Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:03 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Aventine
Their Instagram Stories is just an influencer show-off channel now.
Quite a shame really, considering how they will gladly stiff loyal customers out of suites but hand them to anyone with an Instagram following. I don't see PH Tokyo participate in this behaviour. I also highly doubt any of these "influencers" followers are likely to be booking cash stays there, so not sure what they're trying to accomplish.
MSPeconomist and luvFclass like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by invalyd
Quite a shame really, considering how they will gladly stiff loyal customers out of suites but hand them to anyone with an Instagram following. I don't see PH Tokyo participate in this behaviour. I also highly doubt any of these "influencers" followers are likely to be booking cash stays there, so not sure what they're trying to accomplish.
The most embarrassing one I saw was two influencer kids riding their push cars through the ground floor lobby, entrance and multiple hallways. Totally out of hand.
invalyd likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 12:30 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Management / PR has a soft spot for lifestyle influencers. Too bad, but then again the service was always hit and miss here, with paying elite guests in suites being unceremoniously denied entry to the restaurant because they don't want you to interfere with the ridiculous tea service packages they sell visitors.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 1:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by caliform
Management / PR has a soft spot for lifestyle influencers. Too bad, but then again the service was always hit and miss here, with paying elite guests in suites being unceremoniously denied entry to the restaurant because they don't want you to interfere with the ridiculous tea service packages they sell visitors.
Absurd, but really just makes the decision to stay at PH much easier, especially with this now being a Cat7.
caliform likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:38 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Anyone else follow this property on Instagram? They sure seem to have no issue handing out free suites to "influencers" like candy
Nope and I can't imagine the people who look to instagram for hotel recommendations are ever going to be paying these type of hotel rates.
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by Red259; Mar 21, 2019 at 11:28 pm
Old Mar 20, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
This is just pathetic when they can't even get their concierge in order.
invalyd and caliform like this.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:21 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Definitely a disservice to the hard product.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 3:02 am

This is disgraceful.
invalyd likes this.
Old Mar 21, 2019, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by caliform
Pretty bad that 2-3 non-guests overrule an in-hour one. Never happened to me but I would be pissed if that happened.
Old May 10, 2019, 10:25 am

Just returned from Japan and did a three Hyatt tour (Andaz, Park Hyatt Tokyo, and Kyoto Regency). With respect to the Andaz, the hotel was very impressive - had two connecting rooms on the 48th floor. The rooms were immaculate and generously sized. Staff was, as always for Japan, exceptionally professional and capable. Rooftop bar was a cool experience but empty when I went (it was a Monday, right as Golden Week was ending). Of the three Hyatts we stayed at, the breakfast came in third - nice variety but the quality was less than the others (keep in mind, this is relative - it was still an very good breakfast). Great pool and good gym.
59Impala likes this.
Old May 11, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by Matt the Coffeeman
Just returned from Japan and did a three Hyatt tour (Andaz, Park Hyatt Tokyo, and Kyoto Regency). With respect to the Andaz, the hotel was very impressive - had two connecting rooms on the 48th floor. The rooms were immaculate and generously sized. Staff was, as always for Japan, exceptionally professional and capable. Rooftop bar was a cool experience but empty when I went (it was a Monday, right as Golden Week was ending). Of the three Hyatts we stayed at, the breakfast came in third - nice variety but the quality was less than the others (keep in mind, this is relative - it was still an very good breakfast). Great pool and good gym.
We spent a week at the Andaz Tokyo in April and were also very impressed, both with the hard product and staff. Check-in was a little odd (nobody offered to help us with our heavy duffel and we weren't accustomed to checking in at a table and have the associate leave for an extended period with a passport and credit card) but everything else was outstanding and we are already planning a return trip. We didn't try the rooftop bar because persons under 21 aren't allowed but we had drinks at the Tavern Lounge a few times, and loved it.

