Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun
I bet most people still go after PHNY and chase the max redemption value. Overall, I still prefer PHNY than Andaz....
Me too. Will chose PHNY every time. Honestly, I don't fully understand the heated debate over it.... if you don't like it don't stay there. I've always liked it - A LOT. Room upgrades aside, it's the best Hyatt Glob Breakfast I've ever had, and the spa area is a dream...
RedSun likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:25 pm
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by txhyattlvr
Me too. Will chose PHNY every time. Honestly, I don't fully understand the heated debate over it.... if you don't like it don't stay there. I've always liked it - A LOT. Room upgrades aside, it's the best Hyatt Glob Breakfast I've ever had, and the spa area is a dream...
Here is the real answer.

The people who hang out here at FT are mostly seasoned people. If you see the people posted often, they have thousands of posts here at FT. Almost all have top hotel elite status and a lot of them are lifetime elites. They earned mostly from years of business travel, plus occasional personal travels. So they take for granted that they are the elites and should be treated like elites or royals.... So the bars (expectations) are high.

But the reality is different. Hotels in US (Hyatt, Marriott and Hilton etc) do not offer the same level of services as offered in other countries (particularly in Asia). It is even worse in large cities like NYC. So there is a big gap of expectation of the elite treatment they used to receive at other hotels vs the reality.

The reality is also that PHNY is still the best Hyatt in US Northeast. Even Andaz 5th Ave is going to be a Cat-7 hotel, not many people are going to redeem the Cat-7 FN at Andaz. There are few alternatives.

So here is the strange love and hate relationship going here. You'll see people complaining the hotel not offering the 5-star world level hotel services. During the mean time, they still redeem the FN paper and points to stay at PHNY..... Going on again and again...
strickerj and txhyattlvr like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:29 pm

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Thanks all; I think I will go for the PHNY then. It won't be til fall though. It looks like there's a possibly decent view of Central Park from the pool/spa floor, and I like the location better anyway. (I've stayed at the GH many years ago and recall being impressed, but I was easy to please back in high school.)
RedSun likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Really? The best globalist breakfast? I mean, I enjoyed the breakfast (I really did) but it's not even close to the best that I've had. It clearly blows any lounge offering out of the water (particularly in the US) but I've had some restaurant breakfasts that were much better.

As far as the room goes -- it's easily the best standard room that I've ever stayed in, on any continent. I did not get a suite upgrade but honestly I didn't care -- the room was great, and better than a lot of "suites" at a lot of other hotels. It was also huge by Manahttan standards.

And re:service -- the fact that they gave me what I paid for and even went above and beyond on the breakfast (providing room service, and covering all fees) puts them ahead of a lot of other hotels.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by strickerj
Thanks all; I think I will go for the PHNY then. It won't be til fall though. It looks like there's a possibly decent view of Central Park from the pool/spa floor, and I like the location better anyway. (I've stayed at the GH many years ago and recall being impressed, but I was easy to please back in high school.)
The pool/spa faces south so no view of the park. However, it’s still a gorgeous glassed in space with nice views of the city. I enjoy laying in there (where it’s always balmy warm) and enjoying the comfy chairs, jacuzzi (with loungers) and steam room while it is 20 degrees outside... bliss. If you like these things don’t miss it!

However you can get a nice view of the park if you go up one floor to the gym as it faces north.
strickerj and RedSun like this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Really? The best globalist breakfast? I mean, I enjoyed the breakfast (I really did) but it's not even close to the best that I've had. It clearly blows any lounge offering out of the water (particularly in the US) but I've had some restaurant breakfasts that were much

Yes, it’s my **personal** favorite breakfast. I particularly enjoyed the fresh made smoothies, French pressed coffee, and Eggs Benedict. My spouse loved the crab omelets.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 4:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, it’s my **personal** favorite breakfast. I particularly enjoyed the fresh made smoothies, French pressed coffee, and Eggs Benedict. My spouse loved the crab omelets.
Hmmm I will have to try the smoothies next time, if they are that good.
Old Feb 13, 2020, 6:25 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

