Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Mlife NOIR
Tokyo Tower by far. It's usually the hardest type of room to get into. At night time, when the tower is lit up, it's quite breathtaking.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 6:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by UAflyer93
Tokyo Tower by far. It's usually the hardest type of room to get into. At night time, when the tower is lit up, it's quite breathtaking.
Horses for Courses. The only upside to visiting and going up Tokyo Tower is that it's not visible from up there.
Old Jan 16, 2019, 7:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
From the Andaz you get a real feel for just how large Tokyo Tower is. It's spectacular at different times of day, especially when the lights are on at dawn or dusk. With this view, below you there are several temples/shrines that you can see, which to me is very local Japanese.

The restaurant windows face toward SkyTree and the Imperial Palace grounds, so it's fun to get a different view over breakfast, assuming that one is lucky enough to get one of the very private window tables. Maybe for dinner you could book one of these special tables.

BTW, someone recently said that breakfast has been improved, but I would disagree. I remember the buffet as being more impressive shortly after the hotel opened, although now you can order two hot items from a menu, to be cooked to order and served at your table. They're mostly eggs, but the chocolate filled brioche French toast with grilled banana (small portion) is an option.

My impression this time is that happy hour (6-8 pm daily) has more food options than I remember, although you have to watch what's coming from the kitchen as the food tends to evolve over the two hours, with things being substituted rather than replaced. There's red and white wine (chard and cab) and two types of (cold) sake. I didn't notice any beer but I wasn't looking for it. Cheese (and bread) was the constant staple.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Received an underwhelming reply to my complaint to the GM about the poor concierge service that I mentioned earlier in this thread. The GM did apologize and it wasn't quite form-letter bad, but it also failed to address the specific problems and glossed over the key issue, which was that my interaction with the concierge left me worse off than had I not contacted the concierge at all. Additionally, there was absolutely no specifics provided as far as improvement, compensation, or even giving them another chance to do better on a future visit.

This clearly shows the GM doesn't care at all about concierge service, so this property is definitely a no-go if you need anything to be done by the concierge. Along with the housekeeping and other service issues I encountered, I'm also quite skeptical of the service culture here and I feel like that's a systemic attitude that starts at the top.

Still a solid hard product though, especially as I found the room more functional than other Andaz properties. And since I blew points and it was mostly a repositioning stay to catch an award flight home, I can't be too miffed.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by gengar
Received an underwhelming reply to my complaint to the GM about the poor concierge service that I mentioned earlier in this thread. The GM did apologize and it wasn't quite form-letter bad, but it also failed to address the specific problems and glossed over the key issue, which was that my interaction with the concierge left me worse off than had I not contacted the concierge at all. Additionally, there was absolutely no specifics provided as far as improvement, compensation, or even giving them another chance to do better on a future visit.

This clearly shows the GM doesn't care at all about concierge service, so this property is definitely a no-go if you need anything to be done by the concierge. Along with the housekeeping and other service issues I encountered, I'm also quite skeptical of the service culture here and I feel like that's a systemic attitude that starts at the top.
They haven't cared about a concierge since the days of Arnaud and I will never understand why. It is an important hotel function and even more important for a hotel that considers itself a top Tokyo luxury destination. Wouldn't take much for them to setup a Host Concierge system like Andaz Maui. I feel your frustration.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Aventine
They haven't cared about a concierge since the days of Arnaud and I will never understand why. It is an important hotel function and even more important for a hotel that considers itself a top Tokyo luxury destination. Wouldn't take much for them to setup a Host Concierge system like Andaz Maui. I feel your frustration.
Obviously I can't read minds, but from the hotel's perspective a concierge service is a no-win proposition overall. All downside, dealing with the subset of guests most likely to be picky, needy, obstreperous, and with the highest PITA factor. It's a thankless task and costs a lot of money and reputation to execute well. So if the hotel has good occupancy and can command high rates in spite of a weak concierge, why bother having it at all?
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pickles
Obviously I can't read minds, but from the hotel's perspective a concierge service is a no-win proposition overall. All downside, dealing with the subset of guests most likely to be picky, needy, obstreperous, and with the highest PITA factor. It's a thankless task and costs a lot of money and reputation to execute well. So if the hotel has good occupancy and can command high rates in spite of a weak concierge, why bother having it at all?
I guess that's the course they've chosen and it works well from the business side.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
They haven't cared about a concierge since the days of Arnaud and I will never understand why. It is an important hotel function and even more important for a hotel that considers itself a top Tokyo luxury destination.
A shoeshiner from the old Okura Hotel said that a true top level hotel is one that has everything you might need inside of it. While the Western world has long since moved away from that ideal, places like the Imperial Hotel still have shopping arcades, several restaurants, drug stores, music rooms (in case you need to practice the piano), doctor, and dental services all on site.

(and of course, if you really have to leave, their concierge is also top notch)
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Pickles
Because they claim to be a luxury hotel, obviously.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by gengar
Because they claim to be a luxury hotel, obviously.
Andaz is advertised as a "luxury boutique" brand, not a "boutique luxury" brand.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:59 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Andaz is advertised as a "luxury boutique" brand, not a "boutique luxury" brand.
In the case of the Andaz Tokyo specifically, it's actually "luxury lifestyle". But if we're going to split hairs about "luxury lifestyle" and "lifestyle luxury", then let's just call it lipstick on a pig and leave it at that.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 11:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Does the Andaz do the thing the Japanese hotels do by not releasing all their rooms for booking until 90 days to six months out? I'm looking at the fall and not seeing award availability for many dates. I see you can book some higher end rooms but wondering if Andaz is holding back some standard rooms or those are all booked already.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by Red259
Does the Andaz do the thing the Japanese hotels do by not releasing all their rooms for booking until 90 days to six months out? I'm looking at the fall and not seeing award availability for many dates. I see you can book some higher end rooms but wondering if Andaz is holding back some standard rooms or those are all booked already.
Look at some posts upthread. This Andaz plays award availability games. Fall is a popular season.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 2:58 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by tearex
Look at some posts upthread. This Andaz plays award availability games. Fall is a popular season.
Not to mention they just increased the redemption rate to 30k so now it costs the same amount as park hyatt.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 3:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Red259
Not to mention they just increased the redemption rate to 30k so now it costs the same amount as park hyatt.
I haven't stayed at the Park Hyatt Tokyo. Might try it out next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.