Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2021, 9:38 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Originally Posted by RedSun
This is something a lot people consistently failed to recognize.

PHNY operates in NYC. The labor cost is one of the highest. Not sure if they are related to hotel union. But the employees treat PHNY just like any of the hotels in NYC. The "flagship" does not mean anything to the employees. I do not think they make much more than working at another Hyatt next block. This is NYC, the capital of capitalism.
I don‘t see high labor costs as a reason for low quality. PH standard should be the same all over the world. High labor costs are reflected in the room rates, hence NY is high. PH in China and India are cheaper, so are the labor rates. But service should be expected to be the same as a Hyatt brand standard. That is why I choose an international hotel chain to do my business with.
scented likes this.

Last edited by 59Impala; May 13, 2021 at 1:48 pm Reason: Typo... china... lower LABOR rates
Old May 13, 2021, 9:45 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by 59Impala
I don‘t see high labor costs as a reason for low quality. PH standard should be the same all over the world. High labor costs are reflected in the room rates, hence NY is high. PH in China and India are cheaper, so are the room rates. But service should be expected to be the same as a Hyatt brand standard. That is why I choose an international hotel chain to do my business with.
True,

But expectation and reality are different things. I'm sure @liondragonx5y has combed through pages of the FT reviews on PHNY. Yet he/she still chose to use his/her points and paper to book the stay at PHNY. Another case of high expectation and the real reality. Folks just do not learn. I just do not see anything new from his experience.

Originally Posted by CLEguy
Why, then, can other Hyatt properties in the city consistently deliver quality service? Why can other luxury properties consistently deliver quality service? What makes the PHNY apparently allergic to such things? I don't by the "eh, it's New York" argument for a second. It's a poorly run hotel.
If folks despise PHNY so much, then just do not go and try your luck there.
Old May 13, 2021, 9:45 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob; UA 1K; BonVoyage LTT (RIP SPG); HH Dia; JX Insighter
Could be true. But with working and living in NYC metro area, I know what to expect from NYC. If you expect to pay with points or paper and expect to be treated like a prince with all the freebies and all the attentions, you'll be disappointed.

That is what NYC is for. Hyatt can't change it. If this were a large property and a lot guests pay with cash, then the hotel has more money to spend. But PHNY apparently is not in that situation. It is all about money and profit.
Why, then, can other Hyatt properties in the city consistently deliver quality service? Why can other luxury properties consistently deliver quality service? What makes the PHNY apparently allergic to such things? I don't by the "eh, it's New York" argument for a second. It's a poorly run hotel.

If folks despise PHNY so much, then just do not go and try your luck there.
I think we're in agreement (based on some of your prior posts in this thread) and may be talking past each other. The hotel IS crap, which is what I'm getting at and in response to posts positing labor rates or shortages as the reason. And I think you're simply pointing out that it's been crap for awhile so at this point it's caveat emptor.

Regardless, it's flummoxing that Hyatt allows this property to be so bad given its positioning within the market and the brand.

Last edited by Markie; May 13, 2021 at 11:52 pm
Old May 13, 2021, 10:05 am
Suspended

With my limited experience staying at PHNY, it was positive. So I do not have much against it. Also, I did not and do not have lofty expectation of all the freebies beyond all the freebies we already receive as Hyatt "elite". So I won't be disappointed easily. It is just me.

It is just pointless to continue to argue about this property. I'm going to stop....
Old May 13, 2021, 10:28 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Ok let get back on topic which is reviews and questions on the property, PH NY, and no more posts on labor situation etc.

peteropny - - co-mod — Hyatt
Old May 13, 2021, 10:50 am
Suspended

The Ritz Carlton NYC is in similar Central Park location. I tried several years and it was very hard to book it with points over peak season. So even though both PHNY and Ritz are in similar location and similar class, but they are just different. It is much easier to book PHNY with points or paper. So I figure PHNY does not sell rooms as quickly as Ritz does. This is also one of the reasons a lot folks cash in their Hyatt points and papers at PHNY. There are not many options in the US Northeast.

