Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2022, 3:38 pm

Originally Posted by jrlitt
I have stayed at all of the Hyatt's above 40th Street. My favorite taking into account quality of hotel, location, point cost and availability of suite upgrades is the Andaz. It's right across the street from the public library. It's a great location for seeing shows and having and being centrally located to all of the typical tourist things. Breakfast is good, but Park Hyatt is certainly better for breakfast. Park Hyatt is a good location for access to Central Park and high-end shopping and restaurants. But the Andaz is a better location for most of the touristy things like the Empire State Building, Times Square and anything downtown. The Park Hyatt is a very nice hotel, but I don't think on par with the Park Hyatt Vienna (where I stayed recently and had an amazing suite and breakfasts).

If you like the location of Park Hyatt, you can stay at the Thompson for 20,000 points. The restaurant there used to have the best breakfast in town, but I believe it closed, so I don't know what breakfast is like now (it has a "secret" burger place that is actually quite good). Rooms are small, but perfectly comfortable, and it's just a block away from the Park Hyatt.
Thanks for comparing the PHNY with PH Vienna. I feel like I have a better sense of the hotel now. And thanks for providing other Hyatt options in NY--will look into Andaz. As for the location goes, we will be doing all touristy things and no shopping.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by jrlitt
But the Andaz is a better location for most of the touristy things like the Empire State Building, Times Square and anything downtown.
Midtown ok. Downtown, flat disagree that any hotel is a better location above Chambers much less Houston.

David

Last edited by DELee; Jan 26, 2022 at 6:34 pm
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:32 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by DELee
Midtown ok. Downtown, flat disagree that any hotel is a better location above Chambers much less Houston.

David
You are forgetting one of the most important tourist attractions if you stay at Hotel 50 Bowery below Midtown
A pastrami sandwich at Katz’s delicatessen.One approx mile from the front door of the hotel
so never say never Mustard and pickles on the side please
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Jan 26, 2022, 6:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
You are forgetting one of the most important tourist attractions if you stay at Hotel 50 Bowery below Midtown
A pastrami sandwich at Katz’s delicatessen.One approx mile from the front door of the hotel
so never say never Mustard and pickles on the side please
Sure. That being said, made the trek uptown from Gild Hall for GW McLintock 's Deli DO albeit at the 2nd Ave Deli and that worked too.

David
Old Jan 26, 2022, 7:26 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Sure. That being said, made the trek uptown from Gild Hall for GW McLintock 's Deli DO albeit at the 2nd Ave Deli and that worked too.

David
True enough.
Other than the Pastrami at Katz all the sides were better at 2nd Avenue Ave and the service much better by far!
Old Jan 27, 2022, 7:33 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
Again your another one that should flat out avoid staying at the PHNY. Not worth it......
Huh? if someone points to something really stupid about a hotel's definition of a 'standard suite', they should just avoid it? I have mixed feelings about most properties, this one included. For a straight forward points stay there are lots of -good- things about the PHNY. Its high on my list of hotels in Manhattan for casual, relaxed stays with just me and the wife. I plan on returning sometime in the late summer.

Still, the globalist suite upgrades are a pretty useless benefit here. A TSU (or compl upgrade) gets a -slightly- bigger room, and good chances it will be on something like floor 10 and in this building low floors are darker and gets a lot of street noise. It makes a mockery of the standard suite benefit within WoH.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 9:19 am

Programs: MB Ambassador, WOH Globalist, HH Diamond (Aspire), AA Gold, UA (*G) Gold
Originally Posted by MarkOK
Huh? if someone points to something really stupid about a hotel's definition of a 'standard suite', they should just avoid it? I have mixed feelings about most properties, this one included. For a straight forward points stay there are lots of -good- things about the PHNY. Its high on my list of hotels in Manhattan for casual, relaxed stays with just me and the wife. I plan on returning sometime in the late summer.

Still, the globalist suite upgrades are a pretty useless benefit here. A TSU (or compl upgrade) gets a -slightly- bigger room, and good chances it will be on something like floor 10 and in this building low floors are darker and gets a lot of street noise. It makes a mockery of the standard suite benefit within WoH.
+1 - I really like the PHNY, but their definition of a standard suite is ridiculous.
MarkOK and js1993 like this.
Old Jan 27, 2022, 10:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Originally Posted by ElevatorEnthusiast
+1 - I really like the PHNY, but their definition of a standard suite is ridiculous.
Unfortunately it's becoming a bigger problem, looks like PH Milan will have a junior suite as standard when it reopens in a few weeks. Junior suite is also standard at PH DC, Paris, Beaver Creek...
Old Jan 27, 2022, 12:16 pm

Programs: Hyatt, Hilton

David
I meant more convenient than the Park Hyatt. There are obviously many Hyatts closer to downtown than the Andaz, but I have not stayed any of those (most of the nicer ones weren't affiliated with Hyatt until pretty recently when they took over Thompson and Joie de Vivre). Andaz is centrally located and is very convenient for many of the touristy things, and not overly inconvenient to anywhere. But if you plan to spend most of your time at in the lower east side, the Village or downtown, there are certainly many more convenient options than the Andaz.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by boracat
Planning a trip to NY. I am taking my parents with us and we will be doing all touristy things. We have Hilton FNCs and I initially planned on staying at Conrad Midtown. However, as a Globalist I wonder if I'm making a mistake by not staying here. I haven't been to NY in ages (haven't stayed at either of the properties). I am partial to nice hotels with good breakfast (I love PH Vienna! ) but it's also using 240k points vs 8 certs that are expiring at the end of the year. Please advise.
please check the Conrad awards. They seem to have recategorized the suites by building a few 225 sq ft rooms; the only bigger room on points is a queen bed junior suites.
boracat likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 12:22 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
please check the Conrad awards. They seem to have recategorized the suites by building a few 225 sq ft rooms; the only bigger room on points is a queen bed junior suites.
Thanks! I did notice that and not sure what to do. My parents should be fine in king or queen room, but we have a child, so I don't know whether it'd be better to book Conrad queen bed junior suite, or a regular room at PHNY (used up all the SUAs) and hope for an upgrade, but be realistic.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 12:26 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by boracat
Thanks! I did notice that and not sure what to do. My parents should be fine in king or queen room, but we have a child, so I don't know whether it'd be better to book Conrad queen bed junior suite, or a regular room at PHNY (used up all the SUAs) and hope for an upgrade, but be realistic.
Unless you have money or points to burn, PHNY is overkill if the trip is to do "touristy things" and you'll only be at the hotel to sleep and shower.

EDIT: Sorry, already said that to you a few days ago. Thought this was a new thread/inquiry.
boracat likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by js1993
Unless you have money or points to burn, PHNY is overkill if the trip is to do "touristy things" and you'll only be at the hotel to sleep and shower.

EDIT: Sorry, already said that to you a few days ago. Thought this was a new thread/inquiry.
Yes you've made it quite clear to all of us that your a HUGE fan of the PHNY......got it!!!
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
Yes you've made it quite clear to all of us that your a HUGE fan of the PHNY......got it!!!
Was I wrong or are you just doing some sort of weird shtick?

(For the record, I actually love PHNY. The PHNY's service ... not so much.)
MarkOK likes this.
Old Jan 30, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Just another data point. I went to Park Hyatt New York last fall and were upgraded with a 1-bedroom suite before check-in. I was happy but surprised as it's a premium suite. The suite was on the lower floor(maybe ~10). There wasn't any good view from the room, but I also did not get bothered with the street noise. I posted a Youtube video if you want to learn more.

strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.