Search

KAUAI: Coco Palms Resort.

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:34 pm
Moderator: Mileage Run, United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 3MM; Hyatt Glob*****; Hilton Diamond
Coco Palms Resort up for sale again.

Developers who have been working over the past seven years to revitalize the shuttered Coco Palms Resort on Kauai are putting the property on the market.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 8:10 pm

Well that'll be the end of that then.
Old Jun 8, 2019, 8:51 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
One More Time

https://www.thegardenisland.com/2019...ty-to-be-sold/

If it ever really reopens I suppose I'll book a night or two just because of what it once was. I've got a nostalgic streak a mile wide. It would be stretch walking distance to some interesting dining in Kaapa, but I think still possible.

But still I'll believe it when I see it. It's time has passed and you can't go back. Cultural use makes more sense, and current traffic will overwhelm it.

Last edited by jayer; Jun 8, 2019 at 8:57 am
Old Aug 12, 2020, 10:39 am

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
Current Local Newspaper Article

https://www.thegardenisland.com/2020...alms-reviewed/

Not much new news. But with millions already sunk into it, I am standing by for entertaining zoning hearings when the permits expire next year. Probably followed by a lawsuit when the permits are likely not extended (because it's been years, and the county commission telegraphed last time they were through with extensions).
Old Aug 12, 2020, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
As the image showed for the current condition of the property, there's nothing left there to save.

David
Old Jul 3, 2021, 6:13 am
skj

Programs: UA 2MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Gold
The latest in this saga ... A foreclosure auction for the property.

Coco Palms auction July 26 | The Garden Island
Old Jul 3, 2021, 8:56 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globlist, Hilton Silver, Amtrak Select Plus, UA Silver
Another one bites the dust.
Old Jul 4, 2021, 9:49 am

Will be interesting to see if anyone actually tries to buy it out of foreclosure and do anything with it, which would throw the island for still another loop. Not to mention the high probability of litigation.

Has been an eyesore for decades, and what was an idyllic location has turned into a very congested corner. Badly needs the tract repurposed to a less-dense, more culturally-appropriate something else. Or just back to nature..
Old Jul 4, 2021, 11:28 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Starwood Gold
Or it could be a hotel...
Old Jul 4, 2021, 1:44 pm

Or it could be a hotel...
The year-round Kauai residents I know fear that it will. You can't get through Kap'aa now, let alone that intersection.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Coco Palms Resort, Famous for Elvis’ ‘Blue Hawaii’ Movie, Will Be Rebuilt

https://www.billboard.com/music/musi...lt-1235303868/

It is unclear which flag it will be under.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 6:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
The Honolulu Star Advertiser article that is the basis for the billboard story: https://archive.ph/J0DU0
Old Apr 16, 2023, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by TerryK
Coco Palms Resort, Famous for Elvis’ ‘Blue Hawaii’ Movie, Will Be Rebuilt

https://www.billboard.com/music/musi...lt-1235303868/

It is unclear which flag it will be under.
Originally Posted by notquiteaff
The Honolulu Star Advertiser article that is the basis for the billboard story: https://archive.ph/J0DU0
I guess let's see a) that they actually do the demo of the old place (remember that multiple efforts have come and gone since Iniki) and then b) get approval to actually go build (given some of the Native Hawaiian opposition).

David
bsdstone and notquiteaff like this.

Last edited by DELee; Apr 16, 2023 at 8:52 pm Reason: tpyos
Old Apr 16, 2023, 10:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by DELee
I guess let's see a) that they actually do the demo of the old place (remember that multiple efforts have come and gone since Iniki) and then b) get approval to actually go build (given some of the Native Hawaiian opposition).

David
I have a trip planned to the north shore later this year, so I guess I will see if there is any progress on the demolition. It’s been sad to see this place over the years. I didn’t know the history of it until I saw this thread a few years ago.
bsdstone likes this.
Old Apr 17, 2023, 8:24 pm

Anytime I hear anything about the Coco Palms, I'm reminded of South Park: Going Native (S16:E11)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Going_Native

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.