Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2021, 9:14 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by WasKnown
Yup, this is exactly what happened here. He checked in late during a very busy night for the city. There is really nothing else happening lol and a lot of the speculation behind this seems wild. Occam’s razor… the hotel is just managing their inventory.
That seemed obvious from the start, so why did you post it?
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 10:50 am

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by js1993
It is evidently not obvious from the start for many people here given the random comments in this thread lol. Why did you post this?
Warriorconcept likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Perhaps the lesson is to be very late to check-in on a busy night and test one’s luck about getting upgraded, walked or put in the proverbial broom closet room at the hotel? No, it can’t be that.
UA-NYC and Warriorconcept like this.
Old Dec 4, 2021, 12:49 pm

Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Perhaps the lesson is to be very late to check-in on a busy night and test one’s luck about getting upgraded, walked or put in the proverbial broom closet room at the hotel? No, it can’t be that.
Well, not obvious enough for everyone lol
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Just completed a long weekend, Thursday - Sunday for 3 rooms. I am globalist and booked 2 guest of honor rooms. The one room was noted GOH but the 2nd was not (front desk quickly resolved, but hotel was sold out so no upgrade was available for the one room).

My room was on the 23rd floor and was a City View. GOH room was also City View upgrade on 17th. Room that was not GOH was on 10th floor and standard room.

Full breakfast and tip was taken off for all 3 days on all 3 rooms automatically. I will say my experience on this trip was much better than visits prior to Covid.
WasKnown likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 8:42 am

Programs: AAdvantage ExecPlat, World of Hyatt Globalist, plain "member" of Marriott, IHG, enterprise, etc.
I know most people on FlyerTalk get studio suites here but a lot of Globalists on Telegram/Reddit/whatever (me too) have gotten 1 bedroom city view suites on points. PrinceOfTravel did a video on this a few months ago.

Take whatever you want out of that information....
I will take that as selection bias. Globalists scoring an odd upgrade like that post their wins (but not nearly so often their losses) on those other sites.

Most of the posts on this thread are from the same set of ~50-100 posters (being generous. probably more like 25 that make half the posts). It's a smallish sample size, but they (we) provide much more information (good and bad) about stays. You see everything from the super-upgrade to the "I got the sad room with a lone tiny window". My experience, on the whole, is quite within this range of experiences (with the program as a whole).
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:25 am

Originally Posted by MarkOK
I will take that as selection bias. Globalists scoring an odd upgrade like that post their wins (but not nearly so often their losses) on those other sites.

Most of the posts on this thread are from the same set of ~50-100 posters (being generous. probably more like 25 that make half the posts). It's a smallish sample size, but they (we) provide much more information (good and bad) about stays. You see everything from the super-upgrade to the "I got the sad room with a lone tiny window". My experience, on the whole, is quite within this range of experiences (with the program as a whole).
Hard to say definitively what is leading to this service/upgrade difference. I agree it’s largely the same set of people posting on FlyerTalk though. Suspiciously, my personal service and upgrade experiences have consistently been dramatically better than what is described on FT.

But for people like PoT, all of their stays are documented, with or without upgrades. I can’t speak to the Facebook datapoints but there are plenty of TG data points for junior suite upgrades too. It just skews more positive than FT. YMMV.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:32 am

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
I know most people on FlyerTalk get studio suites here but a lot of Globalists on Telegram/Reddit/whatever (me too) have gotten 1 bedroom city view suites on points. PrinceOfTravel did a video on this a few months ago.

Take whatever you want out of that information. The one pattern I’ve noticed is that FlyerTalk posters seem to get worse upgrades and worse service than what I observe directly. YMMV.
The one pattern I've noticed on Reddit is posters there seem to exaggerate quite a bit.

Most people here are anonymous, so it's unlikely PHNY is discriminating that way. Hell, based on the lackadaisical service there, I'd be shocked if they'd go to the effort.
UA-NYC and MarkOK like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 9:43 am

The one pattern I've noticed on Reddit is posters there seem to exaggerate quite a bit.

Most people here are anonymous, so it's unlikely PHNY is discriminating that way. Hell, based on the lackadaisical service there, I'd be shocked if they'd go to the effort.
I think it is possible that different people get different service at a hotel like PHNY but it would be difficult to prove this definitively in either direction. Even if that is the case, the factors that go into this would also be difficult to prove. I also think, as someone noted by someone else in their positive review here a few months ago, overwhelmingly positive reviews of the hotel feel unwelcome in this thread. The culture cultivated on FT also creates a selection bias. Finally, as I noted above, my own personal experience at hotels is very different from what FT posts would suggest and there are many other people that feel the same way. I know this site is not as broad as it once was so the fact that so many data points are coming from such a small group of people (as noted by someone else in this thread) innately skews things.
strickerj likes this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:12 pm

I also think, as someone noted by someone else in their positive review here a few months ago, overwhelmingly positive reviews of the hotel feel unwelcome in this thread.
That's kind of silly, for all sorts of reasons.

