Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Andaz Tokyo - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old Sep 3, 2019, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by andreiz
Yes, I understand they can't guarantee it. Just emailed back asking if a Tower View room is available upon check-in, whether they would upgrade me. We'll see.
I don't know when you're going but one is almost always made available for Globalists.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2019, 5:27 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Always had a Tower view room when I was Diamond/Globalist. I think there was one time I didn't, and it was because they were full. Didn't matter if it was a paid or award stay. They always made it happen, unrequested. I actually started requesting rooms on other sides of the building just for a change of scenery.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, UA
We had a 7-night award stay in May as an Explorist and received an upgrade to a Park View room, which was perfectly adequate. Since the room size and layout are all the same, I wouldn't be willing to spend the rate difference to upgrade.

For those who do not get comped breakfast, in the lobby lounge there was juice (2 changing varieties each day, but they are all in the fridge so it is easy to help yourself if your preference is not on the table), fruit (bananas and strawberries every day of our 7 days), granola bars, and pastries (rotating between danish, muffins, and donuts), plus of course coffee and tea, and milk (and I imagine all of the carbonated soft drinks) in the fridge. We were perfectly fine with that, and except on one morning when there was another guest using his laptop we were the only ones in the lounge around 8-9 am.

The food offerings at the evening happy hour were a bit better than during our stay last year, but varied significantly in quality and replenishment frequency from day to day. The same 2 mediocre wines each night, and unfortunately this year there was no standard sake (which last year was much better quality than the wine), just the same syrupy sweet sake each night (although I saw a number of guests who said they liked it), and one night there was a bartender mixing a speciality cocktail for a portion of the happy hour. All in all, if I were visiting on an international trip I certainly would not go too far out of my way for the happy hour, but with the exception of no hard liquor, I find it as nice or better than many Hyatt lounges.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
Always had a Tower view room when I was Diamond/Globalist. I think there was one time I didn't, and it was because they were full. Didn't matter if it was a paid or award stay. They always made it happen, unrequested. I actually started requesting rooms on other sides of the building just for a change of scenery.
When I was Diamond, I generally got the Large King.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:00 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by OsakaWino
with the exception of no hard liquor, I find it as nice or better than many Hyatt lounges.
While the Andaz Tokyo lounge is decent, it's worth noting that the GH Tokyo lounge and HR Tokyo lounge offer much more substantial F&B in the evenings. In particular, the GH Tokyo lounge may have one of the best evening food offerings of any Hyatt lounge.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by lamont2718
While the Andaz Tokyo lounge is decent, it's worth noting that the GH Tokyo lounge and HR Tokyo lounge offer much more substantial F&B in the evenings. In particular, the GH Tokyo lounge may have one of the best evening food offerings of any Hyatt lounge.
Unless HR Tokyo has recently improved their evening food offerings significantly, I would say that the Andaz is unequivocally better. As for the GH lounge food, while it is well above what is on offer at Andaz, I only found it about on par with GH Fukuoka and certainly well below the level of GH HK. On the other hand, the GH Tokyo had the best still wine of any hotel lounge I have ever been in. Indeed, it was the only lounge where the still wine was something I would serve as the first wine of the evening at home.

In any case, I was not comparing Andaz Tokyo with the other Hyatts in Tokyo, but rather, mostly for the reference of readers, Hyatt lounges in general, most of which are in the US.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 6:39 am

Andaz vs GHT

Can anyone share experience between these two hotels? To me GHT seems better in terms of dining options, lounge, location. But Andaz definitely has more unique feeling and WOW factor. which has the better breakfast?

I saw many talk about the fancy hot tubs in Andaz, how good they are compare those in GHT?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 8:56 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
I was surprised a Hyatt Globalist friend wasn’t interested in this highly regarded Andaz...until he mentioned something about the green carpeting. I thought he was kidding until I saw the room photos. The green carpets truly are hideous.

What the heck is this hotel thinking?
callmedtop likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by bhrubin
The green carpets truly are hideous.

If the worst thing someone has to say about a hotel is that they dislike the color of the carpets, then I would say the hotel is pretty close to perfect.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 9:32 am
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by OsakaWino
If the worst thing someone has to say about a hotel is that they dislike the color of the carpets, then I would say the hotel is pretty close to perfect.
Huh? If a major design element in a hotel room is hideous, I am curious how that qualifies as close to perfect? The green carpeting isn’t even remotely appealing.
hailstorm likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

I was surprised a Hyatt Globalist friend wasn’t interested in this highly regarded Andaz...until he mentioned something about the green carpeting. I thought he was kidding until I saw the room photos. The green carpets truly are hideous.

What the heck is this hotel thinking?
Ask Tony Chi. Everything else was done tastefully or functionally then you see the 70s era green carpets.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 10:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Don't people also complain about the green carpets in the Tokyo PH?
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Huh? If a major design element in a hotel room is hideous, I am curious how that qualifies as close to perfect? The green carpeting isn’t even remotely appealing.
If the worst thing someone has to say about a hotel is that one of the five senses was constantly assaulted, then I would say the hotel is pretty close to perfect.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 3:15 pm
Suspended
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by hailstorm
If the worst thing someone has to say about a hotel is that one of the five senses was constantly assaulted, then I would say the hotel is pretty close to perfect.
Okay...

I'll leave you to the pretty close to perfect hotel that assaults our vision...while I choose to find a hotel that doesn't assault any senses which I'm pretty sure most will say is a lot closer to perfect. Since there are so many other great hotels in Tokyo that don't assault any senses, I think your "pretty close to perfect" qualifies as a mere 7 on a scale of 10 or more.

The perfection nonsense is a red herring, by the way. No one is talking about any hotel being perfect. I'm just talking about the Andaz green carpeting being ugly.

Until yesterday, I had no idea there was such horrible green carpeting at the Andaz and always assumed this hotel was understandably among the top properties in the city. Now I know better. And I know that there are a lot of apologists trying to make excuses for the horrible green carpeting. Yikes.

Pretty close to perfect? That's the ultimate in irony.
Old Sep 12, 2019, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Dude, that was sarcasm. I'm on your side...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.