Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2022, 6:55 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
that’s because the Park Hyatt has beds like cement Or very firm to be polite (some prefer that )
I shipped them a premium foam topper for myself when I stay and asked that they share it with
other guests that want luxury plush comfort.
You may wish to request it if available at the time of arrival
it turns the Park Hyatt beds into pure heaven
This is a trick I’ll learned from the former Andaz Wall Street who kept them on hand
Park Hyatt linens are superior too to Andaz
answering my own question.

I’ve stayed here and found them significantly firmer than I care, but not quite that hard (as cement), as I’ve experienced that in Asia.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:04 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by beachfan
Saw some complaints about the hardness of the bed in another thread. Anyone feel that way here?
I'm fairly sensitive to this issue, but I've stayed here a few times and never found the bed to be firm. At most other park hyatt's I've stayed at I've asked for an extra layer of padding to be added to soften the bed (which was always accommodated graciously).
beachfan likes this.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 7:28 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

answering my own question.

I’ve stayed here and found them firmer than I care, but not quite that hard.
Found them very uncomfortable @ PH NY and happier in less expensive 4 star properties.I request a topper when I stay.
Best beds in the city of New York @ The Langham by Duxianna from Sweden they are also 10k each
I've had 3 different ones for the last 30 years on both coasts

At the end of the day Its all subjective and what you are used too & or prefer
Firm is the direction more & more hotels seem to be taking over the past years getting rid of pillow tops or that sink in feeling and going to firm they are also less expensive for hotels to buy
Gone is the trend with original W beds and Westin Heavenly in favor of firm some will love that others like me are fleeing or requesting toppers

Reacent Examples
Sheraton Times Square

Once had a very medium plush medium mattress (Sweet Sleeper)
(I read about a young military guy who sleeps in trenches complaining on Trip Advisor how hard the bed was that said it all for me)
He was right on point

(New)Hyatt Place Montreal
Like an ironing board (Nice Hyatt Place otherwise)

I like the Grand Bed from Hyatt which has been around for years but its definitely not what you are getting in
Park Hyatt Sydney, Park Hyatt New York,Park Hyatt Vienna etc
In love with new Canopy Beds by Hilton.May buy one for my guest room
Thought there was a good chance I would like it when I heard a guest complaining online it was too soft
I immediately booked it.
The brand seems to have the highest scores of all Hilton brands I have observed but thats more about the excellence of the hard product my guess
Old Jul 14, 2022, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Found them very uncomfortable @ PH NY and happier in less expensive 4 star properties.I request a topper when I stay.
Best beds in the city of New York @ The Langham by Duxianna from Sweden they are also 10k each
I've had 3 different ones for the last 30 years on both coasts

At the end of the day Its all subjective and what you are used too & or prefer
Firm is the direction more & more hotels seem to be taking over the past years getting rid of pillow tops or that sink in feeling and going to firm they are also less expensive for hotels to buy
Gone is the trend with original W beds and Westin Heavenly in favor of firm some will love that others like me are fleeing or requesting toppers

Reacent Examples
Sheraton Times Square

Once had a very medium plush medium mattress (Sweet Sleeper)
(I read about a young military guy who sleeps in trenches complaining on Trip Advisor how hard the bed was that said it all for me)
He was right on point

(New)Hyatt Place Montreal
Like an ironing board (Nice Hyatt Place otherwise)

I like the Grand Bed from Hyatt which has been around for years but its definitely not what you are getting in
Park Hyatt Sydney, Park Hyatt New York,Park Hyatt Vienna etc
In love with new Canopy Beds by Hilton.May buy one for my guest room
Thought there was a good chance I would like it when I heard a guest complaining online it was too soft
I immediately booked it.
The brand seems to have the highest scores of all Hilton brands I have observed but thats more about the excellence of the hard product my guess

Thanks! it was your comments in the Conrad thread that reminded me that I found the bed too firm, but not intolerable. I think I had them take a comforter and use it as a topper (under the sheet). That's what I do when I'm in Asia (sometimes takes too comforters). I thought you supplied your own topper, but if they have them available that might do the trick.

The old Westin sleeper beds were great, but they got remodeled and went away from inner spring coils, so they don't stay comfortable. I like firm matress with a plush top, I don't want to sink into the bed, but I don't want extra pressure on my hip and shoulders either.

