Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 14, 2022, 12:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kacee
You can order whatever you like. But the hotel is not obligated to comp anything beyond what was quoted to you for each guest, as it complies precisely with the Globalist breakfast benefit. You should expect to pay for anything "extra."
Totally, but entrees can easily vary in price at some PHs by a 2x multiple ($20 vs $40) -- so I understand why some folks wonder if they can swap out the drink or entree for a handful of sides or whatever. I think the dollar value (e.g., up to $60 per person) is much clearer.

In any case, I've never had a PH charge me for breakfast, despite playing a little fast and loose with the menu type restrictions. But as Kacee points out, ymmv. Push the limit a little bit, and if you end up paying $30 for a $200 breakfast, so be it.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:58 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
The Hyatt defenders are out in full force today - why would a property take the time to print out generic welcome letters without names but take the time to print out versions for every possible upgrade type? Seems like they only intend to upgrade Globalists to city view Kings to me. Why else would they be so specific on their printed letter?
that is my take. It’s a letter given out even when there are base level suites available.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
if you're picky about smoked salmon in NYC, you're gonna need to leave the hotel and venture out to certain delis that are known for their lox/smoked salmon

otherwise yeh, its meh in the hotel for Smoked salmon
Happy to report that the smoked salmon is top quality durning this stay. Was even at Russ and Daughters but didn’t bother to buy any as it’s so good here.

After a few days I’ll go downstairs to try the lobster and eggs but haven’t been motivated yet as the lox is so good - silky, center cut slices, not too salty.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
They ask you how many people are staying in the room at check-in normally. On another note, your stayimg at one of the most expensive hotels in NYC, you can't afford an extra side of bacon?
I can't.

Originally Posted by Gertjaars
if you're picky about smoked salmon in NYC, you're gonna need to leave the hotel and venture out to certain delis that are known for their lox/smoked salmon

otherwise yeh, its meh in the hotel for Smoked salmon
​​​​​​​Suggestions?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:32 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by lsquare
I can't.
Suggestions?
No worries the declining complimentary Globalist benefit at some hotels now comes with the option for government issued food stamps so you can afford additional sides
Thanks to this assistance top tier guests won’t go hungry any longer at their 1000 dollar a night hotels 😂

All kidding aside
I do think PHNYC salmon is adequate but if you want to venture out there is always Sadelles or Russ and Daughters
They both also deliver through Door Dash right to your room or hotel lobby as well
Another legend is Zabars on the upper West Side.They cut it right in front of you and their OJ is a lesson of
what 5 star hotels once were when it comes to freshly squeezed perfection.

I’ve started to become a big Door Dash customer as Food and beverage quality & variety as well as pricing in hotels have gotten out of control .I also get 5 points per dollar in spending through chase business cards 👍
Its cost effective with good value.Anytime I have been dissatisfied they offer a credit or refund too.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:37 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
No worries the declining complimentary Globalist benefit at some hotels now comes with the option for government issued food stamps so you can afford additional sides
Thanks to this assistance top tier guests won’t go hungry any longer at their 1000 dollar a night hotels 😂

All kidding aside
I do think PHNYC salmon is adequate but if you want to venture out there is always Sadelles or Russ and Daughters
They both also deliver through Door Dash right to your room or hotel lobby as well
Another legend is Zabars on the upper West Side.They cut it right in front of you and their OJ is a lesson of

I’ve started to become a big Door Dash customer as Food and beverage quality & variety as well as pricing in hotels have gotten out of control .I also get 5 points per dollar in spending through chase business cards 👍
Its cost effective with good value.Anytime I have been dissatisfied they offer a credit or refund too.
I'll echo the doordash tip, but my big complaint about DD is that hotel staff frequently peg these guys as soon as they walk up to the front door and grab the food so they can call my room and have it delivered so they can have an excuse to grab a tip. It's almost like a hostage situation that I have to calculate into the DD fee. Of course, ideally, I want to meet DD at the door myself to avoid this, but it doesn't always work out so well. Several 5 star properties have made a cottage industry out of intercepting mobile orders and turning them into a $5 bill. PH is no exception.
lsquare and strickerj like this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 12:33 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by jbandy10
I'll echo the doordash tip, but my big complaint about DD is that hotel staff frequently peg these guys as soon as they walk up to the front door and grab the food so they can call my room and have it delivered so they can have an excuse to grab a tip. It's almost like a hostage situation that I have to calculate into the DD fee. Of course, ideally, I want to meet DD at the door myself to avoid this, but it doesn't always work out so well. Several 5 star properties have made a cottage industry out of intercepting mobile orders and turning them into a $5 bill. PH is no exception.
There may be times that would be quite desirable but not always certainly!
Although it’s work the Doordash App lets you know when the driver is arriving
So if you meet the dasher at the main entrance problem likely averted.Also if it happens to be hot food you want to get it without delay.At the IC San Francisco they have one dedicated table near the front door for all food delivery
No hustle.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 5:51 am

