Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2019, 8:56 am
Hyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold
And to be clear, I’m only getting reservations for two, so can’t speak to how they’d perform for a group of 5
Old Jun 24, 2019, 2:18 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by tdiddy23
Has anyone had some reassuring positive experiences with restaurant booking through Andaz recently? I've reached out to the hotel as well to ask whether they have a concierge...
As I noted previously, they certainly have (at the very least) staff members identifying themselves as concierges (in my case, the e-mails sent to me were signed "Chief Concierge"). Others in this thread have mentioned that there is no official/dedicated concierge team, so it may be just staff also tasked with concierge duties.

The problem is that the concierge was utterly incompetent and the GM wasn't interested even in any mention of how future interactions might be improved, much less service recovery.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:14 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by yerffej201
the suites here are a lot bigger and don't qualify for upgrades (certificates or otherwise) anyways
that's because they always occupied by influencers staying in them for free

this property has slowly gone from one of the the most promising in tokyo to the worst in the hyatt portfolio due to crap management
bumping it to a cat 7 was the nail in the coffin
caliform likes this.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by RW123
We tried to see if they could help with basically impossible reservations such as Saito, and of course they weren’t able to secure that.
Securing a reservation at Saito isn't going to be through some Western hotel chain concierge. For that you need to be part of the 仲間. A couple of people who post here are in this hallowed group, but I am sworn to secrecy.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 6:32 pm

thanks for the feedback

I'm not looking for impossible reservations (ie Saito, yoshitake, original Jiro), maybe if we were a group of 2 I'd hope they'd try but not with 5. I would like to be able to get into places a notch or two below this reputation/difficulty of reservation wise, still an authentic, better than the sushi you'll get anywhere outside japan sushi experience. I'll provide a ranked list to the concierge, i just want someone who will reasonably try and book this on time to try and secure a spot (i wonder if it has to be a place with a private room with this many people)

last time i was in Tokyo a small 3* hotel near the station was most helpful. Another restaurant refused to book anything until I arrived, I promptly cancelled that booking. I think i am going to end up going through the travel agent/virtuoso and forgo the savings of the non-refundable booking. That way if i get the feeling that Andaz concierge is completely dropping the ball am not out the $ and can switch hotels.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

thanks for the feedback

I'm not looking for impossible reservations (ie Saito, yoshitake, original Jiro), maybe if we were a group of 2 I'd hope they'd try but not with 5. I would like to be able to get into places a notch or two below this reputation/difficulty of reservation wise, still an authentic, better than the sushi you'll get anywhere outside japan sushi experience. I'll provide a ranked list to the concierge, i just want someone who will reasonably try and book this on time to try and secure a spot (i wonder if it has to be a place with a private room with this many people)

last time i was in Tokyo a small 3* hotel near the station was most helpful. Another restaurant refused to book anything until I arrived, I promptly cancelled that booking. I think i am going to end up going through the travel agent/virtuoso and forgo the savings of the non-refundable booking. That way if i get the feeling that Andaz concierge is completely dropping the ball am not out the $ and can switch hotels.
Honestly, get a hotel with a proper concierge system and dedicated concierge staff like PH. Andaz will be a lot more miss than hit.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Honestly, get a hotel with a proper concierge system and dedicated concierge staff like PH. Andaz will be a lot more miss than hit.
Alright you've officially given me cold feet, as well the response from the Andaz team didn't seem all that convincing -- I've replied with more specifics to firmly test the waters. I'm pretty sure I am a poster child for Andz target market (late 30s professional, travelling for leisure, my wife even has Instagram haha), so not nailing the restaurant bit in Tokyo has to be a major fail for them (obviously I know its not an easy task still their reputation is somewhat apparent with some brief research). I may flip flop again but for now I think I will book Tokyo Station hotel, the rooms aren't as nice, ditto for view, but location is so convenient and I've read really good things about their concierge service. Plus saving a over a grand between the two rooms never hurts
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:06 am

Alright you've officially given me cold feet, as well the response from the Andaz team didn't seem all that convincing -- I've replied with more specifics to firmly test the waters. I'm pretty sure I am a poster child for Andz target market (late 30s professional, travelling for leisure, my wife even has Instagram haha), so not nailing the restaurant bit in Tokyo has to be a major fail for them (obviously I know its not an easy task still their reputation is somewhat apparent with some brief research). I may flip flop again but for now I think I will book Tokyo Station hotel, the rooms aren't as nice, ditto for view, but location is so convenient and I've read really good things about their concierge service. Plus saving a over a grand between the two rooms never hurts
To echo the comments above, I specifically made sure I didn't have any concierge requests during a stay at the Andaz due to reading other posts. I reserved those for the PH and HR, and both were competent. The PH also has a PDF list of recommended restaurants by cuisine if you're also looking for ideas.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I used the concierge there last March for a few requests, and they were pretty helpful. As is typical for Tokyo hotels, when I arrived, they had color coded, printed maps for me with all of the info.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 8:34 am

Programs: DL GM, SPG Plat, HH Gold, US Gold
Hi - I'm trying to book rooms for the 2020 olympics in Tokyo. We tried to book right when the schedule opened - and rooms were already sold out (for July 24, 2020). Does anyone know if this is temporary, or if the hotel is really sold out already?

Thanks in advance.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:36 am

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by graj08
Hi - I'm trying to book rooms for the 2020 olympics in Tokyo. We tried to book right when the schedule opened - and rooms were already sold out (for July 24, 2020). Does anyone know if this is temporary, or if the hotel is really sold out already?

Thanks in advance.
Not a single Hyatt has rooms available during the Olympics. I’m trying to get two rooms for 17 days. No luck so far. Maybe someone with higher connections could tell us why Hyatt has not allocated a number of rooms for its loyalty members at any of its properties.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by suite2suite

Not a single Hyatt has rooms available during the Olympics. I’m trying to get two rooms for 17 days. No luck so far. Maybe someone with higher connections could tell us why Hyatt has not allocated a number of rooms for its loyalty members at any of its properties.
I wouldn't be surprised if Andaz was bought out.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 9:16 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by graj08

Thanks in advance.
Entirely possible. I don't have specific knowledge about the Andaz but I have heard from a reputable source that the entire Park Hyatt has been taken by the International Olympic Committee during the games.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:18 pm

Originally Posted by suite2suite

Uhh probably because selling them at 2,3,10x the normal value is a much better business decision than giving them to you for 15 or 20k points? It's a business not a charity. I am all about expecting loyalty benefits to be honored and calling out companies when they abuse the relationship, but frankly I have to say if you are expecting award nights during the Olympics I think you are being beyond absurd. I would use a different term but I don't want to get hit with some moderator nonsense. Just patently absurd.
Old Jun 28, 2019, 11:55 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
I seriously doubt that the Andaz is going to show any availability for even a single night during the Games. If (and this is a big if), anything is going to become available it is probably more likely at the HR or HP. Or maybe someone will get lucky if the HR Yokohama opens in time and is not completely pre-sold.

Anyone looking to use pts for a Hyatt stay during he Games might be wise to lock in HR Hakone and then wait and see how things work out later.

I guess it was best that we weren't able to buy any tickets in the lottery that was recently held for Japan residents. We applied for 28 events (15 1st choice and 13 2nd choice), and did not luck out on even one event.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.