Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Need Advise - not checking in and earning stay credit

Old Jun 14, 14, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat

Hello everyone, I need some advise on my plan to get the Diamond status.
Received Marriott Gold by being a UA Plat recently.

I currently only stay in hotels about 15 days per year, but I happen to be in the perfect timing to get Diamond.

Just also learned that I should have activated the status so I could have got an upgrade on my 7 night stay in HK.

I'm interested into booking a few dummy nights, and wanted to confirm that if I initiate the status match and book a few dummy nights, do I actually have it check-in or no?

If not, than I would rather just do that and find the best rate possible in the usa.
Also would appreciate advise on where to book the dummy nights.
Old Jun 14, 14, 9:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You have to check-in... Most programs require it to get stay/nights credited.
Old Jun 15, 14, 5:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
if I initiate the status match and book a few dummy nights, do I actually have it check-in or no?
Yes, you must check in at the property.
Old Jun 17, 14, 4:12 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold, MR PP,
The problem I have with this is that if I book a one-night stay and don't check in, they charge me the full price for that night. I don't see the big benefit to them of having the guest actually check in. They are getting the money either way.
Old Jun 17, 14, 4:57 pm

Programs: MR-Amb, Hyatt-Globalist, AA-EXP
Originally Posted by texdoc View Post
The problem I have with this is that if I book a one-night stay and don't check in, they charge me the full price for that night. I don't see the big benefit to them of having the guest actually check in. They are getting the money either way.
I agree, and it's really frustrating when you have an unavoidable no show penalty, but I think they do this to keep people from gaming the loyalty programs too much. It would make it too easy to find the cheapest properties to take advantage of the various promos and earn status. I can imagine this would have been a huge issue during the FFN promos, etc.
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:21 am

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by spgplat21 View Post
I agree, and it's really frustrating when you have an unavoidable no show penalty, but I think they do this to keep people from gaming the loyalty programs too much. It would make it too easy to find the cheapest properties to take advantage of the various promos and earn status. I can imagine this would have been a huge issue during the FFN promos, etc.
I've actually had a property who checked me in and out. I won't name the specific property but I had a legitimate reason for asking them about this. They might have been able to addt'l revenue because of this since the property was almost sold out, so it worked out for both sides.
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum,
Hyatt T/C is one of the few to specifically spell out no phantom nights (no check-in or just web check-in and never showing up). I personally am on night 6 of my diamond challenge and I have been paying around 80 a night in my area and Southern California in summer is not cheap. One of the other things you can do if you want is book multiple nights in the hotel check in and leave the keys in the room.
Old Jun 18, 14, 1:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by goldenargo85 View Post
Hyatt T/C is one of the few to specifically spell out no phantom nights (no check-in or just web check-in and never showing up).
Don't kid yourself... most programs don't allow it.
Old Jun 18, 14, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, Starwood Gold, Hyatt Diamond
Hyatt T/C is one of the few to specifically spell out no phantom nights (no check-in or just web check-in and never showing up). I personally am on night 6 of my diamond challenge and I have been paying around 80 a night in my area and Southern California in summer is not cheap. One of the other things you can do if you want is book multiple nights in the hotel check in and leave the keys in the room.
Wow, that's really good. Are you just paying for hotels that you're not staying in?
My average for my 12 nights for the Diamond Challenge was about $260.
3 nights at the Hyatt Rgency Etoile Paris, 2 Nights in a 2 bedroom suite at the Mirage, 2 nights at Hyatt Regency DC, 2 Nights at the Hyatt TST HK, 3 Nights at the Park Hyatt Saigon with a DSU.

I also used the Diamond benefits with 2 free nights at the Park Hyatt Vendome, and an extra night at the Hyatt TST HK
Old Jun 18, 14, 2:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Maybe it's why it's called "stay credit". OP wants "not stay credit".
Old Jun 18, 14, 3:31 pm

Programs: HYATT-Nothingness; Starwood-Nothingness; AA-Nothingness
Watch your statements though. Recently, I did this at Hyatt Place ABQ and they checked me out after the first night saying I was not active in the room and thought I had checked out on my own without telling anyone.

