk has not always been an area of excellence and the doorman situation is problematic. And it must be embarassing that they can’t keep their restaurant open. It’s not the PHT, but it’s often reasonably priced compared to other luxury hotels in NYC.

The hotel has the nicest Hyatt hard product in NYC by far. We like it for that reason alone.

There are good Hyatt alternatives at lower price points. You might want try some of the other hotels. We have done that a few times and were pleasantly surprised.

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
This "flagship" property can pick up a valuable lesson from a Hyatt Place in Texas.

HP The Woodlands provides a nice amenity basket, along with a handwritten note: "Thank you for your loyalty to Hyatt. This is for you from your Hyatt Family. Warmest regards."

PHNY provides an unlabeled bowl with two strange fruits, NO cutlery of any kind, but they inform you at checkin that "tea, water and coffee are free. Everything else in the room is chargeable".

So, while the gesture (of providing two luxurious what-zits) might be nice, the execution can be improved. I didn't partake of the what-zits because:
  4. I was already warned that anything else (besides coffee or tea or water) would be charged
So, carry on all you like about how great this hotel is, etc. The truth is that they are extremely UN-friendly and snooty. I've stayed in 148 different Hyatt properties. This one is the snootiest of all. The usefulness of this hotel resides strictly in the fact that you can brag about how much expense account money you wasted by staying here (assuming we can accept the hypothesis that you're somehow a better person because you overpay for accommodation.)

Old Mar 11, 2018, 11:08 pm

So, carry on all you like about how great this hotel is, etc. The truth is that they are extremely UN-friendly and snooty.
It might be your "truth", but it is not my experience. Far from the best in the network, but not unfriendly and snooty.

Last edited by stargold; Mar 11, 2018 at 11:41 pm
Old Mar 12, 2018, 12:38 pm

You mentioned in your original review that staff members are friendly, but now you say they're un-friendly and snooty. Which is it?

I'm also curious, since you've brought up the "what-the-hell-is-that / what-zits" fruits twice: have you really been to 148 different Hyatts (and xxx other hotels) and really never encountered a fruit that they didn't sell at your grocery store? Children would've guessed they were light brown apples, and they wouldn't be that far off. Your shock and awe from the appearance of alien fruits / light brown apples at a status symbol hotel is... interesting.

Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:51 pm

Are there any breakfast options close to the hotel? I have a 6 night stay coming up and don't have top tier status so no free breakfast. I am traveling with my wife and two small kids. We might pay for room service breakfast for one morning but based on the comments on this thread doesn't seem worth it to pay those prices for all 6 days. I haven't been to New York for many years so don't know what the local neighborhood is like.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 8:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by greg999
Are there any breakfast options close to the hotel? I have a 6 night stay coming up and don't have top tier status so no free breakfast. I am traveling with my wife and two small kids. We might pay for room service breakfast for one morning but based on the comments on this thread doesn't seem worth it to pay those prices for all 6 days. I haven't been to New York for many years so don't know what the local neighborhood is like.
Starbucks across the street. Look on Yelp.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: Alaska, American, Marriott
If you haven't been in a while, the neighborhood might surprise you. Midtown used to be kind of a food wasteland, but now there are plenty of options within a short walk.

We usually go to Norma's for brunch on the weekend when we're in town (we were just there this past weekend--make a reservation if you decide to go). Norma's is right down the street inside the Parker (cross the street, turn left, and go a half block). Portions are large enough that we order 2 items for my wife, 9 y.o. daughter, and myself, and it's plenty. Other options in the neighborhood that we like are Petrossian (the bakery, not the caviar place), which is on 7th avenue, between 57th and 58th, so 1.5 blocks from the Park Hyatt. Maison Kayser is a little farther (2.5 blocks), just off Columbus Circle. You can get things to go, or sit down for breakfast. BTW, none of these places are super-cheap, but it's NYC, and that shouldn't surprise you.

There's an underground market/food court at Columbus Circle, or you can go to the Columbus Circle mall that's above ground. Both of these have a batch of options. You can pop into the Whole Foods and buy whatever you like from there, and take it to Central Park to eat... There are also a couple of bakery/coffee type places just down the block on 57th.

For non-breakfast (not that you asked), but the Brooklyn Diner is on 57th (2 blocks west) and is a family-friendly option. We went to Pizzarte the other night (55th between 5th and 6th), and it was good, but is more of a sit-down place. If you want slices to-go that aren't Ray's Famous or Ray's Original, you can go to MyPie on Lexington between 56th and 57th, which is a bit farther east. Buttercup Bakery is on 7th between 54th and 55th. We like the cake slices better than the cupcakes, but all the things we tried there were good. Go to Grom for gelato, it's next to Maison Kayser.

Hope this helps--enjoy the trip, whatever you decide!

Originally Posted by greg999
Old Apr 4, 2018, 10:15 pm

Not worth it to pay for breakfast there. I was there last month and while I had the glob breakfast, it's not worth paying for. I thought the breakfast was pretty bad actually. I couldn't even get a juice refill without paying. Service was also horrible, no silverware, water.

About a block or two away is a food court located inside The Plaza hotel if you want something quick/nearby in the lower level. You can get breakfast there. There's a Lady M with some good crepes, but they are not breakfast crepes more like dessert. There's also a Paris Baguette about 2 blocks away that has delicious pastries. If you're looking for a sit down breakfast, everything around the area will be expensive. I would grab something small from Paris Baguette and get lunch somewhere a little further away to a more authentic NYC experience. There's also a really cute pastry shop about a 10 minute walk called Bibble and Sip. If you go to Bibble and Sip, get their cream puffs. There's also a bunch of Pret a Manger, Au Bon Pain, but I recommend checking out Paris Baguette/Bibble and Sip.

Dainobu is a Japanese supermarket nearby that has packaged foods. It'll be Asian breakfast type stuff though. If you want to walk, Urbanspace At 570 Lex just opened a few weeks ago. I like this food court better than the other ones nearby like Gotham West Market, the other Urbanspace, City Kitchen and Great Northern Food Hall.

I work nearby and I don't eat in the area for breakfast. Lunch is okay. Dinner is okay/expensive. Everything is geared mainly towards tourists unless you hit up one of the delis. The delis are nothing special so I'd try to go for something you can't get where you're from.

If you could swing it, I would try to have breakfast at Russ and Daughters or Clinton Street Bakery. If you want some good food options, check out some of the restaurants in LES, Soho, Village, Ktown.

Some good eats nearby if you want to stay local - Quality Meats, Quality Italian, Fuku+ for their chicken sandwich (David Chang),Totto Ramen, Yakitori Totto.

Enjoy!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.