Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hide Wikipost
Old Dec 30, 19, 10:51 am   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: RedSun
Wiki Link
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 29, 22, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by jbandy10 View Post
The problem is that those suites at PH are rarely all booked up. Every time I've been, there has been suite inventory. So no, plenty of people are not paying full price for a suite there. Some are, but clearly not all.
The hotel just wants to abide by a different philosophy and they are weakening the program as a result. Fine for them. Sucks for hyatt elites though.
Maybe, maybe not. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me, but whereas PHNY was easily bookable at $550/night pre-Covid or by using a Cat 1-7 or 30,000 points, it now seems like $800/night is the bare minimum, even during summer months, and that's without the old points and certs horde filling rooms. Since PHNY caters to an elitist crowd, it's possible the unwashed masses were hurting business there. (And I'm not a PHNY apologist; I've bashed it plenty here for a variety of reasons.)
Old Aug 29, 22, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
The problem is that those suites at PH are rarely all booked up. Every time I've been, there has been suite inventory. So no, plenty of people are not paying full price for a suite there. Some are, but clearly not all.
The hotel just wants to abide by a different philosophy and they are weakening the program as a result. Fine for them. Sucks for hyatt elites though.
Even if only a few people paying for the suite, allowing upgrades could deter those few people from paying for a suite in the future.

It's a problem airlines in the US have. First class upgrades are now usually filled by elites. While there's minimal monetary cost to the airlines, it deters the most frequent travelers from paying for those seats vs waiting for the upgrade. That in turns leads to more cost cutting and downward spiral.

I'm certainly not saying that I like this as someone who would rather get upgraded to a suite at PHNY than paying for a suite, but I can understand why they are holding back on suites even if there's plenty of availability.
Old Aug 29, 22, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by SP03 View Post
Even if only a few people paying for the suite, allowing upgrades could deter those few people from paying for a suite in the future.

It's a problem airlines in the US have. First class upgrades are now usually filled by elites. While there's minimal monetary cost to the airlines, it deters the most frequent travelers from paying for those seats vs waiting for the upgrade. That in turns leads to more cost cutting and downward spiral.

I'm certainly not saying that I like this as someone who would rather get upgraded to a suite at PHNY than paying for a suite, but I can understand why they are holding back on suites even if there's plenty of availability.
This is a valid argument and I agree with the logic here. I guess my own view of it is: if it's 4:00 PM and there are 5 suites available, maybe giving 2 or 3 to a globe isn't going to hurt anything. Ask Hyatt's CEO what he thinks and I bet I know what his answer will be. Take care of the elites.

I like this hotel and if you don't care about upgrades, it's a solid 8/10 value for me.
Old Aug 29, 22, 3:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
This is a valid argument and I agree with the logic here. I guess my own view of it is: if it's 4:00 PM and there are 5 suites available, maybe giving 2 or 3 to a globe isn't going to hurt anything. Ask Hyatt's CEO what he thinks and I bet I know what his answer will be. Take care of the elites.
PHNY is owned by Hyatt and is the company's flagship property. The CEO knows exactly what's going on there. The "elites" are the people paying $1,200+ for the suites.
Old Aug 29, 22, 3:40 pm

Actually I think a clear policy is more helpful and fairer than to randomly and unpredictably upgrade some but not others. That will create more stress for both elites and front desk/management.

The last thing they would want is for a guest to read on a forum that someone got upgraded to a suite and to demand a suite upgrade that is available for sale on the app at check in. Just look at the Marriott forum... I think Hyatt has been very good about upgrades in general, but they are clearly treating PHNY as a different category of luxury hotel.
Old Aug 29, 22, 3:42 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Actually I think a clear policy is more helpful and fairer than to randomly and unpredictably upgrade some but not others. That will create more stress for both elites and front desk/management.

The last thing they would want is for a guest to read on a forum that someone got upgraded to a suite and to demand a suite upgrade that is available for sale on the app at check in. Just look at the Marriott forum... I think Hyatt has been very good about upgrades in general, but they are clearly treating PHNY as a different category of luxury hotel.
Not giving out upgrades at all to avoid hurting people's feelings is not the direction we should be going (and definitely isn't the main reason). It sounds like the last thing they actually want is to be generous to those who maintain loyalty to their company.
Old Aug 29, 22, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast View Post
Not giving out upgrades at all to avoid hurting people's feelings is not the direction we should be going (and definitely isn't the main reason). It sounds like the last thing they actually want is to be generous to those who maintain loyalty to their company.
This thread skews heavily toward people staying on points or, before the change, free-night certs. I'm guessing people who are loyal to the property on cash stays are treated better. (And there must be a lot of such people or rates wouldn't be up ~40% from before Covid.)