Old Jun 18, 14, 4:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum,
Originally Posted by RTW1 View Post
Don't kid yourself... most programs don't allow it.
I'm not kidding myself, I am pointing out that Hyatt spells it out for him per the web-checking rules. This is the Hyatt Forum so I wasn't referencing other hotels.
"You must visit the Hyatt Express Check-In Kiosk or the front desk on the scheduled date of arrival and physically occupy the assigned guest room. Failure to visit the Hyatt Express Check-In Kiosk or the front desk may result in your room being released as an early departure, and your payment card being charged one night's room accommodations. These stays are considered phantom stays. Phantom stays are not eligible for Hyatt Gold Passport points, credit toward tier status or participation in bonus points or other promotional offers. A phantom stay is described as a stay where a guest uses Hyatt Web Check-In or 1-800-CHECK-IN to check into a hotel but does not physically stay at the hotel."

Originally Posted by krazieman View Post
Wow, that's really good. Are you just paying for hotels that you're not staying in?
For a few nites its business related for a conference but the others I have taken my girlfriend up to Lake Tahoe a few times and stayed in the Sacramento area gone down to Indian wells, and a few airport stays although I have used a few codes that I legitimately qualify for to get the costs down a bit.

Originally Posted by AA_SPG_Fan View Post
Watch your statements though. Recently, I did this at Hyatt Place ABQ and they checked me out after the first night saying I was not active in the room and thought I had checked out on my own without telling anyone.
I told the Hyatt Place I did this at that I didn't need the room the whole week but was grabbing it as a home base for travel within the area. To explain no checkout I said was leaving at 4 am and wasn't sure my brain would be working enough to check out that morning would it be ok if I just left the key in the room? They said sure sorry you will miss breakfast.
Old Jun 18, 14, 11:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Titanium, UA Plat
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
Maybe it's why it's called "stay credit". OP wants "not stay credit".
I need stay credit unfortunately. I'm finished 7 nights at the HK TST HR.
As stupid as I felt, I should have initiated the status challenge to use my first upgrade since my stay was 7 nights.

Originally Posted by Jimgotkp View Post
I've actually had a property who checked me in and out. I won't name the specific property but I had a legitimate reason for asking them about this. They might have been able to addt'l revenue because of this since the property was almost sold out, so it worked out for both sides.
Sounds like I have phone calls to make

Originally Posted by krazieman View Post
My average for my 12 nights for the Diamond Challenge was about $260.
3 nights at the Hyatt Rgency Etoile Paris, 2 Nights in a 2 bedroom suite at the Mirage, 2 nights at Hyatt Regency DC, 2 Nights at the Hyatt TST HK, 3 Nights at the Park Hyatt Saigon with a DSU.

I also used the Diamond benefits with 2 free nights at the Park Hyatt Vendome, and an extra night at the Hyatt TST HK
What's the Diamond Benefit other than an upgrade?

Yeah it's a terrible timing. I should have done the dummy bookings in May and than finished the 7 nights in June, but Heck I didn't even know of the status challenge was possible for me. I'm a leisure/business traveler but I don't travel like corporate business people do. I received Marriott Gold from being a UA plat so it's good timing.

After the 1.5 years of being Diamond, I won't have 50 stays, so will I lose Diamond? Or is there anyway to retain it?
Old Jun 19, 14, 8:10 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TennisNoob View Post
I need stay credit unfortunately. I'm finished 7 nights at the HK TST HR.
As stupid as I felt, I should have initiated the status challenge to use my first upgrade since my stay was 7 nights.

Sounds like I have phone calls to make

What's the Diamond Benefit other than an upgrade?

Yeah it's a terrible timing. I should have done the dummy bookings in May and than finished the 7 nights in June, but Heck I didn't even know of the status challenge was possible for me. I'm a leisure/business traveler but I don't travel like corporate business people do. I received Marriott Gold from being a UA plat so it's good timing.

After the 1.5 years of being Diamond, I won't have 50 stays, so will I lose Diamond? Or is there anyway to retain it?
Another Diamond benefit is lounge access or free breakfast in the restaurant if there's no lounge. Guaranteed 4 pm check out.

Diamond requires 25 stays or 50 nights during the calendar year, not 50 stays.
Old Jun 19, 14, 8:17 am

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It makes zero sense to grant stay credit for non-stays. I f that were the case, it would be simpler and easier to simply establish a cash price to be paid for status. Send in a check and you get your status.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: