Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Hyatt | World of Hyatt
Reload this Page >

Hyatt Place Charlotte/Downtown - REVIEW - MASTER THREAD

Old May 16, 14, 8:41 am
Original Poster

I'll start with a wager. Anyone who believes that all Hyatt Places are the same, bet me one dollar more than the combined price of an air ticket and taxi to this hotel and you're on! ...or I could e-mail you pictures of my room.

Stay dates: 11-16 May, 2014

Background: Still new and shiny at date of stay.

Location: Three blocks from what seems to be the heart of the business district, with more than enough shopping and restaurants for anyone but my wife. Light rail reachable by a thrown stone. Far enough from the EpiCenter (mall, nightlife spot) to be quiet (unlike the aLoft). $25 fixed rate cab ride from the airport.

Arrival: As called for under the 14th Commandment, when staying at a hotel downtown in a mid-sized to large city, thou shalt pay for parking. $20/day, valet only. There are lots around, but I didn't explore them. My skateboard came up to my room with me. Depending on your approach, your might miss the place. Signage is mainly atop the building, 14 floors up. Ground floor is a small business-building-like lobby. Hotel lobby is on the 10th floor. Second and third floors are parking. The hotel is floors 7 through 13. The fourth, fifth and sixth floors were apparently abducted. The ground floor is filled with perplexed travelers. ("Lobby is where?!), but there is a host to direct, seemingly 24 hours a day. The hotel lobby/breakfast area is not terribly unlike a Hyatt Place, though the furnishing are different...but it's three-times normal size. I think it occupies about 80% of the whole floor; I didn't see any rooms on that floor, though there is a little carve-out with a conference room, separate fitness center and ???. A huge expanse of windows. (Remember, we're ten floors up.) There's the usual food counter, bar area. (The host mentioned a full-service restaurant associated with the hotel, on the top floor, near pool, but I didn't catch the details.) Check in was fast and easy. No problems. And I was dispatched to my room...

Room: I'm not sure I've ever typed this sequence of lettesr before but...OMG. Again, I've got photos. I entered a hallway (?) leading to a little kitchen-looking thing (wet bar, counter, refrigerator). To the left of the kitchen, a large table, could seat five. Convenient power jack. Beyond that, the TV room with facing couch and screen. Open cabinets below. Behind the TV wall, the bedroom, attached to the TV room by a door. The bedroom was dominated by the bed, but there was a lot of space between the king bed and the window. Great view from window (which spanned both bedroom and TV room). Large closet with a door and a room safe.
Circling around, the bathroom. Not a sink in the room (typical Hyatt Place), but a bathROOM. Large walk-in shower. No tub. Big sink. Lots of space in the room, though usual-sized counter around sink. Full circle, you're back to the dining room. Note: this was obviously an upgraded room. I didn't see any standard rooms. But I've never seen a room like this in 100 or so Hyatt Places I've visited. (Reno, NV comes closest.)

Facilities: I really only care about the StayFit. It's big and has a grand view. Current version Life Fitness equipment. 1 recumbent bike, 2 ellipticals, 3 treadmills and the usual rack of weights. Lots of space. Clean and everything works - typical new hotel. Otherwise, three computers on a long desk in the lobby.

Breakfast: All I care about is the fruit bowl. It was fine. I know others care about the other stuff, so I paid a little attention. Three hot items: one heavy carb (pancakes, french toast, waffles), two egg+muffin hot things. Oatmeal. (Strict vegetarians beware: appears to be made with milk or cream.) All in all, this was the part that most resembled the usual Hyatt Place..

Departure: Mainly sad. Seriously, it was a great stay. My bill was correct. They emailed me a soft copy.

They talk about Southern hospitality. It's happening here. I don't think I saw anyone not seemingly happy, glad to see me, interested in my stay, wanting to do...whatever.

I just booked my next two stays, even knowing my room upgrade miracle probably won't happen again. Not much lingering appeal in the Westin, Hilton, aLoft or the world's worst Sheraton (under renovations).

Footnote: There's a Hyatt House a couple of blocks away. I didn't check that out.

Last edited by 365RoadWarrior; May 7, 15 at 11:18 am
Old May 16, 14, 11:58 am

Thanks for your post. I stayed here about a week after it opened (in December?) and had a somewhat different experience. We were put in a room on the narrow North side of the building (view of the arena and H House two blocks away).

I had thought the room was quite small for a H Place ("but I am a Diamond...") and the furnishings and fittings were truly unremarkable. It had a cramped feel.

Very glad the rooms facing the skyline are better, I'll ask for one of those next time I am there. The view from the 10th floor lobby is very good.

Based on this single experience I generally default to the nearby Hyatt House which I have always found to be a great property. They provided me with two complementary upgrades to a suite, which is a fantastic room with a large patio (but it may have the worst view in Charlotte). Thanks to your review I'll give the downtown HP another shot.

There is also a new Rocco Whalen restaurant on the roof of the building (Farenheit). I have heard good things about it, although it is $$$.

