Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Mindblown by Hyatt's policy (No retroactive on challenge dates)

Mindblown by Hyatt's policy (No retroactive on challenge dates)

Old Jul 11, 14, 10:33 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
So since I barely stay at hotels annually other than a full week at HKG every summer, which program should I look into?
Honestly, if you only stay in hotels one week a year, why bother with status/a programme?
Old Jul 11, 14, 10:43 am

Programs: AA PLT, DL GM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac View Post
Honestly, if you only stay in hotels one week a year, why bother with status/a programme?
Because he/she sounds like a CC churner who wants everything for nothing.

I wouldn't ever be able to even make it to the 25 or 50 qualifying stays a year but am a high CC spender (so I get a bit of perks)
If most of that spend isn't manufactured, he/she could probably afford to drop a little extra for everything that status provides.
Old Jul 11, 14, 11:12 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA&Mariott Plat Prem.
Originally Posted by Stewie Mac View Post
I actually stay in hotels for about 20 nights annually in 5-10 diferent stays.
I normally use Priceline for all the hotels I stay in but recently figure this route would be a better way to go if I had Diamond.

Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
Suggestion is to consider why they would even offer a challenge... I'm just guessing here, but cheap freeloaders like you probably aren't the target audience.

Mindblowing that someone would even consider complaining about such a generous offer that hardly requires a thing to qualify for.
Very true, it's the last part I haven't been able to accomplish.......

Originally Posted by lawyertalk View Post
Because he/she sounds like a CC churner who wants everything for nothing.
If most of that spend isn't manufactured, he/she could probably afford to drop a little extra for everything that status provides.
I'm more into the Diamond room upgrades and Breakfast if avail.
Not too concern about late check-out as I tend to be out by 10am normally.
Old Jul 11, 14, 1:11 pm

Programs: AA,UA/CO, SPG50, Hilton Gold
Is this thread meant to be a joke or is op Hillary from travel sort ?
Old Jul 11, 14, 8:05 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
While I understand the OP's disappointed, I really do think that it's his/her own fault for not reading and planning responsibly. You won't find any program out there that will do retroactive, and it's a bit of a sense of entitlement to think that they should. Why would any company change clearly defined rules for an individual (unless the person is worth a lot of revenue). And in that case, they have other avenues and won't be doing a challenge/match like this.

Good luck OP. Not sure what you plan on doing but taking your business elsewhere because of your own mistake on a promo that is already giving you a break is truly over entitled. Saying your mind is blown due to your own mistake is ridiculous. The suggestion is just suck it up and do what everyone else has to do.
Old Jul 11, 14, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld View Post
You won't find any program out there that will do retroactive, and it's a bit of a sense of entitlement to think that they should.
Although not a hotel program, American Airlines will backdate a challenge up to two weeks for elite status. That involves accruing a certain amount of points over a 90 day period.
Old Jul 11, 14, 10:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Although not a hotel program, American Airlines will backdate a challenge up to two weeks for elite status. That involves accruing a certain amount of points over a 90 day period.
That's where I'm getting the concept from because I actually can stay 12 nights.

Many other programs out there back log.

Unfortunately I didn't know of this status challenge.
Old Jul 11, 14, 11:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by tom911 View Post
Backdating up to 14 days is a nice gesture for a 90 day trial; but from what I read of the OP, s/he mentioned 5/28, and posted here yesterday ("recently just found out"), so that's at least over 30 plus days . The trial period is 60 days, so in essence, that's around a 30 day backdate on a 60 day trial. A bit excessive I think.

I'd be interested in knowing of any other hotel or airline challenges/matches that allow backdating; it seems to defeat the purpose.

But I think what got me to chime in here is the "mindblown" comment. I honestly would not give it much thought if it was one of the myriad of low level complaints found on FT; but to describe it in a way that seems so wronged or outrageous, when in reality, are standard rules, was a bit much.
Old Jul 11, 14, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card, Amanjunkie, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Bacopa View Post
Is this thread meant to be a joke or is op Hillary from travel sort ?
Exactly. OP's expectations are out of whack.
Old Jul 12, 14, 11:32 am
Original Poster

Not exactly yesterday, I found out 2 days I got back after staying 7 days.

I really like Hyatt, would have been interested into getting Diamond perks.

But for a future status match, which program should I look into since i"d be starting @ 0?

I've considered SPG and Hyatt for a future push.
Old Jul 12, 14, 11:42 am

Not exactly yesterday, I found out 2 days I got back after staying 7 days.

I really like Hyatt, would have been interested into getting Diamond perks.

But for a future status match, which program should I look into since i"d be starting @ 0?

I've considered SPG and Hyatt for a future push.
Um, if you like Hyatt properties and want Diamond status, why don't you just stay there and earn it.
Old Jul 12, 14, 11:48 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by speedytimmy View Post
Um, if you like Hyatt properties and want Diamond status, why don't you just stay there and earn it.
Because I would never be able to accumulate 50 nights.

Just like I get Plat for staying less than 25 nights per year.
Old Jul 12, 14, 11:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by speedytimmy View Post
Simply a case of an incomplete question (after first ranting about the challenge)....

What the question really is: How can I get as much free extras without having a significant number of stays?

And the answers will be the same as in many, many other threads: credit cards for status (with a competitor), starting the challenge just before your stay and using the DSU's a.s.a.p. before it's clear you won't qualify for the challenge, etc.

Last edited by RTW1; Jul 12, 14 at 11:57 am
Old Jul 12, 14, 7:02 pm

So I recently just found out Hyatt could do the status match and gives you 60 days of a "trial period".

Little did I know, the 7 nights I was staying at one location was actually really critical to completing the 12 night challenge. Not to mention have a suite upgrade of 7 nights would have been nice

I contacted Gold Passport and they said the status challenge will only start after you intitate it and cannot have it count for the nights you already stayed prior to the initiation.

So if I started the status match on 5/28 , I would only have to book 3 dummy nights locally by 7/28 to get Hyatt Diamond.

But Hyatt said no and is not willing to

Any suggestions? (Other than take my business elsewhere of course
Why should they bend the rules, especially in this case where it appears that you might be trying to game the system, so that you can possibly get a suite upgrade, and may never again step foot into a Hyatt property.

IMHO there are too many Diamonds who have used various promotions to get to the top tier, at the expense of those of us who have been participating in the GP program for one or more decades.

BTW, the likelihood of being upgraded to a suite for up to seven nights is slim to none.
Old Jul 12, 14, 7:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, Cocos Gold
Originally Posted by uneeq View Post
If anything, it's mindblowing that you expect Hyatt to do this when you didn't look into it yourself. Hyatt already has a very generous policy and HGP are some of the best around.

Try waiting until next year if you aren't going to be staying anywhere until next summer in HKG.
+1

My mind is blown that the OP thinks that they are clearly in the right here.

Search this Thread