@strickerj

You should try the Japanese breakfast. You won't be disappointed. You can't get it at other hotels.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 5:18 pm

Checked in here today. Was kind of a giant mess. Rooms weren't ready for check-in for a ton of people up to 5:30pm (when my room was finally ready), and the staff wasn't providing any sort of timeline or even being apologetic. Not sure if there was a disproportionate amount of Gloablist 4pm check-outs that day, but people were pissed.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by billybayswater
Checked in here today. Was kind of a giant mess. Rooms weren't ready for check-in for a ton of people up to 5:30pm (when my room was finally ready), and the staff wasn't providing any sort of timeline or even being apologetic. Not sure if there was a disproportionate amount of Gloablist 4pm check-outs that day, but people were pissed.
You should be getting a sizable first night discount or extra points for the delay....
Old Feb 15, 2020, 7:19 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXPPLT, United 1K, *wood PLT, Delta Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Southwest A-list
I am here now and it seemed like there were a bunch of Globalists who had 4pm late check out for Valentines Day. My room was ready at 4pm so I didn’t experience the issues but saw a few people upset about not getting their rooms until later. Got upgraded to a really nice one bedroom suite. Staff has been super great.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by SeeTheLights
I am here now and it seemed like there were a bunch of Globalists who had 4pm late check out for Valentines Day. My room was ready at 4pm so I didn’t experience the issues but saw a few people upset about not getting their rooms until later. Got upgraded to a really nice one bedroom suite. Staff has been super great.
I asked about at the front desk when I left for the night. Apparently a water pipe burst which took out hot water for a ton of rooms, which led to even more than expected amount of Globalist 4pm checkouts (which were already gonna be high due to V day).

I know stuff happens, but it's surprising to see it in such a new building.
Old Feb 15, 2020, 11:15 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

You should be getting a sizable first night discount or extra points for the delay....
I've never asked for or expected compensation in all the decades I've been a program member for a hotel
that is in the process of getting an elite checked out @ 4 PM
and has to clean and prepare the room
Especially when they are going out of their way to upgrade me to a suite or a vip suite.
If I'm in a rush and the hotel is super busy I'll ask for a downgrade or move to the better room or suite on day 2 if possible
Now if I reserved and confirmed an accommodation/suite it and they gave it to someone else that's a whole other story which happened to me over the holiday season
Hyatt has been great to me in the past when bumps in the road have occurred and they seem to make sure I am taken care of
should any reasonable expectation hadn't been met
Old Feb 16, 2020, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by 777 global mile hound
I've never asked for or expected compensation in all the decades I've been a program member for a hotel
that is in the process of getting an elite checked out @ 4 PM
and has to clean and prepare the room
Especially when they are going out of their way to upgrade me to a suite or a vip suite.
If I'm in a rush and the hotel is super busy I'll ask for a downgrade or move to the better room or suite on day 2 if possible
Now if I reserved and confirmed an accommodation/suite it and they gave it to someone else that's a whole other story which happened to me over the holiday season
Hyatt has been great to me in the past when bumps in the road have occurred and they seem to make sure I am taken care of
should any reasonable expectation hadn't been met
Waiting past check in time for an upgrade is one thing. That’s a choice made by the guest.

HOWEVER, not having ANY room available at check in time is a major screw up worthy of compensation to anyone being forced to wait past check in time for whatever room they booked. I get it. Crap happens. But the hotel should be accountable when they can’t deliver (whatever the reason)... hopefully the PH did the right thing for these guests.
strickerj likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2020, 3:29 pm
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Waiting past check in time for an upgrade is one thing. That’s a choice made by the guest.

HOWEVER, not having ANY room available at check in time is a major screw up worthy of compensation to anyone being forced to wait past check in time for whatever room they booked. I get it. Crap happens. But the hotel should be accountable when they can’t deliver (whatever the reason)... hopefully the PH did the right thing for these guests.
Have to remember those words
Agreed in a 5 star they need to do something even if granted a temporary room
True 5 star is suppose to be a defect free experience for the most part by and large
True failures of any kind that make for a bad experience,housekeeping,dining, service etc to some extent should always
have a reasonable gesture made in a 5 star no question there

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.