Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2021, 1:15 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
I read far too much of this thread before my stay here this past weekend, but I wanted to quickly share my mostly positive experiences. We stayed two nights - one on the category 1-7 certificate and the other with 30k points.

I reached out in advance to ask about floral pricing for my partner's birthday and was quoted $100 plus tax and delivery for a small arrangement, $125++ for a medium. I guess this is pretty much in-line with NY prices, but for two nights I wasn't interested in paying that. For comparison I paid $75 all-in for a huge seasonal arrangement at the Grand Hyatt San Diego last month. The operations manager did proactively offer complimentary prosecco/strawberries in his email response, so we looked forward to that. I also asked via email about the potential to upgrade the room for cash and was quoted $250/night for the Studio Suite, $1750/night for the One Bedroom Terrace Suite, and $2000/night for the One Bedroom Residential Suite. I probably would have paid a few hundred for a one bedroom suite, but $1750 was an easy pass.

We were able to check-in as soon as we arrived, which was just before 10am on Friday. I love getting into the room that early, and when you have 4pm globalist check-out, it really adds up! My profile is set for a quiet room on a high floor, and we were on the 17th floor facing north. The front desk agent specifically mentioned that it was quieter facing north, so I assume they placed us there in response to my "quiet" preference. The room was huge but only had two small windows, making it quite dark. Like others have mentioned, the hard product is really great: awesome bed, heated floors, huge (though comically loud) bathtub. The cleaning was mostly great, but there were a few misses like a dead fly behind the curtain that was there all weekend and a stained coffee cup in the minibar upon arrival. The latter was addressed and the daily cleaning/turndown service was really well done otherwise.

Service was fine; I'd describe it as generally transactional and to-the-point. Check-in was quick and easy (like a minute and half total) and calls to request turndown service/room service-pickup were also super quick ("thanks" - *click*). When they were there, the doormen were welcoming and offered assistance with luggage on arrival and departure.

The pool, hot tub, and steam room were open and the lifeguard was checking vaccination cards. We were by ourselves for a good bit on Friday afternoon, and only saw two other people come through. Swimming up that high is a really cool experience and I'm thankful for that! The view from the gym is great and I got an okay workout in with the limited weights they have (smith machine, dumbbells up to 50lbs). They have a MIRROR device installed if you're into that kind of thing.

I only had one real "issue," but it was addressed by the manager and I don't have any hard feelings based on his response.
  • I called at 7:30 to request room service breakfast to be delivered at 10:00am because my partner was going to be returning from a long run around that time
  • 10:00 rolls around and nothing...
  • 10:05 hits and I call to check what's happening and I'm given a "oh wow there was a delay... we'll get that to you now." A few minutes is understandable and no problem so that's fine
  • 10:20 rolls around and I call again and a different person tells me "they are firing it now and it will absolutely be up by 10:30." I'm annoyed and now hungrier still but not much I can do.
  • At 10:35 I call again because I'm seriously ticked and the operator explains that they the delivery time wasn't put in my order when I placed it at 7:30 so it was missed until I called the first time around after 10:00. The doorbell rang while I was on the phone and I asked them to have the manager call me when he/she can and I grumpily ate my avocado toast.
  • The operations manager called two-three minutes later apologizing profusely and proactively offering 10k points as an apology. That was far more than I expected and I appreciated his being forthcoming
I was really annoyed in the moment, and I think if I hadn't been so well-compensated I'd still have a slightly sour taste in my mouth. Please don't take this as me attempting to complain because the apology/compensation from the manager made me more than whole.

At check-in the breakfast offering was only explained as "available by room service or in the lobby area." The first morning I only ordered avocado toast and a coffee while my partner ordered the "sweet start." The second morning we each got the "sweet start" and a bagel on the side. We weren't charged anything either morning. The food was great both days, though definitely request two coffee pots if you have two people. The press they sent up probably had 400ml of coffee total... I drink a lot of coffee and to me that's only enough for one.

