Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2018, 5:37 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
While we do not travel to the US anymore and it has been 7 yr since we were last there, I do not recall ever being asked for ID at a hotel in 100+ stays, nor at at least half the places we've stayed in Europe and Asia.
Getting a bit off topic here, but …

I don't know if there is now a law, or just a business practice, but I'm asked to show a photo ID every time I check into a Hyatt property in the US or elsewhere. Ironically, I was recognized and greeted by name last week when checking in to a property where I frequently stay, and I was still asked for my ID along with my credit card.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 7:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
So yes, if you are asked for a passport at check-in in Japan and you say "I'm a Japanese citizen", the clerk might shrug a bit, but I cannot imagine them calling you a liar, so no ID would be required.
You wouldn't even have to lie about being a Japanese citizen. You'd only have to lie about having an address in Japan.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 10:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
Originally Posted by hailstorm
You wouldn't even have to lie about being a Japanese citizen. You'd only have to lie about having an address in Japan.
I may be wrong, but I think guests are legally required to register their (real) name an address, while there is no requirement to register nationality, so registering under a real foreign address while claiming Japanese citizenship should be perfectly legal, registering a false address might be illegal. Of course there is then the question of laws that do not bear penalties, such as the current no-smoking laws.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 5:33 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
Back to the Andaz after a year of absence

Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills - a concept by Hyatt

1-23-4 Toranomon, Minato-ku Tokyo, JP 105-0001

Back to the Andaz after a year of absence (0 Photo)

Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills - a concept by Hyatt

Intro

I find the Andaz to be one of the nicest designed hotels around. I unabashedly love the Park Hyatt Tokyo, but the type of interior design at the Andaz thrills the designer in me to no end. Perfectly spaced controls in the elevator, matched wood colors and perfect lines everywhere. Mmmmh. Satisfying. Even the small, custom control boxes next to the hotel beds have a perfected darkened brass look with clicky control switches, zero plastic and a hefty, handmade wooden enclosure. They do design well in Japan, and the Andaz showcases that beautifully. When I first visited the property, I was only there for a few days, but I left impressed. I vowed to return for a longer stay, which I did... in the heat of summer, during a heatwave.

Changes

The Andaz has made a few small changes, all of which I find great. The breakfast now features a choice of 2 hot dishes to choose from a menu including an excellent benedict and a 'croissant waffle' that looks a bit more like a croissant that had a tragic run-in with a truck tire but tastes light and great. The menubar is more fully stocked and more regularly refilled (in my experience) and a seasonal scent is present at all times in the hotel.

Check In

I arrived with friend in tow from the Park Hyatt Tokyo around 3 PM. We had Privé reservations (and I had Globalist status on top of that) but despite all that we couldn't secure upgrades; the hotel was completely sold out. The online inventory and generally busy grounds backed this up, and they were apologetic about not being able to offer an upgrade. The summer Privé special rate included a 4th night free, $100 F&B credit, and full breakfast daily (perhaps more--?). The 'hosts' checked us in near the large desk they all seem to spawn from when it is host spawning season (I call it 'the hive'); my friend went to check in at the lounge area with the large wood-slab tables adjacent to the entry area instead. We were both taken to our rooms by the helpful staff member who asked if I needed assistance with my luggage. I assumed she meant they'd send my luggage, so I nodded which prompted the tiny Japanese lady to try to lift my (heavy) bags with camera gear as well as my friends' duffle. I instantly felt bad and insisted I carry it to the room.

Room

The room was a standard Tokyo Tower View King, which I think is a fantastic room. I have a profile preference for a high floor; they gave me the highest floor they had, which was a nice touch. Room 5020: 

A welcome amenity of ~$10 wine and some mochi as well as a nice note. The only issue I had with the room was a slight smell of mold in the shower / bath area. 

Service

The stay itself was great. Nothing to remark on. Housekeeping was frequent and efficient. Ever-present hosts and staffers in the lobby area making you feel like you are never far away from help. 

Dining

Got a lot of drinks at the Tavern, visited the Rooftop once (it isn't very happening; we're a young crowd and we wanted to hit it up one night only to find it was closed after midnight on a weekend day. Hum...) and they're both nice bars. The food at the Tavern was subpar outside of the katsu and kara-age; the curry that came with the katsu was close to inedible, and the katsu sandwich was a sad meal altogether. We had lunch and dinner elsewhere during the stay.

The area near the Andaz (Toranomon) is seeing a lot of construction: there'll be a new Hibiya line stop here at some point. I think the neighborhood still has a ways to go before it can be considered interesting or even welcoming; perhaps it's different to Japanese-fluent guests, but we found businesses around Toranomon Hills entirely uninterested in catering to us (even with attempts at Japanese), often sending us away when we tried to come in for lunch with a 'No English' and a dismissive gesture.

There's not a ton to do around the tower itself, and it's still a healthy hike to the station from the Andaz tower itself. In the summer, not so great; during a heatwave in the summer, it meant we had to change shirts by the time we were at the station. People might complain about the location of the Park Hyatt, but the Andaz might be worse in my opinion. At least it was a short cab ride from both Ginza and Roppongi.

(from others in this thread, it seems I might have to explore the area more — I leave that as literal exercise to the reader) 

Overall

Great

The design is still spectacular 
New breakfast a la carte option is good, and buffet is varied enough for a 5 day stay
The pool and spa are a highlight
Great, well appointed base rooms 
Did I mention the design? 