If PHNY changes its name to UB (Unbound), then most of the complaints may just go away. I think some day Hyatt should consider doing that.
Old May 13, 2021, 2:47 pm

Location: Manhattan, Palm Beach Island, San Francisco, Boston, & Hong Kong
Programs: Lifetime United Global Services, Delta Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Ambassador, & Hilton Diamond
Could be true. But with working and living in NYC metro area, I know what to expect from NYC. If you expect to pay with points or paper and expect to be treated like a prince with all the freebies and all the attentions, you'll be disappointed.

That is what NYC is for. Hyatt can't change it. If this were a large property and a lot guests pay with cash, then the hotel has more money to spend. But PHNY apparently is not in that situation. It is all about money and profit.
I live and work in Manhattan. Why is expecting quality hospitality unreasonable? We have booked stays on points at the JW Essex and the St Regis NYC. We have also paid cash rates for those hotels. Our treatment was the same in all instances: excellent. Isn’t that what brand standards are for?
Old May 13, 2021, 4:31 pm

I really don't get all the negativity. I just checked in for a three night stay and so far have been treated exceptionally well. The property is beautiful and the people working here have been very nice.

We were allowed to check into our suite today by 11 am which was awesome, the room is spectacular. On three separate occasions now I've had to have something sent up to the room and within 10 minutes my request was met. 30 minutes ago without any expectations or request, room service sent up a goodie plate for my son to recognize his birthday. Reading some of these reviews would make it sound like I must have been struck by lightning to be getting treatment like this. I don't buy it, it's more likely that I've kept my expectations in check, tip well, and haven't acted entitled or rude to the front desk which I've now seen twice as I've walked by. It's amazing how nice people can be when your nice back but I digress....

In any event I'll follow-up with a photo review and update when I check out. Not having the resturant/spa open at the hotel has made zero impact on our stay. The area the hotel is located around has amazing restaurants all over the place and my wife is using the spa/salon tomorrow at the Plaza which is right up the street. Oh and there is a liquor store literally right next door.

Last edited by Tonyr4; May 13, 2021 at 4:39 pm
Old May 13, 2021, 4:58 pm

Programs: Brand loyalty is for suckers

Not my experience at all. For example, we've stayed at the Central Park Ritz on points every year for the last ~10 years or so celebrating a birthday. Service is impeccable (with freebies!), every time.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:05 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Tonyr4
I really don't get all the negativity. I just checked in for a three night stay and so far have been treated exceptionally well. The property is beautiful and the people working here have been very nice.

We were allowed to check into our suite today by 11 am which was awesome, the room is spectacular. On three separate occasions now I've had to have something sent up to the room and within 10 minutes my request was met. 30 minutes ago without any expectations or request, room service sent up a goodie plate for my son to recognize his birthday. Reading some of these reviews would make it sound like I must have been struck by lightning to be getting treatment like this. I don't buy it, it's more likely that I've kept my expectations in check, tip well, and haven't acted entitled or rude to the front desk which I've now seen twice as I've walked by. It's amazing how nice people can be when your nice back but I digress....

In any event I'll follow-up with a photo review and update when I check out. Not having the resturant/spa open at the hotel has made zero impact on our stay. The area the hotel is located around has amazing restaurants all over the place and my wife is using the spa/salon tomorrow at the Plaza which is right up the street. Oh and there is a liquor store literally right next door.
I agree. I've stayed here a handful of times and it's always a pleasure. If I was paying cash I'd probably choose somewhere like the FS Downtown (or the Carlyle if I wanted to be uptown), but on points its a no brainer. The hardware is perfect and the service is way better than what is portrayed here.
RedSun likes this.
Old May 13, 2021, 5:35 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Tonyr4

I agree with this.

What I've seen is that some folks have lofty expectation from this only cat-7 Hyatt property in the US Northeast. Or it is the Hyatt "loyalist" magnet to redeem points and particularly the cat-1-7 paper. Folks do not want to redeem the papers on a cat 5 or cat 6 property. So they go to PHNY again and again. Then complain again and again. Never ending.

