Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hotel lying about availability so you can't use points

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel lying about availability so you can't use points

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Location: Born and raised in South Carolina, now in New York City.
Originally Posted by Mary2e
Well, good luck. I certainly don't understand your comment. I have no problem with hotels having blackout dates during periods of high demand. The award availability is far better with Hyatt than most other major chains. I guess you didn't check or know first. Or, you transferred some of your UR points before checking for availability and now your upset.

I'm sorry and truly do hope it works out for you or all the MS was in vain Better yet, plan to use them somewhere else that's nicer!

A bit of advise - I never make plans before I have my room secured, or most of the nights secured, if I'm using points.
Thanks for your concern but I know what I'm doing. I haven't booked anything yet. I have also checked with several B&Bs where I've stayed before and they have reasonable rates for that weekend.

I'm not sure what part of what I'm saying is difficult to understand. The program's term and conditions states that award nights on the standard room rate aren't subject to blackout dates. Clearly the hotel is imposing blackout dates. I realize that you have accepted that the terms and conditions and reality are different, I disagree that this should be the case. Either change the terms and conditions or follow it, it's not hard.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
None of what you're saying is difficult to understand. I've try to explain to you how it works. I accept it, and honestly, wouldn't expect any different from any hotel. If the hotel wanted to, they could just pull standard award availability between now and the time customer service gets back to you and you'll be in the same place. There's nothing available online and the GM's email probably won't get you far either.

It's good you were able to find a B&B for a reasonable rate, because I really don't think you're going to win this one.

Keep in mind that we hear about this all the time - hotels simply don't offer standard rooms at all so people cannot redeem rewards.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

I wouldn't even try to get any hotel on points during a period of high demand. We see it happen most often on NYE.
The award availability is far better with Hyatt than most other major chains.
Just for ..... and giggles I looked up hotels in New York on NYE. Both Hilton and Starwood have hotels available in Manhattan available for 1 night stays over NYE with points, Hyatt has none.

Last edited by saranyc; Jun 20, 2014 at 1:02 pm
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:00 pm
Original Poster

None of what you're saying is difficult to understand. I've try to explain to you how it works. I accept it, and honestly, wouldn't expect any different from any hotel. If the hotel wanted to, they could just pull standard award availability between now and the time customer service gets back to you and you'll be in the same place. There's nothing available online and the GM's email probably won't get you far either.

It's good you were able to find a B&B for a reasonable rate, because I really don't think you're going to win this one.

Keep in mind that we hear about this all the time - hotels simply don't offer standard rooms at all so people cannot redeem rewards.
You keep saying that they can pull standard award availability between now and the time customer service gets back to me. I guess that's true, they can choose not to sell standard rooms...

But Hyatt can realize that they are doing this. I can create another email address with another name and in a month they would no doubt show me the same rate for the standard room for the hotel. Hyatt knows this. Again, they are clearly not following the terms and conditions. It's sad that you just accept this... but again we can agree to disagree.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:07 pm

I just checked Hilton for this NYE for a 1 night stay - any hilton in the city. There are 2 available, none of them anywhere near times square. Both for $$$ and one is available for 70k points for 1 night, which I believe is double the amount required. It may be a doubletree.

Hyatt does have one or two available for a 1 night stay at the princely sum of nearly $900 for a Hyatt place on W. 36th street in the heart of the garment district. You can get the Grand Hyatt or other regular Hyatts for the lower point rate for a 2 night stay - or pay $598 per night. I had 2 nights booked on points a few years ago that I never ended up using.

I get that you're disappointed, but I'm only trying to be helpful and make you understand how the program works.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:10 pm
Original Poster

I get that you're disappointed, but I'm only trying to be helpful and make you understand how the program works.
I like how you didn't mention Starwood at all...

And I'm trying to make you understand that the program should follow the terms and conditions or change the terms and conditions.

Your no longer being helpful... we're just going around in circles...
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by saranyc
You keep saying that they can pull standard award availability between now and the time customer service gets back to me. I guess that's true, they can choose not to sell standard rooms...

But Hyatt can realize that they are doing this. I can create another email address with another name and in a month they would no doubt show me the same rate for the standard room for the hotel. Hyatt knows this. Again, they are clearly not following the terms and conditions. It's sad that you just accept this... but again we can agree to disagree.
You said yourself there is nothing available online. That is their out. They're not the first hotel to do this nor will they be the last. What will happen is that standard availability will be pulled and listed as some other category, even to those who write or call the hotel.

Overall, I am very happy with Hyatt and the program. It's one of the best out there for redemtions and treatment of their status customers. I can live with the these very few quirks with properties.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by saranyc
I like how you didn't mention Starwood at all...

And I'm trying to make you understand that the program should follow the terms and conditions or change the terms and conditions.

Your no longer being helpful... we're just going around in circles...
That's because I didn't look. I'm working and responding to you.

I'm sorry if you don't like my answers and consider them unhelpful. I'll leave you to your battle with customer service.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:13 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I have no problem with hotels having blackout dates during periods of high demand..
I personally have no problem with hotels having blackout dates, but I do have a problem with Hyatt's claim that their hotels don't have blackout dates when Hyatt knows this to be a lie.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

You said yourself there is nothing available online. That is their out. They're not the first hotel to do this nor will they be the last. What will happen is that standard availability will be pulled and listed as some other category, even to those who write or call the hotel.

Overall, I am very happy with Hyatt and the program. It's one of the best out there for redemtions and treatment of their status customers. I can live with the these very few quirks with properties.
Again, you keep giving them a pass because "that's the way things are". You can accept them not following the terms and conditions if you want. If you accept it, that's great. You can be a shill for the company all you want but anyone can see that they are violating the terms and conditions.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:18 pm

Ah, so I'm a shill because I"m trying to make you understand that is the way it has always been, and quite honestly, availability has improved over the past few years. Have I insulted you in any way? Is it necessary to call me names because you don't like what I'm saying?

With that, I'll leave it to others to explain it to you. Perhaps they can do a better job of it.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:19 pm
Original Poster

That's because I didn't look. I'm working and responding to you.
Yet you had time to look up Hilton and Hyatt? I would go take a look at starwood.

And by the way, the Hilton that is available with points for 1 night on NYE (unlike any of the hyatts) is 0.9 miles from time square according to googlemaps... a 19 min walk, a 9 min bus ride or two stops on the subway.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:20 pm
Original Poster

Ah, so I'm a shill because I"m trying to make you understand that is the way it has always been, and quite honestly, availability has improved over the past few years. Have I insulted you in any way? Is it necessary to call me names because you don't like what I'm saying?

With that, I'll leave it to others to explain it to you. Perhaps they can do a better job of it.
You're a shill because you give Hyatt a free pass for violating their terms and conditions because "that's the way it is". That's pretty much the definition of a shill. Thanks for leaving it to others... bye now.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:26 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Maybe it's time to stop your tantrum because you don't get what you want.... pay up or stay at home.
Old Jun 20, 2014, 1:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by RTW1
Maybe toy can stop your tantrum because you don't get what you want.... pay up or stay at home.
Oh look another shill... It's sad how people like corporations walk all over them without even saying anything.

Love how you quote T&Cs in other threads:

Originally Posted by RTW1
It's simply what's in the T&C's. It's designed to set the boundaries. I've seen plenty of posts about people with colleagues in the same hotel that expect the privileges to be extended to them as well. That's why rules are needed, because people tend to push it otherwise.
Guess that doesn't apply to the corporations, huh?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.