If they have toppers available, I'll try that. I will be working from the room, and although I usually stay at the Andaz, it's nicer at the Park Hyatt and a better workstation as well.
Old Jul 14, 2022, 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
Wow, a month with no reports from PHNY. Might be a new record.
no more free night certificates so alot less traffic......
Old Jul 14, 2022, 11:00 pm

Thanks! it was your comments in the Conrad thread that reminded me that I found the bed too firm, but not intolerable. I think I had them take a comforter and use it as a topper (under the sheet). That's what I do when I'm in Asia (sometimes takes too comforters). I thought you supplied your own topper, but if they have them available that might do the trick.

The old Westin sleeper beds were great, but they got remodeled and went away from inner spring coils, so they don't stay comfortable. I like firm matress with a plush top, I don't want to sink into the bed, but I don't want extra pressure on my hip and shoulders either.

If they have toppers available, I'll try that. I will be working from the room, and although I usually stay at the Andaz, it's nicer at the Park Hyatt and a better workstation as well.
I don’t find the comforters to help all that much or worse housekeeping bringing in an extra mattress protector
Andaz Wall Street was the property that taught me about foam toppers as they had them for guests after losing business after numerous complaints
and yes I gifted the Park Hyatt New York with one after counting sheep one night in one of their beautiful suites
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by js1993
Wow, a month with no reports from PHNY. Might be a new record.
Well, now that it's a Category 8, it's priced itself out of the FT market. Let's hope that if it's going to be all paid bookings people can get their money's worth. But I doubt it.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 6:33 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by Pickles
Well, now that it's a Category 8, it's priced itself out of the FT market. Let's hope that if it's going to be all paid bookings people can get their money's worth. But I doubt it.
I'm planning 2 nights here for a Spring getaway on points (still got plenty from the Chase sign-up bonus). There's no off-peak dates within 2 months of my preferred week, but there's at least standard awards, which I can stomach for 2 nights. I'm only Discoverist and care about the location and hard product over personal service, so it sounds like this property might be right up my alley.

Otherwise, I'd pick somewhere cheaper for NY and get my PH badge at the one in Chicago.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:04 am

Programs: LH HON
I'm more than dissapointed with the changes post-covid in terms of service and management, thus not spending any cash there any longer. My business goes elsewhere.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:25 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
There's no reason to stay at the PHNY when you can get a significantly better experience for less at the Thompson across the street or the Andaz 5th Avenue several blocks away. Better service and better comfort (especially beds) and better price wins out over the "bougie" looks of the PHNY any day.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 11:31 am

hah hah the Flyertalk market who knew we had our own elite market?

What I would say the property for we the Frequent traveler who are active in programs it becomes somewhat less desirable especially as you can't
add points to an award like you can now @ Marriott & IHG. Or use a Hilton certificate with ease like you can at nearly any cat /property they have
PHNY is also now or more expensive than other competing properties in or out of Hyatt on points when I do the math with credit card earnings
and ease of earning promos & promo awards elsewhere..Of course not everyone is price sensitive or value conscious they want what they want
and buy it just like a First Class ticket as I do if something is important meaningful enough.

Added to all that promotion wise Hyatt has been weaker on average than competing programs except during the height of Covid
when it meant risking your life to travel
Oddly whatever few promos I see are targeted (hello old SPG alumni /friends (you know who you are ) now running Hyatt's program (sigh)
or partner related with MGM or bonus AA miles more recently

IMO The Park should have moved up to 35k not 40 but greed is something every program now excels to some degree (hello Bonvoid)
as we try to ease out of the pandemic
Hyatt decided to move from the most fair little program historically to a me too sadly as it tries to pry itself out of the Covid financial Tsunami

That said my expectations go up when a program raises prices on award or revenue and claims a true 5 star.
I was delighted with my last stay there @ The Park Hyatt NY even with some minor caveats
My next stay will be at the New Ritz Carlton Nomad as they never Grand opened on time in June when I tried to make the opening and a return
visit to Andaz 5th Avenue after near 3 years! using my 1-7 now that it can not be used at the Park Hyatt NY or add to it with additional points

I have observed over the past 3 years declining globalist breakfast value & choice at select properties,suite category downgrading,hotels
gaming standard award availability,closed Regency Clubs, declining food and beverage quality and variety/choice in selections.
It has had a material affect on my business
which is is down 50% from pre covid levels while my hotel stay travel is up 150%.

So while I am still a Hyatt fan on many levels where they still excel I'm uncertain I can ever be the
customer I was ever in the past 3 decades that is the truth and the world still turns with or without my head in their bed
LowValueCustomer likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; Jul 15, 2022 at 11:38 am
Old Jul 15, 2022, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ckx2
I'm more than dissapointed with the changes post-covid in terms of service and management, thus not spending any cash there any longer. My business goes elsewhere.
Where does your business go?

Legit question -- my last cash stay in NYC was at the St.R last month, and I'm genuinely curious about what properties are well-liked among others who might spend cash (even if OPM) on the PHNY. I have a cash stay next month... currently have rooms booked at both St.R and Chatwal, will cancel one and choose the other based on SNAs, or cancel both and pick something else if it seems better.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
Where does your business go?

Legit question -- my last cash stay in NYC was at the St.R last month, and I'm genuinely curious about what properties are well-liked among others who might spend cash (even if OPM) on the PHNY. I have a cash stay next month... currently have rooms booked at both St.R and Chatwal, will cancel one and choose the other based on SNAs, or cancel both and pick something else if it seems better.
Would welcome your review and comparison on either property you might stay at.
Thoughts on St Regis? Conside the new Ritz Carlton?
My stay at the Park Hyatt New York last year they took care of my entire breakfast by room service so I have no complaints there and my upgrade was outstanding
Not sure what either hotel is up to now currently one year later
Like modern and new and PHNY ticks those boxes.Shower is on point too
The Chatwal seems to get mixed reviews.My guess is it depends the room you get and some may be quirky or with an odd layout from what I read
It seems overpriced in my perception.I'm uncertain of how they handle elite breakfast there if it matters
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Would welcome your review and comparison on either property you might stay at.
Thoughts on St Regis? Conside the new Ritz Carlton?
My stay at the Park Hyatt New York last year they took care of my entire breakfast by room service so I have no complaints there and my upgrade was outstanding
Not sure what either hotel is up to now currently one year later
Like modern and new and PHNY ticks those boxes.Shower is on point too
The Chatwal seems to get mixed reviews.My guess is it depends the room you get and some may be quirky or with an odd layout from what I read
It seems overpriced in my perception.I'm uncertain of how they handle elite breakfast there if it matters
I stayed at the Chatwal with some frequency (once or twice a year) pre-covid, haven't been back since, so this would be my first time there in 2.5 years. I always had a great experience, butler service there was fantastic (when I last stayed, I had work each day... 7am wake up call, 7:15 brought my laundry with a smile, 7:30 coffee service, then breakfast and out the door, nice welcome when I returned, etc.). Really enjoy the mezzanine bar at the Chatwal but King Cole is of course great, too.

My corp rate fluctuates between $600 and $675 at the St. Regis so, as long as the SNA clears (guaranteeing at least a grand deluxe) I will stay there. My rate at the Chatwal is lower, $450-550 but not enough lower to steer me there if the St. Regis SNA clears. The rest (rooms, bathroom, food) is all pretty much a wash for me. Three very different styles but all enjoyable for me.
Old Jul 15, 2022, 10:47 pm

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
I stayed at the Chatwal with some frequency (once or twice a year) pre-covid, haven't been back since, so this would be my first time there in 2.5 years. I always had a great experience, butler service there was fantastic (when I last stayed, I had work each day... 7am wake up call, 7:15 brought my laundry with a smile, 7:30 coffee service, then breakfast and out the door, nice welcome when I returned, etc.). Really enjoy the mezzanine bar at the Chatwal but King Cole is of course great, too.

My corp rate fluctuates between $600 and $675 at the St. Regis so, as long as the SNA clears (guaranteeing at least a grand deluxe) I will stay there. My rate at the Chatwal is lower, $450-550 but not enough lower to steer me there if the St. Regis SNA clears. The rest (rooms, bathroom, food) is all pretty much a wash for me. Three very different styles but all enjoyable for me.
Good to hear. Thank you for sharing
I wasn't sure if the Chatwal was overrated,Seems I'll have to try it out sometime What is the breakfast benefit there and at the St Regis?
St Regis elite breakfast benefit previously was near double what Park Hyatt NYC offering its top elite customers 150.00 for 2

There was a time when Hyatt was number 1 at each and every hotel worldwide for taking care of its best customers no questions asked.
And still is in select hotels
The playing field is more leveled now than its ever been before and its driving me to new brands to try others out more frequently now.
I think it was extremely foolish on Hyatt's part to cut but if thats the new direction I genuinely hope it works well for them
Previously Hyatt would get the lions share of my business as breakfast was dependable and generous everywhere you stayed
No silly stuff like toast & fruit water is extra etc after spending 350K plus.Its embarrassing when they announce it front of your guest or family member at the table

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.