Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Jul 19, 2014, 6:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by hailstorm
I am in a suite. This is SOOOOOOO much better than the regular rooms! It far exceeds even the Park Suite.

A shame that this will be my only time staying in it.
Lucky duck. Can't wait to see pics on your blog.
Old Jul 19, 2014, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
The suites have Argan amenities from France.

They are nice, but smell like a fruity dessert. Park Hyatt's Aesop is still the king.
Old Jul 20, 2014, 4:42 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Did a quick public areas tour a few days ago while staying at the Grand. Reminds me very much of the PH Shanghai, so no huge surprise that it's the same designer, Tony Chi, this time in collaboration with a local Japanese designer as well.

The actual check in / lobby area is tiny. I was told by some trusted friends working there that it has been extremely busy during check in's and really not designed for the volume they are receiving, especially on Friday's at 3pm.

Interesting to note that the clientele has been 80% domestic, seems a lot of Tokyo locals making a weekend getaway out of it.

Public spaces and restaurants looked very nice, everything brand new of course, and extremely modern. Rather spacious with the exception of the actual check in area. The bar is VERY reminiscent of the PH Shanghai, with a great view.

Looking forward to staying there later this year when the service kinks are worked out. FWIW, Toranomon Hills looked surprisingly nice with an impressive array of interesting restaurants, almost a mini Roppongi Hills. Too bad the surrounding area seemed dead quiet, but the complex is a virtual oasis and I can see spending some time there in the evenings during a stay.

But for the foreseeable future, especially given the suite situation, looks like GHT/PHT will continue to be my destinations of choice. I'll revisit that opinion after a stay or two.
Old Jul 23, 2014, 5:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Some pictures of the Andaz Suite are now up on my blog.

On the whole, I had a much better experience this time around. My two biggest issues with the hotel last time were the room and the service. The suite is spectacular, and I found the service to be a lot more consistent this time around. Not perfect, but getting better.

We tried some more room service this time around, but the results were disappointing. The burger was still great, but there's only one kind to order on the menu, so having the same thing again was kind of boring. The udon was so-so, and the yaki-udon was way too spicy. We ended up bringing up food from the convenience store on the second night to eat while watching the lightning show.

I think I would stay here again if I could stay in a suite. But the suite costs much more than even the Park Suite, so if they are not going to allow the Diamond Suite Upgrades going forward, then I will happily stay at a different Hyatt hotel's suite for a fraction of the cost.

All in all, I struggle to think of what the Andaz Tokyo's place is in the pantheon of Tokyo's Hyatt hotels. It is not as luxurious as the Park Hyatt. It is certainly nowhere near as good a value as the Hyatt Regency. And the location and entertainment options aren't even close to what the Grand Hyatt has to offer.

As I mentioned to someone on Twitter, Andaz Tokyo seems to be the place for bored rich people to see and be seen at. Maybe they are shooting for the Ritz-Carlton Tokyo crowd of new money Asians with no manners, that flaunt their wealth at every opportunity?

If Park Hyatt Tokyo is the aspiration property, then I guess that would make Andaz Tokyo the asspirational property?
Old Jul 25, 2014, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Some pictures of the Andaz Suite are now up on my blog.

On the whole, I had a much better experience this time around. My two biggest issues with the hotel last time were the room and the service. The suite is spectacular, and I found the service to be a lot more consistent this time around. Not perfect, but getting better.

We tried some more room service this time around, but the results were disappointing. The burger was still great, but there's only one kind to order on the menu, so having the same thing again was kind of boring. The udon was so-so, and the yaki-udon was way too spicy. We ended up bringing up food from the convenience store on the second night to eat while watching the lightning show.

I think I would stay here again if I could stay in a suite. But the suite costs much more than even the Park Suite, so if they are not going to allow the Diamond Suite Upgrades going forward, then I will happily stay at a different Hyatt hotel's suite for a fraction of the cost.