Overall, it was a really great room in a really great location and I got my globalist benefits so I'm happy! Based on the response from the manager after the breakfast snafu I absolutely plan to come back if the price is reasonable or I have another certificate to burn.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by mag_nate
The room was huge but only had two small windows, making it quite dark.
You got a "frog in a well" room. Most rooms have floor-to-ceiling curtain glass and are beautifully illuminated by natural light. Having stayed there many times, first in the "usual number of windows" rooms, the one time I was put in a "frog in a well" room I basically asked to be moved immediately. The whole concept that they sell these glorified broom closets as rooms that people pay more for is emblematic of what the hotel staff thinks of its clientele.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Completed another stay at the PHNY a few weekends ago. A few days before check-in, I reached out and was quoted $1750/night for an upgrade to a terrace suite, which I declined. At check-in, we inquired about upgrades and were offered an upgrade to the Sky Terrace Suite for $800/night, which we accepted. (The beautiful weather in the city helped guide our decision..)

The Sky Terrace Suite was OK. I guess the hotel has gotten good at pricing upgrades because $800/night is right about the most I would pay to upgrade to this room. The indoor component of the suite didn't feel very different from the City View Suites that I've usually stayed in. If anything, the bathroom felt smaller than some of the bathrooms I've had in City View Suites or even regular rooms. We barely used the living room, which did not feel very welcoming, and had a very impractical / dangerous coffee table.

The terrace though was quite nice. You get to see a sliver of Central Park, which glowed pink during sunset. I was expecting the terrace to face either 57 or 58th street, but it actually faces 7th avenue, such that the main view is of a water tower and the new Central Park Tower (which really does tower above). However, given the price they charge, and how they market the suite, we were a little underwhelmed by the outdoor furniture. There really should be an outdoor umbrella, a chaise, and some evening lighting. (There was a pair of lanterns but the electric candles in them were inoperable... not that that would have provided much light.)

All in all, we did very much enjoy having access to the outdoor space, but if the weather weren't as nice, I would stick to the City View Suite. Considering I've paid $300/night in the past to upgrade to the City View Suite, I personally wouldn't pay more than $400/night to upgrade to a Terrace Suite (unless the weather is exceptional, in which case $600-800/night is maybe warranted).
Old Sep 20, 2021, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by G-CIVC

Have I been delegated into this near-windowless room only meant for lowly-unworthy points guests? I can’t believe this is going for $1,745+ tonight......
@mag_nate here is a picture of a "frog in a well" room. Is this what you got?
Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:01 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, Airline Nobody
Originally Posted by Pickles
@mag_nate here is a picture of a "frog in a well" room. Is this what you got?
That would be it! "Frog in a well" is a good way to put it... and for some reason, like the picture you quoted, the curtains only opened like two feet apart so the small window was made even smaller. The view from bed was... uh... not ideal, but I think the view from the bath was lovely. If we didn't have that I would have likely asked for something else.

Old Sep 20, 2021, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
That would be it! "Frog in a well" is a good way to put it... and for some reason, like the picture you quoted, the curtains only opened like two feet apart so the small window was made even smaller. The view from bed was... uh... not ideal, but I think the view from the bath was lovely. If we didn't have that I would have likely asked for something else.
It would be a close call between that room and one of the low-floor rooms fronting on 57th Street, which have floor to ceiling windows, but are both dark and loud.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 4:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC

At check-in the breakfast offering was only explained as "available by room service or in the lobby area." The first morning I only ordered avocado toast and a coffee while my partner ordered the "sweet start." The second morning we each got the "sweet start" and a bagel on the side. We weren't charged anything either morning. The food was great both days, though definitely request two coffee pots if you have two people. The press they sent up probably had 400ml of coffee total... I drink a lot of coffee and to me that's only enough for one.

Overall, it was a really great room in a really great location and I got my globalist benefits so I'm happy! Based on the response from the manager after the breakfast snafu I absolutely plan to come back if the price is reasonable or I have another certificate to burn.
Feels on the breakfast issue. We were quoted 30 minutes and waited over an hour and a half which really messed up our plans. For an ok breakfast, I would've just gone on with the day and gone to Starbucks had I known it was that long. Definitely not premium service. Otherwise, it's a nice hotel for NYC.
Old Sep 22, 2021, 9:49 pm

Here right now. Had a good checkin experience and good stay thus far. I’m fairly certain BTS is staying here and definitely some UNGA folks. Room rates are $1600+ right now.

I booked 2 nights on points and was upgraded to the King Bed Studio Suite on the 11th floor but I didn’t want to deal with street noise and a dark room/those greenhouse windows so I asked for a different room and was offered a City View King on the 23rd floor (the highest guest room floor). The Presidential Suite is the room right next to mine (2303). Views from my room are tremendous - I’d say the best I’ve ever had at this hotel:

I was able to preorder room service breakfast for tomorrow so let’s see if it comes at the requested time...

Other than that, the pool and hot tub (open 6am to 9pm) are an excellent way to end the day after a 5 mile run around Central Park (can’t beat the location!!) and turndown service was provided and was very thorough. I had a maintenance issue that was quickly addressed and when I called earlier for ice, it was here in less than 5 minutes.

I think if people can get over the fact that this place will not hand out premium suites to Globalists for free, it’s actually a really good deal on points. As much as we knock it, I really love this hotel.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:55 am

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by bcampbell1324
Here right now. Had a good checkin experience and good stay thus far. I’m fairly certain BTS is staying here and definitely some UNGA folks. Room rates are $1600+ right now.

I booked 2 nights on points and was upgraded to the King Bed Studio Suite on the 11th floor but I didn’t want to deal with street noise and a dark room/those greenhouse windows so I asked for a different room and was offered a City View King on the 23rd floor (the highest guest room floor). The Presidential Suite is the room right next to mine (2303). Views from my room are tremendous - I’d say the best I’ve ever had at this hotel:

I was able to preorder room service breakfast for tomorrow so let’s see if it comes at the requested time...

Other than that, the pool and hot tub (open 6am to 9pm) are an excellent way to end the day after a 5 mile run around Central Park (can’t beat the location!!) and turndown service was provided and was very thorough. I had a maintenance issue that was quickly addressed and when I called earlier for ice, it was here in less than 5 minutes.

I think if people can get over the fact that this place will not hand out premium suites to Globalists for free, it’s actually a really good deal on points. As much as we knock it, I really love this hotel.
thanks for the recap, would love to know how breakfast goes! Going next week before my wedding and really hoping breakfast can come on time in the morning as I’m getting ready!
Old Sep 23, 2021, 3:33 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by bcampbell1324
That’s funny. There’s a decent chance you only got the initial upgrade because they were sold out of non-suites and grudgingly upgraded a Globalist.

The room on the 23rd floor to which they “downgraded” you looks better than most of the Globalist suite upgrades that are reported here.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
I've said it before but I'll say it again - I've never stayed in a regular room at this hotel over 7-10 stays. Typically receive the 1-bedroom suite with a full living room and 1.5 baths. Once I got the City View suite with the huge windows across the bedroom and bathroom. I've used a mix of TSUs and just asking nicely. Not saying all of you are wrong, but just want to provide a different perspective.
Old Sep 23, 2021, 3:53 pm

Programs: American Airlines (Executive Platinum), Hyatt (Globalist), Hilton (Diamond), IHG (Diamond)
Originally Posted by callmedtop
I've said it before but I'll say it again - I've never stayed in a regular room at this hotel over 7-10 stays. Typically receive the 1-bedroom suite with a full living room and 1.5 baths. Once I got the City View suite with the huge windows across the bedroom and bathroom. I've used a mix of TSUs and just asking nicely. Not saying all of you are wrong, but just want to provide a different perspective.
That’s great, but there shouldn’t be any need for “asking nicely.” This thread is chock full of Globalists who didn’t even get the bare-minimum T&C upgrade when such suites were still available for sale.

What next? No free breakfast unless we “ask nicely”?
Old Sep 23, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Odd question, but is the parking associated with the hotel for in-and-out privileges? We are driving to the hotel and parking there while checking in on an award stay, and then someone we know is taking the car that night back across to NJ while we stay and eventually fly out the next day.
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:28 pm

Any word on when the restaurant will reopen for in-person breakfast?
Old Sep 24, 2021, 1:31 pm

Programs: WOH Globalist
Originally Posted by amolkold
Odd question, but is the parking associated with the hotel for in-and-out privileges? We are driving to the hotel and parking there while checking in on an award stay, and then someone we know is taking the car that night back across to NJ while we stay and eventually fly out the next day.
Yes it’s in and out privileges with valet, confirmed with hotel recently

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.