I do have a question about your breakfast comment since we we stayed at the Hyatt Regency Kyoto after and found it to be a miserable experience (odd smell in bathrooms, tiny rooms with closet doors that don't open all the way, paper thin walls, children yelling/crying/running up and down the halls at all hours, bar is subterranean and depressing)--other than bell persons, front desk agents and housekeeping. What about the Kyoto breakfast experience made it better than the Andaz in your mind? I only ate western items at both locations but my husband and son truly missed the extensive Japanese offerings at the Andaz. I will say that the coffee was better at Kyoto as were the omelettes/scrambled eggs and croissants, but the overall selection at Kyoto seemed lacking, not to mention that even though we would eat early in order to avoid the crowds, the restaurant was always loud and the service was lacking. I was surprised by how much we disliked the HR Kyoto as I had read many good reviews.
Old May 11, 2019, 2:51 pm

Funny, I forgot about the closet thing. Yes, it was terribly annoying that you couldn’t open one side of the closet completely because an air vent in the ceiling blocked it. I’m surprised to hear about the service.

For breakfast, we had different staff each day but found them to be wonderful. Our servers were different on both days and both were warm and interesting (one gentleman from Spain and another who was a Japanese student who had lived in America). We were up quite early (we have a five year old), so I never experienced the crowding. Kyoto’s baked goods (breads and layered pastries) were far superiors to Andaz, in my opinion. Further, we like our eggs cooked longer (we’re American) and they couldn’t seem to get that right at the Andaz. Also, I felt the bacon was undercooked at the Andaz. Again, these are all degrees - I thought both had good qualities, I just liked the Kyoto better.

I’m sorry to hear about your noise issue. We did not have any problems while we were there but, with adjoining rooms, I’ll admit we had noise protection on one side.
Old May 11, 2019, 4:48 pm

Programs: UA--no longer 2P as of 3/2012 and don't even care. Never thought I'd say that.
Originally Posted by Matt the Coffeeman
Funny, I forgot about the closet thing. Yes, it was terribly annoying that you couldn’t open one side of the closet completely because an air vent in the ceiling blocked it. I’m surprised to hear about the service.

For breakfast, we had different staff each day but found them to be wonderful. Our servers were different on both days and both were warm and interesting (one gentleman from Spain and another who was a Japanese student who had lived in America). We were up quite early (we have a five year old), so I never experienced the crowding. Kyoto’s baked goods (breads and layered pastries) were far superiors to Andaz, in my opinion. Further, we like our eggs cooked longer (we’re American) and they couldn’t seem to get that right at the Andaz. Also, I felt the bacon was undercooked at the Andaz. Again, these are all degrees - I thought both had good qualities, I just liked the Kyoto better.

I’m sorry to hear about your noise issue. We did not have any problems while we were there but, with adjoining rooms, I’ll admit we had noise protection on one side.
We are American as well, and the undercooked eggs were an issue for me at the Andaz as well, but I did request them well-done and the chefs did their best. For whatever reason, this was accomplished more to my taste at the HR Kyoto. You are correct about the undercooked bacon at the Andaz. Agreed that the HR Kyoto breads were outstanding. I will post more about our HR Kyoto experience on that thread.

I did find that due to the higher number of international staff at the HR Kyoto it was easier to communicate with the staff on the whole. There were some miscommunications at the Andaz whereas there were none at the HR Kyoto. For example, the first time I ordered scrambled eggs at the Andaz I asked for "three eggs" and much to my surprise three bowls of eggs were delivered to our table. I was too embarrassed to leave the others so ended up eating all three orders.
Old May 13, 2019, 3:31 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

The bar at the Andaz is sadly, always completely dead. It's a really nice bar, it could be great, but I think it just sits in a weird place. It's not really in a nightlife district and is close enough to Roppongi that people who want to go out on weekends probably get a drink there at most before going to other spots.
Old May 29, 2019, 5:58 pm

For those that stayed around mid April this year, how early did you book with points here? I'm trying to figure out if I have enough time to wait until August to book for April 2020(when I will get sign up bonus on the cc) or just do the UR transfer now and get it over with? Thanks for any insight on availability

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.