PHNY is supposed to be Hyatt's flagship property. Its reputation for indifferent service and brazen disregard for Globalist WoH benefits is well-deserved and not the result of some conspiracy among a few over-entitled FlyerTalk posters.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 12:19 pm

That's kind of silly, for all sorts of reasons.

PHNY is supposed to be Hyatt's flagship property. Its reputation for indifferent service and brazen disregard for Globalist WoH benefits is well-deserved and not the result of some conspiracy among a few over-entitled FlyerTalk posters.
Well, whether you think it’s silly or not, it is an opinion that has been voiced by others in this thread. So perhaps dismissing it is precisely the cultivation I am describing lol
Old Dec 6, 2021, 1:43 pm

Well, whether you think it’s silly or not, it is an opinion that has been voiced by others in this thread. So perhaps dismissing it is precisely the cultivation I am describing lol
This is one of the most highly moderated sites on the internet. The idea that adults would be afraid of posting positive comments here is fairly absurd.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:01 pm
Hyatt 10+ BadgeFour Seasons 5+ Badge

Programs: QF WP (OWE), VA PLAT, EY GLD, SPG PLAT, Hyatt DIA, Hilton DIA, Hertz PC
Ok then lol. You can close off your mind to this if you want and dismiss an conflicting opinion with little support. Ironically you are (again) demonstrating my point but whatever lol. Strange hill to die on because it only takes 1 person to choose not to engage with this thread to prove you wrong but… none of that takes away from the fact that the data points posted on FT for the PHNY skew more negative than what is found elsewhere. There was straight up a fatfire thread where verified posters were calling the PHNY the best hotel in NYC. Just because the small number of FlyerTalk posters dislike a hotel does not make it bad for everyone else.
You certainly have managed to enter more arguments and more threads than anyone I have witnessed in your short time on FT. It's time for moderator review.
UA-NYC, callmedtop and manu08 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
the data points posted on FT for the PHNY skew more negative than what is found elsewhere.
And why might that be? My experience at the PHNY, over multiple stays, is that diffident service, lack of attention to detail, inconsistent operating procedures, and weird, free-flowing standards at breakfast are the norm at this hotel. Forget upgrades, room category games, and the treatment of Globulists, those are just red herrings to much more deep-seated problems in the management of this property.

Some people have had a good experience, good for them, even lucky for them. My own experience (over multiple stays, both paid and on points, as it is possible to find good paid rates sometimes) is more averaged at the meh rating, all the way down to feh. Setting aside the physical plant of the rooms (which is very nice), not very many flashes of brilliance for me. I really couldn't tell the difference between paid and points stays, in case I was being treated differently. Same mediocrity averaged across the cycle.
MarkOK and js1993 like this.
Old Dec 6, 2021, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by m0hamed
You certainly have managed to enter more arguments and more threads than anyone I have witnessed in your short time on FT. It's time for moderator review.
Yes, because I choose to not be afraid to voice a conflicting opinion unlike the people that have given up on engaging with this site. Funnily enough, it only happens on FlyerTalk.

Originally Posted by Pickles
And why might that be? My experience at the PHNY, over multiple stays, is that diffident service, lack of attention to detail, inconsistent operating procedures, and weird, free-flowing standards at breakfast are the norm at this hotel. Forget upgrades, room category games, and the treatment of Globulists, those are just red herrings to much more deep-seated problems in the management of this property.

Some people have had a good experience, good for them, even lucky for them. My own experience (over multiple stays, both paid and on points, as it is possible to find good paid rates sometimes) is more averaged at the meh rating, all the way down to feh. Setting aside the physical plant of the rooms (which is very nice), not very many flashes of brilliance for me. I really couldn't tell the difference between paid and points stays, in case I was being treated differently. Same mediocrity averaged across the cycle.
I think it is possible that different people get different service at a hotel like PHNY but it would be difficult to prove this definitively in either direction. Even if that is the case, the factors that go into this would also be difficult to prove. Either way, it is difficult for me to claim any underlying reasoning for the differences without pure speculation.

Last edited by WasKnown; Apr 12, 2023 at 5:13 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.