Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Aug 9, 2018, 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by caliform
I'll have to give the area another shot in October then! Would love some other tips on what to hit up on my next visit there that's in Toranomon. Perhaps it deserves a second chance
Toranomon Osakaya Sunaba! You probably passed it many times on the way to and from the metro station. Wonderful historical building, too—an island among the skyscrapers that now define the district. World class soba, has English menu.
caliform likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Matt, is that this beauty by any chance?

Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:38 pm

Originally Posted by caliform
Matt, is that this beauty by any chance?

Precisely. They keep short hours, but don’t get a lot of gaijin patrons and are very excited when they do, in my experiences.
caliform likes this.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Walked by it so many times and wondered. Thanks for the tip!
MattEvan likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:38 am

Came back to this thread for the first time in a while and just want to air grievances. Scanned the posts for the past few months and mostly compliments and minor negatives. Maybe others can chime in or object; both responses are welcome.

The pancake off the breakfast menu is terrible. Both its taste and texture are poor. (In contrast, the pancake from the breakfast menu at Conrad Tokyo is divine. It has become a minor personal factor in choosing Tokyo hotels) More generally, I'm not sure what this six-item menu adds to what was available before. If I wanted an average-tasting waffle or eggs Benedict, the Andaz Tokyo is not the first or second place I'd choose to have it at. How about upgrading some of the existing buffet options or adding more options that are available in less-than-one-plate portions? I seem to recollect there was a definite downgrade in some of the variety and presentation of the existing, familiar options when the buffet was revamped last year (for example, the rice dish has moved into a counter-top rice cooker).

The seated check-in, once novel and fresh, has become aggravating. If there are questions, the host can end up walking back and forth between your table and theirs several times. These days, I silently rejoice when the host doesn't press me to sit down. It can save several minutes during the part of the day when you really want things to happen quickly.

I'm not sure how the training differs between here and the Grand Hyatt, but there definitely seems to be something lacking. While the seasoned hosts are better, the new faces always seem to ask if it's the first time I've stayed here. At least the GH staff can consistently muster a "Welcome back!" Perhaps those who stay more frequently at GH for business can vouch or not, but it seems the experience is at least consistent there.

There was a great and friendly host named N*** who became a front team leader, but departed soon after the promotion, I found out. Great loss to the front desk team, from my perspective.

Finally, I booked a single night on my birthday and was entirely unrecognized. I understand that there are likely multiple birthday bookings every week, but could not the "unscripted" experience marketed by this hotel differentiate between a one-off and a regular? I would have been more than delighted with a simple "happy birthday", as the more one travels, the more one values personal recognition over cheap freebies.

Now that the new WOH card offers night credit for credit card spend, I think my nights here will decline. While I love the secluded location (no sarcasm, really), the occasional upgrade to the large king, the pool, and - perhaps most of all - the familiarity, I think I've realized that there are better options at this price point. For me, the greatest benefit of Hyatt's program is the GOH reservation. I couldn't care less if I myself have fewer opportunities to take advantage of free breakfasts or 4pm check-outs next year. /rant
Old Aug 10, 2018, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by princesakura
Came back to this thread for the first time in a while and just want to air grievances. Scanned the posts for the past few months and mostly compliments and minor negatives. Maybe others can chime in or object; both responses are welcome.

The pancake off the breakfast menu is terrible. Both its taste and texture are poor. (In contrast, the pancake from the breakfast menu at Conrad Tokyo is divine. It has become a minor personal factor in choosing Tokyo hotels) More generally, I'm not sure what this six-item menu adds to what was available before. If I wanted an average-tasting waffle or eggs Benedict, the Andaz Tokyo is not the first or second place I'd choose to have it at. How about upgrading some of the existing buffet options or adding more options that are available in less-than-one-plate portions? I seem to recollect there was a definite downgrade in some of the variety and presentation of the existing, familiar options when the buffet was revamped last year (for example, the rice dish has moved into a counter-top rice cooker).

The seated check-in, once novel and fresh, has become aggravating. If there are questions, the host can end up walking back and forth between your table and theirs several times. These days, I silently rejoice when the host doesn't press me to sit down. It can save several minutes during the part of the day when you really want things to happen quickly.

I'm not sure how the training differs between here and the Grand Hyatt, but there definitely seems to be something lacking. While the seasoned hosts are better, the new faces always seem to ask if it's the first time I've stayed here. At least the GH staff can consistently muster a "Welcome back!" Perhaps those who stay more frequently at GH for business can vouch or not, but it seems the experience is at least consistent there.

There was a great and friendly host named N*** who became a front team leader, but departed soon after the promotion, I found out. Great loss to the front desk team, from my perspective.

Finally, I booked a single night on my birthday and was entirely unrecognized. I understand that there are likely multiple birthday bookings every week, but could not the "unscripted" experience marketed by this hotel differentiate between a one-off and a regular? I would have been more than delighted with a simple "happy birthday", as the more one travels, the more one values personal recognition over cheap freebies.

