Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:53 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by joe_miami
The bolded part is silly. This person didn’t find a Cat 1-7 cert on the sidewalk. (One can argue that it’s unwise to keep using Cat 1-7s at a place that yields subpar service, but they’re definitely not free.)
I find your comment silly.

The only reason OP checked in PHNY is because he had a Cat-7 FN in his hand. That alone directed him to go to PNNY even though he did not really like it.

This goes to some discussion we had before. Some people have the Cat-7 FN, but they keep pushing it off again, and hoping to score a stay at at CAT-7 hotel. But they failed and had the FN expired. They never thought that is actually a Cat 1-7 FN. Not a Cat-7 night.

With some of the reviews here at PHNY and also other reviews at FT, people had loftly high expectations on those 5-star hotels. So they think they deserve every bit of it. In their hands, they get a Cat-7 FN and it is worth $750 or $1,300 for suite upgrade. Then they utterly disappointed and they do not feel that they get the $750 experience from it. But they never paid a penny from it and receive free night and food.

Just quite interesting thinking behind it.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 9:58 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hp12c
I addressed this in the review. I don’t even care about the lack of suite upgrades since we only really used the room to sleep. I mentioned it more as a data point.

I’ve given the hotel a pass on previous stays as the service wasn’t as bad as this last time. I actually was excited about this stay, so I didn’t go into it biased. I won’t stay here again, though, so no need to worry about future biased reviews of PHNY.

Id say it’s worth a Cat-7 certificate if the other option is to let it expire, and you don’t have to go out of your way to get to the hotel. Wouldn’t want to miss out on an elite qualifying night!
But you got a Cat 1-7 FN in your hand, not a Cat-7.

Why can't you check in the Andaz, HH, HP in NY that have lower categories? Then I'm sure they would give you upgrades at a Globalist. Then you could be even delighted, and say it exceeded your expectation at HH?
Hydro88 likes this.
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RedSun
...people had loftly high expectations on those 5-star hotels.
Isn’t it reasonable to have high expectations of the supposed flagship Hyatt?
Kacee and joe_miami like this.
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
I find your comment silly.

The only reason OP checked in PHNY is because he had a Cat-7 FN in his hand. That alone directed him to go to PNNY even though he did not really like it.
If the person used 30,000 points instead, would you still say it was “free”?

This goes to some discussion we had before. Some people have the Cat-7 FN, but they keep pushing it off again, and hoping to score a stay at at CAT-7 hotel. But they failed and had the FN expired. They never thought that is actually a Cat 1-7 FN. Not a Cat-7 night.

Most of the reviews here and also other reviews like GH-DC is that, people had high expectations on those 5-star hotels. So they think they deserve every bit of it. In their hands, they get a Cat-7 FN and it is worth $750 or more for suite upgrade. Then they utterly disappointed and they do not feel that they get the $750 experience from it. But they never paid a penny from it and receive free night and food.

Just quiet interesting thinking behind it.
I stayed at ~30 different Hyatts last year, ranging from $50/night HPs in Lat. Am. to $400+/night PHs in Asia, and including a stay at PHNY when rates were around $600/night. Without question, the service at PHNY was less welcoming and more indifferent than at any of the others. There probably wasn’t a close second.

Also, not sure why you keep emphasizing the “free food.” Does PHNY pay more for eggs and breakfast sausage than the Hyatt Place a few miles away? Nobody is making a point of staying at PHNY for the “free food.”
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:01 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
But you got a Cat 1-7 FN in your hand, not a Cat-7.
Correct. So use it at PH if one wants to try it. Or use it at Andaz, and one would likely have just as good if not better experience.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:02 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
@hp12c What amazes me is that, after 3 or 4 failed upgrade attempts, bad experience and the FT reviews here , you still chose to check in to PHNY again. You were already biased before you even had your foot in the door. But apparently you still think there is value from using your Cat-7 free night. Just wonder why you did not choose Andaz and other Hyatt hotels that have better services than at PHNY.

I understand that this is YEMV situation. But apparently any good part of the stay has been omitted. All the bad experience is highlighted.

The only thing I get form your review is that, this PHNY is not worth the $725/night rack price posted. But it is worth the Cat-7 FN since you paid nothing for it, including the free breakfast. So you probably go there again next year, enjoy the free room and free meal, and have the same complaints.
OP stated very clearly in his review that he liked this property on previous stays (and OP's post history in this thread reflects this) and it was this specific visit that changed his opinion. It is not only disrespectful but completely disingenuous to attempt to paint OP as some type of freeloading serial complainer.
Kacee and joe_miami like this.

Last edited by gengar; Feb 10, 2020 at 6:17 pm
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:09 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by hp12c
Isn’t it reasonable to have high expectations of the supposed flagship Hyatt?
This is how I approached things like this. Keep the expectation low and you won't be disappointed like you said. Also, you stayed there 4 times before. And you certainly read all the PNHY FT reviews. And you knowingly check in the same hotel again.

If the person used 30,000 points instead, would you still say it was “free”?

I stayed at ~30 different Hyatts last year, ranging from $50/night HPs in Lat. Am. to $400+/night PHs in Asia, and including a stay at PHNY when rates were around $600/night. Without question, the service at PHNY was less welcoming and more indifferent than at any of the others. There probably wasn’t a close second.

Also, not sure why you keep emphasizing the “free food.” Does PHNY pay more for eggs and breakfast sausage than the Hyatt Place a few miles away? Nobody is making a point of staying at PHNY for the “free food.”
Sure PHNY can disappoint you. Then you can certainly forget it and move on. Why bother to stay there again and again, just because it is one of the 7 Hyatt Cat-7 hotels over the world? Please do not become the salve of those FN certificates.

