Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach Residence Club REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Hyatt Ka'anapali Beach Residence Club REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Mar 9, 2019, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by josephstern
While I agree with you 100%, what explains that people with a pretty substantial amount of cash are, in fact, buying these?

I stayed here once (and paid a small fortune - it was over Thanksgiving and no offers could be used) and many people I met who seemed otherwise intelligent had bought these, and were very, very proud of their "owner" perks (I forget what those were, but I think maybe reserved loungers with special towels or something).
Unfortunately being good at math does not necessarily translate to being rich (I know lots of math profs) and the converse is even less true. Lots of people who have lots of money can't do very simple analysis like this. There are a lot of ways to make money in the world.

TL;DR: "smart" does not equal "rich"
Old Mar 10, 2019, 8:47 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Having sat through one of these presentations, they didn't hassle me afterwards, except for a few emails to see if I had reconsidered.

As to the basic arithmetic, I'm totally with you. Why should I pay $50k for the privilege of paying $3k for my vacation lodging, when I can already pay $3k without having to also pay the $50k?
bbbb likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:40 am

We did the timeshare deal here a few years ago for $1,500 for 5 nights in the 2 bed/2 bath. It was the only timeshare presentation I've ever done, and while not something I would frequently do, I didn't think it was too bad. No hassles from anyone outside of the presentation. I just received the offer again this week which is even better this time - $1,000, plus a rental car, for the same 2 bed/2 bath. We will likely make the down payment and hopefully make a trip work.

Based on the terms in my email, the $500 down payment is clearly non-refundable.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:04 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by seaduck79
As to the basic arithmetic, I'm totally with you. Why should I pay $50k for the privilege of paying $3k for my vacation lodging, when I can already pay $3k without having to also pay the $50k?
The target customer appears to be folks who don't want to buy their own "vacation property" and deal with the hassles of full ownership, but still want to enjoy regular holidays at a premium property. You'd be hard-pressed to find a regular hotel or rental property with comparable amenities as here for $3k/week for a 2-bed unit. Much of the $50k amount can be recouped in the resale market.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by groovbusta
.........Much of the $50k amount can be recouped in the resale market.
Are you sure about that?
bbbb and soartoday like this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 7:39 am

Programs: Hyatt, Marriott, Delta, Alaska
Originally Posted by groovbusta
The target customer appears to be folks who don't want to buy their own "vacation property" and deal with the hassles of full ownership, but still want to enjoy regular holidays at a premium property. You'd be hard-pressed to find a regular hotel or rental property with comparable amenities as here for $3k/week for a 2-bed unit. Much of the $50k amount can be recouped in the resale market.
Hyatt Kaanapali Beach Residence Club resales

The numbers at ^^that link^^ seem to suggest otherwise. The aftermarket reflects the true market value.
soartoday likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 8:03 am

The numbers at ^^that link^^ seem to suggest otherwise. The aftermarket reflects the true market value.
If the $50K price is what an annual timeshare there costs, then your link shows that the OP is possibly right.

The big question here is, what are they actually selling for? The link just shows asking prices.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 9:32 am

Can someone refer me to an offer here or should I just directly reach out?
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:11 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
If I remember correctly, they were asking about $40k for a 2/2 unit, floating week, every other year use. I'd be curious to see the resale market after 10 or 20 years, although I don't think buyers are expecting to get all their investment back. They are buying access, which could be considered an expense, to the property, rather than making an investment expecting a monetary return.
Old Mar 11, 2019, 10:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Having sat through one of these presentations, they didn't hassle me afterwards, except for a few emails to see if I had reconsidered.

Exactly. My parents bought 3 of these things before I convinced them that they could just get a suite at a hotel for what they were paying in "maintenance costs". For some reason they seemed to think that the downpayment was not a sunk cost and they could re-sell the timeshares. They finally understood that these things don't just sell themselves at that price -- they require a lot of work from salespeople earning fat commissions. The property will buy them back, but it's at pennies on the dollar.

What also gets ignored is the cost of making the investment. A quick web search shows that a 10-year CD yields well over 3% annually. Depending in your income and your state, that is probably 2% after tax return for most people. So you can add another $1,000 / year in hidden costs to the maintenance fees.
seaduck79 and groovbusta like this.

Last edited by VegasGambler; Mar 11, 2019 at 10:10 pm
Old Apr 11, 2019, 10:43 am

I am interested in trying out a timeshare deal at this property. Would someone be able to send me a referral?
Old Jun 12, 2019, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Got a $995 5-nights +10k Hyatt points offer. Wife is interested (and 100% sure she wont fall for the presentation); might take another family member for the 2nd bedroom. Couple of questions:

- would the additional (adult) family member have to go to the presentation?

- I have no desire to plunk down $995 and then later try to find a time slot where they have availability, we all can go, and air fares are reasonable. How limited are the available time slots for these offers? (outside extreme high demand holiday weeks when we wouldnt want to go due to high airfares)
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by notquiteaff
- I have no desire to plunk down $995 and then later try to find a time slot where they have availability, we all can go, and air fares are reasonable. How limited are the available time slots for these offers? (outside extreme high demand holiday weeks when we wouldnt want to go due to high airfares)
I received the offer email today. When clicking through to find availability, it says it is not available to book dates online and must call. I received the same offer back in March, and the only dates available back then when calling was a single week in April.

So don't hold your breath. But please report back if they report open availability, as the offer says you have 12 months to use it.
notquiteaff likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2019, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by dprocuk
I received the offer email today. When clicking through to find availability, it says it is not available to book dates online and must call. I received the same offer back in March, and the only dates available back then when calling was a single week in April.

So don't hold your breath. But please report back if they report open availability, as the offer says you have 12 months to use it.
Thanks. Yes, I have 12 months to use it, but I would have to purchase by June 25, 2019. I will call them later today to see what dates they have available, but I will only buy if I can make a guaranteed booking at the same time.
bbbb likes this.
Old Jun 13, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: Alaska Mileage Plan, Bonvoy, World of Hyatt
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
Got a $995 5-nights +10k Hyatt points offer. Wife is interested (and 100% sure she won’t fall for the presentation); might take another family member for the 2nd bedroom. Couple of questions:

- would the additional (adult) family member have to go to the presentation?

- I have no desire to plunk down $995 and then later try to find a time slot where they have availability, we all can go, and air fares are reasonable. How limited are the available time slots for these offers? (outside extreme high demand holiday weeks when we wouldn’t want to go due to high airfares)
Also received the emailed offer yesterday. I called and the rep said there was availability in the first week of December 2019 and all of May and June 2020. I booked a 5-night stay in June. I didn't ask about availability this summer or fall.

Additional adults do not have to attend the presentation (I asked), but your spouse must attend.
notquiteaff likes this.

Last edited by issyg67; Jun 13, 2019 at 12:34 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.