Now that the new WOH card offers night credit for credit card spend, I think my nights here will decline. While I love the secluded location (no sarcasm, really), the occasional upgrade to the large king, the pool, and - perhaps most of all - the familiarity, I think I've realized that there are better options at this price point. For me, the greatest benefit of Hyatt's program is the GOH reservation. I couldn't care less if I myself have fewer opportunities to take advantage of free breakfasts or 4pm check-outs next year. /rant
Are you My Hyatt Concierge level? Birthdate is not part of standard WOH regular member data set as far as I know.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
I don't intend to be rude, but if that is what you said, you just as well might have said that you do not speak Japanese.
"That's fine, I speak several of the English."
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan

Are you My Hyatt Concierge level? Birthdate is not part of standard WOH regular member data set as far as I know.
I will say, i know hotels have access to extra info but it's not consistent when they use it. Once in Milan, I got an amenity sent up of organic juices and my mother's room got a bottle of wine, which is pretty typical. I called down and asked why they sent me juice, and they said, don't you not drink alcohol sir? I was floored that they knew that and obviously somewhere it got noted, but no other hotel ever has done that before or since. So I think they COULD know your birthday etc but might not bother.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:06 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by antonius66
I will say, i know hotels have access to extra info but it's not consistent when they use it. Once in Milan, I got an amenity sent up of organic juices and my mother's room got a bottle of wine, which is pretty typical. I called down and asked why they sent me juice, and they said, don't you not drink alcohol sir? I was floored that they knew that and obviously somewhere it got noted, but no other hotel ever has done that before or since. So I think they COULD know your birthday etc but might not bother.
The better hotels put comments, including requests that you make, on file that other properties can see. I think I have only experienced it once, at HR Naha they mentioned that they had put a humidifier in the room, since I had a standing request for one at HR Kyoto.

However, if you've never mentioned your birthday, how would anyone expect them to know it?
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:37 pm

Interesting, I would have thought birthday would be readily available for ID purposes. GH somehow knew it was my birthday, though perhaps the staff examined my passport in detail.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 9:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
I would find it creepy to get a happy birthday wish from someone that I've not expressly given that information to, even if they have access to that information somehow. It's not like I'm a famous person, and that information is publicly available on Wikipedia.
gpy likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 11:32 pm

As much as I like this Andaz a lot and speak highly of it, I think they have definitely dropped the ball here by not noticing your birthday and acting on it. Any respectable 5 star hotel should endeavor to surprise the guest by paying attention to the minute details reasonably within reach such as birthdays that are omnipresent on passports and IDs. Even if birthday information is not available to the hotel from WOH, the check in agent should have noticed it from the passport and at least said a simple "Happy Birthday" or something to that effect.
@hailstorm - I personally wouldn't find it creepy for a hotel with access to your passport/ ID at check in to drop a simple birthday card in your room without explicitly tell them so. I would, however, be creeped out if they knew anniversary dates or major personal milestones I have not previously disclosed to them.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by Central90210
As much as I like this Andaz a lot and speak highly of it, I think they have definitely dropped the ball here by not noticing your birthday and acting on it. Any respectable 5 star hotel should endeavor to surprise the guest by paying attention to the minute details reasonably within reach such as birthdays that are omnipresent on passports and IDs. Even if birthday information is not available to the hotel from WOH, the check in agent should have noticed it from the passport and at least said a simple "Happy Birthday" or something to that effect.
@hailstorm - I personally wouldn't find it creepy for a hotel with access to your passport/ ID at check in to drop a simple birthday card in your room without explicitly tell them so. I would, however, be creeped out if they knew anniversary dates or major personal milestones I have not previously disclosed to them.
So hotels would only celebrate birthdays of foreign guests?

I'd think that 5-star hotels try to be a bit more consistent than that.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
So hotels would only celebrate birthdays of foreign guests?

I'd think that 5-star hotels try to be a bit more consistent than that.
It wouldn't be a well managed hotel if they give up on placing birthday cards in rooms just because they couldn't find out the birthdays of a certain segment of their guests. One additional satisfied guest receiving a birthday surprise would be better than one less.

That said, since I am not Japanese, I was not aware Japanese/ local guests staying in hotels do not need to produce any sort of IDs or passports when checking in. So if I call myself Japanese/ a local and enter a Japanese address for my booking, they wouldn't ask for any government-issued identifications?
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:30 am

Originally Posted by Central90210
It wouldn't be a well managed hotel if they give up on placing birthday cards in rooms just because they couldn't find out the birthdays of a certain segment of their guests. One additional satisfied guest receiving a birthday surprise would be better than one less.

That said, since I am not Japanese, I was not aware Japanese/ local guests staying in hotels do not need to produce any sort of IDs or passports when checking in. So if I call myself Japanese/ a local and enter a Japanese address for my booking, they wouldn't ask for any government-issued identifications?
There is no law requiring ID at hotels in Japan. The law simply requires the guest to register their name and address. However, the Tokyo Metropolitan Police has a "guideline" (with which most hotels would of course want to follow) that accommodation facilities check ID of non-residents. In most cases anyone with a Japanese address on their reservation would not be asked for ID, but some places get a bit over energetic and ask non-Japanese residents for their alien registration cards (which resident aliens are required to carry). Some other cities' police departments have similar "guidelines".

So yes, if you are asked for a passport at check-in in Japan and you say "I'm a Japanese citizen", the clerk might shrug a bit, but I cannot imagine them calling you a liar, so no ID would be required.

Most Japanese who do not have a driver's license (and that is a large percentage of the adult population) do not carry ID on a day-to-day basis, and many do not possess any photo ID, since one of the most commonly used forms of ID is a health insurance card, which has no photo. A new personal number card has been introduced and is required for salary tax deduction and various financial transactions and the government wants to expand its use, but it comes in both photo and non-photo versions and the photo version is very unpopular.

While we do not travel to the US anymore and it has been 7 yr since we were last there, I do not recall ever being asked for ID at a hotel in 100+ stays, nor at at least half the places we've stayed in Europe and Asia.
SPBanker and Central90210 like this.

Last edited by OsakaWino; Aug 11, 2018 at 1:38 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.