Unrelated to Hyatt in Charlotte, I have heard that the downtown Mariott is about to be renovated and converted to a JW.
Old May 13, 15, 10:33 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

This is my second week staying at this hotel. My first week I was assigned one of the ginormous suites that 365RoadWarrior was assigned as well. Yes it was large, but other than a work table with 3 straight backed chairs there is no more furniture than what is in a typical room. If for some reason you need room to run laps in your room I see no reason why you would want this room.

This week I was also upgraded to a deluxe room. Again it was bigger by square footage than a regular room I saw no real difference as to why I would ever want this room

Parking - there is only valet offered by the hotel. However, there is a flat parking lot right by the hotel and you pay at the machine with the stall number. The rate is $7.50 per 12 hour period. I am rarely at the hotel that much so if you pay at the machine at 7:45pm it expires at 7:45am the following morning. The nifty thing that I have not seen anywhere else is that when you pay you can enter your mobile number. About 10 min before expiration you get a text message asking if you want to extend your parking and you reply with the number of minutes and they charge you 60 cents per hour.
Old May 13, 15, 11:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prncess674 View Post
This is my second week staying at this hotel. My first week I was assigned one of the ginormous suites that 365RoadWarrior was assigned as well. Yes it was large, but other than a work table with 3 straight backed chairs there is no more furniture than what is in a typical room. If for some reason you need room to run laps in your room I see no reason why you would want this room.
I'm back in the hotel this week. My room has a sink/wet bar, sectional couch with ottoman or coffee table (I forget which), table and four chairs. It's on a corner with two sets of window in the bedroom and large window in the living room. Lots of wasted space, but a staircase on one side, meaning virtually no neighbors.

I didn't get the same room I had previously with distinct "kitchen", dining room, living room, bedroom setup and "circle" design.
Old May 13, 15, 12:41 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by 365RoadWarrior View Post
I'm back in the hotel this week. My room has a sink/wet bar, sectional couch with ottoman or coffee table (I forget which), table and four chairs. It's on a corner with two sets of window in the bedroom and large window in the living room. Lots of wasted space, but a staircase on one side, meaning virtually no neighbors.

I didn't get the same room I had previously with distinct "kitchen", dining room, living room, bedroom setup and "circle" design.
My room last week didnt have a kitchen but it did have a wet bar area. Again I am not sure what the point was since it had no additional amenities other than a small sink. It had all these cabinets and drawers, but still had the same small fridge and in room coffee set up. I suppose if you needed to set up shop or host a cocktail party in your room then this is the room for you but as a solo traveler I would rather have a real desk with proper task lighting and rolling office chair than the kitchen table with regular straight back chairs.

All the regular rooms have sectional sofa with big ottoman albeit in one big room.
Old May 13, 15, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by prncess674 View Post
My room last week didnt have a kitchen but it did have a wet bar area. Again I am not sure what the point was since it had no additional amenities other than a small sink. It had all these cabinets and drawers, but still had the same small fridge and in room coffee set up. I suppose if you needed to set up shop or host a cocktail party in your room then this is the room for you but as a solo traveler I would rather have a real desk with proper task lighting and rolling office chair than the kitchen table with regular straight back chairs.

All the regular rooms have sectional sofa with big ottoman albeit in one big room.
I think we're talking about roughly the same thing. I put "kitchen" in quotes to encompass the sink, refrigerator and long countertop. No oven or plates or utensils.

I hadn't really thought about the absence of a desk and rolling chair; if I was working in my room, you're right: I'd miss them.

You are, of course, also right about the sofa and ottoman as standard furnishing.

I think the enthusiasm in my original post was mainly driven by the fact that - good, bad or otherwise - those big suites sure didn't remind me of a Hyatt Place. Even the colors and fabrics were quite different. And recessed lighting and the hanging lamp over the table. It may not all be functional, and there is lots of wasted space by any measure.
Old Jun 14, 16, 2:02 pm

I have now stayed here 5-6 times the last year. It is our overnight "getaway" place to stay if there is a comedian we want to see at the Comedy Zone or other type of event in Charlotte. We live 75 minutes North of here in Winston-Salem.

We seem to get a different room type every time, but they are always much bigger than your average room at any other Hyatt. We've actually never used the shower but they all look really nice, just easier to roll out of bed and head home in the morning.

Location is great. As someone mentioned close enough to walk to a bunch of places but far enough away that it is quiet. By far the best part of the hotel isn't technically part of the hotel but is only an elevator ride away. Fahrenheit is up on the 21st floor. You can charge dinner to the room and get any points associated with the spend. It is one of our top 3 restaurants in the Carolinas. The view, the cocktails and the food can not be beat. It is a little on the pricey side, but if you are willing to spend good money for good food, you will not be disappointed.

It is a little bit of a pain that it is valet parking only. They also just changed the side entrance to a one way exit, so getting there is a little tricky, but worth the trip.
Old Sep 20, 20, 3:16 pm

Any recent reports? Thanks!

Search this Thread
Search Engine: