Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 2, 2014, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: RedSun
  • Globalist breakfast: one entree, one hot drink, one cold drink (data points since Dec 2018)
  • Available as room service subject to $10 delivery fee
  • Complimentary shoeshine and iron-pressed service for 2 items during your stay, it is available through the ipad.
  • Mercedes benz suv and s class (with wifi) available complimentary for drop off only within 10 blocks north or south from PHNY.
  • Bicycle is available during warmer month.

Hotel lobby on ground floor. Stairs or elevator to 3rd level to reception area for check-in. Separate elevators to guest room from 4th to 23th floors. No 13th and 24th floors. Spa, gym and pool are on top 25th floor.
Print Wikipost

Park Hyatt New York REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 19, 2019, 5:51 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
I'm not sure I buy this argument.

If the WoH program costs them more than it gains them, then why not just leave the program? They don't have to be a Hyatt if they don't want to be.
Actually, they do. Unless something has changed recently, this property is 100% owned by Hyatt.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by skj
Actually, they do. Unless something has changed recently, this property is 100% owned by Hyatt.
They still own it 100%... not that I suspect they want to... I suspect nobody wants to buy it (and have Hyatt manage it).

People think that just because they charge $1000/night (sometimes) that it must be a cash cow. Not necessarily. I think they have costs to match. In my experience, they are almost never full (tons of open room categories for sale). The full service restaurant failed repeatedly (probably at least partially due to occupancy rates). There is a lot of staff turnover (never a sign of a successful operation). And, of course, there are the reports of frugality in terms of Globalist benefits (even if I've personally never experienced that). I have, however, personally experienced some service issues and seen evidence of cost cutting.

So what to conclude? They are in the widely "mocked" Billionaire Tower which probably has astronomical (even by NYC standards) costs AND they have tons of luxury property competition all across the city. They deal in a lot of WOH points redemptions which aren't nearly as lucrative as someone who shells out $1K a night at competing non-aligned (no real loyalty program) properties like Four Seasons, YET they are trying to offer a competitive product to those properties.

I doubt PHNY loses money (although I wouldn't be shocked if it did) - but I highly doubt it's a very lucrative property for Hyatt. There's a reason why the chains are focused on limited service: they make lots of money on the lower end...
Old Apr 23, 2019, 5:12 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Recently had a stay here - just wanted to add a data point that breakfast for Globs was stated as one entree, one hot drink, and one cold drink - which matches a data point from Dec 2018. Room service is still available for the Glob credit, subject to delivery fees. Will update the wiki.

Service was particularly appalling this time (which says a lot). Highlight was getting an express laundry back a full 24 hours after the guaranteed return time, during which I contacted staff 5 times about the issue and I guess no one could be bothered to figure it out - and they didn't offer to comp even the express surcharge. Honestly not sure this property is even worth 30k/night. Guess it should be no surprise they're offering 3rd night free promos even on their own website.

At least they did not hassle me about late checkout, but the property was at low occupancy.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 6:52 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by gengar
Recently had a stay here - just wanted to add a data point that breakfast for Globs was stated as one entree, one hot drink, and one cold drink - which matches a data point from Dec 2018. Room service is still available for the Glob credit, subject to delivery fees. Will update the wiki.

Service was particularly appalling this time (which says a lot). Highlight was getting an express laundry back a full 24 hours after the guaranteed return time, during which I contacted staff 5 times about the issue and I guess no one could be bothered to figure it out - and they didn't offer to comp even the express surcharge. Honestly not sure this property is even worth 30k/night. Guess it should be no surprise they're offering 3rd night free promos even on their own website.

At least they did not hassle me about late checkout, but the property was at low occupancy.
Thanks for reporting another dismal stay at the PHNY!

There are many apologists for this property on this thread and even more critics (I’m one of them) but I believe that our criticisms are fair & justified (like in your case).

So sad that pathetic property is Hyatt’s flagship in NYC. I won’t even burn my Globalist free night on it.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 7:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by sapguy

Thanks for reporting another dismal stay at the PHNY!

There are many apologists for this property on this thread and even more critics (I’m one of them) but I believe that our criticisms are fair & justified (like in your case).

So sad that pathetic property is Hyatt’s flagship in NYC. I won’t even burn my Globalist free night on it.
Flagship for the Americas too...
Old Apr 23, 2019, 9:57 am
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
No, flagship, period. For the whole Hyatt brand.
Old May 5, 2019, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'm about to check out of my first stay at this hotel -- 1 night, using a cat 1-7 cert. They said I was upgraded to a deluxe room (there is no deluxe room listed in the hotel description so I'm not sure what that means -- I guess there is a wide range of room sizes possible for the standard room though). Anyway the hotel was sold out and the room is great (21st floor city view for those who care about view -- I don't). Very large, and I love the bed (I slept very well) and bathroom. So I definitely have no complaints.

After a late night out last night I slept in so I did the room service breakfast. 57th street breakfast was good but small. I wasn't too hungry so I was happy with it but it's definitely not worth $45. It's basically a diner style breakfast and there are lots of great diners in this area where your can get similar quality and larger portions for half the price. No complains about the food quality though -- it was very good. My soft poached eggs were, indeed, soft poached.

Overall, I'm very happy with this hotel. Whether I'd spend $1000/night to stay here is a different question (probably not) but at 30k pts this place is currently the front-runner for my go-to NY Hyatt (30k pts is still in the $600/night range, which is high, but given the prices and quality of the other Manhattan Hyatts I've stayed in, it's definitely the front runner. I'd pay $600 here before $350 at the GH in a heartbeat) I will have to try the Andaz 5th Av. and the Parker across the street before I make my decision -- I'm still hoping to find somewhere that is good quality at a somwhat lower price.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:27 am

Programs: AS MVP, AA EXP - 1MM, BAEC BRZ, BVY GLD, Hilton DIA, Hyatt GLB
So if not here where? Which is the best hyatt property in NYC hands down for Globalist? Forget location for a second, which property is best?

I have a booking here for 2 nights for a weekend, and reading through this thread, not sure if I should just change to another location. Used points and cert.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:35 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Diamond
The PH NY is the best Hyatt property in NYC, bar none. The Andaz is a great property but is simply not on the same playing field. And this is even with the service-related shortcomings of the PH NY. The hard product is leaps and bounds better than anything else.
Old May 6, 2019, 10:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
This is the best Hyatt property in NYC, flawed though it is. Second would probably be Andaz 5th or Centric Times Square.

That's not counting the new Thompson properties. I've stayed at the Beekman and it's not bad at all.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by KL808
So if not here where? Which is the best hyatt property in NYC hands down for Globalist? Forget location for a second, which property is best?

I have a booking here for 2 nights for a weekend, and reading through this thread, not sure if I should just change to another location. Used points and cert.
So it's definitely worth using the Cat 7 certificate here.

And, if we are talking points (as you are), then, yeah, I agree with the others that it is better than the other options. For example, Andaz 5th Avenue is a very good property, but I would always pay 30,000 points at the Park Hyatt rather than 25,000 at the Andaz Fifth Avenue. It is surely a 20% better property.

But is it 100% or more better? Not in my view. If we are talking cash, I would never pay the Park Hyatt rates as opposed to sub-$300 at Andaz Fifth Avenue. Or even sub-$400, although at those prices my eyes start heading further down the Hyatt food chain.

Similar comments obtain if we substitute other properties and points and prices for those at Andaz Fifth Avenue.
Old May 6, 2019, 12:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KL808

It's clearly the best out of all the properties in NY that I've stayed in, but I've only tried a few.

By the way I had no issues at all with the service (though I did not ask for much). I thought that allowing room service for the breakfast benefit (including delivery fee -- my folio was $0 when I checked out) is a nice touch -- it's above and beyond what is required. Although next time I really want to eat at the restaurant -- it looked like a fun vibe (they had live music). I definitely feel like I got good value for my cert -- no regrets; I would not change anything.
Old May 6, 2019, 1:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Spire, Hilton Gold
... Although next time I really want to eat at the restaurant -- it looked like a fun vibe (they had live music). I definitely feel like I got good value for my cert -- no regrets; I would not change anything.
There's a restaurant at PHNY again?
Old May 6, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by joe_miami
There's a restaurant at PHNY again?
The place where they serve the breakfast. Is that not a restaurant?
Old May 6, 2019, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

The place where they serve the breakfast. Is that not a restaurant?
Not one bit. It's barely even a bar.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.