Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

points and cash, charged extra$50 for 3rd person?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Platinum

I checked into the ght last night under a points+cash reservation. A few days ago I had the hyatt phone agent add a third person to our reservation. I wasn't informed there would be any change to the cash side of points+cash, instead I believe I mightve been told it wouldn't make a difference. However, upon checkin I was told that I was being charged an extra $50/night! Any advice here? Anyone encountered this before?
Thanks!
Old Jun 20, 2014, 9:57 am

usually in asia there's an extra charge to the room rate for 3rd person. (I may be wrong so experts please correct). Some hotels have a different rate for single vs double occupancy too, so I wouldn't be surprised at this.
It's worth a call to GP CS.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:09 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Pretty common worldwide for there to be a fee. If you had asked, I presume that the agent would have told you.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

From the Hyatt GP T&C for points+cash:

Points + Cash awards are subject to availability and reservations using these awards must be made in advance by calling a Hyatt Worldwide Reservation Center. Member must pay the Points + Cash rate and redeem required point value to redeem award. Room rate is based on double occupancy and standard guestroom accommodations, unless otherwise noted.

So if the rate was higher for 3 guests than it was for 2, then there is not much that can be done about it. It sure would have been helpful if the booking agent had mentioned it at the time of booking. But when you add an extra at a later date it's not a realistic expectation that an agent looks at the reservation and figures out that it's at a property that might charge based on occupancy since that is not exactly the standard. That's your responsibility. I'm sure that if you had made the booking for 3 to start with the correct cash portion would have been in your reservation.....

And had you booked with cash then your charge would also have been $50 for that 3rd person. So you still got the same good deal as when you initially booked (for 2).

Last edited by RTW1; Jun 20, 2014 at 10:47 am
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: IC Dia, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Gold, Star Alliance Gold, Emirates Gold, BA Gold
He is right.

The question is. What have you paid for your night for 3 people?

P&C is a good deal in many properties, not all but many.

$50 does not seem excessive but depends on what the return is.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:29 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by dewby
$50 does not seem excessive but depends on what the return is.
Normally the return is nothing.... just that an extra person is allowed to stay in the room.

In most countries we are so used that the rate is for the room that a lot of us have a problem accepting that some countries and properties charge depending on the occupancy. As a single traveler you pay less, and normally get exactly the same room as well. But that's how it works in some places.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 4:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, SPG Platinum
For the grand hyatt Tokyo it's now 200+12.5k points
I didn't see that occupancy disclaimer. Thanks.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by hgeek23
I guess you meant what you ended up paying for 3 people. What was the cheapest cash rate?

-David

Last edited by LIH Prem; Jun 20, 2014 at 10:56 pm
Old Jun 21, 2014, 12:23 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hgeek23
I didn't see that occupancy disclaimer. Thanks.
P&C is for a standard room. GH Tokyo does not allow 3 adults in a standard room. They do allow 2 adults and 1 child (younger than 12 yr) in a standard room at no additional charge. The charge for a 3rd adult in a Deluxe room (and also for a 2nd adult in a standard room; no extra charge for 1 adult + 1 child) is „5000.

Not sure where you would want to see an "occupancy disclaimer". The agent just plugs the variables into the booking engine and it generates the rate. In this case, if you change from 2 adults to 3 adults, it should have automatically moved you to a deluxe room (which is generous, since the P&C rate is only for a standard room) and added the „5000 additional charge.

It is unfortunate that the agent did not tell you, and I find it even more unfortunate that you did not receive a "reservation change" email with the new rate (chalk that up to Hyatt's world-class IT).

However, if the T&C were strictly followed, you should not have been able to even book a room for 3 adults at GH Tokyo using a P&C rate, so maybe it was all for the best for you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.