Good

Two bars with good bartenders
Thoughtful service throughout the property
The views! 
The internet was fast: perhaps 3-5 Mbps (300-500Mbit) on wifi
They offer a box of candy when you check out

Bad

The high tea nonsense in the Tavern is insane. Come 1-2 PM, the entire Tavern is flooded with ladies visiting for high tea. Not a big issue, fun for them, but we came down several afternoons hoping to grab a quick bite and a drink only to be unceremoniously told off stating that the tables were all 'taken'. Half the tables would be empty, but apparently reserved for non-guest high tea? This wasn't made clear to us, and was just off-putting. Why not offer us either a restaurant table or, indeed, use the actual restaurant for the high tea as well? It made the lounge / bar area completely unusable from 2 PM to 5 PM. Well monetized hotel bar, terrible guest experience. 

The location still leaves a lot to be desired, and it'd do them well to at least signage which way to go for metro lines. Local businesses are at times unfriendly to foreigners. Not really much to do around Toranomon. 

The rooftop bar needs extended hours on weekends perhaps events to bring in people? and shouldn't close at midnight. Someone also needs to tell the bar staff at both bars that negronis are not made with Aperol. 

Food at the Tavern Bar varies between OK and bad. A re-do of the menu might be in order.

Concluding

In all, I'll definitely be back at the Andaz. There's room for improvement (and I'd love to come back to try a suite) but they're doing wonderful, and as Toranomon as an area grows and fills in I suspect it'll see bigger crowds visiting, more businesses pop up and the area will become more compelling. In the meantime, a good value for money.

Back to the Andaz after a year of absence

Would you like to write a review on the Andaz Tokyo Toranomon Hills - a concept by Hyatt?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Kind of sad a Prive reservation and Globalist combo could not score an Andaz Large room.

I agree about the high tea part. It's a big problem at most Tokyo high end lobby lounges. Great for the hotel but a minor nuisance for those of us who want to enjoy a small meal or coffee with a view.

I would recommend the Andaz Tavern lunch specials or lunch menu if you're looking for delicious, reasonably priced food. The bar menu is pretty bad for what it is.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by Aventine
I agree about the high tea part. It's a big problem at most Tokyo high end lobby lounges. Great for the hotel but a minor nuisance for those of us who want to enjoy a small meal or coffee with a view.
IME Japan in general, unfortunately; I had the same problem at the Conrad Osaka. It's especially annoying when there's nowhere else to go on property for food - or even drinks. At the Conrad Tokyo, for example, the tea service takes over the lobby bar area and none of the restaurants will seat only for drinks, so there's nowhere to go to just grab a drink. I'm sure the afternoon tea service is a huge money grab for the properties, but incredibly annoying for guests.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:03 am

Originally Posted by Aventine
Kind of sad a Prive reservation and Globalist combo could not score an Andaz Large room.
The post-Andrea world.
hailstorm likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by MattEvan
The post-Andrea world.
OTOH, I'm really looking forward to trying the Hyatt Regency Seragaki.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
FYI the Andaz has apparently lost its airport limo bus service. The link on the hotel webpage doesn't work (even though it claims that there is service to/from both NRT and HND, although the latter doesn't matter as much) and when I tried to look at the schedule on the limobus website, the Andaz hotel isn't recognized. I also checked likely routes and didn't find the Andaz listed for any of the stops.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Wouldn't you like to know?!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
FYI the Andaz has apparently lost its airport limo bus service. The link on the hotel webpage doesn't work (even though it claims that there is service to/from both NRT and HND, although the latter doesn't matter as much) and when I tried to look at the schedule on the limobus website, the Andaz hotel isn't recognized. I also checked likely routes and didn't find the Andaz listed for any of the stops.
Andaz Tokyo?Narita Airport?Airport Limousine Bus-Airport Transport Service Co., Ltd
Old Aug 14, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From HND, Andaz is on the Roppongi/Akasaka bus: Roppongi and Akasaka?Route & Fare?Airport Limousine Bus-Airport Transport Service Co., Ltd
Old Sep 28, 2018, 6:11 pm

Is there some sort of concierge email that I'm missing? I contacted the hotel via the host email regarding a restaurant reservation (not at the hotel), and while I got an initial response in about a day (considering time zone differences, that's great), there's been no further replies to my inquiry for about two weeks now. I prodded them again recently asking for an update and am now waiting for their response. I realize restaurant reservations for higher end places in Tokyo are borderline impossible to secure, but the least they could do is say so. Am I just being unrealistic about my expectations of communication for an otherwise excellent hotel?

It seems like that email is shared between all the hosts of the hotel. Maybe that's part of the problem?
Old Sep 28, 2018, 7:09 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lemons Ahoy
Is there some sort of concierge email that I'm missing? I contacted the hotel via the host email regarding a restaurant reservation (not at the hotel), and while I got an initial response in about a day (considering time zone differences, that's great), there's been no further replies to my inquiry for about two weeks now. I prodded them again recently asking for an update and am now waiting for their response. I realize restaurant reservations for higher end places in Tokyo are borderline impossible to secure, but the least they could do is say so. Am I just being unrealistic about my expectations of communication for an otherwise excellent hotel?

It seems like that email is shared between all the hosts of the hotel. Maybe that's part of the problem?
There is an econcierge on their website.

You typically need to book on the 1st of the previous month so depending on your travel dates they may be waiting to contact the restaurant before providing you an update.

Old Sep 28, 2018, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Lemons Ahoy

There's no proper concierge but hosts that take email and concierge requests and hopefully fulfill them. It doesn't always work out very well compared to hotels with a dedicated one.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 10:58 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Am trying to book a room here in early January using points. Base room available on Daily Rate using cash, and yet Hyatt is telling me there's no redemption availability? Tried calling and the guy was adamant they could allocate a certain number of rooms just for points. I informed him that's was only for P+C to no avail.

I thought as long as a standard rate available on base room, then you can redeem?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.