Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Best Domestic Property for Long Weekend w/ Wife?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2014, 8:58 am
Original Poster

I am looking for somewhere to go in the con US for a long weekend in late September. I have numerous Hyatt points, as well as one more free night cert. Ideally we would be looking at 3 nights at the property and will be celebrating our anniversary, so something romantic is preferred.

We like good local dining, outdoor activities, beaches and mountains...basically I'm open to just about anything. At this point I am just looking for some suggestions from others who may have made similar trips. I already had reservations to do a week in Aruba, but I don't think we can swing the timing this year, hence the search for a long weekend destination.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:02 am
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

Since you're not looking at cities, the one that pops into my mind is Carmel.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by peteropny
Since you're not looking at cities, the one that pops into my mind is Carmel.
I should have mentioned it originally, but I looked there and they didn't have availability the last week of September for points redemptions.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 10:12 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
Too bad about the Highlands Inn - that would have been my first suggestion as well. How about the Andaz in Napa?
Old Aug 12, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
I would recommend the Tamaya outside Albuquerque, which offers everything you're looking for except a beach. Weather should be nice; not hot but sunny and warm, and crisp and comfortable at night.

I stayed there a lot several years ago, haven't been back since unfortunately, but the solid reports here have kept coming. You can walk or go horseback riding, or, my favorite activity, sitting outside by the fire pit with my drink at sundown.

I found the food at the hotel not the best (others have posted more positive opinions), but Albuquerque has some great food. Try Sadie's or, for a bit more upscale venue closer to the hotel, El Pinto.

You could also do a day trip or spend one night in Santa Fe, about an hour drive.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:19 pm
Community Director Emerita

Besides the Carmel Highlands, I like:

- Park Hyatt Washington DC
- Park Hyatt Chicago
- Hyatt Regency Lost Pines - great resort property, extensive activities, access to the bounty of barbecue places that surround Austin
- Clearwater Hyatt - on beach in Clearwater, lots of great museums in Tampa such as Chihuly and Dali
- Hyatt Place Portland, Maine - I have yet to go and don't expect the property itself to be exceptional, but I love lobster and coastal Maine. There should be fall colors by late Sept.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. Unfortunately Napa has no reward availability the last weekend of September. The Lost Pines property in Austin looks right up our alley (she is from Texas, but we have never been to Austin), but unfortunately the hotel appears to have zero availability (points or paid stay). I'm just striking out everywhere...

I had added Clearwater to my list earlier today, so that is a possibility.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat
I know you said continental US, but depending on where you are based, the Andaz in Costa Rica might be a good bet as well (plenty of award availability, and right by the water).
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Quasiconvexity
I know you said continental US, but depending on where you are based, the Andaz in Costa Rica might be a good bet as well (plenty of award availability, and right by the water).
+1.

Fair should be lower at this time. It's close enough that it takes the same amount of time or less than a transcontinental flight. I went here for a long weekend from Chicago and was able o squeeze in a tour, hit the pool and beach club. Great use of a DSU to an 1100SF suite. The resort is stunning with high end fixtures.

It will be Costa Rica rainy season, so do check the amt of rainfall (though this region gets less rain. Would also recommend Hep A/thyphoid immunization a month before. (This may be too much for a long weekend...I would do it because I love the place but it is not for everyone.)

PH Washington: love it here also but do not know the surrounding activities you are interest in.

PH Chicago: Lake is close by. There is a small beach along the lake (but may be too cold late Sept.) Great place to run, bike (can rent), rollerblade (unsure whether this can be rented) along the lake. When I lived there, used to have volunteers along the lake handing out water/Gaterade to everyone training for the marathon.

Last edited by thucanhho; Aug 12, 2014 at 5:01 pm
Old Aug 12, 2014, 4:55 pm

Tahoe? Mountains, lake, beauty.

Park city - mountains, great weather in Sept, great food, town, etc

I wouldn't do lost pines in Sept - it will still be pretty hot here.

Hyatt in Clearwater is nice for the beach.
Old Aug 13, 2014, 6:47 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hyatt
Stayed at the Hyatt Regency Coconut Point Resort in Bonita Springs, FL for a few nights this past May. Beautiful property, though not directly on the beach, they offer a free ferry ride to their island. Saw dolphins from the ferry almost every time.
Old Aug 14, 2014, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

We have already done Costa Rica and I agree, it is a great place. We are wanting to stay in the con-US so I can use Southwest points and CP. Right now one of the Florida properties looks like our best bet. Thanks for all the the suggestions!
Old Jul 20, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HH Lifetime Diamond, Hyatt Diamond, Marrriott Silver, SPG, National Exec Elite
Clearwater Hyatt

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
Besides the Carmel Highlands, I like:

- Park Hyatt Washington DC
- Park Hyatt Chicago
- Hyatt Regency Lost Pines - great resort property, extensive activities, access to the bounty of barbecue places that surround Austin
- Clearwater Hyatt - on beach in Clearwater, lots of great museums in Tampa such as Chihuly and Dali
- Hyatt Place Portland, Maine - I have yet to go and don't expect the property itself to be exceptional, but I love lobster and coastal Maine. There should be fall colors by late Sept.
saw this older post and had to comment. I live in Orlando area, and the Hyatt Cypress by Disneyworld is excellent.

I would not stay at the Clearwater Hyatt. I was in Tampa this past weekend, And drove by the Clearwater property, as I was planning on doing a long weekend later this fall. So,glad I did - besides being a very congested area, there is a large construction project going on directly next to the hotel. While an eyesore, the noise would be an issue for us. You can't tell that from looking at the hotel photo, they must have photo-shopped out the hotel under construction, but it's literally right there adjacent.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by bmrisko
I am looking for somewhere to go in the con US for a long weekend in late September. I have numerous Hyatt points, as well as one more free night cert. Ideally we would be looking at 3 nights at the property and will be celebrating our anniversary, so something romantic is preferred.

We like good local dining, outdoor activities, beaches and mountains...basically I'm open to just about anything. At this point I am just looking for some suggestions from others who may have made similar trips. I already had reservations to do a week in Aruba, but I don't think we can swing the timing this year, hence the search for a long weekend destination.
having just finished a stay at the Hyatt Regency Hill Country, I would have to say that the property is as good if not better than Lost Pines. If Lost Pines doesn't have availability please check Hill Country. It's only 30 min out of San Antonio has a great pool with a sand "beach" and you also have access to the Hyatt Wild Oak Ranch.
Old Jul 20, 2015, 11:13 pm

Location: SPG Lifetime Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold:AA Plat, Now retired but previous NWA PLAT 2 Million +, United 1K plus etc etc
Hyatt Tamaya Resort NM. Great hotel, fine dining restaurant, fab spa, golf course, horseback riding, hot air ballon rides, evening entertainment. Separate adult pool.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.