Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Portland Maine REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2014, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond

Staying at HP Portland tonight, opening night. Really nice job, everything new, built from the ground up. And much better location than the Hilton Garden Inn I was staying in - this place is right in the heart of the Old Port area, so many restaurants, bars, and shops right at the hotel's doorstep. Never saw so many valets waiting to park cars - there were around 6 guys out there, all in uniform. Everyone so friendly and exciting (as one would expect on opening night). Very fun night, so glad this hotel has opened.

Happy with the room so far, great tv, direct tv service with tons of channels, easy hook-ups for other devices. Internet speed is good - 5mps down, 3mps up. Bathroom large (though not the largest countertop), wiht a nice walk-in shower. Room is on high floor, with very nice harbor views.

Fitness facilities nice, 3 treadmills, plus other machines. Indoor pool with a few tables/loungers around it.

Parking: Valet parking $18/night, unlimited in/out. The valet ticket has a personalized code to text in order to retrieve your car (or you can call them if you prefer).

My only complaint so far is the noise from the hall (and other rooms). As I walked to my room, I could hear a baby crying from another room. After I was in my room, unfortunately I could still hear the crying baby. Wish there was more soundproofing all around.

Otherwise, great stay so far. Attaching a few pictures from my room.

MORNING UPDATE: A few more comments after spending the night:

NOISE: The noise outside the hotel is intolerable. I originally saw the location (being right in the middle of everything in the Old Port area) as a major plus. I didn't realize how noisy the area is, due to all the bars and nightclubs, with their blasting music and loud crowds. This continued until 1 AM (when the bars closed), and at that point, all the crowds must have moved out into the streets, because the noise continued (though without the music). I was kept awake until almost 1:30 AM, which is not acceptable in my books. I spoke with the General Manager this morning, asking if this was still a work in process, would there be more window glazing (or other sound-proofing solution). He said no, unfortunately. I can only image this issue getting worse as the summer approaches and the tourists arrive.

BREAKFAST: I guess the 'skillet' choices are standard fare. They looked nice, but I didn't try any. Instead I look forward to a nice bowl of oatmeal every morning (I am on the road 4 nights per week, 40-45 weeks per year). No oatmeal. All the fixings were there, but no oatmeal. The GM talked to the kitchen, said I would have some in 6 minutes, but in the end it took 25 minutes to arrive, and didn't look very good. I attribute this to opening-day issues, I'm sure this will be worked out.

CONCLUSION: I have decided to NOT move my project team to this hotel, solely because of the overnight noise issue. Instead we will continue to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, slightly outside the center district (about a 5-7 minute walk away), but it is so peaceful and quiet there, something I didn't fully appreciate until last night.

SanDiego1K likes this.

Last edited by GuysInCT; May 21, 2014 at 6:48 am Reason: Added comments from this morning
Old May 20, 2014, 7:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thanks for the report ^
Old May 20, 2014, 7:50 pm

Programs: Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
THanks for the report, GuysinCT! Love their walk-in showers.
Old May 21, 2014, 4:59 am

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
We were booked at the Holiday Inn. Now I'm really psyched.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:49 am
Original Poster

Updates made to my earlier review

I have added some additional comments this morning to my original review, based on my overnight stay. Here they are:

MORNING UPDATE: A few more comments after spending the night:

NOISE: The noise outside the hotel is intolerable. I originally saw the location (being right in the middle of everything in the Old Port area) as a major plus. I didn't realize how noisy the area is, due to all the bars and nightclubs, with their blasting music and loud crowds. This continued until 1 AM (when the bars closed), and at that point, all the crowds must have moved out into the streets, because the noise continued (though without the music). I was kept awake until almost 1:30 AM, which is not acceptable in my books. I spoke with the General Manager this morning, asking if this was still a work in process, would there be more window glazing (or other sound-proofing solution). He said no, unfortunately. I can only image this issue getting worse as the summer approaches and the tourists arrive.

BREAKFAST: I guess the 'skillet' choices are standard fare. They looked nice, but I didn't try any. Instead I look forward to a nice bowl of oatmeal every morning (I am on the road 4 nights per week, 40-45 weeks per year). No oatmeal. All the fixings were there, but no oatmeal. The GM talked to the kitchen, said I would have some in 6 minutes, but in the end it took 25 minutes to arrive, and didn't look very good. I attribute this to opening-day issues, I'm sure this will be worked out.

CONCLUSION: I have decided to NOT move my project team to this hotel, solely because of the overnight noise issue. Instead we will continue to stay at the Hilton Garden Inn, slightly outside the center district (about a 5-7 minute walk away), but it is so peaceful and quiet there, something I didn't fully appreciate until last night.
Old May 21, 2014, 8:53 am

I appreciate the comments on the noise. That'll definitely mean I keep putting family and friends up at the HGI or Residence Inn when they come to visit. I'm still excited for this hotel to open, as it provides a mattress run opportunity that wasn't there before, in the event that there's some way I'm close to keeping Hyatt status next year. Unless something changes, cash and points will be 4,000 and $50 at this property.
Old May 21, 2014, 6:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Bonvoy LT Plat Elite, BA Gold
I'm disappointed! Wanted to stay here this summer but a quiet room is a priority for me.
Are there any quieter rooms (at the back of the property perhaps)?
Old May 22, 2014, 6:42 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Thank you, GuysInCT. I'm especially glad to learn that it's valet parking for a fee. As I recall, this isn't the case with the Hilton Garden Inn or the Holiday Inn.

