Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:07 am

Hi guys—I’m trying to have the Andaz concierge assist me with a restaurant booking. I started emailing them 8 weeks ago and they swear the restaurant (Sushi’s Yoshitake) has not picked up their phone in 8 weeks. I’ve followed up almost every week to the same response (have the chain to prove it).

I also asked them to book a different restaurant and their response was “here’s is the online reservation form—do it yourself.”

I voiced my frustration subsequently only to be hit with a long email on how difficult it is to book restaurants in Tokyo. Obviously that is the case—that’s partly why I stayed at a hotel like the Andaz!

I am becoming very very frustrated and feel that I need to escalate this. Can anyone PM me the GM’s email? Is there anyone else I can reach out to on this?

thank you so much in advance.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by XUEC
Hi guys—I’m trying to have the Andaz concierge assist me with a restaurant booking. I started emailing them 8 weeks ago and they swear the restaurant (Sushi’s Yoshitake) has not picked up their phone in 8 weeks. I’ve followed up almost every week to the same response (have the chain to prove it).

I also asked them to book a different restaurant and their response was “here’s is the online reservation form—do it yourself.”

I voiced my frustration subsequently only to be hit with a long email on how difficult it is to book restaurants in Tokyo. Obviously that is the case—that’s partly why I stayed at a hotel like the Andaz!

I am becoming very very frustrated and feel that I need to escalate this. Can anyone PM me the GM’s email? Is there anyone else I can reach out to on this?

It's not a concierge problem per se but maybe a lazy Host? I know their email gets taken care of by different people and you usually don't get the same host everytime.
I don't really know if it's possible for the sushi restaurant not to answer but it seems unlikely for that long a period.
They should not tell you to fill in the form yourself. That's horrible service and rude. Once they told me, they couldn't make a reservation for us because it was evening time after we checked out. I tore them a new one for that. Ross Cooper is the general manager.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:20 am

Thank you! I completely agree...it seems like they are just not trying to call at all and it is a different person responding to me each time, which adds to my frustration.

any idea how I can reach mr cooper?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you! I completely agree...it seems like they are just not trying to call at all and it is a different person responding to me each time, which adds to my frustration.

any idea how I can reach mr cooper?
There's a prescribed method for Hyatt emails. Once you have the full names then its just a matter of adding a period.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:06 pm

When are you looking to eat at Yoshitake? I tried a few months ago and they were closed. I somehow stumbled upon the chefs daughter on IG and it seems as though chef has been venturing into popups in Bangkok and doing a lot of traveling, which can explain why they are not open. I noticed they seemed to be on a family vacation for the next week or two. I've had the pleasure of eating at Yoshitake once and it was phenomenal. However, I can't say the same about the sister restaurant in HK, Sushi Shikon. I would not blame the Andaz concierge/front desk agent. They were helpful in November in scheduling reservations.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by benjahman
When are you looking to eat at Yoshitake? I tried a few months ago and they were closed. I somehow stumbled upon the chefs daughter on IG and it seems as though chef has been venturing into popups in Bangkok and doing a lot of traveling, which can explain why they are not open. I noticed they seemed to be on a family vacation for the next week or two. I've had the pleasure of eating at Yoshitake once and it was phenomenal. However, I can't say the same about the sister restaurant in HK, Sushi Shikon. I would not blame the Andaz concierge/front desk agent. They were helpful in November in scheduling reservations.
Sushi Yoshitake is definitely open right now.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by MattEvan
Sushi Yoshitake is definitely open right now.
looking at IG posts, yes, it looks open. For weeks in November/December, it looks like they were in Bangkok, working on some sort of popup.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 1:29 pm

Also, as a backup if you can't get Yoshitake: https://pocket-concierge.jp/restaura...&page=3&tabs=d
Old Jan 9, 2018, 12:24 pm

I emailed Mr. Cooper last night and got a very nice and polite response (but didn't say much in the way of substance). Hope it doesn't lead to any kind of (bad) retaliation when I actually check in.

They said they'll calling Yoshitake for me (apparently they reopen on the 15th). At the point I'm resigned to not going.

Thanks for the backup suggestions! Will look into those.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I emailed Mr. Cooper last night and got a very nice and polite response (but didn't say much in the way of substance). Hope it doesn't lead to any kind of (bad) retaliation when I actually check in.

They said they'll calling Yoshitake for me (apparently they reopen on the 15th). At the point I'm resigned to not going.

Thanks for the backup suggestions! Will look into those.
There won't be any retaliation. Hopefully, they stop telling guests DIY!
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Aventine
There won't be any retaliation. Hopefully, they stop telling guests DIY!
Thanks guys for all the help.

As I expected, they finally emailed me yesterday to tell me they *finally* got through to the restaurant and wouldn't you know it it was all booked out.

I'm very upset about this and not sure what else I can do. They really need to step it up on the concierge contacts if they want to be a true luxury hotel...
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:23 pm

Thanks guys for all the help.

As I expected, they finally emailed me yesterday to tell me they *finally* got through to the restaurant and wouldn't you know it it was all booked out.

I'm very upset about this and not sure what else I can do. They really need to step it up on the concierge contacts if they want to be a true luxury hotel...
While the service was sub-par, i wouldn't get too upset about not getting into a 3-star michelin restaurant with only seven seats. Even if the Andaz were on top of it, the odds were stacked against you.
Old Jan 16, 2018, 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by boolean64
While the service was sub-par, i wouldn't get too upset about not getting into a 3-star michelin restaurant with only seven seats. Even if the Andaz were on top of it, the odds were stacked against you.
I understand--part of my disappointment is from the fact that a good friend used the concierge at the Westin to book Yoshitake with zero problems in 2016, and the Hyatt Regency Kyoto was able to get me Kikunoi--again with zero problems. Amex was also able to get me Sushisho Masa with zero problems (I know it's a bit easier than Yoshitake but it's still a top restaurant with less than 10 seats)

Andaz on the other hand from the very beginning tried so hard to temper my expectations. It's like that guy at work that whines about how hard the assignment you gave him was because he really didn't feel like doing it, and then turns in crap work at the end.

Oh well. I'm sure the room and amenities will be lovely. I have no expectations service-wise anymore.
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I understand--part of my disappointment is from the fact that a good friend used the concierge at the Westin to book Yoshitake with zero problems in 2016, and the Hyatt Regency Kyoto was able to get me Kikunoi--again with zero problems. Amex was also able to get me Sushisho Masa with zero problems (I know it's a bit easier than Yoshitake but it's still a top restaurant with less than 10 seats)

Andaz on the other hand from the very beginning tried so hard to temper my expectations. It's like that guy at work that whines about how hard the assignment you gave him was because he really didn't feel like doing it, and then turns in crap work at the end.

Oh well. I'm sure the room and amenities will be lovely. I have no expectations service-wise anymore.
I understand where you're coming from. I don't really use them for any complex tasks anymore either. This hotel relies on hosts to do concierge specific tasks and some of them just don't have the drive or will to get it done. I've been saying they need a dedicated concierge like Maui for years.
I'd recommend PH concierge if you're looking to stay in the Hyatt family. They got me iPhoneX on the release date!
Old Jan 17, 2018, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Aventine
I'd recommend PH concierge if you're looking to stay in the Hyatt family. They got me iPhoneX on the release date!
They (PH) failed to get me into Club 33.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.