I would recommend Hyatt to change its name from Park Hyatt to something like UB. UB does not really have to follow Hyatt standard. That would solve most of the "problems".
Old May 13, 2021, 5:41 pm

Originally Posted by callmedtop
I agree. I've stayed here a handful of times and it's always a pleasure. If I was paying cash I'd probably choose somewhere like the FS Downtown (or the Carlyle if I wanted to be uptown), but on points its a no brainer. The hardware is perfect and the service is way better than what is portrayed here.
The Four Seasons downtown is a stunning property and a little newer but the Park Hyatt's location is substantial better. The Peninsula and Mandarin Oriental are my two favorite hotels in NYC but the PH is right up there though.
Old May 13, 2021, 6:15 pm
Suspended

Just for fair comparison. I believe most of the folks stay at PHNY with points or paper.

Here is the rate at Ritz NYC in Central Park

The cash rates are comparable. But Ritz is 100,000 points and PHNY is Cat-7, which is 30,000 Hyatt points.

The 100,000 Marriott points are worth about $900.
Ritz: no Marriott benefits, no club lounge access, no breakfast, no free parking, no free anything

Hyatt, 30,000. Worth about $600.
PHNY: free breakfast, free 24 hour valet parking.

Now we can see why PHNY has been so popular with the Hyatt loyalists to redeem points or FN papers. You get much more than from Ritz Carlton etc.

St. Regis NYC is even higher.

Originally Posted by OhDoctor
Not my experience at all. For example, we've stayed at the Central Park Ritz on points every year for the last ~10 years or so celebrating a birthday. Service is impeccable (with freebies!), every time.
Ritz Carlton does not hand out any freebies to Marriott loyalists. I hold Ritz Carlton credit card. I'd like to know what freebies Ritz gave to you.
​​​​​​​
59Impala likes this.

Last edited by RedSun; May 13, 2021 at 6:21 pm
Old May 13, 2021, 7:49 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Lol the lively debate still continues before and as the pandemic winds down?
All good hotels mentioned above.Been in most of them over the years
Most long term Hyatt loyalists have an expectation based on their years of staying with Hyatt or other brand
and how they expect to be treated as valued guests at most full service and or luxury properties
Your perception will likely be based on your past experiences with Hyatt Hotels and your status
When you go to the Park Hyatt Sydney or PH Vienna no one says hold on folks the side of potatoes and fruit is extra with the eggs.
Those Park Hyatt's offer in room amenities that are truly special just for showing up.You don't have to be getting married or celebrating an occasion
They get the luxury customer wants a total luxury experience with all the bells and whistles

When the Park Hyatt New York opened its whatever you wanted within reason in a world class dining room.
That's long over the typical PH standard and their once beautiful Back Room
They changed and with that tried cost cutting route as much as they could.Some see that as generous others don't.
For some it works just as is others will clearly be disappointed.All opinions should be respected

The Park Hyatt NYC is the best Hyatt we have in NYC especially as Andaz Wall Street (now temp closed) went downhill long ago
and Andaz 5th Avenue has also slipped but in second place to PH NYC IMO
As long as you know what to expect and can deal with their frugality certainly a nice property and a good choice all things considered .
I'll be back as there are few places to use a category 7 at the end of the day.They have to be used somewhere!
So focusing on the good as much as possible.
I've lost a handful of my favorite properties world wide as the pandemic fades so glad they are hanging in there at this stage of the game.
Hyatt Place doesn't cut it for me or Thompson
ceebee100 likes this.

Last edited by 777 global mile hound; May 13, 2021 at 8:05 pm
Old May 14, 2021, 12:13 am
formerly a193991
Hyatt 5+ BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt LT Globalist; LX SEN (*A Gold), AA LTG, SBB-CFF-FFS First Class GA
Even with the negative comments, I will some day give it a try when travel opens up again. I cannot believe it should be that bad...
strickerj likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.