KAUAI: Coco Palms Resort.

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2014, 4:26 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
KAUAI: Coco Palms Resort.

According to this article in the Honolulu Star Advertiser:

The historic, iconic and once hurricane-devastated Coco Palms Resort on Kauai will reopen under Hyatt Hotels' management, according to an announcement this morning.

Reconstruction of the world-famous property, all but destroyed by Hurricane Iniki in 1992, will begin early next year, with the resort to reopen to guests in 2017.

Hyatt Press Release
Old May 21, 2014, 4:46 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob
Very good to hear...Glad its coming back, and even more so that it will be under the Hyatt umbrella!
Old May 21, 2014, 8:42 pm

Programs: ex-Delta DM (NWA was nice while it lasted), Hyatt Diamond
Boy, that is really interesting. If this opens up more Hyatt space on the island, that would be great but I'll be curious to see what they do, as that part of the island, though - clearly not as resorty as Poipu or dramatic as Hanalei, and with the almost abandoned Coconut Marketplace, that kind of is an indicator of the area, to some extent at least, and what will they do for beach access?

Closer to Kintaro's though, that always helps.
Old May 21, 2014, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It was rumored to join spg...
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/starw...ai-hawaii.html
Old May 21, 2014, 9:26 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
I'll believe it when it happens. Kapaa has it's own beach-town charm and I would split the stay, but I'll believe it when it happens.
Old May 21, 2014, 10:00 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, DL PM
me too...when I was there, a local mentioned that place has been owned several times over the years but being a historical site, very little could be changed and that always stopped any restoration.
Old May 22, 2014, 6:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I suspect it will not be nearly as nice as the GH. It is across the street from the beach and there isn't a whole lot of land there. Perhaps it will be a Hyatt Place, but I certainly wouldn't pay a whole lot of money to stay there.
Old May 22, 2014, 8:53 am
No longer used by Hyatt; use World of Hyatt Concierge

The Coco Palms Resort

Dear Flyertalkers,

Devastated by Hurricane Iniki in 1992, the revitalization of the 363-room historic hotel is scheduled to begin in early 2015 and following a two-year reconstruction period, is expected to re-open in early 2017. The Coco Palms Resort redevelopment is being spearheaded by the owner and developer, Coco Palms Hui LLC, and it will continue to operate as The Coco Palms Resort under the umbrella of Hyatt.
Old May 22, 2014, 10:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
So what is it going to be:

Hyatt Regency Coco Palms,
Park Hyatt Coco Palms, (they would have to double the size of the rooms)
or Andaz Coco Palms,

definitely not a Hyatt Place Coco Palms, it doesn't sound good.

Any idea?
Old May 23, 2014, 4:53 am

Originally Posted by suite2suite

or Andaz Coco Palms,

Any idea?
None of the above,
Old May 24, 2014, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by suite2suite

or Andaz Coco Palms,

Any idea?
Gold Passport Concierge said:
"it will continue to operate as The Coco Palms Resort under the umbrella of Hyatt"

We have the Driskill here in Austin. I guess Kauai can have a Coco Palms Resort brand there. It doesn't have to be GH or PH. The only real question is what category will it be when it opens.
Old May 24, 2014, 12:47 pm

Programs: Hyatt diamond
Originally Posted by eltex
Gold Passport Concierge said:
"it will continue to operate as The Coco Palms Resort under the umbrella of Hyatt"

We have the Driskill here in Austin. I guess Kauai can have a Coco Palms Resort brand there. It doesn't have to be GH or PH. The only real question is what category will it be when it opens.
That's right, they also have the Hyatt Paris Madeleine...
Old May 30, 2014, 1:42 pm
Used to be " vincentppetty "

Programs: DL Platinum/1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Titanium; Loews Platinum; GHA/Omni Platinum; Hilton Gold
Smile

Sounds exciting ... I have often wanted to see what could become of the Coco Palms ... this definitely could be a good thing for Hyatt presence on the Island
Old May 30, 2014, 3:00 pm

Originally Posted by Mary2e
I suspect it will not be nearly as nice as the GH. It is across the street from the beach and there isn't a whole lot of land there. Perhaps it will be a Hyatt Place, but I certainly wouldn't pay a whole lot of money to stay there.
The location is much better than the GH as its central to both the South and North shores. Besides, it's not like the GH beach access is all that stellar either.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 3:09 pm

For those of you wondering if the iconic Coco Palms Resort on Kaua'i will reopen as a Hyatt Regency; a Hyatt; a Grand Hyatt; a Park Hyatt; a Hyatt Place or an Andaz property, since it had
already been announced that Hyatt will manage the soon to be renovated property, my understanding is that the property will not go by any of these names, but rather a newly introduced brand, not yet announced by Chicago based Hyatt Hotels Corp. Also, for all of the people that have blogged that this property cannot thrive on this side of the island, I beg to differ. Yes, the Coconut Marketplace in Kapaa is nearly vacant, but that side of the island has alot of new exciting projects in the works, including the Aloha Beach Hotel, (formerly the Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort) where I have stayed a time or two, is going to open up as Hawai'i's second announced Hilton Garden Inn, sometime in the first quarter of 2016; the first announced HGI will open in the second quarter of 2016, at the site of the fmr Ohana West Waikiki on Kuhio Ave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.