As a brand new Hyatt Place, it's too bad that they haven't gotten the thin walls problem right. If there is not noise, the problem I've encountered at many HPs is the reverberation from doors slamming down the hall. And the air handling - is it same ol' same ol'? ...Come to think of it, if so, given the comments above, maybe HP's standard m.o. is a good thing here - white noise.
Old May 22, 2014, 7:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Firewind
Thank you, GuysInCT. I'm especially glad to learn that it's valet parking for a fee. As I recall, this isn't the case with the Hilton Garden Inn or the Holiday Inn.
Valet parking is $18 per night. At the HGI, it is $15 per night. Not sure on the Holiday Inn.
Old Jun 1, 2014, 8:19 am

Too bad about the noise, but I guess if I can survive a stay on Shaftesbury in London on a weekend, I can survive anything. Thank god for those gun shop ear plugs. I'm just glad it's close to the ferries and stuff.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 4:31 am

We just got back from staying there 5 nights. The place is great and really close to the old port. It was my first stay at a HP and I loved it.

The shower head wasn't working and they had a guy up who had it fixed within two hours. Breakfast was alright.

As far as noise, just request an odd numbered room. They don't face Fore Street and the room was plenty quiet even during the rowdy Old Port Festival. And be sure to check out the Fore Street Grill down the street. Very nice.

Just one thing though. Don't tell any locals you're staying there. One of the tour bus guides was complaining about how ugly the Holiday Inn was and how it looked like something from an Eastern Bloc country. Then he said he'd sure be glad when they finally finished the exterior of the HP cause he thought it was even worse than the HI and then quickly asked if anyone was staying there. I told him we were and that yup, it's all finished! Did he ever let out a groan as did other people in the van.

Anyhow, I'd go back in a second.

Oh, and we didn't get a room with a walk-in shower for some reason which would have been nice. We had a tub shower combo, but it was just fine.
Old Jun 12, 2014, 8:36 am

Originally Posted by tmorse6570
We just got back from staying there 5 nights. The place is great and really close to the old port. It was my first stay at a HP and I loved it.

The shower head wasn't working and they had a guy up who had it fixed within two hours. Breakfast was alright.

As far as noise, just request an odd numbered room. They don't face Fore Street and the room was plenty quiet even during the rowdy Old Port Festival. And be sure to check out the Fore Street Grill down the street. Very nice.

Just one thing though. Don't tell any locals you're staying there. One of the tour bus guides was complaining about how ugly the Holiday Inn was and how it looked like something from an Eastern Bloc country. Then he said he'd sure be glad when they finally finished the exterior of the HP cause he thought it was even worse than the HI and then quickly asked if anyone was staying there. I told him we were and that yup, it's all finished! Did he ever let out a groan as did other people in the van.

Anyhow, I'd go back in a second.

Oh, and we didn't get a room with a walk-in shower for some reason which would have been nice. We had a tub shower combo, but it was just fine.
Sorry, surliness and resistance to change are local traits

I'm "from away" after all. Apparently so is my daughter, despite being born in Portland. Mainer status is not granted jure solis after all.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 4:05 pm
Community Director Emerita

GuysInCT nailed it in his review on his first night stay. I'll repeat several of his sentiments in my comments.

Parking
Valet parking is $18 with in and out privileges. Self parking is $30 across the street. Guess which we chose.

Check in
Staff was delightful. We were offered a water view room though were warned about noise. The room is a little smaller than the Amerisuites that are the foundation for the brand. There is no microwave oven, though there is a mini refrigerator empty for your own products. The bathroom is off the entry hall, more convenient than the Amerisuite properties that have it off the bedroom. There is a walk in shower that I prefer to a tub.

Noise
Oh, my. The hotel is in the pulsing heart of the city. Band music goes til 1am. I honestly thought I could manage. I love a great view, and I knew it would be in the morning. We had ear plugs with us. But the ear plugs didn't mask the beat, and we were kept awake til the music ended. This is a new build. What were they thinking?!?? Yes, in the morning we had a phenomenal view of the boats moving thru the harbor. But we moved. Even number rooms look to the water and have the noise. Odd number rooms look toward another high rise and are quiet. Take your pick. And perhaps the bands only play during the summer months. I don't know.

Breakfast
They stop serving at 9am. That seems really early in the summer, especially for folks from the west coast.

I love the location. It's easy to walk to shops and to restaurants. We come to Portland every 2 or 3 years, and were amazed at all that has opened since we were last here.

Will I return?
I'm not sure. Points redemption is great value here, 8K/night even on summer weekends when rates skyrocket. But the noise. We've always been given a water view room at the Hilton Garden Inn where it is very quiet. Yes, Hyatt Place has a better location, but the noise is a huge downside.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 5:04 pm

Well, thanks for letting me know you'd be in town Would have bought you a drink across the street at Central Provisions or something.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 7:07 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
Well, thanks for letting me know you'd be in town Would have bought you a drink across the street at Central Provisions or something.
I would have loved it. Next time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.