Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Oct 13, 2018, 1:18 pm

Originally Posted by Gabrca
Am trying to book a room here in early January using points. Base room available on Daily Rate using cash, and yet Hyatt is telling me there's no redemption availability? Tried calling and the guy was adamant they could allocate a certain number of rooms just for points. I informed him that's was only for P+C to no avail.

I thought as long as a standard rate available on base room, then you can redeem?
HUCA?
MikeFromTokyo likes this.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:03 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I did this and got the same guy. He was still insistent that they could allocate X number of rooms. When I asked he clarify with his manager, he came back with "oh we've managed to get you a room"

I did ask if he could clarify that my understanding of WOH was correct (standard room at standard rate = points redemption available), and he said he couldn't.

End of the day I still got the room, but it was a lot of hassle.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 5:07 pm

I did this and got the same guy. He was still insistent that they could allocate X number of rooms. When I asked he clarify with his manager, he came back with "oh we've managed to get you a room"

I did ask if he could clarify that my understanding of WOH was correct (standard room at standard rate = points redemption available), and he said he couldn't.

End of the day I still got the room, but it was a lot of hassle.
So, HUCA worked exactly as it always does?
Old Oct 14, 2018, 5:17 am

Originally Posted by MattEvan
So, HUCA worked exactly as it always does?
It did.

However I've just received word from the hotel that I asked directly that they've only allocated "Andaz Twin" rooms for free night availability during this time period (Early January). Can they do this? Andaz King & Andaz Twin are the same base level room. As it stands there are Andaz Kings available but not Andaz Twin.

Later in the year I see availability for both King & Twin using points.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:00 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
It did.

However I've just received word from the hotel that I asked directly that they've only allocated "Andaz Twin" rooms for free night availability during this time period (Early January). Can they do this? Andaz King & Andaz Twin are the same base level room. As it stands there are Andaz Kings available but not Andaz Twin.

If by early January you mean a stay including Jan 2, then they are probably allowed to block pt stays under the "exceptional peak period" rule for the New Year holiday, since Jan 3 is an official "bank holiday". As Jan 4 is a Fri, most companies will be extending the New Year holiday until Sunday Jan 6, and the hotel might be stretching the rule and blocking the base level king through the night of Jan 5. This type of thing shouldn't be allowed, but it seems to happening at more and more properties.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:03 am

It did.

Take the twin, note on the reservation if you want a king, and there’s a decent chance you’ll get a king at check in.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
If by early January you mean a stay including Jan 2, then they are probably allowed to block pt stays under the "exceptional peak period" rule for the New Year holiday, since Jan 3 is an official "bank holiday". As Jan 4 is a Fri, most companies will be extending the New Year holiday until Sunday Jan 6, and the hotel might be stretching the rule and blocking the base level king through the night of Jan 5. This type of thing shouldn't be allowed, but it seems to happening at more and more properties.

Thanks! Seems a bit silly they can do this. NYE is the only day I can understand (though it goes against the T&Cs)
Originally Posted by MattEvan

Take the twin, note on the reservation if you want a king, and there’s a decent chance you’ll get a king at check in.
Thats the thing, there’s no twin, only king and they are saying during this time frame “twin is the only room allowed for points” ... Later in the month both twin and king are available. Both are technically base level rooms.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:19 am

Thanks! Seems a bit silly they can do this. NYE is the only day I can understand (though it goes against the T&Cs)

Thats the thing, there’s no twin, only king and they are saying during this time frame “twin is the only room allowed for points” ... Later in the month both twin and king are available. Both are technically base level rooms.

Have you tried going through the WoH Concierge here on FT? They are often much better at solving problems than the phone staff. And keep pestering the hotel to try an get them to guarantee a Twin, but in the meantime I would suggest booking a twin elsewhere just in case. Otherwise you're just spittin in the wind, cause the properties will do what they want regardless of the T&C.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 4:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
As Jan 4 is a Fri, most companies will be extending the New Year holiday until Sunday Jan 6
Source? I don't know of any companies doing that. Certainly not mine.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
Source? I don't know of any companies doing that. Certainly not mine.
You're working a regular schedule on Jan 4 next year? Poor soul. Every office I'm acquainted with will either be closed completely or will have a skeleton staff or will only be going in for a couple of hours in the morning for a New Year greeting. Even if Jan 4 was not on a Fri next year, I would say fewer than half of Japan's office workers work a regular schedule on Jan 4 in any year.

Banks of course are required by law to be open on that day. The bank holiday is only 12/31 and 1/1-1/3.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:25 pm

my light review of award inventory here for peak April cherry blossom season is that this hotel infuriatingly refuses to sell standard rooms under any rate plan from 13 months out to now 6 months out. sort of curious if am going to be able to break them and see some standard rooms available before my trip. they are only showing the lightly-elevated, BS room catepgry Park View.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Colin
my light review of award inventory here for peak April cherry blossom season is that this hotel infuriatingly refuses to sell standard rooms under any rate plan from 13 months out to now 6 months out. sort of curious if am going to be able to break them and see some standard rooms available before my trip. they are only showing the lightly-elevated, BS room catepgry Park View.
Something could open up closer to the dates.
Old Oct 27, 2018, 6:28 am

Originally Posted by Colin
Yes, they are definitely playing games with their room inventory. Even in very off-peak periods, standard rooms are almost never available for single-night bookings except very close in when they know they have excess inventory, even though 2-night and longer bookings are possible.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:22 am

Seeing as they're playing games with award availability with the standard room, I was prepared to pony up for the new suite redemption options. Just hit midnight in Tokyo - start going through the website, and the award redemption page specifically errors out (cash page is working fine).

Call Hyatt reservations and they're telling me they're not accepting points, period, for my date (last week of March, ie, cherry blossom peak), even though premium suite shows availability - management has turned it off.

Guess I'll try again when US hits midnight, but I'm not hopeful.
Old Oct 31, 2018, 9:50 am

Programs: AA EXP & AAirpass, Hyatt Courtesy Card, SPG Platinum
Unfortunately, this is one of the few properties that doesn’t allow TSU/point suite upgrades at all. So I wouldn’t get my hopes up.

Originally Posted by tearex
Seeing as they're playing games with award availability with the standard room, I was prepared to pony up for the new suite redemption options. Just hit midnight in Tokyo - start going through the website, and the award redemption page specifically errors out (cash page is working fine).

Call Hyatt reservations and they're telling me they're not accepting points, period, for my date (last week of March, ie, cherry blossom peak), even though premium suite shows availability - management has turned it off.

Guess I'll try again when US hits midnight, but I'm not hopeful.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.