Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 25, 2022, 5:17 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by skj
Did you bother to read the post by @Travel4Love, immediately above yours? If you look at the menu they posted the "Complete Breakfast" is in the upper left and shows 4 options.
No I didn’t your honor I only glanced at the menus didn’t realize they were also defining what I was allowed to eat based on the new menu format of what’s included
Not terrible not great.overall 56 dollars for smoked salmon on a bagel? And it’s only fairly good.My toast was burnt last time lol

I’m really happy staying where I want and j just paying for my breakfast if it isn’t reaonable or to my liking
I do like room service as an option @ PHNY so that’s pretty cool
Door Dash does a great job retail for 30 dollars delivered and Amazon too but that’s more work as it’s cold stuff
Many times the quality is better too.Sadelles is great for breakfast through Door Dash superior to Park Hyatt smoked salmon too
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by js1993
The text on the letter is the literal definition of Hyatt's Globalist breakfast benefit, isn't it? One entree (or buffet) plus hot beverage and cold beverage?
Yeah, I'm not a fan of this property, but they are following the published benefit to the letter. It's a full breakfast, and it's more generous than what many properties are now providing on an FHR rate (MO being one recent example at a similar price point).
Old Jul 25, 2022, 7:06 pm

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yeah, I'm not a fan of this property, but they are following the published benefit to the letter. It's a full breakfast, and it's more generous than what many properties are now providing on an FHR rate (MO being one recent example at a similar price point).
+1 to this - while I have significant issues with the upgrade line on that letter, the breakfast system of the Complete Breakfast choices on the Room Service menu has been that way since at least 2021. It is a full breakfast, so that's good. I guess quality is slightly subjective, but I've never had issues ordering one of those choices (have never tried the restaurant as on my last stay, the menu seemed quite limited - perhaps that has changed).
Old Jul 28, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: SK Gold
We chose the restaurant breakfast both mornings of our stay. The bill included a service charge of 18%. On top of that we felt "encouraged" to tip further with the exact amount for 15%, 18% and 20% already "helpfully" calculated. Isn't a tip what you pay for services and thus covered by the service charge? It felt disingenuous to me.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:04 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Travel4Love
We chose the restaurant breakfast both mornings of our stay. The bill included a service charge of 18%. On top of that we felt "encouraged" to tip further with the exact amount for 15%, 18% and 20% already "helpfully" calculated. Isn't a tip what you pay for services and thus covered by the service charge? It felt disingenuous to me.
The included service charge should have been wiped at check-out - was it not?

Hotels around the world include a space for an added gratuity on the charge slip (including in countries where only Americans who don't know any better leave a tip). It's annoying but hardly unique to this property.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:21 am
Suspended
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond
A service charge = is the tip.

Don't be influenced by the asinine American tipping culture. You shouldn't be tipping, especially when this hotel has the audacity to "encourage" you to do it further. They can't even get their WOH benefits right.
The bill included a service charge of 18%. On top of that we felt "encouraged" to tip further with the exact amount for 15%, 18% and 20% already "helpfully" calculated. Isn't a tip what you pay for services and thus covered by the service charge? It felt disingenuous to me.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:41 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
Agreed it doesn't say partial technically in writing its says one entree and hot and cold beverage that isn't a full breakfast IMO
so I called it partial my words not theirs
That said even in Marriott's program where its says Continental only some hotels provide full hot breakfast entree, various sides & beverages.
Just as it was at a recent Hyatt Regency stay
Personally I expect slightly better in a 5 star where redemption's and revenue nights are @ a premium
Better question how do you define a complete breakfast option by comparison.Can you educate me?
It's literally called Complete Breakfast in the room service menu posted before. That's why they are capitalized, referring to the specific section in the room service menu.

The Living Room doesn't have a Complete Breakfast section. So you order individual items. Pretty clear to me what the intent of the wording means once you look at the menu.

The Living Room Breakfast Menu | June 2022 (hyatt.com)
Old Jul 28, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
The included service charge should have been wiped at check-out - was it not?

Hotels around the world include a space for an added gratuity on the charge slip (including in countries where only Americans who don't know any better leave a tip). It's annoying but hardly unique to this property.
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
A service charge = is the tip.

Don't be influenced by the asinine American tipping culture. You shouldn't be tipping, especially when this hotel has the audacity to "encourage" you to do it further. They can't even get their WOH benefits right.
Something tells me this was less of an encouragement as the OP stated and more of a "we aren't going to reprogram our POS system for receipt printing because we are too lazy." Of course, they are also probably hoping people don't notice, as well, but this is an everywhere issue in the US, not just PHNY.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
Something tells me this was less of an encouragement as the OP stated and more of a "we aren't going to reprogram our POS system for receipt printing because we are too lazy." Of course, they are also probably hoping people don't notice, as well, but this is an everywhere issue in the US, not just PHNY.
Laziness would never be a surprise at PHNY, but if the 18% service charge is standard, it's deceiving to list 15%, 18%, and 20% as tip suggestions rather than just have an "additional tip" line. This feels deliberate.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 11:46 am
Suspended

I'm assuming you're a globalist, and all other globalists should use the 2 receipt examples below on how to handle the Globalist "Tip/Breakfast" fiasco.

It really isn't that awkward, confrontational nor difficult as some others make it seem in this forum...

Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:04 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Not exactly the same, but in NYC taxis, the suggested tip starts at 20% (and shows 25% and 30%) For longer rides, this is a significant overtip compared to norms.

Some may feel pressure, I don’t. I tip 10% -15% (unless it’s a short ride, then usually do round dollars).
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Gertjaars
I'm assuming you're a globalist, and all other globalists should use the 2 receipt examples below on how to handle the Globalist "Tip/Breakfast" fiasco.

It really isn't that awkward, confrontational nor difficult as some others make it seem in this forum...

I think it would be better to put the amount corresponding to 18% on the tip line and write down the total.

I stayed at the Ventana recently and made a mistake of not putting the total there. I think the waiter must added in an extra $10 for tips.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I’ll be working from the room, so very much appreciate the room service option.

but that lobster and egg fish may lure me downstairs. Anyone have it, is it worth the time/effort (for folks who love lobster)?
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by SP03
I think it would be better to put the amount corresponding to 18% on the tip line and write down the total.

I stayed at the Ventana recently and made a mistake of not putting the total there. I think the waiter must added in an extra $10 for tips.
I would think you could get double charged, with the total overridden. I put in “0” or “already included”. Putting a $ amount in the top line is asking for trouble.

I agree on filling out the total.
Old Jul 28, 2022, 12:20 pm
Suspended

Not worth the time to go down, also you can have all the food delivered to your room/pick up even if its not on the room service menu.
Originally Posted by beachfan
I’ll be working from the room, so very much appreciate the room service option.

but that lobster and egg fish may lure me downstairs. Anyone have it, is it worth the time/effort (for folks who love lobster)?

That's pretty much theft and illegal for service staff to do, especially at the Ventana out of all places...? You have an easy small claims case settlement win.
Originally Posted by SP03

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.