Originally Posted by gengar
OP stated very clearly in his review that he liked this property on previous stays (and OP's post history in this thread reflects this) and it was this specific visit that changed his opinion. It is not only disrespectful but completely disingenious to attempt to paint OP as some type of freeloading serial complainer.
This is completely baseless. I just tried to understand why people keep check into the hotels they do not like. The only reason I see is that, this is a Cat-7 FN and is near expiring. And he did not want to go to a lower category hotel....
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:20 am
Suspended

This is how I approached things like this. Keep the expectation low and you won't be disappointed like you said. Also, you stayed there 4 times before. And you certainly read all the PNHY FT reviews. And you knowingly check in the same hotel again.
It’s hilarious that you’re telling Hyatt’s best customers that they should walk into Hyatt’s flagship property with their expectations low.

This is completely baseless. I just tried to understand why people keep check into the hotels they do not like. The only reason I see is that, this is a Cat-7 FN and is near expiring. And he did not want to go to a lower category hotel....
Maybe the other hotels were sold out or not accepting awards. Maybe it was a last-minute trip and rates were high in NYC. You sound like a PHNY staffer who sees cert users as a bunch of unwashed cheapskates.
Kacee likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:38 am
Suspended

It’s hilarious that you’re telling Hyatt’s best customers that they should walk into Hyatt’s flagship property with their expectations low.

Maybe the other hotels were sold out or not accepting awards. Maybe it was a last-minute trip and rates were high in NYC. You sound like a PHNY staffer who sees cert users as a bunch of unwashed cheapskates.
This surely sounds like personal attack....

Apparently the OP knowingly booked a "flagship" hotel he was well aware of, just because it is listed as a "flagship" Cat-7 hotel. And OP did not want to waste his Cat-7 FN. It is very clear to me.

I would certainly understand if this is from someone new to FT, never stayed at PHNY, and paid $750 cash for one night. But this is not the situation.....
Old Feb 10, 2020, 10:57 am
Suspended

This surely sounds like personal attack....
Oh, come on.

Apparently the OP knowingly booked a "flagship" hotel he was well aware of, just because it is listed as a "flagship" Cat-7 hotel. Ad OP did not want to waste his Cat-7 FN. It is very clear to me.

I would certainly understand if this is from someone new to FT, never stayed at PHNY, and paid $750 cash for one night. But this is not the situation.....
You’re shifting the goalposts all over the place. As has been pointed out to you already, the OP didn’t claim to have had a string of bad PHNY stays. It seems the OP liked PHNY until this latest stay.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:17 am
Suspended

Oh, come on.

You’re shifting the goalposts all over the place. As has been pointed out to you already, the OP didn’t claim to have had a string of bad PHNY stays. It seems the OP liked PHNY until this latest stay.
You certainly know the way you have been here at FT, Look at all your past verbal fight here with VegasGambler.

So let me know if there is still anything you do not get from my posts. I think I've made it very clear. We've had 127 pages of reviews on this PHNY. So as a knowlegeable Hyatt loyalist, we should be prepared for almost anything. OP knew it really well, that is why he used an expiring Cat 1-7 FN (only good for 6-month), and did not pay out of his pocket. That is why OP still thinks it is worth his FN certificate. So ironic it is...
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:22 am
Suspended

You certainly know the way you have been here at FT, Look at all your past verbal fight here with VegasGambler.

So let me know if there is still anything you do not get from my posts. I think I've made it very clear. We've had 127 pages of reviews on this PHNY. So as a knowlegeable Hyatt loyalist, we should be prepared for almost anything. OP knew it really well, that is why he used an expiring Cat 1-7 FN (only good for 6-month), and did not pay out of his pocket. That is why OP still thinks it is worth his FN certificate. So ironic it is...
You’ve made it clear that you believe the person in question probably wouldn’t have stepped foot inside PHNY if the stay wasn’t “free,” and that such people should probably just be happy with whatever they get. You’re not the victim here.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 11:56 am
Suspended

You’ve made it clear that you believe the person in question probably wouldn’t have stepped foot inside PHNY if the stay wasn’t “free,” and that such people should probably just be happy with whatever they get. You’re not the victim here.
I'm sure OP would not have spent $750 cash out of his pocket with the PHNY stay. Pretty clear to me.

Then OP, like most of us, wanted to "optimize" the (cash) value of FN. With its $750 rack price, PHNY offered the "best" "value" out of the FN. Easy choice....

And no one wants to bother with the lowly HH or HP which offers terrible redemption value of this Cat-7 FN....
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:16 pm
Suspended

I'm sure OP would not have spent $750 cash out of his pocket with the PHNY stay. Pretty clear to me.

Then OP, like most of us, wanted to "optimize" the (cash) value of FN. With its $750 rack price, PHNY offered the "best" "value" out of the FN. Easy choice....

And no one wants to bother with the lowly HH or HP which offers terrible redemption value of this Cat-7 FN....
This doesn’t make any sense. If the OP doesn’t believe PHNY is worth $750/night and would never pay that, then the OP isn’t getting $750/night in value by using a Cat 1-7 cert there.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 12:19 pm

Programs: LH, WoH, Bonvoy, ALL, SH-L
Love the sporadic outbursts in this thread!

To add to the comments, I'm generally unbothered when I perceive the service as indifferent or aloof. I think that the hard product at the PHNY is better than at any of the other Hyatt options (but not better than a few non-Hyatt hotels). Location-wise, I definitely prefer the Andaz but the hardware there is a couple of levels below the PH.
joe_miami and hp12c like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.