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers
Originally Posted by jbandy10
I wouldn't call it a hustle. 5 star hotels don't want DoorDash and UberEats drivers roaming the lobby and hallways. It makes the place look decidedly less upscale and it impugns the hotel's own F&B offerings.
lsquare and MarkOK like this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
I wouldn't call it a hustle. 5 star hotels don't want DoorDash and UberEats drivers roaming the lobby and hallways. It makes the place look decidedly less upscale and it impugns the hotel's own F&B offerings.
True enough. Wish the DD app was more reliable so I could meet the drivers. Sometimes it will say "10 mins away" and suddenly marked delivered.

I'm leaning pretty heavily toward returning here next week over Thompson. Will report if so.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:00 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Thinking that a 5-star hotel with $1000+ nightly rates is trying to scam guests by running up their delivery from the lobby (which would otherwise require at least one, if not two elevator trips, depending on the delivery driver) for a $5 tip is pretty far-fetched. I would gladly pay $5 to avoid having to go downstairs for my food, and I'd imagine the vast majority of paying clientele would agree.
MarkOK likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 9:48 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by callmedtop
Thinking that a 5-star hotel with $1000+ nightly rates is trying to scam guests by running up their delivery from the lobby (which would otherwise require at least one, if not two elevator trips, depending on the delivery driver) for a $5 tip is pretty far-fetched. I would gladly pay $5 to avoid having to go downstairs for my food, and I'd imagine the vast majority of paying clientele would agree.
Paying clientele are the key words there...

Regards
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 10:01 am

All kidding aside

I’m here now.

Smoked salmon is very good. Interestingly, varies by day, as the first couple days it was top quality. Today not the same. I’ll ask who there purveyor is.

I compare to Russ and Daughters, which is my usual. I usually buy from them to bring back to the room if salmon isn’t great.

If you want better than R&D, the only place I know is the Tsar cut from Petrossian. Zabars and Murray’s are good uptown alternatives.

Today I’m going to have the lobster and scrambled eggs via room service.
lsquare likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 11:16 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
There may be times that would be quite desirable but not always certainly!
Although it’s work the Doordash App lets you know when the driver is arriving
So if you meet the dasher at the main entrance problem likely averted.Also if it happens to be hot food you want to get it without delay.At the IC San Francisco they have one dedicated table near the front door for all food delivery
No hustle.
Last couple times I was at the Confidante in Miami Beach, they were taking the deliveries at the front entrance and calling rooms/holding the food there. It was kind of chaotic though (as is everything that happens in the lobby at that hotel!), and I had a delivery driver once that couldn't speak english who texted me that he was there. I went down and in his best english he was arguing with a staff member, refusing to relinquish the food to them.

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Yeah, I strongly agree with this point. Even at low-cost hotels, I much rather deal with the policy that you meet food delivery in the lobby than allow just about anyone up and about the hallways. Not just due to safety and aesthetics, but just the sense of privacy and quiet.

Exactly. I think it's a nice touch to have staff deliver food, assuming they can do so with urgency, especially if upon delivery they offer/ask if there is anything else we need. That's the kind of service that makes me much more likely to return to that hotel in the future.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 12:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Last couple times I was at the Confidante in Miami Beach, they were taking the deliveries at the front entrance and calling rooms/holding the food there. It was kind of chaotic though (as is everything that happens in the lobby at that hotel!), and I had a delivery driver once that couldn't speak english who texted me that he was there. I went down and in his best english he was arguing with a staff member, refusing to relinquish the food to them.

Yeah, I strongly agree with this point. Even at low-cost hotels, I much rather deal with the policy that you meet food delivery in the lobby than allow just about anyone up and about the hallways. Not just due to safety and aesthetics, but just the sense of privacy and quiet.

Exactly. I think it's a nice touch to have staff deliver food, assuming they can do so with urgency, especially if upon delivery they offer/ask if there is anything else we need. That's the kind of service that makes me much more likely to return to that hotel in the future.
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really dislike the tipping culture here. Pre-COVID, I spent the vast majority of my time in Asia and I just don't have to think about tipping in general. I could also make the case that the hotel shouldn't have to charge $5 when the daily rate is over $1k/night.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 7:46 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by lsquare
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but I really dislike the tipping culture here. Pre-COVID, I spent the vast majority of my time in Asia and I just don't have to think about tipping in general. I could also make the case that the hotel shouldn't have to charge $5 when the daily rate is over $1k/night.
No one is charging you $5 here. You don't have to tip if you don't want to.
beachfan and Gioventu like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.