All in all, I struggle to think of what the Andaz Tokyo's place is in the pantheon of Tokyo's Hyatt hotels. It is not as luxurious as the Park Hyatt. It is certainly nowhere near as good a value as the Hyatt Regency. And the location and entertainment options aren't even close to what the Grand Hyatt has to offer.

As I mentioned to someone on Twitter, Andaz Tokyo seems to be the place for bored rich people to see and be seen at. Maybe they are shooting for the Ritz-Carlton Tokyo crowd of new money Asians with no manners, that flaunt their wealth at every opportunity?

If Park Hyatt Tokyo is the aspiration property, then I guess that would make Andaz Tokyo the asspirational property?
Zing! And I just did a cash and points booking for this hotel on the basis of Andazmania. The burger and spa are my consolation prizes I guess.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
Zing! And I just did a cash and points booking for this hotel on the basis of Andazmania. The burger and spa are my consolation prizes I guess.
Don't get me wrong, I had a great time and I'm sure that you will too. I'm certainly glad I had the chance to experience it once (twice).

But, having now experienced it, I can't think of a reason to choose it over HRT, GHT, or PHT in the future. The suite would have been that reason, but they've decided that everyone needs to pay a 200,000 yen initiation fee to join that club, which I'm not willing to pay when I could stay in a Park Suite for less than a fourth of the cost.
Old Jul 25, 2014, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't get me wrong, I had a great time and I'm sure that you will too. I'm certainly glad I had the chance to experience it once (twice).

But, having now experienced it, I can't think of a reason to choose it over HRT, GHT, or PHT in the future. The suite would have been that reason, but they've decided that everyone needs to pay a 200,000 yen initiation fee to join that club, which I'm not willing to pay when I could stay in a Park Suite for less than a fourth of the cost.
I really want to stay at the MO but wife wants to try the latest thing. She wins end of story. From what I've read on your fabulous page, I can't really see a reason to choose it over the other usual suspects in the Hyatt lineup either. it doesn't WOW me either.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 12:57 am

you can use your points on suites right at the regular rate? just do that if you really want it, i guess
Old Jul 26, 2014, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by yerffej201
you can use your points on suites right at the regular rate?
No, you cannot. I was curious about this and just called the Diamond Line to ask, and they said that the hotel has not made any suites available for points reservations.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 6:37 pm

No, you cannot. I was curious about this and just called the Diamond Line to ask, and they said that the hotel has not made any suites available for points reservations.
wait, so suites aren't bookable period with points? wow, that sucks...
it doesn't show up on their properties which don't allow suite redemptions yet. guess they have to change that.
Old Jul 26, 2014, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Their email English leaves a lot to be desired. They got my Japanese friend's name wrong twice as an add on for something.
Old Jul 28, 2014, 3:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ainternational
Looking forward to staying there later this year when the service kinks are worked out. FWIW, Toranomon Hills looked surprisingly nice with an impressive array of interesting restaurants, almost a mini Roppongi Hills. Too bad the surrounding area seemed dead quiet, but the complex is a virtual oasis and I can see spending some time there in the evenings during a stay.
Of course, if you're willing to walk five or six minutes, you can reach the underbelly of Shinbashi, where you can find everything from prosciutto to prostitution...
Old Aug 12, 2014, 2:56 am

Does anyone have any experience with paying to upgrade an award reservation at this property? I have booked with P&C and would like to upgrade to bay view.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 5:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MikeFromTokyo
Does anyone have any experience with paying to upgrade an award reservation at this property? I have booked with P&C and would like to upgrade to bay view.
I emailed Mr. Saint Exupery with that same question but either it's beneath him to respond or got lost in the Hyatt corporate email account. I'll let you know on Friday when I check in.
Old Aug 12, 2014, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
I emailed Mr. Saint Exupery with that same question but either it's beneath him to respond or got lost in the Hyatt corporate email account.
Cold calling the GM as your first point of contact for a room upgrade seems like overkill. Why not reach out to Ms. Andrea Lobo?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.