The funny thing about the PHNY suite discussion is that, by NYC standards, PHNY's standard room is huge.
Old Aug 29, 22, 5:57 pm

Not just hurt feelings. A true luxury hotel would not want to have guests fighting for a suite upgrade with entitlement at check in. It creates unnecessary friction that sours the stay. I think it's better to set and exceed lower expectation than to over promise and underdeliver.
Old Aug 29, 22, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite, World of Hyatt Globalist, AAdvantage Gold, United Premier Silver
Not just hurt feelings. A true luxury hotel would not want to have guests fighting for a suite upgrade with entitlement at check in. It creates unnecessary friction that sours the stay. I think it's better to set and exceed lower expectation than to over promise and underdeliver.
I must say - someone arguing that it's better that a hotel does not provide upgrades is not what I would have expected. It's a bit odd how every negative action taken by Hyatt and its affiliates is somehow twisted by someone on this forum to be something positive. Let's just call it like it is - the PHNY and its ownership seem to think that alienating some of their Globalist frequent guests is a small enough price to pay when compared to the supposed revenue they will lose by giving some of their suites to paying guests who book base rooms. That's their decision, and consumers will decide if they can live with that or not.
Old Aug 29, 22, 7:30 pm
Suspended

... Let's just call it like it is - the PHNY and its ownership seem to think that alienating some of their Globalist frequent guests is a small enough price to pay when compared to the supposed revenue they will lose by giving some of their suites to paying guests who book base rooms. That's their decision, and consumers will decide if they can live with that or not.
Again, Hyatt owns and operates PHNY, and people in this thread have been "calling it like it is" for years. It's been obvious for a long time that PHNY doesn't want to be a mecca for the points/certs crowd, and Hyatt HQ clearly is on board with that given PHNY's move to Cat 8 and HQ's longtime tolerance of PHNY's suite-definition and suite-upgrade shenanigans.
Old Aug 29, 22, 7:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott AMB; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by js1993 View Post
whereas PHNY was easily bookable at $550/night pre-Covid or by using a Cat 1-7 or 30,000 points, it now seems like $800/night is the bare minimum, even during summer months, and that's without the old points and certs horde filling rooms.
Prices are insane across the city. The Essex house is regularly $700/night.

people in this thread have been "calling it like it is" for years. It's been obvious for a long time that PHNY doesn't want to be a mecca for the points/certs crowd
Yep. Many of us have been calling this property out for its arrogance and inconsistent elite treatment literally since it opened.
Old Aug 29, 22, 7:36 pm

Again, Hyatt owns and operates PHNY, and people in this thread have been "calling it like it is" for years. It's been obvious for a long time that PHNY doesn't want to be a mecca for the points/certs crowd, and Hyatt HQ clearly is on board with that given PHNY's move to Cat 8 and HQ's longtime tolerance of PHNY's suite-definition and suite-upgrade shenanigans.
Perhaps, Hyatt should care more about keeping out weed-smokers (as reported upthread in post 2614) who obviously aren't WOH elites (people in the points game aren't going to be dumb enough to pay smoking fees) than Globalists who apparently sully the experience of the rich with their quiet enjoyment of a nice hotel.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Aug 29, 22, 7:58 pm

Perhaps, Hyatt should care more about keeping out weed-smokers (as reported upthread in post 2614) who obviously aren't WOH elites (people in the points game aren't going to be dumb enough to pay smoking fees) than Globalists who apparently sully the experience of the rich with their quiet enjoyment of a nice hotel.
Well, I dunno. Four Seasons just today launched a new ad campaign featuring a commercial encouraging you to arrange a snowball fight at their New York (Downtown) property. Or order a pony to your room in Madrid. Apparently Home Alone 2 ruined luxury travel for millennials.

If the weed smokers pay full freight and lend some cachet to the place, maybe they are more valuable than the Globalists.
Old Aug 29, 22, 7:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
Prices are insane across the city. The Essex house is regularly $700/night.
Crazy. Even accounting for inflation, it's hard to believe these rates after reading all of the "NYC is dead and won't ever recover" stories in 2020–21. As I understand it, business travel, both generally and to NYC specifically, is still quite a bit off from 2019.
Old Aug 29, 22, 8:03 pm

Crazy. Hard to believe these rates after reading all of the "NYC is dead and won't ever recover" stories in 202021.
What's worse is, outside the very top amenities still suck. They want you to pay $800 a night for properties with part time housekeeping and closed restaurants.

At this point I treat Globalist like modern airline status - it's convenient, especially when finding myself stuck at an airport hotel or a place like Orlando. At least I'll get a nice room (up to and including a standard suite!), treated somewhat seriously and maybe free breakfast. Redemptions are just a rebate scheme - at the moment it's pay to play.
strickerj and js1993 like this.

Search this Thread